CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You are right I don't understand this game. I am a silver 1 that just can't understands this game.

Fuck off dude you aren't some H5 wizard. You have no fucking clue what I know or don't know about the game.

It has nothing to do with rank. If you think using your thruster to move around the map quicker isn't a risk that can get you killed, then you don't have a good understanding of how this game plays at a high level, and if you think that I was advocating for adding more movement options then you didn't comprehend what I posted.

• Upvote (+1) 4

H5 thread is lit

No, this is just the normal garbage that goes on in this thread on the daily.

Back to what I was saying about Doubles, the playlist is very fun for myself and the friends I've played with. The satisfaction you feel from working with one other player to coordinate pushes is like no other. I'm going to suggest that the weapons on the dev maps need to be changed somewhat, specifically Eden. I wouldn't care having all rifles but Carbines removed, but that won't happen.

It has nothing to do with rank. If you think using your thruster to move around the map quicker isn't a risk that can get you killed, then you don't have a good understanding of how this game plays at a high level, and if you think that I was advocating for adding more movement options then you didn't comprehend what I posted.

Getting caught in a fight while your thruster recharges is a death sentence. You have so many options in combat when you have access to your thrust. You basically have to hope that the enemy chokes when you don't have it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean how often does someone challenge WHILE thrust bumping? You get your thrust back in like 3 seconds so it's not that big of a deal.

While Thrust bumping? A good amount for ones like Fathoms where unless you get a perfect Thrust bump (Which I dont even see players like Naded do). Players get shot out of stabilize is the issue a good amount of the time.

The other one I can think of is Rig Basement to Mid cat. Which if you mess up (or get shot) you literally die from no floor to safety net you. The thing is, is Mid cat/Mid corner/White hall are all areas that are nade infested and have LoS in T2, Snipe, Bunker, E2, Batman Ledge, back of head glitch, etc. If you use it wrong, you'll be punished heavily because those 3 seconds (actually its 4 or 3.5 i forget) are a huge deal. By the time you get Thrust back in this jump the length you would have moved is Junction/snipe spawn which is a really long time with losing that many amount of options. 

Seems like a lot of people have a very strong opinion about thrust bumping but at the same times it sounds like those opinions were made completely off of reading about it rather than experiencing how it works in game at high levels.

I was thinking about posting about the thrust bump but everyone seems to have their mind made up already.

While Thrust bumping? A good amount for ones like Fathoms where unless you get a perfect Thrust bump (Which I dont even see players like Naded do). Players get shot out of stabilize is the issue a good amount of the time.

The other one I can think of is Rig Basement to Mid cat. Which if you mess up (or get shot) you literally die from no floor to safety net you. The thing is, is Mid cat/Mid corner/White hall are all areas that are nade infested and have LoS in T2, Snipe, Bunker, E2, Batman Ledge, back of head glitch, etc. If you use it wrong, you'll be punished heavily because those 3 seconds (actually its 4 or 3.5 i forget) are a huge deal. By the time you get Thrust back in this jump the length you would have moved is Junction/snipe spawn which is a really long time with losing that many amount of options.

And how often are those even used to begin with? If you thrust bump to top mid on Fathom whil someone is looking at you then that's your own problem.

I don't even understand why we defend this when all it does is add even more unpredictable movement to an already unpredictable game. And don't tell me it's not "unptedictable" when I've seen practically all of you argue against radar because of it.

Getting caught in a fight while your thruster recharges is a death sentence. You have so many options in combat when you have access to your thrust. You basically have to hope that the enemy chokes when you don't have it.

Sounds like pretty bad game design if the player cannot win a battle if he does not have access to a button press ability.

I'm pretty on the fence when it comes to thrust but when you say things like what you just said it makes the mechanic sound terrible.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Your reading comprehension is almost as bad as your understanding of this game.

So my reply to this gets deleted but this shit post stays? Awesome work mods.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

What is "thrust bumping"? 

I'm sure I'll hate it because i hate thrust in general though. 

And how often are those even used to begin with? If you thrust bump to top mid on Fathom whil someone is looking at you then that's your own problem.

