CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So making it slower for everyone works better...for you... right?

Have you tried the settings? Because if you did, slow wouldn't be in your vocabulary when it comes to describing it. 

It's not everyone's cup of tea, obviously and no one expects it to, but "slow" is one thing that it's not. You'd know if you'd played a single second of it lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Have you tried the settings? Because if you did, slow wouldn't be in your vocabulary when it comes to describing it. 

It's not some people's cup of tea, but "slow" is one thing that it's not. You'd know if you'd played a single second of it lol.

So without sprint you can get from one side of the map to the other in the same amount of time as I could using sprint? No so it's slower

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 13

So without sprint you can get from one side of the map to the other in the same amount of time as I could using sprint? No so it's slower

Actually with sprint, you are moving the same base speed as older (H1-2) halo games in comparison to the map. So, sprint is slower when compared to the best games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nothing you've told me has been significant.

Are they different? Sure. But movement speed changes on the scale of 10-20 on certain weapons, and ammo buying don't make this game play "very differently".

Are you making these claims because you play Counter-Strike or because you do not play Counter-Strike?

Because it doesn't sound like you play Counter-Strike.

If you want the exact settings, do this:

Search my GT (SMARTAN 427)

Look for gametypes under Files (not bookmarks).

Download all of the Reclaimer settings(thats what I am calling them for now).

And there you go. Prepare yourself for extremely high amounts of fun.

FYI, I'm going to be playing around with Thruster using the 4SNSNR. Coming from a competitive integrity mindset, thruster pack and the meta behind it is just as enriching to Halo as wavedash was to Melee. If you disagree that's fine, I'll clarify on why Thruster is so damn good and could theoretically be made even better. But that's not a discussion to be had right now. I'll be toying around with longer Thrust CD and checking things out. The good news so far is that thruster pack doesn't benefit from increased movement speed.

So, at first, I thought my tendency to get extremely frustrated at Halo 5 was just because I get frustrated about ANYTHING PvP related.

But then I played 2 hours of Overwatch Ranked, and didn't come any where NEAR the foul mood I got after only a couple of Halo 5 games. Maybe because, for one, OW actually matches parties of similar sizes with each other, and how it doesn't feel like if you didn't get the first shot in a 1v1, your only option is to thrust out of sight and throw a grenade at your feet.

OW has a "get out of frustration free card" (is that a thing?) called "Switch Heroes." Comparing the two makes no sense.

OW has a "get out of frustration free card" (is that a thing?) called "Switch Heroes." Comparing the two makes no sense.

Unless you're Lucio. Then you're chill as fuck and skate around raking up points.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I adjested fine. I have onyx and champs and blabla.

And now we've played games with sprint for years. And some games are shifting away from it and those games feel fresh.

Oh Coop, I love when you bring up your ranks in this game.  :simms:

devs have on more than one occasion alluded to or flat out stated that maps are bigger because of sprint. You're not getting anywhere faster.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

devs have on more than one occasion alluded to or flat out stated that maps are bigger because of sprint. You're not getting anywhere faster.

So if we get rid of sprint we need a whole new set of maps for it to work how it should? Don't mention the forge maps because they suck.

• Downvote (-1) 3

So if we get rid of sprint we need a whole new set of maps for it to work how it should? Don't mention the forge maps because they suck.

Yes and your point? This is exactly why people said that the "No sprint" option in H5 customs was a bs answer from 343 because all their maps will be designed around Sprint anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 1

:apg: Most powerful forge in the history of the franchise, but don't mention the forge maps, guys.

• Upvote (+1) 6

:apg: Most powerful forge in the history of the franchise, but don't mention the forge maps, guys.

Have you seen 99.9% of the crap that comes out of forge? It's not the tools people have but the crap some people 'create'.

• Downvote (-1) 6

Have you seen 99.9% of the crap that comes out of forge? It's not the tools people have but the crap some people 'create'.

99.9% of the crap doesn't matter. It's the 0.1% that makes it worth it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

99.9% of the crap doesn't matter. It's the 0.1% that makes it worth it.

Your right yeah I totally agree. I've played some decent forge maps in the past. Yet to play a good one on H5 though unfortunately 

• Downvote (-1) 3

this was the exact case against sprint in the first place. And again, it's not doing anything in terms of speed, there's no reason to keep it.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

So if we get rid of sprint we need a whole new set of maps for it to work how it should?

That's the exact opposite of what it does. It's created to mimic Halo 5's speed without the downtime.

Kell:

"So the changes to movement accomplish three things":

"They up the base movement speed to be on par with sprinting in Halo 5, allowing the gametype to maintain the speed sprint gives, but much more consistently and not separating moving at that speed from your ability to attack. This not only works maintain the perceived faster pace of Halo 5, but actually makes it play even faster as you never have any down time on moving as fast as possible."

I had in mind to test it on launch Halo 5 maps (because as far as I know the original authors of the gametype did) and I'm sure others did as well, but for the most part I guess we just decided not to. There's more incentive to use custom maps in a custom game, really...

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's the exact opposite of what it does. It's created to mimic Halo 5's speed without the downtime.

Kell:

"So the changes to movement accomplish three things:

They up the base movement speed to be on par with sprinting in Halo 5, allowing the gametype to maintain the speed sprint gives, but much more consistently and not separating moving at that speed from your ability to attack. This not only works maintain the perceived faster pace of Halo 5, but actually makes it play even faster as you never have any down time on moving as fast as possible."

I had in mind to test it on launch Halo 5 maps and I'm sure others did as well, but for the most part I guess we just decided not to (there's more incentive to use custom maps in a custom game...)

This isn't me being a dick before people kick off... this is me asking because I haven't played these new/old settings on H5... If the speed is as high as sprinting all the time does that have a massive impact on say strafing I guess? Does it still work with that side of things?

• Downvote (-1) 2

FYI, I'm going to be playing around with Thruster using the 4SNSNR. Coming from a competitive integrity mindset, thruster pack and the meta behind it is just as enriching to Halo as wavedash was to Melee. If you disagree that's fine, I'll clarify on why Thruster is so damn good and could theoretically be made even better. But that's not a discussion to be had right now. I'll be toying around with longer Thrust CD and checking things out. The good news so far is that thruster pack doesn't benefit from increased movement speed.

I'm interested to read your clarification, because I've written many lengthy posts on the negatives of Thrust. Also, I'm not sure how literal your comparison to wavedashing is meant to be, but I am very critical of applying fighting game tropes to FPS games that strive for even a semblance of dexterous skill.

Good day

This isn't me being a dick before people kick off... this is me asking because I haven't played these new/old settings on H5... If the speed is as high as sprinting all the time does that have a massive impact on say strafing I guess? Does it still work with that side of things?

Oh, 'massive' would be putting it lightly... Strafing is infinitely more powerful and decreases overall aim assist across the board (which of course a lot of us playing enjoyed.)

Oddly enough, despite the fact that base health was increased to lower the effectiveness of automatics, they are still quite useful in close range due to how quickly precision weapons lose aim assist from the strafing.