CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

But surely it would improve your enjoyment of the game?

I'm indifferent to those changes, the BR spread actually never bother me tbh. I'd enjoy the game if i had to rely less on my teammates plus faster movement and wider fov would be nice.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Out of curiosity as most of you guys hate H3 on here. What would you think of it if it was fixed in H3A? So there wasnt spread, dedicated servers, fixed movement and aiming, FOV change, ect.

Would you still hate the game? Would it completely change your opinion and enjoyment in any way?

I'm fine with H3 as is, but it would really help the game and make it more enjoyable.

Out of curiosity as most of you guys hate H3 on here. What would you think of it if it was fixed in H3A? So there wasnt spread, dedicated servers, fixed movement and aiming, FOV change, ect.

Would you still hate the game? Would it completely change your opinion and enjoyment in any way?

Competitive gameplay would be better and far more enjoyable overall, but casual gameplay still has AR's, equipment, radar, and many bad maps to deal with.

Competitive gameplay would be better and far more enjoyable overall, but casual gameplay still has AR's, equipment, radar, and many bad maps to deal with.

Dont see anything wrong with them in social personally. Not a big fan of equipment though.

Halo 3's FoV is just terrible and there is literally NOTHING good about spread. lol. H3 purists.

Spread is a method of balancing range, and is used for most Halo automatics.

It can be argued that recoil would be a lot better, but in most cases good players can control it and disregard the purpose of it being there in the first place. It can also be argued that damage drop-off would be better, but then you would have to explain that to the player that the BR is the exception in some way, because it's not a thing in any other halo weapon, unlike CoD where it's a feature of every weapon so everybody knows about it.

From memory H3 BR had the first bullet always centered (I think....) which is fair in the sense that hitting headshots should always kill a player with no shields from all ranges. I think the big mistake that Bungie made was not designing a netcode suitable for spread and projectiles, which let to the horrendous registration. It's a balancing concept that works in theory, but not in practice.

And It's not inherently bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Spread may not have bothered me personally in 3 but let's not kid ourselves about how dumb of a concept it is for a fps that isn't a combat sim.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Spread is a method of balancing range, and is used for most Halo automatics.

It can be argued that recoil would be a lot better, but in most cases good players can control it and disregard the purpose of it being there in the first place. It can also be argued that damage drop-off would be better, but then you would have to explain that to the player that the BR is the exception in some way, because it's not a thing in any other halo weapon, unlike CoD where it's a feature of every weapon so everybody knows about it.

From memory H3 BR had the first bullet always centered (I think....) which is fair in the sense that hitting headshots should always kill a player with no shields from all ranges. I think the big mistake that Bungie made was not designing a netcode suitable for spread and projectiles, which let to the horrendous registration. It's a balancing concept that works in theory, but not in practice.

And It's not inherently bad.

I thought it was fairly clear that I was referring to random spread on precision weapons in Halo, but OK. I am well aware of the rationale and, as I said simply, it has nothing but negative impacts on the ability of the BR to fill its role. Fundamentally, randomness of that nature exists solely to compress the skill gap by taking away control from the player. Good players have no better ability to account for it than absolutely terrible players. This is not good in any way for a weapon designed to reward aiming skill. The weapon's practical range can easily be limited through difficulty instead, which true projectiles, a relatively slow burst, and low aim assist/bullet mag already accomplish just fine. Even if the spread were not random, as I saw suggested for a change (instead of removing it), it would still be making the weapon less consistent, which is something a game already extremely team shot-dependent like H3 does not need.

​What isn't "inherently" bad? Spread as a concept? Random spread? Random spread on a precision utility weapon in Halo? What?

It's a consistent, low variability randomness.

Pro players knew what they were dealing with in h3 and from memory it rarely was a "skill-gap" issue and more of a "shots aren't registering" issue, and as we know the H3 br performed fine on LAN.

Randomness isn't inherently bad if it's implemented correctly, it's why most halo automatics can exist in the first place. You're describing it as if it's bloom, which was a horrible implementation of randomness and almost single handedly killed comp Halo.

You can't balance range with only aiming difficultly, because the best players won't care. The H5 pistol is a massive bitch to cross map outside of it's RRR, but that doesn't stop pros from cross mapping in their sleep.

