CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Oh I know the idea could work. Its great in other games but they've struggled to implement it in a way that actually has it do its job. Some of that is population and some of it is probably just them being stubborn. 

If by "stubborn", you refer to shit like party restrictions, then yeah. 

If it's worth anything, Modern Warfare Remastered launched with all the original playlists from Call of Duty 4.

Exactly why H3A (if there is one) should be no different. Just don't bundle it with an over priced edition and I'm sure it'll do amazing. We'll just have to see how MWR holds up.

Yep. If it worked, it'd be great. But the system doesn't care what your rank is. You'll play who they want you to play, and that's that.

I still can't believe they went through all of the trouble of hiring Josh Menke and designing this system, and then didn't even put party restrictions in. It completely defeats the whole purpose of a ranking system.

They definitely fiddled with shit from when he was done with it and release of the game. I even remember a tweet where he said something along the lines of it being done and leaving it in their hands and they can alter it how they see fit. It has more problems than just lack of party restrictions. Lets not forget how easy it was to rank up at the start of the game and on top of that until 2 months ago you couldn't even derank in divisions lmao. Thats not a ranking system, thats a form of progression.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I just know for a fact that 343 isn't going to implement the party restriction system that H3 originally had and it's gonna make the game way worse than it should be.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I just know for a fact that 343 isn't going to implement the party restriction system that H3 originally had and it's gonna make the game way worse than it should be.

Exactly. Matchmaking restrictions only work if the population is large enough and that wasn't a problem at all for Halo 3. It would be a disaster for Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is it okey to post some old Halo 3 vids here? 

I'd imagine the MCC thread would be "more appropriate" but I'm also willing to bet almost no one will have a fit either way lol. So I'd say go ahead.

Exactly. Matchmaking restrictions only work if the population is large enough and that wasn't a problem at all for Halo 3. It would be a disaster for Halo 5.

The truly sad part is that it turns into a vicious cycle.

Low population leads to no party restrictions based on necessity. Lack of party restrictions make the game less enjoyable and further effects the population. So on and so on.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I disagree. I think they still work with lower populations. Everyone wants a fair match, even if theres only 50 people searching. We need a social alternative though, just in case.

The thing is, no party restrictions due to population becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.  People leave when its not there, and then you can't have them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The truly sad part is that it turns into a vicious cycle.

Low population leads to no party restrictions based on necessity. Lack of party restrictions make the game less enjoyable and further effects the population. So on and so on.

Halo 5 doesn't have low population because of bad restrictions. It has low population because of the gameplay. I don't know anyone that would say first "I stopped playing Halo 5 because of the party restrictions." There are always another 10 reasons above that. Now yes, party restrictions don't help but it's time to treat Halo 5 for what it is, a game that isn't even in the top 20 on the Xbox One alone. When developers make games that they know that are going to be in the same position, they do not add restrictions. This is one of the few things that I agree with 343 on. They waited to see how Halo 5 would do before adding certain restrictions, monitored the population, and then they made a decision based on the feedback of the game. This is a common practice for developers.

I disagree. I think they still work with lower populations. Everyone wants a fair match, even if theres only 50 people searching. We need a social alternative though, just in case.

The thing is, no party restrictions due to population becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.  People leave when its not there, and then you can't have them.

You're leaving out one huge barrier, search times. Yes, most won't mind playing with the same people over and over but that's when there are dedicated servers so there is no search time. That isn't the case for Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Halo 5 doesn't have low population because of bad restrictions. It has low population because of the gameplay. I don't know anyone that would say first "I stopped playing Halo 5 because of the party restrictions." There are always another 10 reasons above that. Now yes, party restrictions don't help but it's time to treat Halo 5 for what it is, a game that isn't even in the top 20 on the Xbox One alone. When developers make games that they know that are going to be in the same position, they do not add restrictions. This is one of the few things that I agree with 343 on. They waited to see how Halo 5 would do before adding certain restrictions, monitored the population, and then they made a decision based on the feedback of the game. This is a common practice for developers.

You're leaving out one huge barrier, search times. Yes, most won't mind playing with the same people over and over but that's when there are dedicated servers so there is no search time. That isn't the case for Halo 5.

I never implied it was the sole reason. I will say it is one of them, however. It will be a problem with the competitive integrity of the game, moving forward.

Halo 5 doesn't have low population because of bad restrictions. It has low population because of the gameplay. I don't know anyone that would say first "I stopped playing Halo 5 because of the party restrictions." There are always another 10 reasons above that.

