CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Ugh, fuck what I said about r/Halo. Getting in a massive argument with a guy about sprint, because he seems to think that the second he brings up "just remove spartan charge" all of sprints issues will be raised.

Fuck those people

• Upvote (+1) 1

The philosophy of making each game unique has made Halo a mammoth of an exclusive franchise. Personally, I welcome the changes of each game. I've never been of the mindset of wanting Halo 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, etc. I can't wrap my mind around why people support a franchise like CoD that largely puts out the same game with the same play on the same engine yearly.

That doesn't change any of the negatives that have occurred due to this mindset. Halo has one of the most divided bases I've ever seen. I mean you could just take a look at how "great" Halo is doing in relation to the game you just mentioned.
  • Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That doesn't change any of the negatives that have occurred due to this mindset. Halo has one of the most divided bases I've ever seen. I mean you could just take a look at how "great" Halo is doing in relation to the game you just mentioned.

That doesn't help support your claim, though. You can't pinpoint factual reason of retention. CoD is massively casual, so that could be a reason. It launched with more content, so that could be a reason. It didn't release after a hugely failed release the year before, that could be a reason. You can't nail anything down to the mindset of having each title being different than the last. Conversely, it can be argued that said mindset was successful if you look at CE-3. 

Nevertheless, I personally feel that the franchise is doing fine, and I'm looking forward to the next update. Hoping the next title comes with vastly superior modes of play, variety, and content to keep trending upwards though.

• Downvote (-1) 10

That doesn't help support your claim, though. You can't pinpoint factual reason of retention. CoD is massively casual, so that could be a reason. It launched with more content, so that could be a reason. It didn't release after a hugely failed release the year before, that could be a reason. You can't nail anything down to the mindset of having each title being different than the last. Conversely, it can be argued that said mindset was successful if you look at CE-3.

Nevertheless, I personally feel that the franchise is doing fine, and I'm looking forward to the next update. Hoping the next title comes with vastly superior modes of play, variety, and content to keep trending upwards though.

Feeling like the franchise is doing fine doesn't mean anything. Again, making drastic changes to a game after every title has splintered the fanbase into many pieces. BR fans, DMR fans, magnum fans, AR start fans, smg start fans, sprint fans, the list goes on and on. That's why making so many changes is a problem.
  • Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Feeling like the franchise is doing fine doesn't mean anything. Again, making drastic changes to a game after every title has splintered the fanbase into many pieces. BR fans, DMR fans, magnum fans, AR start fans, smg start fans, sprint fans, the list goes on and on. That's why making so many changes is a problem.

He won't understand, console players don't understand that the most popular FPS is CSGO that hasn't changed in 10+ years, and isnot casual at all.

Inb4 "CSGO is very cheap that is the reason is popular"

Hell the most popular games right now wont have a sequel, they will be updated . And now we have Halo6 coming i just hope they don't try to reinvent Halo again.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I watched an hour of Hard Way's stream, looked precisely like a slightly faster H2-H3 to me, "absolutely nothing like any of the older Halos" might be a stretch

Does Halo 2 and Halo 3 have a 4sk magnum as their utility weapon that empowers skilled individual players to be able to get kills on their own accord? Does Halo 2 and Halo 3 have a base player movement speed that is as fast as sprint? Does Halo 2 and Halo 3 have a very responsive strafe that allows for some crazy reversals? Does Halo 2 and Halo 3 have awesome forge remakes of Downrush and Decidia made by @@GreatCesari that have power-ups on 1 min static timers?

If the Evolved settings resemble any of the previous Halo games than it most likely resembles a lot of Halo 1's principles and I don't see anything wrong with that. If you think that the Evolved settings plays like carbon copies of Halo 2 and Halo 3 than I highly recommend for you to watch the youtube video that @@QuietMan uploaded of @@Mythik Nick using the Evolved settings to play 2v2 on the forge remake of Downrush.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Except no Halo has ever shared many similarities to the former installment.

It's true every game has had differences. But the first 3 had fundamentals that remained throughout.

They may have each had utility weapons that functioned completely different for instance,but the concept of the utility weapon was present in all of them.

and that's just 1 example.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's true every game has had differences. But the first 3 had fundamentals that remained throughout.

