CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Look, I love Halo 3 as much as the next guy, but it's sandbox was shit. Nearly every weapon barring the BR in that game was downright unusable.

I agree with you to an extent that Halo 5's sandbox doesn't have a lot of depth. Nearly every weapon is just an upgrade to TtK and/or ease of use. BUT that being said, the Magnum is the closest we've had to all the necessary traits a utility weapon needs.

H3's sandbox wasn't much different from H2's. BR, carbine, sniper, rockets, laser, shotgun, sword, mauler were totally usable. What more do you need?! Other weapons like needler and AR were usable too, just more niche. The primary starting weapon(BR) should be the weapon that is mainly used anyways and that's how it was in H3.

What good is a magnum in a sandbox filled with depthless rifles and overpowered autos?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

H3's sandbox wasn't much different from H2's. BR, carbine, sniper, rockets, laser, shotgun, sword, mauler were totally usable. What more do you need?! Other weapons like needler and AR were usable too, just more niche. The primary starting weapon(BR) should be the weapon that is mainly used anyways and that's how it was in H3.

What good is a magnum in a sandbox filled with depthless rifles and overpowered autos?

Halo 3 and Halo 2 had the worst weapon sandboxes in the entire series. That's not an accomplishment.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If you had host everything were usable. You could run around and out gun players with dual spikers. 

Always usable weapons in Halo 3 were: Ar, Br, Carbine, Snipers, Rockets, Laser, Shotgun, Sword, Mauler, Smg, Plasma Rifle, Brute Shot, Gravity Hammer

Smg/plasma rifle, Plasma/Plasma rifle combos were super deadly combo's, you didn't see enough of unfortunately.  

Not every weapon were useful in every scenario but they all had their specifics uses, and I would use all of the weapons above in different scenarios, and different places on each map. I think that anyone who didn't use any of the same weapons listed above either didn't play enough of the game to figure out their uses, or just weren't good enough to effectively use them in the different scenarios. I think a lot of beginners played BTB only and that might be a reason they find a lot of the sandbox useless. You will almost never use a Plasma rifle on a BTB map, compared to for example Guardian. The Plasma Rifle could be used in 25 to 30% of the battle scenarios on Guardian, because of how the map is made, and how most of the battles plays out because of this. On the contrary on a big map where most battles would play out long range, you would maybe only be able to use the plasma rifle for 10% of your battles. I guess it depends on the gamemode as well though, because some game modes forces close combat. If you play capture the flag or oddball there might be a much bigger use of close combat weapons on the map, because it really forces close combat scenarios. It's just like king of the hill gametype forces you to use much more grenades than in other game types as well. Something a lot of beginners don't think of is that in Halo 3 because of the equipment you can actually force a lot close combat fights much more easily. You pick up a regenerator, and you pick a Plasma Rifle shotgun and you don't really focus on killing the opponent, but getting close to them so you can pull out that regenerators and use the Plasma Rifle for an easy kill. 

Not worth picking up ever unless host: Needler and Spikers. 

I wonder why the Forerunner weapon never saw any light of the day in matchmaking? Maybe it did, I don't remember. 

I am pretty sure I played Halo 3 more than anyone on this forum with 30k games, and more than 15k ranked games. There is personally only a handful of things I want to change. I'd like the movement speed increased to 110%, for 2 reasons. It's a little bit quicker, but it also opens up for more jumps. The needler and spiker needs tweaks so that they can work offhost. I want the hammer to always punch through walls, like it does on host. I think that is the way it was intended, and it should also do so offhost. Some equipment can be redone. The radar Jammar and flare is not very useful at the moment. I want the spread to stay, but it doesn't have to be random. It should spread out as much as it does, but in a controlled manner, and equal every time. I love the Fov of Halo 3, and I see no reason to change it. 

I am not sure what Bungie intented when they made the Tank and Wraith and other vehicles. The tank is obviously much better than the Wraith in most cases. It's the same with the Warthog vs the Prowler, and the Hornet vs the Banshee. The Warthog and Hornet is much better than their counter parts. I am not sure they wanted them to be equal, and obviously they don't really have to either. Sometimes you may need a less OP vehicle on one map for example. 

Except for the ratios of maps in matchmaking, I don't think there is much more I would like to change. Obviously the connection needs to become better, but I can't think of anything else at the moment no.  

Hey, all!

:ghost:

Saw Josh posting about the aiming in Halo 5 in response to some of your questions and figured it'd be a good time to lend some insight. That being said, yes, the aiming did change a little bit from Beta up until now. During the Beta, close-range gameplay felt fluid, mid-range felt decent, and long-range felt flat-out squirrelly. So, our Pro Team went through numerous tests over the course of a few months with our lead sandbox designer, Chris King, and the rest of his team in regards to how our how aim felt leading up to the release. There were some days where our entire team despised it, other days where our team had a split-decision, and finally one day where we all felt extremely comfortable with it.