I might have "aiming skill" if I could hit people with the centre of my shotgun reticle from the other side of the map, but it wouldn't make sense for me to actually hit the shot.

As a designer you have to create a way to logically and visually indicate a limited range. Bungie messed up but it didn't break the game, competitive H3 had way bigger problems imo.

This 'behind the scenes' update just corrupted my game and now I have to reinstall 91 gb of fucking Halo 5 with a 1mb connection.

Thank you 343.

This 'behind the scenes' update just corrupted my game and now I have to reinstall 91 gb of fucking Halo 5 with a 1mb connection.

Thank you 343.

dont bother redownloading it

Outside of nostalgia, I see no reason for this.

It's for variety. There is no reason for H3A to launch missing the playlists it had. Removing things people like isn't a way to keep a game going. In fact I'd say if you want H3A to flop, launch it missing playlists just like H5. Especially since H3 was full of things to do, removing them from the remaster would kill the hype.

Also, 1-50 is strictly for nostalgia. I could care less about whether it's tiers or number ranks, just that there's a rank. I just meant it as "we need ranked playlists."

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's the point.

I'm just kidding.

Besides removing the spread or increasing the FOV or movement speed, everything should stay the same. Even then, increasing the movement speed and having no spread would greatly improve the game, I would think.

Having no spread would change the game a lot, and I am not sure I'd like that. The meta and the way the game is played would change drastically because of the increased effective BR range. 

Having no spread would change the game a lot, and I am not sure I'd like that. The meta and the way the game is played would change drastically because of the increased effective BR range.

I see. I would like to see the net code be fixed, as I don't know if the net code itself is the problem, or the spread. I'm still not a fan or the spread however, but I can deal with it.

Outside of nostalgia, I see no reason for this.

I'll be real, I never want to see 1-50 again when divisions and placements are a much better system.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I see. I would like to see the net code be fixed, as I don't know if the net code itself is the problem, or the spread. I'm still not a fan or the spread however, but I can deal with it.

It's both. The spread is preventing you from killing people too far away from you. That is what it is intended to do. Right now it is not possible to kill someone standing where the laser is located at Valhalla, while you are in one of the bases for example because then they are out of the BR's effective range. You have to push up all the way to around the Pelican from the Water-base before you can start to really deal damage to the other player. 

In Halo 4 or Halo 5 you can ping people across the map with numerous weapons. One of the reasons the map Valhalla play vastly different from Halo 3 to Halo 4 is because of this. 

You see there is a big difference in having to move all the way to the Pelican vs being able to do the same amount of damage hanging around at the back of your base. Removing spread is going to change the way Halo 3 is played in a lot of situations, and then ultimately it is not going to be the same game anymore. 

I'll be real, I never want to see 1-50 again when divisions and placements are a much better system.

I have no idea why we even talk about any of this. 343 has never created a ranking system that actually works. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

It's for variety. There is no reason for H3A to launch missing the playlists it had. Removing things people like isn't a way to keep a game going. In fact I'd say if you want H3A to flop, launch it missing playlists just like H5. Especially since H3 was full of things to do, removing them from the remaster would kill the hype.

Also, 1-50 is strictly for nostalgia. I could care less about whether it's tiers or number ranks, just that there's a rank. I just meant it as "we need ranked playlists."

If it's worth anything, Modern Warfare Remastered launched with all the original playlists from Call of Duty 4. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have no idea why we even talk about any of this. 343 has never created a ranking system that actually works. 

I mean, this system (Halo 5's) works, but things like low population and a lack of party restrictions hamper it greatly. Not like the system itself is booty. 

I mean, this system (Halo 5's) works, but things like low population and a lack of party restrictions hamper it greatly. Not like the system itself is booty. 

Oh I know the idea could work. Its great in other games but they've struggled to implement it in a way that actually has it do its job. Some of that is population and some of it is probably just them being stubborn. 

Yep. If it worked, it'd be great. But the system doesn't care what your rank is. You'll play who they want you to play, and that's that.

I still can't believe they went through all of the trouble of hiring Josh Menke and designing this system, and then didn't even put party restrictions in. It completely defeats the whole purpose of a ranking system.

• Upvote (+1) 3