CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I lagged out of a classic settings custom game last night and when I rejoined I had a 40m radar, default movement speed, and all my armor abilities.

Just lol.

That reminds of that H4 glitch where if you had a host change right when you picked up the flagnum, sometimes you would have the flag and whatever weapon you last had equipped. With infinite ammo. Fun stuff.

That's not to say older netcode was any better, crazy shit would happen all the time in H3 on a questionable connection. One time I was playing SWAT Flag on Snowbound (cringe), when my ping started to go nuts and we ended up in a game where people had to wait a minute to respawn at first, then that returned to normal, only to find that our flag straight up disappeared. I personally thought at the time it was a modder fucking with the game, but now I'm leaning more towards heavy lag and a wonky netcode now that similar stuff has happened after that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I lagged out of a classic settings custom game last night and when I rejoined I had a 40m radar, default movement speed, and all my armor abilities.

Just lol.

Even on HCS main stage people glitch out of maps etc. it's honestly pathetic how much shit they can get away with.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sorry to derail the thread somewhat but can we please get a hotfix for halo 5 infection soon. I'm so tired of cheaters sitting in out-of-boundaries spots that 343 has known about for months but refuses to fix.

Pretty much Halo 5 in a nutshell.

BTB has out-of-bounds areas, Grifball had out-of-bounds areas (Including a free turret and 40+ kills) and Infection has out-of-bounds areas.

343i has proven that they don't playtest their maps, mainly because they need that man-power making more REQs

• Upvote (+1) 3

The knockback setting really doesn't affect nade jumps for some reason.

We set it to 500%, and it absolutely does.  We scaled it back from there to find a sweet spot that will provide fairly consistent results, and offers enough of a boost to be worth losing your shield for, without making it awkward when you are actually blown by a nade on accident.  Pretty sure we decided on 200% if I'm not mistaken. Either that or 250%.  Smartan could tell you.

There's actually a fair amount of skill in getting a good nade jump in this game.  Your timing and your placement need to be perfect to get the full effect.  There's a fairly large window of partial boost, but a full boost requires you to be fairly precise with the timing of your jump, and where you are in relation to the grenade.  So for example, if you want to go up and forward, there's a noticeable difference in how you should jump over the grenade versus if you just want to go straight up.

Also if you have a poor connection to the server, good luck getting your timing right.  It's not at all intuitive.

We set it to 500%, and it absolutely does. We scaled it back from there to find a sweet spot that will provide fairly consistent results, and offers enough of a boost to be worth losing your shield for, without making it awkward when you are actually blown by a nade on accident. Pretty sure we decided on 200% if I'm not mistaken. Either that or 250%. Smartan could tell you.

There's actually a fair amount of skill in getting a good nade jump in this game. Your timing and your placement need to be perfect to get the full effect. There's a fairly large window of partial boost, but a full boost requires you to be fairly precise with the timing of your jump, and where you are in relation to the grenade. So for example, if you want to go up and forward, there's a noticeable difference in how you should jump over the grenade versus if you just want to go straight up.

Also if you have a poor connection to the server, good luck getting your timing right. It's not at all intuitive.

Yeah, 200% is what we decided on.

Also, because of how occupied vehicles are like rocks, BTB vehicle gameplay doesn't get destroyed at that setting.

The Evolved settings on my file share use this now.

Can anyone else find a game in Social Snipers? I can get a game in anything else, but I've waited 5 minutes and can't get a game.

Can anyone else find a game in Social Snipers? I can get a game in anything else, but I've waited 5 minutes and can't get a game.

How many matches have you played in Social Snipers (all variations of it) roughly?

How many matches have you played in Social Snipers (all variations of it) roughly?

I haven't played a single game of Social Snipers so far. I've probably played 20+ of Shotty Snipers when it was out.

I haven't played a single game of Social Snipers so far. I've probably played 20+ of Shotty Snipers when it was out.

:/

I'm thinking that your MMR built up alongside the other players in that variation of the playlist, and there's not many people with MMR that high on the current variation, so you aren't matching many, if any.

