CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

That "classic" playlists. 343's incompetence knows no bounds.

CE was also "Halo One" in early concepts of MCC. It wasn't until the criticism until they changed it to "Halo: CE" before launch. When has CE ever been refereed to as "Halo One" before 343? It's almost like they hired people who were never fans of Halo.

Was it called Halo One in some of the UI images?

I gotta see that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Halo One" doesn't even make any sense. If it's the first entry it would just be called "Halo". How can they number it when it was the only game in the series!!!

Whoever put that in the game has no knowledge of the halo series, access to google, or common sense. Embarrassing..

• Upvote (+1) 4

Was it called Halo One in some of the UI images?

I gotta see that.

It definitely was. In the matchmaking section where you selected the game you want to play, it said "Halo One" with a shitty logo that had a number 1 inside the classic Halo 'O'. I'm having a hard time finding it after two years but it does exist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It definitely was. In the matchmaking section where you selected the game you want to play, it said "Halo One" with a shitty logo that had a number 1 inside the classic Halo 'O'. I'm having a hard time finding it after two years but it does exist.

Found a picture of the "1" at least. N6hjd9j.png

• Upvote (+1) 9

Found a picture of the "1" at least. N6hjd9j.png

That's it!

I also digged and found this image I made forever ago.

2GfQlk.png

Can't seem to find the pic where it says "Halo One" in the playlists though. It could have also been "Halo 1". Whatever it was, it certainly wasn't "CE".

• Upvote (+1) 4

"ske7ch wrote:

Ok well I hate to dampen everyone's excitement but with a lack of actual details earlier I know a lot of folks have gotten excited and made their own conclusions. I'm covering this a bit more tomorrow in the weekly update but the anniversary playlist is a collection of really sweet Forge-made Halo: CE maps in Halo 5. It'll have Halo 1 pistol weapon starts but gameplay-wise it's Halo 5. I know there are a lot of folks who definitely want a 'classic' gameplay experience (i.e. stripped down minus new stuff like sprinting, clamber, etc..) but I'm not sure if any such plans are in the works (or if it's technically even possible). I'll definitely bring it up at our next multiplayer meeting next week but for now wanted to at least give you proper context and expectations for next week."

HAHAHAHA ARE YOU KIDDING ME. He's not sure if it's "technically even possible" oh my god. You can't make this shit up. 343 are an absolute joke at this point.

I love how he starts the post off by basically saying "now I know this isn't what you guys actually want but..."

Lmfao JUST GIVE US WHAT WE ASK FOR FOR ONCE 343

• Upvote (+1) 3

I know I shouldn't be so triggered by the "technically possible" remark from ske7ch, but i am.

He should know. Granted he is new to the team, but he should know.

so I've played a lot of BTB lately, roughly 300 games in the past two months:

• There are way too many vehicles and they're ridiculously annoying, honestly completely ruins some maps.
  • I don't think BR starts are the problem, it's just the wide-open terrible maps that are the problem.  Pistol starts would turn into H3, where BRs were ineffective and sniper became way too powerful; even with reduced BR/DMR pickups I just don't think pistol starts would work for H5.  Also it would make vehicles even more OP.
  • In general, the maps are not great; the Headlong remake is okay, Eagle Square is not bad, a couple of the other Forge maps are pretty good.  If the weak maps were removed and solid new Forge maps added, I think the quality of games would increase quite a bit.  I quit the build way too much to avoid terrible maps.
  • Skill matchmaking seems somewhat effective, I haven't really had a lot of incredibly lopsided games.

I have to admit, I'm actually presently surprised at the comments from waypoint. They're actually calling out 343 on this ridiculous idea and linking them to the evolve settings thread. Good stuff all around from the halo community.

• Upvote (+1) 8

You guys were yelling at us for trying to push our Evolved settings to gain more popularity. We never got to the point where we turned 343's heads.

Look at what you've done. You fools.

I do have some sympathy for ske7ch at this point. It seems like he's the only person from 343 who has even dared to talk about *gasp* classic playlists, removing abilities, etc.

It's as if for a full year these things were taboo to consider given the huge push for integrated settings, and ske7ch finally says something about it.

Integrated settings are like political correctness and ske7ch is Donald Trump.

I do have some sympathy for ske7ch at this point. It seems like he's the only person from 343 who has even dared to talk about *gasp* classic playlists, removing abilities, etc.

It's as if for a full year these things were taboo to consider given the huge push for integrated settings, and ske7ch finally says something about it.

Integrated settings are like political correctness and ske7ch is Donald Trump.

He definitely has a hard job. If I was in his position, it would be near impossible for me to speak positively about Halo 5 without a hint of snark every few sentences. Though judging by his introduction last week, he seems to be genuinely on-board with the direction of the series.

You guys were yelling at us for trying to push our Evolved settings to gain more popularity. We never got to the point where we turned 343's heads.

Look at what you've done. You fools.

Haha man this isn't us... this is 343. Even if they saw it they just would have been like, "lol nah, there's no spartan abilities".

One thing I find hilarious is that zombies in infection have no sprint. But it's not possible to implement in a classic playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"ske7ch wrote:

Ok well I hate to dampen everyone's excitement but with a lack of actual details earlier I know a lot of folks have gotten excited and made their own conclusions. I'm covering this a bit more tomorrow in the weekly update but the anniversary playlist is a collection of really sweet Forge-made Halo: CE maps in Halo 5. It'll have Halo 1 pistol weapon starts but gameplay-wise it's Halo 5. I know there are a lot of folks who definitely want a 'classic' gameplay experience (i.e. stripped down minus new stuff like sprinting, clamber, etc..) but I'm not sure if any such plans are in the works (or if it's technically even possible). I'll definitely bring it up at our next multiplayer meeting next week but for now wanted to at least give you proper context and expectations for next week."

