CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Kinda want get some food for thought going.

What if we revamped Halo's scoring system (in the context of basic slayer modes) to account for any style points? Actually reward players for the medals they earn, and allow better players to separate themselves from those take the easy way out (Autos, shallow power weapons).

This mostly a possible solution to our current weapon balance woes. I would rather have improvements to the sandbox, but this system could help ease the pain. Thoughts?

It'd make for a good alternate gametype. Honestly it would make a pretty great Action Sack gametype depending on how they did the scoring.

@@Moa we gave him a free pass because 343 said it would be classic 4v4 Halo and it almost looked like they were listening....

Welp. Here we are one year to the day. And the fundamental issues this forum has been bitching about haven't been even spoken on since.

Is radar gone yet? Is the pistol good compared to every other gun? Are the autos nerfed? Have the servers gotten better? Are rank distributions working properly?

No.

And it's sad too 'cause this game has all of this untapped potential that has been squandered away for an *entire year*. I could easily see this as being the second best competitive Halo had some of these problems been fixed.

It'd make for a good alternate gametype. Honestly it would make a pretty great Action Sack gametype depending on how they did the scoring.

Believe something like this was actually in Action Sack in H4; every 30 seconds you'd have to get a certain medal to score points and it would switch for something else after that time period was up.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Believe something like this was actually in Action Sack in H4; every 30 seconds you'd have to get a certain medal to score points and it would switch for something else after that time period was up.

Medal Madness i believe?

• Upvote (+1) 1

- Better than Halo 4, still don't think it's better than Reach though

I agree with most of what you said but what makes you think this? In terms of gameplay, I think H5 drowns Reach. Bugs and QOL might drag it down but I don't think its that worse all things considered.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree with most of what you said but what makes you think this? In terms of gameplay, I think H5 drowns Reach. Bugs and QOL might drag it down but I don't think its that worse all things considered.

Bloom alone makes Reach worse.

Armor lock? Jet packs? Sprint double melees?

Ya...Halo 5 is way better than that lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Crazy to think it's been a year, some random thoughts overall

- I haven't had the urge to get on and play without friends in probably 10 months now

- Good sci-fi game, not so good Halo game if I had to put my finger on it

- Better than Halo 4, still don't think it's better than Reach though

- Updates while cool, seem to make up lack of what should have been Day 1 overall

- Need to replay campaign, but wtf was that story, mission gameplay were good though

- Kinda weird how we are still without dbl xp weekends (unless I missed it)

- HCS is cool, but could be better

- This game really missed the boat on casual play besides warzone

- Still don't have the neon skin, annoys me

- Glitches,spectator mode, lack of pr makes me sad

- Graphics are great, audio is mostly good

You mean those bonus XP weekends they did for like a month and then never bothered again, as well as never going through with the double RP weekends that @@Deez mentioned before launch?

:stern:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was talking overall product

-Better Campaign

-Better Competitive Settings

-Better Maps (this is close, both have pretty terrible mediocre maps)

-Better Firefight

-Better Incentive To Play (Jackpots)

Yes, Reach has bloom and terrible AA, but Halo 5 has Ground Pound and a slew of game issues like ghost melees and server issues. They cancel each other out there IMO.

Those are some of my picks, note this ISN'T A HUGE lead over Halo 5 btw and I could see how it could go both ways for some.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I can't believe people still think Halo 5 is better than Reach. Halo 5 doesn't even have working FFA. It doesn't have working Slayer in general.

No, how about... nothing in Halo 5 works properly.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I can't believe people still think Halo 5 is better than Reach. Halo 5 doesn't even have working FFA. It doesn't having working Slayer in general.

No, how about... nothing in Halo 5 works properly.

What do you mean "working"?

No Halo game has ever had a competitively optimized FFA playlist.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Every other Halo could actually viably support 8 man FFA (8 players being the standard amount of players per map). Halo 5 only allows 6 players due to the highly inconsistent spawn system. This in turn completely breaks the dynamic of FFA due to the fact that 6 player FFAs lead to more campy gameplay. Also to mention that the weapon layouts on all of these maps suit 4v4 gameplay significantly more than FFA.

Competitively optimized or not, the other Halos were at least tolerable.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Man, I'm so jealous of Gears fans. They were in the same situation as us, with the series they like being in the hands of a fresh developer. But unlike 343, The Coalition released a solid, faithful game right from the start, and with much better eSports/league support than NuHalo.

I recall an interview from them in which they said that they'd rather play it safe and make sure they can get the core of Gears' gameplay down before they start changing things up too much. That's a much better mindset to have than changing everything to make it "their" Gears. 