Just a guess, though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys, we're getting a lobby together for these Classic/Evolved setting customs. If anyone is trying to play send me a message! Have 3 so far.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Let me go ahead and expand on what I was saying. In my experience, and I have had plenty, you can check my profile if you want, I'm a decent player and I've played plenty. Battle Rifle and DMR gametypes, with or without radar, suck. They are boring, they are stupid, they turn the game into something that I hate, a bunch of 3-trigger-pull kills. I never said it was hard, or that I couldn't keep up, or any of that. Every time I play BR's, you can't go out in the open, you can't get close. People sit around pot-shotting at eachother like it's the hatfields and mccoys across their lawn. Of course I value and posses gun skill, you just made a wild "you have no skill" accusation of no where like an ignorant and arrogant probably self-proclaimed "pro" player would. I've used every gun in every situation you can think of, and let me tell you, it is boring as hell when everyone has the same long range weapons. Did I say anything about not getting kills? Or camping? NO. I said it is boring. It's too easy, it's too predictable, it's lame. And since you are so fiercely defending that type of play, I'm gonna assume you're one of those people that don't like radar (y'know kinda like the way you assumed I suck or have never played Halo after I've played it for 13 years) and I will refute thee on that issue too, in one simple sentence. You ready? Here it is: People who like to play Halo without radar, or with very limited radar, only like it because they cant butt -Yoink- someone that sees them coming. In other words: People that like no-radar gametypes only like them because they don't have to worry about someone turning around when they chase them. Same as BR starts: It's cheap and it's easy. AR starts puts everyone in the mindset to run rampant, get close to the enemy, and engage in the frenetic firefights that define Halo. It also encourages players to evolve their style and adopt the weapons lying in their environment, changing the pacing for some while others have to adapt to the new guy that picked up the sniper or DMR or shotgun or whatever the case may be. AR starts, with radar, encourages the most competitive play with the broadest range of unique encounters. Plain and simple. BR starts means players will not pick up any weapon unless it is situationally better than the BR, and in most situations, there isn't a better weapon. It's a 3-4 shot kill tops. Why would anyone pick up an SMG or AR in the game if they all have BRs? Why would they get close? (Unless of course, it's a small map. But even then, Halo 5's small maps are not very small, and the only successful counter to a BR in those maps would be rocket launcher/sword/shotgun.)

Waypoint kids. Dude's highest rank is a Gold 4 in SWAT. He's a "decent player."

• Upvote (+1) 4

Hey guys, we're getting a lobby together for these Classic/Evolved setting customs. If anyone is trying to play send me a message! Have 3 so far.

Due to work I can't ever stay up that late but I'd be down from 3pm - 9pm MST if you guys ever need one more

:/

I'm thinking that your MMR built up alongside the other players in that variation of the playlist, and there's not many people with MMR that high on the current variation, so you aren't matching many, if any.

Just a guess, though.

I'll give it some more time. If nothing comes from it I'll shoot Barvo a message on twitter.

Hey - Fuck off!!

#GoldLivesMatter

• Upvote (+1) 1

He's trying to tell me that AR starts in Halo 3 are better because, "tactical decisions".

and you're a low Diamond player, does the same apply to your opinions? 

I don't think so, but let me know if it does.

smh

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

smh

And you are  a betrayer that confuses team-mates with foes. Your opinion is auto defaulted to INVALID.   :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ah I see the defense crew is here. Looks like we need to talk about the thrust mechanics!

We have readings on David Sirlin playing to win every Thursday night and Saturdays we have Octagon to fine tune our thruster please do attend

• Upvote (+1) 4

smh

LOL this is great. I swear he got upset over using ranking and skill in opinionated arguments a month back.

To be fair @@arglactable never said that the waypoint kid's entire argument is invalid because of his mediocre rank, he just pointed out that claiming to be a "decent player" when all you got to show is a Gold 4 in SWAT in H5 is laughable at best.

And btw @@Devaneaux I remember you said you were going to make a lengthy post about the benefits of thruster, did that ever happen?

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be fair @@arglactable never said that the waypoint kid's entire argument is invalid because of his mediocre rank, he just pointed out that claiming to be a "decent player" when all you got to show is a Gold 4 in SWAT in H5 is laughable at best.

And btw @@Devaneaux I remember you said you were going to make a lengthy post about the benefits of thruster, did that ever happen?

I've been busy prepping for the end of my research project this term as well as some RL stuff. I'll probably make a new thread for it when I do get around to writing it, although I wish I had some skills to design graphics to help explain situations.

Although I get that it wasn't direct rank bashing, it was still that same old superiority bullshit that some Halo players love to flaunt as if this was the MLG forums.

I don't care if someone actually "hates" r/halo or consistently bashes Waypoint for whatever sense of self-righteousness someone might have, most other respectable gaming communities don't bring players ranks/skill into question off of opinions. It's a long standing bullshit tradition of the olden Halo days that at the end of the day makes all of us look like shit, no matter how thinly veiled it might be.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Honestly i dont see a point making a post on thrust here lol. I tried talking about the offensive maneuvers, reads, mind games, timing, etc that higher level players do but no one here cares about the intricacies of the game imo.

If you want to do it though, good luck. Maybe i wrote it wrong. I feel its an underrated skill in h5