CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Is anyone else experiencing fucking horrific frame rate? I don't know what the deal is. A couple days ago I was playing on my box and my monitor and it was fine. Today I'm playing on my girlfriends box and her TV, and it's like playing an N64 game.

Are you playing BTB by any chance?

Are you playing BTB by any chance?

Nah, I'm trying everything. Warzone, Warzone Assault, Team Arena, you name it.

I feel the opposite. I can't find myself having fun in 343 Warthogs unless it was the broken Gauss Hog in H4.

• Easy hitboxes to kill a gunner
  • Clunky handling, very heavy (Warthogs in H3 were made of helium and it was amazing)
  • Weak (from my experience) turret with overheating, the most unnecessary buzzkill to be introduced to Halo
  • Low HP

I think 343's Banshee is one of the more fun vehicles they've presented. In fact, all of their air vehicles are very fun. Phaeton, Wasp, and Banshee all are extremely enjoyable for me.

This. Plus the fact that vehicle physics feel so 'static', not reactive to the environment. When you hit a wall you barely feel it, grav hammers barely nudge you, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Since were talking BtB H3 Standoff is the goat BtB experience tbh and it doesn't really work in H5 because of the weak vehicles and having hitscan weapons that can cross map.

I would agree that H3 had the best warthog, overheating is an unnecessary mechanic (especially with how vulnerable the gunner is), and the HP is lower than I would like, although it's hardly a problem since the gunner always dies 2 or 3 times before the warthog does anyways.  But I like the way it handles.  I've liked the way all the warthogs have handled, minus how comically easy it was to flip them over in Reach.

I think if you gave the base warthog the same durability as the Oni Warthog and made it so the turret didn't overheat it would be essentially perfect since that way the Hog wouldn't be made out of paper and actually be a threat.

Though having vehicle health linked to shields would be a simpler solution since that's what H3 vehicles used and it had the most balanced btb.

Tried hard resetting?

Though having vehicle health linked to shields would be a simpler solution since that's what H3 vehicles used and it had the most balanced btb.

I never liked the health system Halo 3 used for vehicles, outside of the occasional power weapon it was near impossible to take one down if the players knew what they were doing.

Every Reach vehicle > every 343-made vehicle. Reach vehicles handle sensibly, realistically, and logically...ghost included.

I mean yeah, I remember always staying on the ground when I got in a ghost in Halo: Reach. For some reason, everytime I get into a ghost in H5, it just soars immediately into the stratosphere for no reason.

Also, my Magnum is now shooting actual french fries... This game is designed so illogically. 

I miss vehicles have strong armour so you can't just teamshot them down, and instead have super strong armour with specific weak points to counter.

idk, I like how you can actually take down hogs and waps now. Memories of people getting untouchables on standoff spawn fucking you with a hog while your bullets bounce off them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Weeks since they released Halo Forge to PC.  It feels like they haven't said a word about upcoming updates, progress on a server browser. Halo is dead to me. So many other good games to play right now. 

I'm working on Gears, The Division since they just put out a huuuuuge patch and got the Destiny collection.  I forgot what decent aiming feels like....

I never liked the health system Halo 3 used for vehicles, outside of the occasional power weapon it was near impossible to take one down if the players knew what they were doing.

I think they should require power weapons to take them down vehicles are supposed to be a threat something they haven't really been in every game post H3 because how easily they can be taken down and the game should reward laser control.

I mean like I said earlier I think that base vehicles with higher durability would be an alright substitute but I think that's highly unlikely simply because of the fact that REQs exist now and they have to be an upgrade.

Tried hard resetting?

Have you played any backward compatible games lately?  Played peggle yesterday with my wife on BC, then switched to Destiny and had to hard reset.

idk, I like how you can actually take down hogs and waps now. Memories of people getting untouchables on standoff spawn fucking you with a hog while your bullets bounce off them.

I think that has less to do with the relative strength of vehicles in Halo 3 and more to do with the fact that Standoff is a garbage map.

For me H3 had vehicle balance down perfectly. They were really strong, but not the easiest to use.

Vehicles in Halo games after H3 were way too weak.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think that has less to do with the relative strength of vehicles in Halo 3 and more to do with the fact that Standoff is a garbage map.

How is it a garbage map when its one of the most popular BTB maps? What makes it garbage?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Eh, in my opinion, Halo 5 had some really solid UNSC vehicles. Warthog, even the Mongoose. The Wasp also feels pretty good. Much better than say, the Hornet.

The mongoose felt best in Halo 3 to me. The WASP handles exactly like the Phaeton. Idk, the best flying vehicle IMO was the Falcon. I spent hours just flying around Forge world in the Falcon for no damn reason other than it was just an awesome vehicle.

