CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Could only make it to the point where he was talking about how h3 only used a 24 hour counter.

Guy is an idiot. Baffles me how think that. You can look at the archives of bent (literally screen caps) and see a 24 hour AND concurrent counter. And in game the pop numbers would fluctuate up and down. A 24 hour counter cannot go down, only up.

As far as h5 population goes; so long as 343 is not confident enough in the population to institute party restrictions in ranked lists there is clearly an issue. And that issue is affecting the quality of the player experience.

@@Cooper you should keep watching man... he's just explaining how that 20k number compared to Halo 3 is false, and he is 100% correct about that. He still argues that Halo has declined, just that Halo 4 declined less than what people think.

@@Cooper you should keep watching man... he's just explaining how that 20k number compared to Halo 3 is false, and he is 100% correct about that. He still argues that Halo has declined, just that Halo 4 declined less than what people think.

Exactly. Still lots of room for ambiguity in numbers.

It was a very good video. I love the well thought out ones to listen to as background noise.

Point being, we can sit behind our keyboards until we're blue in the face arguing and bitching about abilities, movement, automatics, radar, etc, but Halo games will be populated if they provide an experience for all factions of the Halo fans. I don't know of any other game that has the creativity and variety to cater to any type of mode someone would want to play. The trick will be realizing that full potential so no group of players feels alienated.

Unironically yes.

You shouldn't hand out free kills to noobs because some skilled players have a really bad connection and get screwed sometimes. You should be expected to have a relatively good connection if you are gaming online.

How does Lag compensation make noobs get more kills exactly? You wont be trading with people that didn't actually hit you.

I eventually watched it all.

And no, people are not wrong at all about the "20k" number from H4.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080126213446/http://www.bungie.net/

220,000 CONCURRENT HALO 3 PLAYERS

1,000,000 24 Hour

The 220k is what people compare H4's 20k to.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Exactly. Still lots of room for ambiguity in numbers.

It was a very good video. I love the well thought out ones to listen to as background noise.

Point being, we can sit behind our keyboards until we're blue in the face arguing and bitching about abilities, movement, automatics, radar, etc, but Halo games will be populated if they provide an experience for all factions of the Halo fans. I don't know of any other game that has the creativity and variety to cater to any type of mode someone would want to play. The trick will be realizing that full potential so no group of players feels alienated.

Except Halo Reach was the epitome of variety of content and we still saw a massive decline in popuarity during it's watch because it had shit gameplay.

H5 has seen an increase in popularity over Reach and H4 despite having less content because it has better gameplay.

This is a GAME. GAMEplay is the most important aspect of a game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Except Halo Reach was the epitome of variety of content and we still saw a massive decline in popuarity during it's watch because it had shit gameplay.

H5 has seen an increase in popularity over Reach and H4 despite having less content because it has better gameplay.

This is a GAME. GAMEplay is the most important aspect of a game.

Yea, that's very obvious. I didn't think that needed to be stated for anyone on this forum.

Alas, I'll say it anyway: Now that we have a newer Halo with a solid base gameplay, more variety would hold and attract more players.

Yea, that's very obvious. I didn't think that needed to be stated for anyone on this forum.

Alas, I'll say it anyway: Now that we have a newer Halo with a solid base gameplay, more variety would hold and attract more players.

The gameplay being solid is your opinion. More content will attract more people but in the end if people don't like how a game plays it won't matter too much.

The gameplay being solid is your opinion. More content will attract more people but in the end if people don't like how a game plays it won't matter too much.

You're right, it is my opinion. But it is also the opinion of the playerbase that has been on the game since launch, and of the newer players that have grown the population (looking to see if that trend continues). That said, I think it is reasonable to say that there's a good amount of people that think the gameplay is solid. So how do you tweak that and add more variety to appease every group of players? Think that's the good question here, and the answer seems fairly simple: provide more play options.

You're right, it is my opinion. But it is also the opinion of the playerbase that has been on the game since launch, and of the newer players that have grown the population (looking to see if that trend continues). That said, I think it is reasonable to say that there's a good amount of people that think the gameplay is solid. So how do you tweak that and add more variety to appease every group of players? Think that's the good question here, and the answer seems fairly simple: provide more play options.

You assume the growth would not be much larger and more rapid if the gameplay were not so generic and full of issues.

Hell the only reason there is growth at all is because 343 backed off half the stuff people complained about and the classic Halo stuff they re-instituted has been a success. I don't see any logic that would suggest going even further in that direction would halt the expansion of the playerbase.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You assume the growth would not be much larger and more rapid if the gameplay were not so generic and full of issues.

Hell the only reason there is growth at all is because 343 backed off half the stuff people complained about and the classic Halo stuff they re-instituted has been a success. I don't see any logic that would suggest going even further in that direction would halt the expansion of the playerbase.