Now, to be fair, we've played this game for two years, so we do have a lot more time spent getting comfortable with the movement, as well as the weaponry. Nevertheless, like any other Halo player, we all know how good our shots are when it comes to a Halo utility weapon, and that day, we felt it. Thus, after careful tweaking, constant iteration, and daily discussion, we landed on our favorite fit. It gave players the perfect blend of sensitivity across all three ranges. Yes, close-range might feel a little bit harder to control at first, but in the long run, you will all learn to adjust to it for the better. Shooting the magnum in this game is very particular, seemingly like how Killer N or StK Tupac shot their pistols in Halo 1. At first, it's going to be tough, but it will get much better with practice. Even to this day, shooting a Halo 1 pistol up-close is extremely challenging though, right? ;)

Furthermore, since the game is running at 60FPS, and the mobility is so fast in-game, I want to reiterate that everyone of us needs to adjust to how the aim-adhesion will feel for Halo 5. It's a bit tricky at first - using a single-shot weapon to essentially swipe over an enemy as you pull the trigger feels different than before. Also, in the Halo 5: Guardians Beta, a bug slipped through the cracks that had a delayed aim-assist problem. You could swipe your reticle over an opponent, and the game would display Red Reticle, but it was after a 5ms delay. Thankfully, we were able to address that issue and fix it before launch. So now, everything should feel very smooth. Nonetheless, we are actively listening to feedback, and we are always welcome to change. So, if players do feel this strongly about the aim after a few weeks, our teams will without a doubt revisit the sensitivity curves in Halo 5.

Anyways, haven't had the chance to say it yet - hope everyone truly enjoys Halo 5 here! I know I haven't posted on these forums in quite some time, but I assure you that I'll be frequenting them much more now that the game has launched. So, as always, feel free to leave your unadulterated feedback below! 

-Ghost

Bumping Just Because  :lxthul:

The only things that really need to change for H3A is remove the horrid the spread, give us H5 strafe acceleration options, things like netcode will obviously be fixed since it will be 2017.

If I press back to check the team scores, my game freezes for a good second or two.

Any fixes?

Nope.

Halo 3 requires no balance changes...right. You know, some of your claims and statements regarding anything having to do with 343 remind me of Wargod, but at least his standards and praise apply to a deserving game. You make these sweeping generalizations based on almost zero experience, and then hold up this mediocre ass game in H3 as the end all be all. Halo 3 was good in spite of its game balance, not because of it.

Halo 5 has BY FAR the best handling ghost in the entire series. I would know. It's been my favorite vehicle for the entire series, and I' ve used the shit out of all of them. I wouldn't expect you to know how good the H5 ghost is because I can't imagine you've used it much, but naturally that didn't stop you from making sweeping claims based on limited to no experience with it. The H5 ghost is the way it should have been all along. Halo 4's was better than 3's too, but it was too vulnerable to Loadout rifles. The thing handled like a dream though. Certainly better than H3's City Bus simulator.

There are plenty of things to rip 343 on, and for the most part you and I are on the same page, but when you rip them for shit they actually did well you lose credibility.

My claims and statements about 343 are based on facts. I have almost zero experience on Halo 5 because it doesn't meet my standard for a Halo game or even just for a video game. The game is a stressful, frustrating, and rage inducing experience. Do I really have to put myself through more torture of playing Halo 5 to continue to comment on how bad it is? Halo 3, although far from perfect, is an absolute dream in comparison. Hell, Reach BTB is a dream compared to Halo 5, which says more about H5 than Reach.

H3 ghost handled great and Reach ghost is even better, certainly better than H4 and H5's ghost and it's wacky physics. 11,000 Reach ghost kills, I would know. Every Bungie-made Reach vehicle trumps every 343-made vehicle. Hell, I would take the H2 archaic wraith over the H5 wraith.

343 has done nothing well enough to keep my interest in any of their Halo games. Not sure how I lose credibility for being honest and telling it like it is.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

My claims and statements about 343 are based on facts. I have almost zero experience on Halo 5

Not sure how I lose credibility for being honest and telling it like it is.

Well at least you're honest.

• Upvote (+1) 3

H3 ghost handled great and Reach ghost is even better, certainly better than H4 and H5's ghost and it's wacky physics. 11,000 Reach ghost kills, I would know. Every Bungie-made Reach vehicle trumps every 343-made vehicle. Hell, I would take the H2 archaic wraith over the H5 wraith.

Kills attained means jackshit in regards to knowledge attained. Simply doesn't hold relevance to how vehicles handle. The majority of my kills in Halo 5 are with the Magnum. Must be OP. Plz nerf. /s However, if you want the epitome of good vehicle handling, give the Temple vehicles a whirl. They literally trump every Covenant vehicle made in relation to their movement and how they handle. But you wouldn't know that, of course, given your next to zero experience in Halo 5. :P

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The problem with Halo 5s Ghost is that its too easy. I dont mind the handling, but the guns are just too easy to get on target.

