CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I have many fond memories of dropping Hot Carl's on kids in Bad Company 2.

You play BF1 yet? I'm hearing a lot of old BC2 players saying it's the best Battlefield game since BC2. I started with BF3 and can say that it really is the best one I've played so far.

Operations in BF1 are what Warzone should've been IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm still not sure if I should get BF1 or not. I wasn't really feeling it in the beta, but I didn't really like the map so that might've influenced things.

Alright well I guess Halo 5 is in the history books because the highlight of Josh Holmes' "what's next" speech for H5 was that more warzone firefight maps are on the way. Yippee.

Guess I'll start up the Halo 6 wishlist. Will mostly be populated by things that were also on the Halo 5 and Halo 4 wishlists.

- Minimalist, diverse sandbox.

- Open world campaign. (not a must-have but the Halo campaigns are in a real box right now and I think this is the best way to shake that up)

- Higher max ammo capacity for pistols, utility rifles, and small arms weapons. This opens up campaign by giving the player some freedom in how they approach the mission, instead of forcing them to play from ammo cache to ammo cache.

- Make forerunner weapons NPC only.

- Get new artists.

- Ditch the REQ system in favor of an actual marketplace where the player chooses what to purchase, not just hey wonder what's in this gold pack GOD DAMN IT 10 MORE NEEDLERS. (since microtransactions are a sad fact of life at this point)

- Big bosses in warzone are retired and replaced with hordes of jackal snipers, flood combat forms, etc. If one team kills all members of that horde the points payout is equal to what you get now for grinding out an excruciatingly boring kill against Warden Eternal or Flipyap The Fuckface.

- Kill spartan abilities with fire, and don't replace them with yet another stupid class of bullshit like UNSC abilities or whatever.

- No. More. Flagnum. NO. MORE. FLAGNUM. NO. MORE. FLAGNUM.

Got it. Will make sure to include all of it.

snip

This is why I come to team beyond. I literally feel like I'm living in some alternate reality when I make the mistake of looking though r/halo. Half the time I only check the controversial tab just looking for any legitimate criticism only to nope right out after reading the first few responses to totally valid arguments. It's sad these days man.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm still not sure if I should get BF1 or not. I wasn't really feeling it in the beta, but I didn't really like the map so that might've influenced things.

Worth it IMO. Operations on BF1 is amazing. Think of Rush on steroids x10.

I don't play Halo 5 anymore.  I have committed to the struggle on MCC.

Halo 5 is better than Halo 4 (ordnance, AAs, sprint) and Reach (AAs, bloom etc) in terms of gameplay out of the box.  But is no where near 1-3.  Halo 5 lacks SO MANY features that Reach and 4 both had (except in game ranks).  What a boring, generic game.

I want Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Since we're all talking about how we really feel, I'll say this;

It seems ironic to me when people complain about TB being "toxic" given 343's track record beginning with MCC. Even then, I'm being generous by ignoring H4.

So in 2014 they knowingly sold a $60 game that didn't work. There was literally one way for them to fuck up such an idea. Then the staff responsible for interacting with the community disappeared. Then MCC was ignored from about April 2015 until now. Most people outside of Halo could probably look at this 5-6 month period and decide to never bother with any product made with 343, and rightfully so.

Next we have H5. I've never been so baffled as I was with Breakout and everything that happened with it. First, it wasn't a gametype that couldn't have been remade with custom games options. Next, it was played on terrible and aesthetically weird forge maps. Could less work and thought have went into a so-called "premier" gametype? To prove the point, they overhauled the entire gametype by just putting it into default maps. I sincerely doubt that anything with significant thought regarding balance and purpose could be changed so much in such a simple way.

It's so bad that I suspect MS of pressuring 343 into including some elimination gametype in an effort to chase CS's success or CoD's S&D, and 343 complied with minimal effort.

And Warzone somehow was meant to replace BtB, and I think we all know why. The thought of WZ being a sufficient replacement should've been a major red flag at the time. What a disaster. There are still no dev-made BtB maps. But as far as I know they are still pumping out Warzone maps.

343 has still not responded to the pro polls or to any settings discussion. We are currently playing with fuel rods on Truth and SAWs on Empire.

I don't really have anything good to say about them. What's sad is that they've driven off so many Halo fans that the only ones left are perfectly fine with H5's gameplay and probably think it's the most popular Halo since H3.

I agree, its so sad to see how some people on somewhere agree everything that 343i has done like releasing playlists that should have been at launch, 9 months later or not fixing theater (btw still broken) and the list goes on.

Atleast DICE fixed BF4 and learned from it, unlike 343i with MCC.

I honestly dk what is wrong with 343i, is the upper management shitty, MS pressuring too much, general attitude of studio, too many contractors or combination of all ?

You play BF1 yet? I'm hearing a lot of old BC2 players saying it's the best Battlefield game since BC2. I started with BF3 and can say that it really is the best one I've played so far.

Operations in BF1 are what Warzone should've been IMO.

The game is like a gorgeous ice cream sundae with a few rat turds sprinkled on it. It's mostly good, but it has enough little things that bother the shit out of me that it prevents me from really enjoying myself.