Spot on as always, bro.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mine is also updating the entire game for this "small" update. Once again, their incompetence shines bright.

That'd be an Xbox issue, not a Halo 5/343 issue.

H3 worked just fine with its rank and party restrictions. The msg playlist only had 400 ish players before mcc release and you could still grind up to 50 solo queue just fine.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5 ranking System:

- Putting people into Onyx 1500 no matter what they do.

- Putting People into Platnum 5 even with 10/10 wins and 4.0 K/D. (not letting you have control of your placing)

- Not letting people derank into a lower Division. 

- Not showing the ranks people achieved in the game and its playlists. If you check my profile right now you cant see any ranks I ever had.

- Resetting the ranks every month takes away a lot of motivation. No point to start playing at october 25. because they reset soon anyway.

- Ranking up 1-3 CSR for a win and  then ranking down 25-30 CSR per loss was the reason at the end that made me stop playing completly.

- No party restrictions making the whole thing worthless anyway.

I prefer 1-50 over this^. I have to be insane.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Party restrictions is why I don't play ranked.  If you need one guy where its the main reason, thats me.  Searching solo and getting no-mic teammates that don't watch hit arrows, and you literally play against Mikwen and friends. It's bullshit, and it ruined the whole thing for me.

If the system gave good fair matches from the start, the population wouldn't plummet so bad. But even with a low population, as long as you had a social alternative, I think its ok to wait 3 or 4 minutes for a high quality game in a ranked playlist. When I search Arena and Slayer, I get a match super quick, but it is a GARBAGE game. The priorities are fucked.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Halo 5 ranking System:

- Putting People into Platnum 5 even with 10/10 wins and 4.0 K/D. (not letting you have control of your placing)

- Not letting people derank into a lower Division.

- Not showing the ranks people achieved in the game and its playlists. If you check my profile right now you cant see any ranks I ever had.

- Resetting the ranks every month takes away a lot of motivation. No point to start playing at october 25. because they reset soon anyway.

- Ranking up 1-3 CSR for a win and then ranking down 25-30 CSR per loss was the reason at the end that made me stop playing completly.

1-50 also felt like a journey, it became addictive because of that and the fact it was displayed on your profile and was tied to exp. Had motivation to make that number higher to get to that next landmark be it major, colonel, brigadier or general.

MCC also plagued by low population (so 50s matching 1s) and lack of party restrictions.

343 really just are clueless when it comes to creating features to support the game. There's no easy, fast way to analyse your stats, get a detailed analysis of other people in the lobby. The UI is terrible. This franchise is doomed and it's hilarious because there's no reason that it should be.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 5 ranking System:

- Not letting people derank into a lower Division. 

- Not showing the ranks people achieved in the game and its playlists. If you check my profile right now you cant see any ranks I ever had.

- Resetting the ranks every month takes away a lot of motivation. No point to start playing at october 25. because they reset soon anyway.

- Ranking up 1-3 CSR for a win and  then ranking down 25-30 CSR per loss was the reason at the end that made me stop playing completly.

Capping off initial ranking was their answer to too many people getting thrown into onyx right away.

You've been able to derank into a lower division for awhile now.

Not having a rank history in game is a huge issue. Makes achieving a rank feel pointless.

1-50 was way better imo as well. Both H2 and H3's versions.

Exactly why H3A (if there is one) should be no different. Just don't bundle it with an over priced edition and I'm sure it'll do amazing. We'll just have to see how MWR holds up.

The MW remaster is fucking amazing. I'm not even a huge CoD person but I loved that game and the remake is fucking perfect compared to anything like MCC. Its actually insane. I won't be surprised if it starts to eat at the player base of the new CoD even though they're bundled together

The MW remaster is fucking amazing. I'm not even a huge CoD person but I loved that game and the remake is fucking perfect compared to anything like MCC. Its actually insane. I won't be surprised if it starts to eat at the player base of the new CoD even though they're bundled together

Off topic but just a reminder that before this great CoD4 remake, 4jStudios had made an incredible remake of the Perfect Dark N64 game. This is a game that never had any intention of having online multiplayer, (Halo CE) yet they added a netcode that works damn well.

4JStudios does amazing things. They should have done Halo CE

• Upvote (+1) 1

Last time I looked IW was at #2 on the most played list and MWR was at #6. If MWR starts to be sold on its own, that gap may become quite small.