They may have each had utility weapons that functioned completely different for instance,but the concept of the utility weapon was present in all of them.

and that's just 1 example.

That's a good point, but I'll also assert that the only Halo game that has strayed from that concept was 4 (with loadouts). This point is important, and it goes back to what I hold true to Halo, and that is longer kill times due to multiple shots on target, ability to outplay someone in those encounters, and the variable of team play and positioning also being present in encounters. All of that can be accomplished in different ways, but those underlying concepts have to be present.

• Downvote (-1) 4

That's a good point, but I'll also assert that the only Halo game that has strayed from that concept was 4 (with loadouts). This point is important, and it goes back to what I hold true to Halo, and that is longer kill times due to multiple shots on target, ability to outplay someone in those encounters, and the variable of team play and positioning also being present in encounters. All of that can be accomplished in different ways, but those underlying concepts have to be present.

I think 5 has strayed from this point as well. The pistol is a competent weapon, but completely outclassed by the BR etc.

The concept of the utility weapon is never to have an objectively inferior weapon. So if the BR is 4sk, and more forgiving with the burst fire I find the pistol to not necessarily fill that role very well.

Though to be fair, that's not necessarily the games fault, you could make it BR starts if you want to ( not even saying that's a good idea), but it is how things are currently.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The philosophy of making each game unique has made Halo a mammoth of an exclusive franchise. Personally, I welcome the changes of each game. I've never been of the mindset of wanting Halo 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, etc. I can't wrap my mind around why people support a franchise like CoD that largely puts out the same game with the same play on the same engine yearly.

Edit: Variety is the spice of life.

Gonna let you in on a little secret

Each game was more successful than the last up to Halo 5 because of factors completely unrelated to the core gameplay changes they made.

Halo 1 sold millions of copies based on its core gameplay alone. That is a fact.

It led to the hyping up of Halo 2. Halo 2 was even bigger because it had online play which led to everyone and their grandma getting an Xbox and a copy to play for themselves.

Halo 3 was even more hyped because it was on a new console with great graphics, had FORGE, Theater, and a huge suite of custom options. Most importantly, it was the final installment in the Halo trilogy which led to more people buying it day 1 than ever before. You had millions of fans who were already into Halo but didn't buy previous copies new, they had been buying them used or borrowing them. Then Halo 3 hits and you have this massive market ready for it. It's like when a show gets popular on Netflix or through illegal downloading and then the next time it airs live you have all these people who can't wait for netflix/download to watch it.

Halo Reach sold well off of the name alone but not as well as it could have because it was plagued with gameplay issues and no Master Chief.

Halo 4 was huge because people wanted to see what happened with Master Chief after Halo 3 because that was a cliffhanger on its own, and also because there were like 60 million Xbox 360s sold at that point.

Halo 5 is a flop because there was barely a marketing campaign for it, no split screen, barely any Master Chief, and because Halo 4, especially the multiplayer, was so bad that people quit the series. Then you had MCC which made things even worse.

I'd say Halo 5 is the first one which was affected in sales not by its own gameplay but by the previous game's core gameplay being so terrible that people stopped caring.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I think 5 has strayed from this point as well. The pistol is a competent weapon, but completely outclassed by the BR etc.

The concept of the utility weapon is never to have an objectively inferior weapon. So if the BR is 4sk, and more forgiving with the burst fire I find the pistol to not necessarily fill that role very well.

Though to be fair, that's not necessarily the games fault, you could make it BR starts if you want to ( not even saying that's a good idea), but it is how things are currently.

The whole pistol, carbine, battle rifle, lightrifle, DMR, H2 BR, Recon DMR, CE pistol etc dynamic is stupid. The CE pistol easily qualifies as a power weapon in this game but really why does all of that exist. They're so redundant and basically a huge waste of space. I wish they would have just picked one or created their own and then set about only making a new weapon when they fill an actual niche that actually benefits the game. I think they just sit around in the office creating weapons aimlessly because they can. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

COD is huge because it largely remains unchanged game to game. People know what to expect. The same running around, ADS OHK fest that is very well polished. They might change some of the setting and mobility but its still essentially the same shit. It's like the Madden franchise. People keep buying the new ones to keep up with their friends who are all playing the new one.