It just shows that these kinds of things can be done well, which is a shame to think about when you look at what we got :/

GOW4 still gets a lot of flak though, I honestly think the biggest failure of GOW4 was to not bring back Overrun. That gamemode was awesome.

I was talking overall product

-Better Campaign

-Better Competitive Settings

-Better Maps (this is close, both have pretty terrible mediocre maps)

-Better Firefight

-Better Incentive To Play (Jackpots)

Yes, Reach has bloom and terrible AA, but Halo 5 has Ground Pound and a slew of game issues like ghost melees and server issues. They cancel each other out there IMO.

Those are some of my picks, note this ISN'T A HUGE lead over Halo 5 btw and I could see how it could go both ways for some.

At least Halo 5 maps aren't all grey

Firefight has always been garbo, besides that it is pretty cool to play with a team of 12.

Reach definitely had a better progression system, they need to make certain (badass) cosmetics (like the robot arm or inclement weather) achievement based in H6 and beyond, a lot cooler than the "ooh piece of candy" system that Halo 5 has.

And the whole REQ cards of course. Now, I do support cosmetic microtransactions to help support the game. What I don't support is when microtransactions are now the primary DLC for the game. For people who have never cared about Spartan dress-up, Halo 5's monthly DLC is dull to say the least. Add the remixes of maps that no one asked to be remixed isn't appreciated either.

Then we got the "sustain plan" with Forge and popular gametypes not being in the game until months after launch. Whether you think the game wasn't finished or that they intentionally held it back so players who left the game like Halo 4 would hopefully returned, both are equally as bad. And them patting themselves on the back because they were so gracious to make it "free" DLC sure was a hoot.

Unlike Halo 4, there is so much more shadiness, intentional misinterpretation, and straight up lying surrounding the game for me to enjoy it. But all of that isn't even the main reason. It's the game itself, the core gameplay. The ADS, aim acceleration, and powerful autos. Things that 343 are basically acting like they're not problems anymore. Now I'm sure in Halo 6, they're going to do the classic '2 steps back, 1 step forward' method  "We're going to add ADS buffs in Halo 5 then we're going to slightly reduce it in Halo 6 and then we're going to do a mini "we're listening" campaign alongside of it."

And let's not forget how we found out that Halo 5 didn't have split-screen. 343 didn't mention it all and just like Forge being pushed back and no Theater mode, they refused to answer questions about it and waited as long as possible to release information that they already knew. If Microsoft didn't accidentally give too much info on the Halo 5 page on Xbox.com, who knows when 343 would have decided to tell us and add something like "we just found out, lol sorry" on top of it.

I just want to sit back and enjoy Halo but instead I keep hearing this developer refusing to be straight up with their fanbase about their own game because they're not confident enough about their product. It really is sad. I'm glad that Halo 5 is now, after just a year, is no longer even on the damn Xbox Live charts. And let's not forget the Halo 3 beta and Halo 5 beta comparisons on how much time was spent per player playing the beta because 343 accidentally release too many numbers in that visual stat page. They won't make that mistake again. I'm sure Bravo is coming up with other buzz words on twitter to distract people from numbers and data but it helps me sleep at night knowing that they're well aware of the embarrassing population numbers for Halo 5.

Halo has always had lame dlc, I can't think of anything lamer than the whole map pack model. Now 343i could've easily done a far better job of implementing microtransactions, making certain items solely achievement based, and maybe making certain REQ's entirely level based, but by making them gametype specific, it alleviates many of the issues that microtransactions usually cause.

As for the whole Splitscreen debacle it is likely that MS pushed 343i into making Halo 5 look as "cutting edge" as possible, hence why they had to remove Splitscreen, then MS figured their would be a huge backlash over it and told 343i to keep it under wraps. That issue had far more to do with the limitations of the hardware than it did the devs. 

• Downvote (-1) 3

What do you mean "working"?

I was purposely being facetious, though I do mean that to a fair degree.

I mean; obviously it works like Slayer but as a base mode that every other mode in the game is built off of, there's things that just don't work, (as in work like real Slayer and its variants, like proper variants.) There's actual problems under the hood much like Infinity Slayer, but even more deeply rooted in.

Spartan Abilities, ammo counts and weapon timers, etc. I won't even touch on those things.

The spawn system is just broken. Either that or they don't know how it used to work. The respawn system is supposed to prioritize things. Each area of the map had minimal, spaced out, carefully placed respawns that meshed with the layout of the map and created consistent lanes, and not only that but each spawn had percentages of being chosen based on spheres of influence: i.e. spawning you near a living teammate, spawning you at random, blocking your spawn.