I don't even understand why we defend this when all it does is add even more unpredictable movement to an already unpredictable game. And don't tell me it's not "unptedictable" when I've seen practically all of you argue against radar because of it.

They're used a good amount. The Rig one is pretty hard but the reward for it is pretty good for quicker collapses and whatnot. You just have to do it when you know players arent looking at you or will be looking at you

Uhh im not sure what you mean by radar. Do you mean i want radar because the games too unpredictable? If so, I'm the one who said it should be removed because the games predictable already and doesn't need it. Its only there (as shown in that one vidoc for h5) to be accessible for casuals. 

What is "thrust bumping"?

I'm sure I'll hate it because i hate thrust in general though.

You thrust and bump off and up things and fling into the air.

Sounds like pretty bad game design if the player cannot win a battle if he does not have access to a button press ability.

I'm pretty on the fence when it comes to thrust but when you say things like what you just said it makes the mechanic sound terrible.

You can't win a battle without access to strafing which is a directional stick input. Pretty flawed rebuttal, Coop.

The point is thrust builds on one's ability to make players miss. A player with a strong strafe combined with good thrust usage will have an advantage in battle. Thrusting doesn't give you an automatic kill, but having it available doesn't put you at disadvantage.

You can't win a battle without access to strafing which is a directional stick input. Pretty flawed rebuttal, Coop.

The point is thrust builds on one's ability to make players miss. A player with a strong strafe combined with good thrust usage will have an advantage in battle. Thrusting doesn't give you an automatic kill, but having it available doesn't put you at disadvantage.

You always have access to strafing...

And strafing requires multiple inputs not just one.

As Cooper said, if not having a 1 button ability puts you at a huge disadvantage, then that sounds like some really questionable competitive design.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a simple wall jump would have been so much better than thrust. Always being able to shoot and used almost exclusively offensively.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

As it has been said multiple times before, matter of input does not equate to difficulty which does not equate to skillfullness. It could be said that knowing the cadence of fights and always having thruster up is a skill.

Arguing against a mechanic with the only basis being input of

Ah, screw it. I'm not wasting time talking about Halo 5 mechanics in this thread.

I don't even know what the argument is here. 

Doesn't that usually mean you're about to chime in on it? 

agtmbomg.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

As it has been said multiple times before, matter of input does not equate to difficulty which does not equate to skillfullness. It could be said that knowing the cadence of fights and always having thruster up is a skill.

Arguing against a mechanic with the only basis being input of

Ah, screw it. I'm not wasting time talking about Halo 5 mechanics in this thread.

Not sure why you keep doing it when your arguments are so piss poor that they weaken the case for everyone in favor of that mechanic.

I like thrust lol.

Your wording was just so shit though that you somehow managed to make me argue against you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is high risk/reward and despite what people in this thread claim about it being a "simple" or "one button" input, is one of the most difficult abilities to pull off consistently in the game. I used to trick jump on guardian all the time and could probably do all if not most of the jumps. It took way longer to start to get the hang of these thrust jumps than it did H3's guardian trick jumps. Despite it taking longer, I am much further from being consistent at them. While I am inconsistent, I can join a few friends and watch them get the jumps easily 9/10 times.

I think both sides just simply won't agree here. I'm happy that people are playing classic settings and are enjoying them. They look fun to me and I hope to play them once I get back from the Beach LAN. However, as predictable as the movement now becomes it does seem a bit watered down to me but Halos maps and sandbox usually have made up for it's lack of movement options in the past. Yeah, I like older Halos, but I also like Quake and Shadowrun where movement is so much more complex yet isn't considered random there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a simple wall jump would have been so much better than thrust. Always being able to shoot and used almost exclusively offensively.  

I'd say that offensively also describes movements and not just the ability to shoot. I don't know if I've ever seen a thrust bump used to escape a fight or situation rather than aggressively push for better positioning at the cost of being vulnerable. Kinda similar to that slide boost feature that was removed, except you don't go nearly as far with thrust bumps.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Teapot you're mixing up the thrust bump and the thrust during fights arguments lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Doesn't that usually mean you're about to chime in on it? 

I thought the joke was that I know way too much about it but it doesn't matter 'cause I'm an old man, etc.