CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Millions purchased Halo 3. If you're trying to imply that millions were online in Halo 3, concurrently, for 3 years, you are fucking high and you need to educate yourself. At it's best it had around 100,000 people online at any given point, which is really good, but it's not millions like you keep saying. That's sales, not active population. You sound ridiculous when you keep saying millions like they're all online at once, especially when in the same sentence you reference Halo 5's current population.

Sometimes I feel like you're so used to speaking in hyperbole, that you don't realize you're doing it anymore.

H3 did still often hit over a million DAILY users 3 years in and well over 100,000 concurrent. Sometimes over 200,000.

Am I the only person here aware of waybackwhen?

• Upvote (+1) 8

What the fuck are you going on about?

Siege did horribly at launch, and it's by far one of the most complex shooters on the market.

Are you randomly pulling up games that you have zero knowledge about and hoping that the actual players wouldn't notice?

It had a slight hitch after launch due to bugs but as soon as they were ironed out the population soared and has been high and steady ever since.

The meta of the game is very deep, but the actual core controls and mechanics are quite simplistic and easy to grasp. Much like CS GO. Much like older Halo games. Much like older COD games. It's no coincidence that all of those games were popular while all these games that features 35 button uses are floundering.

Titanfall 1 has so far sold over 11 million copies, meaning it was very popular. The only downside to the game was that it didn't reward the players that played it, it basically lacked content.

H4 sold how many copies?

I guess it was incredibly popular as well right?

If anything high sales coupled with low population is even more of an indication of unpopular MP than low sales and low population.

Sorry for the triple post. I see the multi quote button. Not entirely sure how it works though.

Sorry for the triple post. I see the multi quote button. Not entirely sure how it works though.

The multi-quote button won't work for you until you press the green arrow on my post. It's odd I know but I don't make the rules.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Just played 5v5 social snipes, I've played smaller maps on Battlefield... wtf is this. I'll stick to Arena

So I can proudly say I pretty much haven't touched H5 since launch week. But, last night my cousin and I who haven't had the chance to talk in quite a few months had our free evenings line up, so we decided to play some Xbox together. After browsing both our game libraries, the only game we shared was H5.

I throw us into Warzone, because I figure its the most casual playlist where we'll be able to just mess around and have some fun getting used to the game. What follows was 20 minutes of us being trapped in the base while the other team bombarded us with vehicles, specialty REQ weapons, etc etc etc. We finally lost with a score of around 500-1000, and both of us promptly laughed, quit the game, and I went to go buy the new COD game.

This is why your games never hold a casual audience, 343. For one, the game is just too fucking complicated now. I haven't played this game in ages and while I can aim fine, I'm not caught up on the all the ridiculous tricks that come with thruster, slide, ground pound, etc. Then you have the insane cascading advantages that come just with someone being able to spawn in with a BR, rather than the pistol and AR I was stuck attempting to ping people across map with. And of course, the ranking system may as well not even exist at this point. This was my first game in literally months and I don't think my cousin had ever even played the game. We got absolutely trashed our first game back. In Halo 3, I would have just thrown us into BTB, and while we probably still would have lost and not gotten too many kills, at least we would have been able to have a good time messing around with vehicles and stuff, and not had Mr. Warzone Hero thrusting around us using insane REQs.

Part of it is just that Halo used to have a lot more people playing, but in Halo 3 if I had a friend over who wasn't very familiar with the game, we could go into social and have a good time. There would usually be at least one person in the game who was good and would get a lot of kills, but the rest of the players would typically be around that person's level.

You could at least have some fun with the game, which just doesn't seem to be possible for "casual" players in H5.

> Preaches #immersion and #sustain in every single forum post and press piece leading up to H5

> Designs a play-to-win game mode that, after the first couple of months or so, inherently prevents new players from being able to jump in and have some fun, since there's like no skill matching and they won't have anything unlocked and have to use a fucking pistol against their opponents, who by that time have endless reserves of upgraded railguns, snipers, and tanks to spawn ad infinitum. 

Then, for good measure, designs a payout system that gives MORE UNLOCK POINTS to the winning team for extending the game and padding their stats, as opposed to completing the stated "alternate objective" of destroying the other team's core quickly to end a mismatch.

I don't have a snarky one-liner to cap this off. They're dumb. That's it.

• Upvote (+1) 9

H4 sold how many copies?

I guess it was incredibly popular as well right?

If anything high sales coupled with low population is even more of an indication of unpopular MP than low sales and low population.

Units sold tells you more about the previous entry in the series than the current one.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I remember seeing a post on the math of how the "rando-ness" affects a br fight assuming both players are bad as hell and are out in the open fouring each other- I don't remember the exact numbers but I do know that if you honestly feel like killing with the gun is a dice roll. Like actually a dice roll, you are the problem and nothing else.

Exactly. The "randomness" is vastly overstated by who I'm assuming to have been force colonels and below. If the BR performed half as bad as these H3 haters claim, I would have quit playing Halo 3 in the same amount of time as I did Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I thought some spawns in H5 were bad, but in BF1 I'm spawning right behind and in the middle of enemies and they're doing the same on me. I know it's casual, but damn.

Units sold tells you more about the previous entry in the series than the current one.

You realise this conversation is primarily about titanfall 1 right?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought some spawns in H5 were bad, but in BF1 I'm spawning right behind and in the middle of enemies and they're doing the same on me. I know it's casual, but damn.

BF1 is pretty bad, has performance issues and has 0 competitive value.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

You could at least have some fun with the game, which just doesn't seem to be possible for "casual" players in H5.

