CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Honestly i dont see a point making a post on thrust here lol. I tried talking about the offensive maneuvers, reads, mind games, timing, etc that higher level players do but no one here cares about the intricacies of the game imo.

If you want to do it though, good luck. Maybe i wrote it wrong. I feel its an underrated skill in h5

Nah man, it's only a defensive option and ruins the game. What were 343 thinking?????

Nah man, it's only a defensive option and ruins the game. What were 343 thinking?????

But muh ninjas

Who doesn't love a good hyperbole.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I could probably trot out some cockamamie argument about how armor lock stimulated "mind games" in Reach BTB because a player who had it equipped could magically blow up vehicles that tried to splatter them. Does that make armor lock a valid mechanic that didn't break the game into a million pieces?

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I love how once exaggeration is used in an opposing side you guys trip but not when its your way lol

I could probably trot out some cockamamie argument about how armor lock stimulated "mind games" in Reach BTB because a player who had it equipped could magically blow up vehicles that tried to splatter them. Does that make armor lock a valid mechanic that didn't break the game into a million pieces?

Alright, you win lol

I swear people love to just exaggerate. No one said it had no offensive or skillful uses. The problem is that it is used a VAST majority of the time in a defensive way and simply makes ttk even longer especially at long ranges. If you are fighting someone across the map and they have thrust there is no chance you will kill them. They'll just thrust away. Caught in a bad position? Thrust away! Bad challenge? Thrust away!

But no, people that don't like thrust don't like it cuz we can't #adapt

Thank you for this, this is the exact kind of argument that I'm going to contest.

I swear people love to just exaggerate. No one said it had no offensive or skillful uses. The problem is that it is used a VAST majority of the time in a defensive way and simply makes ttk even longer especially at long ranges. If you are fighting someone across the map and they have thrust there is no chance you will kill them. They'll just thrust away. Caught in a bad position? Thrust away! Bad challenge? Thrust away!

For me, thrust is just unnecessary. It doesn't add much that a good strafe and base movement speed wouldn't already do. The negatives that you pointed out out-weigh the few positives that are gained by adding a thrust. Imo.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

For me, thrust is just unnecessary. It doesn't add much that a good strafe and base movement speed wouldn't already do. The negatives that you pointed out out-weigh the few positives that are gained by adding a thrust. Imo.

Ok im interested in this discussion, talking on a basis specifically on strafe (nothing else being discussed), what does no Thrust have and what does Thruster bring to the table?

Edit: I guess we can use the CS settings to discuss h5 without thrust

I personally still don't enjoy all the spartan abilities/movement abilities. I guess I just prefer "watered down" halo like H3. 

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get behind it, but it looks like it is in the future plans of halo for awhile.

I don't care if thrust stays or not but to say it doesn't add much a good strafe and base movement speed wouldn't isn't even close to reality. Trying to keep up with someone thrusting at an awkward close moment is literally impossible with how H5 aiming works out. Its crazy what can happen because of how fast it is and how bad the aiming in H5 in general is. I'm not even saying if its a good or a bad thing but good thrust > strafe as far as trying to juke someone. Its also used aggressively in every single close range battle. Some people seem to want to paint it as if its never used aggressively. People get so close to each other that running isn't really going to happen all the time not even counting the million times a game someone challenges.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah let me crossmap with the gun that has the least RR and magnetism. I'll definitely perfect him no probs./s You're saying thrust inherently increases long range ttk when even a rifle (besides the LR) would have trouble killing at that range without thrust. Also, if Im getting tagged up long range and decide to thrust back, Im now essentially useless for the next few moments, and my teams playing 3v4. It's definitely not like people strongsided  in other halos to stay alive long range, or nah people just got that idea to run away because thrust.

• Upvote (+1) 3

and you're a low Diamond player, does the same apply to your opinions? 

I don't think so, but let me know if it does.

smh

Awesome straw man, dude. Really. I love your passive aggressive bullshit.

Did I say I was a top tier H5 player? No. I'm generally low diamond because playing solo queue results in some of the worst matches I've ever seen in my life. Getting to Onyx from plat, while matching Onyx teams of 4 is not my idea of worthwhile competition. Well, and I've played less and less of ranked every month since the game was released. And you're low Onyx player, because you have the patience to grind it and I don't. Your point? His ill-informed argument speaks for itself. I was just pointing out how funny it is that he thinks that he's a "decent" player, something HE USED to support his argument. Or are you suggesting that "decent" players would think SMG starts in H2 doesn't result in extremely snowballed game types? There is no way you could actually be competent at the game and not understand the reason we have starting precision weapons in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

• Team Doubles is now a ranked playlist 
  • Breakout is now a social playlist
  • August 2016 season has begun

7cimADC.png

• Upvote (+1) 3

Some combination of Breakout/Infection/Grifball needs to be rotational. Social Breakout is a step towards improving the ranking system but still far away from perfect.

Yeah let me crossmap with the gun that has the least RR and magnetism. I'll definitely perfect him no probs./s You're saying thrust inherently increases long range ttk when even a rifle (besides the LR) would have trouble killing at that range without thrust. Also, if Im getting tagged up long range and decide to thrust back, Im now essentially useless for the next few moments, and my teams playing 3v4. It's definitely not like people strongsided in other halos to stay alive long range, or nah people just got that idea to run away because thrust.

Ok.

You just said its already hard to cross map.

And now you are adding thrust to make it even worse.

Great point.

I don't care if thrust stays or not but to say it doesn't add much a good strafe and base movement speed wouldn't isn't even close to reality. Trying to keep up with someone thrusting at an awkward close moment is literally impossible with how H5 aiming works out. Its crazy what can happen because of how fast it is and how bad the aiming in H5 in general is. I'm not even saying if its a good or a bad thing but good thrust > strafe as far as trying to juke someone. Its also used aggressively in every single close range battle. Some people seem to want to paint it as if its never used aggressively. People get so close to each other that running isn't really going to happen all the time not even counting the million times a game someone challenges.

On reclaimed settings thrust would be conlemtely unnecessary because the close range is strafe is so fast. Halo doesn't need thrust to add to strafes. The biggest problem is that you completely lose all aim assist when someone thrusts, making it even more effective for defensive purposes.

Some combination of Breakout/Infection/Grifball needs to be rotational. Social Breakout is a step towards improving the ranking system but still far away from perfect.

Ranked SWAT has got to go ASAP.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think they'll put Breakout in some type of rotation since it has multiple commendations tied to it.