Kills attained means jackshit in regards to knowledge attained. Simply doesn't hold relevance to how vehicles handle. The majority of my kills in Halo 5 are with the Magnum. Must be OP. Plz nerf. /s However, if you want the epitome of good vehicle handling, give the Temple vehicles a whirl. They literally trump every Covenant vehicle made in relation to their movement and how they handle. But you wouldn't know that, of course, given your next to zero experience in Halo 5. :P

Covey vehicles are better in 343 games IMO, but not a single UNSC vehicle feels right in H4 or H5,

• Upvote (+1) 2

My claims and statements about 343 are based on facts. I have almost zero experience on Halo 5 because it doesn't meet my standard for a Halo game or even just for a video game. The game is a stressful, frustrating, and rage inducing experience. Do I really have to put myself through more torture of playing Halo 5 to continue to comment on how bad it is? Halo 3, although far from perfect, is an absolute dream in comparison. Hell, Reach BTB is a dream compared to Halo 5, which says more about H5 than Reach.

343 has done nothing well enough to keep my interest in any of their Halo games. Not sure how I lose credibility for being honest and telling it like it is.

Claims to know about 2 things because he's used 1 of them a lot...

Not sure how my post found a way to go over your head but it did. But you missed the part where you need to use the H5 ghost before you can say the H3 ghost handles better, because it totally fucking doesn't.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It was there, but it wasn't that apparent.

The remastered graphics really messed with the actual gameplay at some points. For example, when you first board the Truth and Reconciliation, it's actually easier to spot the camo elites with classic graphics due to the fact that their swords glow much brighter. With the remastered graphics you can hardly see them.

I really wish CE got a better visual makeover. Oh well :/

Levels in CEA looked amazing.

However the lack of new assets such as the recycled wraith and enemy models showed some laziness. For future Halo titles I'd love to see either the Reach or H2A campaign art style. 

Levels in CEA looked amazing.

However the lack of new assets such as the recycled wraith and enemy models showed some laziness. For future Halo titles I'd love to see either the Reach or H2A campaign art style. 

It still pisses me off that the Wraith model has a turret for an actual person to sit in but that wasn't possible in CE.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, cause after thousands of kills with a vehicle, I clearly lack knowledge of how to use it and how it's physics work. The majority of your kills in H5 are with the magnum because you are an illogical player. Logical players will switch out the pistol for the many more powerful weapons available to them. Every Reach vehicle > every 343-made vehicle. Reach vehicles handle sensibly, realistically, and logically...ghost included. I've tested out the H5 vehicles enough to know how garbage they are in comparison to Reach's.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah, cause after thousands of kills with a vehicle, I clearly lack knowledge of how to use it and how it's physics work. The majority of your kills in H5 are with the magnum because you are an illogical player. Logical players will switch out the pistol for the many more powerful weapons available to them.

She's an illogical player because she's actually decent at the game?

Every Reach vehicle > every 343-made vehicle. Reach vehicles handle sensibly, realistically, and logically...ghost included.

#Immersion

• Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah, cause after thousands of kills with a vehicle, I clearly lack knowledge of how to use it and how it's physics work. The majority of your kills in H5 are with the magnum because you are an illogical player. Logical players will switch out the pistol for the many more powerful weapons available to them. Every Reach vehicle > every 343-made vehicle. Reach vehicles handle sensibly, realistically, and logically...ghost included. I've tested out the H5 vehicles enough to know how garbage they are in comparison to Reach's.

Reach's Warthog wasn't happy unless it was upside down. And did you like that the DMR could push a Warthog, because I thought that was bullshit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Covey vehicles are better in 343 games IMO, but not a single UNSC vehicle feels right in H4 or H5,

Eh, in my opinion, Halo 5 had some really solid UNSC vehicles. Warthog, even the Mongoose. The Wasp also feels pretty good. Much better than say, the Hornet. 

Yes. Most of my kills are with the Magnum because I'm an illogical player. That's it. Not like that entirely glazed over the point I was trying to make in an attempt to get a jab in. An attempt, mind you.

And if you have next to zero experience with Halo 5, you wouldn't know how the Temple vehicles handle. You can't make a concrete statement when you obviously haven't used them. It's cool that you think past game's vehicles handle that way, but the Temple vehicles totally blow every Reach-era Covenant vehicle out of the water with handling. They're beyond fluid and smooth to handle, to a startling degree.

To go after an earlier point, do you know the insane amount of people who've used and gotten so many kills racked up with Halo 3's BR, yet they still don't realize it has spread, or is super random in general? Again, a bunch of kills isn't the determining factor in knowledge there.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Haha I actually really like them both. I liked Reach's vehicles quite a bit. The warthog flipped over too easy, the ghost was too fragile to DMR fire, and the banshee's flips should have been tied to the boost meter, but aside from that it was all quite good.

As for 5, yeah we don't have dev maps in BTB. I understand how that bothers people, but it doesn't bother me. I care about the gameplay so much more than anything else, and for the most part I have a ton of fun in H5 BTB. It's easily my favorite playlist, but that has more to do with Arena matching me against Snipedown and his 3 clones every game.

I understand why Brad likes H3 and Reach BTB, because I like them too. But it's unfair, and straight up inaccurate, to say that everything from those games is better than everything from H4 and 5. That's ideology and bias getting in the way of objective evaluation. I get it, you don't like Spartan Abilities or the weapon sandbox. Explain how that makes Halo 5's ghost's handling bad again? Oh that's right, it fucking doesn't. It's completely unrelated.

• Upvote (+1) 7