Yeah it's true. The game is both complicated and confusing for beginners while at the same time isn't very balanced or rewarding for competitive play. This completely kills any of the more social oriented playlists like Warzone and BTB.

Halo used to be easy to pick up and enjoy while hard to master...

But hey the Arena 4v4 playlists are not that bad this time I guess.

So I can proudly say I pretty much haven't touched H5 since launch week. But, last night my cousin and I who haven't had the chance to talk in quite a few months had our free evenings line up, so we decided to play some Xbox together. After browsing both our game libraries, the only game we shared was H5.

I throw us into Warzone, because I figure its the most casual playlist where we'll be able to just mess around and have some fun getting used to the game. What follows was 20 minutes of us being trapped in the base while the other team bombarded us with vehicles, specialty REQ weapons, etc etc etc. We finally lost with a score of around 500-1000, and both of us promptly laughed, quit the game, and I went to go buy the new COD game.

This is why your games never hold a casual audience, 343. For one, the game is just too fucking complicated now. I haven't played this game in ages and while I can aim fine, I'm not caught up on the all the ridiculous tricks that come with thruster, slide, ground pound, etc. Then you have the insane cascading advantages that come just with someone being able to spawn in with a BR, rather than the pistol and AR I was stuck attempting to ping people across map with. And of course, the ranking system may as well not even exist at this point. This was my first game in literally months and I don't think my cousin had ever even played the game. We got absolutely trashed our first game back. In Halo 3, I would have just thrown us into BTB, and while we probably still would have lost and not gotten too many kills, at least we would have been able to have a good time messing around with vehicles and stuff, and not had Mr. Warzone Hero thrusting around us using insane REQs.

Part of it is just that Halo used to have a lot more people playing, but in Halo 3 if I had a friend over who wasn't very familiar with the game, we could go into social and have a good time. There would usually be at least one person in the game who was good and would get a lot of kills, but the rest of the players would typically be around that person's level.

This stuff makes me sad, i mean I agree on most of what you’re saying but eventhough you mean well, you shove money up the games ass that played a huge role in Halos generall change…why don’t you just support good games? Gears 4 does it’s best not blindly following trends, has split screen and a social mode (which I did not play yet so I cannot tell if it is actually „social-capable“ but it should be better then H5 would be my guess plus you still have horde)

This stuff makes me sad, i mean I agree on most of what you’re saying but eventhough you mean well, you shove money up the games ass that played a huge role in Halos generall change…why don’t you just support good games? Gears 4 does it’s best not blindly following trends, has split screen and a social mode (which I did not play yet so I cannot tell if it is actually „social-capable“ but it should be better then H5 would be my guess plus you still have horde)

Maybe his cousin didn't have Gears, and that's why he got Call of Duty. 

Just read ske7ch's Q&A. I fuckin like this guy, really. The kind of stuff he's divulging is the amount of communication I've wanted out of 343 for years. A podcast with him, Frankie and Grim? Hell yes.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Maybe his cousin didn't have Gears, and that's why he got Call of Duty. 

yeah might be it, I somehow missed the "I" and thought both bought it that day..

yeah might be it, I somehow missed the "I" and thought both bought it that day..

Yeah, my cousin has COD, which is why I bought it, FWIW.

Just read ske7ch's Q&A. I fuckin like this guy, really. The kind of stuff he's divulging is the amount of communication I've wanted out of 343 for years. A podcast with him, Frankie and Grim? Hell yes.

The OG bungie podcast that he did with Frankie and Luke Smith was really good actually. Really funny.

@@MultiLockOn

Is there a difference between map design and map layout?

I suppose this could really just boil down to semantics but to best answer that question, a maps layout is one aspect of map design. Whereas map design (level design) is the more overarching practice that encompasses the layout, weapon placement, art, spawns, etc. At least that seems to be the generally accepted terminology.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Unbelievable.

Italy, almost 15 PM of sunday
Team Slayer, Balanced
Did only 1 qualification match yesterday, past season was Diamond 6

Cannot find a single game. Only "Not enough players in this playlist" messages. How can this be possible?

Dammit, playing this game has become really impossible...
It makes me furious thinking that on Titanfall 2 is possible to find games in selectable servers with a very low ping even in less populated playlists (like 30-50 players total) in LESS THAN A MINUTE.

Just a bad joke.

PS: I don't try expanded simply because i care about my mental sanity.

A lot of his answers were non-answers though. I know he is in a larger company structure now than the og bungie days and is trying to not get canned his first week. Hopefully he'll use his experience and status to push back and get us some more honest answers because i get the feeling thats what he wants, which is good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unbelievable.

Italy, almost 15 PM of sunday

Team Slayer, Balanced

Did only 1 qualification match yesterday, past season was Diamond 6

Cannot find a single game. Only "Not enough players in this playlist" messages. How can this be possible?

Dammit, playing this game has become really impossible...

It makes me furious thinking that on Titanfall 2 is possible to find games in selectable servers with a very low ping even in less populated playlists (like 30-50 players total) in LESS THAN A MINUTE.

Just a bad joke.

PS: I don't try expanded simply because i care about my mental sanity.

Titanfall uses JIP and ranks are individual and linear so there are also less parameters it has to sayisfy to find you a game. Thats not an excuse for H5, Just context

A lot of his answers were non-answers though. I know he is in a larger company structure now than the og bungie days and is trying to not get canned his first week. Hopefully he'll use his experience and status to push back and get us some more honest answers because i get the feeling thats what he wants, which is good.

But I feel like this time, he gives non answers to save his own ass rather than to hide the mistakes of the company like Bravo did. He may not be saying much, but he's saying much more than Bravo.