I honestly don't see how people think it was so difficult to take out a Hog in H3. Especially Standoff. A PP or Powerdrain and 2 stickies and the vehicle is done. Not to mention the 2 rocket spawns and the splaser.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tried hard resetting?

Have you played any backward compatible games lately?  Played peggle yesterday with my wife on BC, then switched to Destiny and had to hard reset.

I'll give it a shot, thanks guys. After having played with this frame rate, I can REALLY see how the dynamic resolution and the frame rate adjusting could really fuck with the aiming. I can't track shots for shit right now.

Agreed. I have no problem with vehicle health in H5. They don't feel papery to me like they did in H2A. My biggest gripe is how quickly a gunner can be team shot out of a warthog. A smart driver can survive a long time, but a being a gunner is suicidal. And the gun is not worth the risk either; i have no idea why they have it overheat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I definitely like that you don't need power weapons to take out vehicles. I hated feeling helpless, and like I was wasting my time when I shot at vehicles in H2 and H3.

However, if they're going to use a cumulative health model, the hitpoints need to be pretty damn high. Reach and Halo 4's ghost are perfect example of their health being too low.

Or just design them so they flip easily like Halo one, they can't blow up, and have easy hit boxes while driving.   I love everything about the vehicles in Halo one.  It was so simple and they've never done vehicles that great since. 

I'm working on Gears, The Division since they just put out a huuuuuge patch and got the Destiny collection.  I forgot what decent aiming feels like....

I am playing Gears coop which is pretty fun.  Titanfall 2 campaign is really awesome.  Multiplayer is pretty fun too.  And of course BF1, both MP and Single Player are awesome.  Playing Forza Horizon 3 with my ole lady when she wants to play. So many good games out right now. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I understand why Brad likes H3 and Reach BTB, because I like them too. But it's unfair, and straight up inaccurate, to say that everything from those games is better than everything from H4 and 5. That's ideology and bias getting in the way of objective evaluation. I get it, you don't like Spartan Abilities or the weapon sandbox. Explain how that makes Halo 5's ghost's handling bad again? Oh that's right, it fucking doesn't. It's completely unrelated.

I don't think it's an unfair assessment at all. I cannot think of one thing that Halo 5 does better or even on the same level as Reach, not one thing. I consider myself a "true" Halo player as I've played many, many thousands of games of Halo 2, Halo 3, and way, way too much Reach(don't have a new Halo game to move on to). Now, think to yourself....why is it that someone who has played many thousands of games of Halo 2, 3, and Reach cannot tolerate Halo 4 or Halo 5? Is it that I'm biased(for no reason at all) or is that Halo 4 and Halo 5 just flat out suck? H5's ghost handling feels unrealistic and unbalanced compared to Reach's perfect ghost. But how about that Halo 5 wraith? What a piece of work that thing is.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

In most games the warthog was never hard to kill. You just had to be a little smart about even though it came to a stall, between the two teams. There are 6 easy ways to take down the warthog on Standoff. 

1) Rocket

2) Laser

3) Using the warthog yourself

4) Power Drain 

5) Sticky grenade 

6) Camo with or without all the options above

If the teams are balanced every option should be available to you. If the teams are heavily unbalanced or the other team got map control luckily, most of the time, only two of those options are available, Power Drains, and Sticky Grenades. I have a feeling since you complain about you probably did some horrible mistakes, like using the Warthog or thinking your Superman taking on the whole team by yourself. 

It's though, but the tactic you have to use once the enemy got map control was to stay in base. Force a stall-mate between the 2 teams, so their Warthog is irrelevant for the time being. Once you have a sticky grenade or a power drain you wait for the Warthog to do drive up behind your base where you can easily stick the hog or power drain it. A lot of warthogs drivers will drive up behind your base and put themselves in a position where you are almost given an instant kill. 

Unfortunately for the team trapped in the base, at High level 50 you would sometimes meet incredibly good teams with really smart players that would not drive up behind your base. This is where it becomes incredibly hard for the team trapped in the base to recover from such a bad position. You have to stick the warthog from a distance most of the time. Obviously in all games different opportunities occur and the trapped team may be able to somehow grab the laser, rocket or camo, but that doesn't happen that often. 

Even though staying in the base is a good option many times, there is a problem with staying in the base. You are such an easy target for the Rocket Launcher. 

Where do you go then? If you can't stay in your base and you can barely survive outside. You go all the way to back of each base. Behind the bases. The warthog can't drive around you and the rocket becomes a lot less useful, because you are in an open area. It's not a very good position by any means, but sometimes it may be your best bet anyway. The Laser and Power Drain is probably the scariest weapons that could be used against you back there. You have to stay back there and pick them off, one by one with your BR only. If everyone focus on killing their Warthog while staying alive themselves, and you manage to do, you have a pretty good chance of getting a comeback. 

• Upvote (+1) 1