The whole pistol, carbine, battle rifle, lightrifle, DMR, H2 BR, Recon DMR, CE pistol etc dynamic is stupid. The CE pistol easily qualifies as a power weapon in this game but really why does all of that exist. They're so redundant and basically a huge waste of space. I wish they would have just picked one or created their own and then set about only making a new weapon when they fill an actual niche that actually benefits the game. I think they just sit around in the office creating weapons aimlessly because they can.

Yea there's a lot of redundancy. I'm not as hard core about completely removing weapons. But I am for trimming the fat and making weapons more distinct and fill a more defined role

I just never understood the idea of alienating your core fanbase by adding mechanics that appeal to another (more vast) fanbase. Like, what little integrity must you have? I'd feel downright shameful as a company. You're stripping Halo of its unique qualities in order to conform to the industry. Halo used to set trends. Now it follows them.

I could understand if the niche audience it appealed to was too small and bad for business, but it wasn't. Halo was massive. I'm a firm believer that Halo would still be at the top if it stuck to its guns and maintained its identity. You can't really chalk up Halo's decline as franchise fatigue when it hasn't even held a consistent image.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Also, @@IKnightmAAre you don't have to downvote me when we are having a discussion. Obviously you don't agree, but negging all the posts from the person you are responding to is a great way to stifle actual conversation. It just looks salty.

Its kicked me out of a game, then wouldn't let me search for another. I quit the game and tried again, now I'm on the start menu and it won't let me press start.

Any help?

I just never understood the idea of alienating your core fanbase by adding mechanics that appeal to another (more vast) fanbase. Like, what little integrity must you have? I'd feel downright shameful as a company. You're stripping Halo of its unique qualities in order to conform to the industry. Halo used to set trends. Now it follows them.

I could understand if the niche audience it appealed to was too small and bad for business, but it wasn't. Halo was massive. I'm a firm believer that Halo would still be at the top if it stuck to its guns and maintained its identity. You can't really chalk up Halo's decline as franchise fatigue when it hasn't even held a consistent image.

You don't make money off your current fanbase...you make money by bringing new players in. They already have, and will continue to have, your money. They want to pull players away from other franchises by giving them something they are semi-familiar with. That's business. We as a community may feel like Halo 5 was a flop, but the business side saw the most money of any previous Halo game. That is a success to them and the only success that will matter to Microsoft.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Its kicked me out of a game, then wouldn't let me search for another. I quit the game and tried again, now I'm on the start menu and it won't let me press start.

Any help?

QTB?

Edit: When you said quit the game I'm guessing that meant qtb. Maybe restart your xbox. If that doesn't work usually uninstalling the game works.

How's the doubles playlist? Is it okay while running with a friend?

Lots of grenades, bad maps, and lots of shotgun spam. But still better than Team Arena if you don't have a full party.

How's the doubles playlist? Is it okay while running with a friend?

It's not bad at all. The ammo of power weapons could probably use to be reduced some more, but it has been enjoyable in my experience.

Also, @@IKnightmAAre you don't have to downvote me when we are having a discussion. Obviously you don't agree, but negging all the posts from the person you are responding to is a great way to stifle actual conversation. It just looks salty.

Just returning the favor, homie.

You don't make money off your current fanbase...you make money by bringing new players in. They already have, and will continue to have, your money. They want to pull players away from other franchises by giving them something they are semi-familiar with. That's business. We as a community may feel like Halo 5 was a flop, but the business side saw the most money of any previous Halo game. That is a success to them and the only success that will matter to Microsoft.

Uhhh source? I have a hard time believing req sales made up for 7 million fewer customers than your most popular title.

You're prescribing to one theory of business alone. There are many blue chip companies that make oodles of profit by just catering to the existing market that they have and making marginal improvements on it. Coke, for example, improves their sales by acquring or developing different kinds of soft drinks, or appealing to customers by making their 12 packs fit fridges more conveniently. They brought in New Coke which flopped spectacularly. Just like Halo 5. Acting like you will always have your current fanbase by the balls is stupid and I have no idea why you think it's working given Halo 5's sales.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's not bad at all. The ammo of power weapons could probably use to be reduced some more, but it has been enjoyable in my experience.

Just returning the favor, homie.

What? I didn't neg you at all lmao