No, I'm operating under no such assumption. The premise I am operating under is the information and Halo game we have now, especially with the knowledge that future Halo games will operate on the same gameplay foundation as said by Frankie on NeoGAF the other day.

So, how do you make it more appealing under the roof of gameplay that we have and will have? Variety and innovation upon that, of course.

• Downvote (-1) 1

No, I'm operating under no such assumption. The premise I am operating under is the information and Halo game we have now, especially with the knowledge that future Halo games will operate on the same gameplay foundation as said by Frankie on NeoGAF the other day.

So, how do you make it more appealing under the roof of gameplay that we have and will have? Variety and innovation upon that, of course.

343 will forever do what they've always done. Chase the fad. Don't be surprised if we start to see hero shooter elements in Halo. I'm still convinced that the revive system in the Halo 5 campaign is going to be in the H6 multiplayer.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Im sure its already been discussed, but I'm (relatively) new around here and haven't really played halo like this since h3: what do you guys think is roughly the equivalent of an "MLG 50" in this game? TA 1800? 2000? 1500?

I'd say probably an Onyx 2000+ in Team Arena.

Edit:  @@Cooper, I recommend looking into Rainbow Six.  It plays unlike anything else out right now.  The combat itself is pretty generic, but the strategy and coordination the game allows for is what makes it fun.  My friends and I have been having a blast with it.  And it has a pretty solid ranking system too.

I'd say probably an Onyx 2000+ in Team Arena.

Edit:  @@Cooper, I recommend looking into Rainbow Six.  It plays unlike anything else out right now.  The combat itself is pretty generic, but the strategy and coordination the game allows for is what makes it fun.  My friends and I have been having a blast with it.  And it has a pretty solid ranking system too.

Military, ADS

Eh

Military, ADS

Eh

It's infinitely more fun than H5.

Military, ADS

Eh

Play Duck Dynasty the video game. Better shooter than Halo 5.  :kappa:

I eventually watched it all.

And no, people are not wrong at all about the "20k" number from H4.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080126213446/http://www.bungie.net/

220,000 CONCURRENT HALO 3 PLAYERS

H3's counter included every GT logged in on menu screens, including guests. H4 counted consoles (1 per each) in active MP sessions. Totally different data methodologies. But carry on...

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

well bungie counted those players because they new that because their menus were so awesome that people would spend hours on end staring at them, duh. :kappa:

Also while you're here @@Sal1ent, why is 343 so apprehensive when it comes to population statistics for halo 5? You guys have been saying they're awesome and we want to see that, flaunt that shit man.

• Upvote (+1) 4

H3's counter included every GT logged in on menu screens, including guests. H4 counted consoles (1 per each) in active MP sessions. Totally different data methodologies. But carry on...

LOL, nice excuse. No matter how you paint it, Halo 4 and 5 don't come anywhere close in terms of population to Halo 3. Even Reach was far more popular.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Not an excuse. H3 numbers were still higher, no doubt. Just letting you know that the numbers aren't directly comparable.

BTW, loved you in Snatch.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Also while you're here @@Sal1ent, why is 343 so apprehensive when it comes to population statistics for halo 5? You guys have been saying they're awesome and we want to see that, flaunt that shit man.

Pretty sure you can pull them in the public API. We don't display in game because people tend to focus on them too much and it can impact player behavior as a result. Also, the methodology isn't consistent game to game so it leads to inaccurate comparisons. Even trying to compare XBL position is pretty meaningless because player distribution over time has changed so much. The main thing is, are people playing and are they having fun? How do we impact those things to ensure that we provide the best play experience for the most people? That's our goal.

Anyhoo, my flight is taking off. TTYL!

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pretty sure you can pull them in the public API. We don't display in game because people tend to focus on them too much and it can impact player behavior as a result. Also, the methodology isn't consistent game to game so it leads to inaccurate comparisons. Even trying to compare XBL position is pretty meaningless because player distribution over time has changed so much. The main thing is, are people playing and are they having fun? How do we impact those things to ensure that we provide the best play experience for the most people? That's our goal.

Anyhoo, my flight is taking off. TTYL!

When you land can we talk about party restrictions? That's kinda the biggest thing we've been asking to talk about since before launch. Even pro players are complaining. Come on man pls don't just disappear now.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

The main thing is, are people playing and are they having fun? How do we impact those things to ensure that we provide the best play experience for the most people? That's our goal.

Remove radar in competitive, and add party restriction. I hate matching To4's when I solo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If we can pull them from the public Api I'm amazed no one has tried, also different methodologies from game to game seems odd, what would cause it to be inconsistent, and why would you guys even work with a system like that?