The movement feels sluggish, the aiming feels fucked (especially sniping), BAYONET CHARGE, and the sound doesn't feel right. People come up right next to me doing shit that should absolutely be audible but they are completely silent. Spotting is fucked. The minimap is SO bad. And probably most importantly, my hit registration has been complete garbage. It takes me 5 bullets to start damaging people with SMG's when I'm absolutely NOT missing.

A lot of my problems can be attributed to poor awareness on maps Ive barely played, and good Ol' Hawaiian bullshit (SOOOO glad I'm leaving this island on Saturday!!) I'm not ready to write the game off yet but my experience so far has been really irritating.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The game is like a gorgeous ice cream sundae with a few rat turds sprinkled on it. It's mostly good, but it has enough little things that bother the shit out of me that it prevents me from really enjoying myself.

The movement feels sluggish, the aiming feels fucked (especially sniping), BAYONET CHARGE, and the sound doesn't feel right. People come up right next to me doing shit that should absolutely be audible but they are completely silent. Spotting is fucked. The minimap is SO bad. And probably most importantly, my hit registration has been complete garbage. It takes me 5 bullets to start damaging people with SMG's when I'm absolutely NOT missing.

A lot of my problems can be attributed to poor awareness on maps Ive barely played, and good Ol' Hawaiian bullshit (SOOOO glad I'm leaving this island on Saturday!!) I'm not ready to write the game off yet but my experience so far has been really irritating.

I'm just going to assume that Hawaiian internet Zach was a mistake and hopefully normal internet Zach is actually not a raging scrub monster.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 4

343 has still not responded to the pro polls or to any settings discussion. We are currently playing with fuel rods on Truth and SAWs on Empire.

I don't really have anything good to say about them. What's sad is that they've driven off so many Halo fans that the only ones left are perfectly fine with H5's gameplay and probably think it's the most popular Halo since H3.

I know this is a small sample size but 3 of my friends along with myself have not played a single game of halo 5 and I've played maybe a weeks worth of MCC when the ranks launched but that's it. 343 killed all of my passion for Halo and I don't even associate with it outside of these forums. Can't remember the last time I've tuned into a stream or kept up with pro league because I think the gameplay is just terrible.

I've said this before but the one good thing 343 did was during the beta for halo 5 they openly stated if you didn't like the gameplay or direction don't expect the classic style from before and to move on and that's exactly what I've done. No point of having false hope when they have already decided on the direction to take the game.

lol at playing halo in 2016 this shit sucks. Outside of lans I will never touch it again.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You know what would really startle me in time for Halloween? An updated Team Arena playlist that made the game actually fun to play. Now that's a scary thought.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You know what would really startle me in time for Halloween? An updated Team Arena playlist that made the game actually fun to play. Now that's a scary thought.

How about an announcement that Brian Reed is lead writer for H6?
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Worth it IMO. Operations on BF1 is amazing. Think of Rush on steroids x10.

Sounds interesting. Hard Way's review makes me cautious, but I might check it out anyway.

I honestly dk what is wrong with 343i, is the upper management shitty, MS pressuring too much, general attitude of studio, too many contractors or combination of all ?

Glass Door has a bunch of reviews which I think said it's rough being a contractor and the management had some issues. You have to be a member to read most of them or they get blocked out though.

"In celebration of HALO-Ween (lololololololololol), we've added some maps to our shitty Infection playlist!"

Praise the sun! Thanks, Barvo!

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Judgement was the Reach of GoW and the follow-up from a new studio is the most intentionally "Gears of War" game since the first one. Gameplay is faithful, art style is faithful, sound design is faithful (and actually good). It's unmistakably a Gears title.  Apparently, 343's idea of going back to the series' roots is calling the H5 Magnum a "true utility weapon" with a straight face.

not to be nit-picky but i find gow 3 to be more like reach and judgment like h4, either way they were both pretty shit and it's great to see gears 4.

i feel we're currently like star wars fans, we're just going through the prequel phase, we might never get classic halo again, but if we get something like the new trilogy, a company with their head screwed on properly, then maybe, we'll get to enjoy halo like people are enjoying gears 4. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Played H5 for a couple hours today after taking a couple month long break. Here are my impressions with some somewhat fresh eyes.

1- The pistol is just too weak. I firmly believe that Halo or any arena type shooter that opts to enforce a two weapon limit works best with a strong utility weapon and a circular weapon sandbox that works around said weapon. H5 has pretty much the complete opposite of this. The pistol is one of the weakest weapons in the entire game and this creates cascading issues.

2- The automatic weapons are way too powerful for how easy to use they are. This ties in with point #1 and it's also pretty self explanatory. The game just loses a ton of it's fun factor with all the spraying going on.

3. The pacing is too fast and incredibly awkward. Much like the newer COD games H5 suffers immensely from ADD gameplay. It's just too much. It's fast but in all the wrong ways. Quake is fast, and good. HCE is fast, and good. H5 is fast, and awkward.

• Upvote (+1) 7

not to be nit-picky but i find gow 3 to be more like reach and judgment like h4, either way they were both pretty shit and it's great to see gears 4.

i feel we're currently like star wars fans, we're just going through the prequel phase, we might never get classic halo again, but if we get something like the new trilogy, a company with their head screwed on properly, then maybe, we'll get to enjoy halo like people are enjoying gears 4.

Don't worry Our JJ Abrams will come eventually

Don't worry Our JJ Abrams will come eventually

Yeah, just got to wait ten years or so before we get classic Halo. Ez pz.