HAHAHAHA ARE YOU KIDDING ME. He's not sure if it's "technically even possible" oh my god. You can't make this shit up. 343 are an absolute joke at this point.

Christ, real ignorance 

So of course they've been given yet another perfect opportunity to make things right with bringing classic Halo fans and modern Halo fans together, and would still rather only appease modern Halo fans.

Shocker, they are also the only ones currently populating the game.

So its been 4 years with 343 now, and I'm to the point where my confusion about the current direction of the series is stopping me from playing entirely. I still love Halo, I still love the universe. I just have too many questions.

I guess my main question is 'how?' And this is not about the 'classic' playlist or whatever.

How... I'm genuinely curious and not out of anger; how can you still not know what a Halo game is? Despite being 'Halo fans' and having researched and extensively played the original games for so long, how can you still have no idea what made them good? I haven't been able to play Halo at all lately because I also haven't been able to grasp what makes your idea of Halo enjoyable to you. Always online? Missing core gametypes? No pregame lobbies? No competitive settings? Unfair matchmaking? Loot-only unlocks system? No split-screen?

Sad part is, despite all those drastic, game-defining changes in Spartan Abilities, Warzone, spartan chatter, weapon callouts, etc. we still haven't tackled what makes the series feel 'dated', either. The gameplay frankly still feels 'old'. Strafing is slow and unresponsive. Jumps have no in air acceleration, still. Melee lunges persist and will always be, an inconsistent and overly casual approach to melee. Other, frankly ill-conceived stuff that was never improved upon.

I'm not matched with players of similar connection strength and skill level to mine. I'm not matched properly with other solo players when searching solo. While playing solo a mic is required to communicate to my teammates and only if they speak English like I do. Meanwhile, I go into a game like Overwatch, that is purposely designed with 'dated' team shooter concepts, yet unlike Halo the game has built-in team commands specific to the language of the player? It properly matches me with players of similar connection strength and skill level? It doesn't match me with parties when playing solo?

And how long have server browsers been a thing in gaming yet it's still not in Halo? Yeah, Forge had a facelift, and Warzone is at least 'modern' in execution, but Halo 5 simply is not modern anywhere else. We're seeing steps backward in regards to modernizing more than anything.

They're really not responding to the call to modernize in useful ways that the series would actually benefit from.

• Upvote (+1) 6

So of course they've been given yet another perfect opportunity to make things right with bridging classic Halo fans and modern Halo fans together, and would still rather only appease the latter.

So its been 4 years with 343 now, and I'm to the point where my confusion about the current direction of the series is stopping me from playing entirely. I still love Halo, I still love the universe. I just have too many questions.

I guess my main question is 'how?' And this is not about the 'classic' playlist or whatever.

How... I'm genuinely curious and not out of anger; how can you still not know what a Halo game is? Despite being 'Halo fans' and having researched and extensively played the original games for so long, how can you still have no idea what made them good? I haven't been able to play Halo at all lately because I also haven't been able to grasp what makes your idea of Halo enjoyable to you. Always online? Missing core gametypes? No pregame lobbies? No competitive settings? Unfair matchmaking? Loot-only unlocks system? No split-screen?

Sad part is, despite all those drastic, game-defining changes in Spartan Abilities, Warzone, spartan chatter, weapon callouts, etc. we still haven't tackled what makes the series feel 'dated', either. The gameplay frankly still feels 'old'. Strafing is slow and unresponsive. Jumps have no in air acceleration, still. Melee lunges persist and will always be, an inconsistent and overly casual approach to melee. Other, frankly ill-conceived stuff stuff that was never improved upon.

I'm not matched with players of similar connection strength and skill level to mine. I'm not matched properly with other solo players when searching solo. While playing solo a mic is required to communicate to my teammates and only if they speak English like I do. Meanwhile, I go into a game like Overwatch, that is purposely designed with 'dated' team shooter concepts, yet unlike Halo the game has built-in team commands specific to the language of the player? It properly matches me with players of similar connection strength and skill level? It doesn't match me with parties when playing solo?

And how long have server browsers been a thing in gaming yet it's still not in Halo? Yeah, Forge had a facelift, and Warzone is at least 'modern' in execution, but Halo 5 simply is not modern anywhere else. We're seeing steps backward in regards to modernizing more than anything.

They're really not responding to the call to modernize in useful ways that the series would actually benefit from.

Halo 5 really is abysmal. No Pregame Lobby and after lobby is a shame, and you still cant chat in pre game lobby still right? shame

It is absolutely ridiculous that the only thing "classic" about the upcoming playlist is going to be a bastardized REQ version of the CE pistol as a starting weapon and some forge remakes. All of the abilities are going to be kept on. Just wow. They really do know how to please their fanbase.

And we thought Evolved settings had a shot at getting a playlist.  :kappa:

They turned their backs on Halo's roots a long time ago and are probably laughing hysterically at how painfully slow we are.

We're all just idiots and dreamers at this point.

I regret ever supporting Halo 5. Even without spending a cent on REQs I feel... defeated. I'm never gonna live this game down. I gave 343 another chance and they played with my trust again  :crying:

It'll have Halo 1 pistol weapon starts but gameplay-wise it's Halo 5. I know there are a lot of folks who definitely want a 'classic' gameplay experience (i.e. stripped down minus new stuff like sprinting, clamber, etc..) but I'm not sure if any such plans are in the works (or if it's technically even possible).

What an absolute waste of fucking time

• Upvote (+1) 2