Halo 5's team modes still have random spawns and spawn blocking which leads me to believe that maybe the engine is trying to emulate proper Halo spawning and something else is getting in the way, but the problem lingers to every mode in the game and makes the game constantly throw you in danger out of spawn. There's also another spawn problem in team modes that's quickly apparent; there isn't any way to push the enemy team back to spawn.

They spawn all the way on your side of the map (almost immediately upon being pushed to spawn) if you do. That's never how it worked. That's not proper map control if you can't contain the enemy respawns. Just having power weapons doesn't make you immune to being blindsided.

Now, I'm also convinced no Halo game has ever had this many neutral respawns in each map. You open any launch Halo 5 map in Forge and they're just vomited everywhere. Maybe that's the ONLY problem and the problem is just as easily fixed by removing most of them, but for the time being it's something that doesn't translate into good spawning and plagues the entirety of the game's 4v4 modes. So something I, and everyone else who plays Halo 5 have to deal with playing 4v4 unless we Forge it out in customs.

Spawn variations from mode to mode (unless they've updated it to be better) are also nonexistent and they're just chosen by the spawn types in Forge without using half of its tools to differentiate them or create spheres of influence. I may need to check again but last time I did, there were no spawn volumes in launch maps. For FFA, the map is littered with neutral respawns and weapon spawns carried over from Team Slayer with no real alterations and this creates the worst FFA gameplay I've ever experienced. It's not even finished. Assault, CTF, Fiesta, same thing; all affected negatively by it. So again no spawntrapping, no map control.

In fact I remember reading the rules of submitting maps to 343 back on Waypoint and they said somewhere around 65+ neutral respawns per map was the requirement. Just proper broken 4v4 spawns all around.

You don't even get a special emblem for playing the game for a year? All I got as 5 legendary Arena XP boosts. That was lame.

Every other Halo could actually viably support 8 man FFA (8 players being the standard amount of players per map). Halo 5 only allows 6 players due to the highly inconsistent spawn system. This in turn completely breaks the dynamic of FFA due to the fact that 6 player FFAs lead to more campy gameplay. Also to mention that the weapon layouts on all of these maps suit 4v4 gameplay significantly more than FFA.

Competitively optimized or not, the other Halos were at least tolerable.

H3 LW was a six-player game mode and I don't think the dynamics were broken there

Another annoying problem still here a year later is Retrieving Data. I don't think it will ever be fixed.

You don't even get a special emblem for playing the game for a year? All I got as 5 legendary Arena XP boosts. That was lame.

Yeah, I thought we would get an emblem. If you didn't have everything unlocked you would've got REQ items, but instead you get the boosts. I think Warzone boosts would've been better.

In Reach you could aim properly. That alone makes the gameplay better for me.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I remember there being an article where 343 pitched Halo 4 to Microsoft and they said it felt "too Halo" and not modern enough, so 343 went a new direction. Too lazy to find it. Doesn't excuse their mistakes but it was an interesting read.

I got you, fam. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191234/making_halo_4_a_story_about_.php?page=3

The quote you looking for is below the picture of the Promethean Knight.

H3 LW was a six-player game mode and I don't think the dynamics were broken there

Ehh... H3 LW started off as 6, went to 8, and then went back down to 6. It played better as 8 honestly, the maps were just crappy (maps like Epitaph and Snowbound with the shield doors were still in effect at the time). It became too slow at 6 players. H3 Heretic BRs (MLG FFA) supported 8 players wonderfully (so did other maps like Pit, Construct, etc.). Halo 5 doesn't work for 6 or 8 period imo. I don't know of a single map in Halo 5 that plays great for FFA to be honest.

h5 has like no social gameplay, the gameplay it does have is trash, unless you want to play warzone, which is just an attempt to re-introduce infinity BTB with additions. i'd rather have the reach nonsense than shit playlists, a game with more focus on autos, bland maps, shit aiming system, poor user interface, not being able to find games at peak times because you live in a foreign country (in reach i could find games at 3am in snipers every time), and a game with over the top movement and pacing. a game where you can chain thruster, infinite sprint, ground pound, clamber, slide and stabilizers is far worse (for me) than jetpack or a 2 second invincibility for scrubs.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lul

To be fair, 343 stole the concept from the M3 Carl Gustav Recoilless Rifle.

1.pngb55dd482-99da-4842-aba6-d47d1edef4a

To be fair, 343 stole the concept from the M3 Carl Gustav Recoilless Rifle.

1.pngb55dd482-99da-4842-aba6-d47d1edef4a

I have many fond memories of dropping Hot Carl's on kids in Bad Company 2.

• Upvote (+1) 3