CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

There we go.

PC players wont accept paid Xbox Live, I doubt M$ is stupid enough to try that garbage. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Playlists are fine. Maybe they need better organization in the UI but they're fine.

Going to disagree. We've talked about this so feel free to just ignore but I'm writing it out for the memelords to read

• Importance/Image of Ranking System
  • Identity of Halo and Matchmaking's Effects on it
  • Balance of Diversity, Consistency, and Healthy Population

The last one we can't comment on without seeing actual numbers or a list that compared the playlists' popularity relative to each other, but the former two are super important for any game.

I can only plug this post so many times before I become frustrated with my own monotony. Having Breakout, SWAT, and Slayer Ranked dilutes the identity of 4v4 competition as the core of Halo, and makes ranks less coveted and sought after (along with a lack of rewards for performing well and extremely short/punishing seasons). At the RTX Halo panel today, people were making jokes about cutting the line for Q&A and Tom French (praise) joked "whoever has the highest CSR!" and like one person laughed. Hardly anyone knew what it meant. I'm not saying multiple playlists is the SOLE reason people don't care about ranks but it is a major, major part of it.

And as for the second point the debate reaches a dead end very quickly but I'll throw out my reasoning. Halo is the only game I know that stretches itself so thin and manages to limp on and stay afloat. BTB. SWAT. 4v4 Arena. Infection. Grifball. Mini games. Snipers, and more all slaughter the image that comes to a person's mind when they think of Halo. 

CS:GO - 5v5 Defuse

LoL - 5v5 Rift

Both of these games have clear, established gameplay that everyone identifies with, especially when pointed in the direction of eSports. Due to their colossal populations, they have the flexibility to dabble in other experiences such as LoL's Dominion or CS' Deathmatch, but the core remains the same, especially when it comes to Ranks, Playlists, or eSports.

Hell, CS:GO has some of the sickest UGC tools on the market, with a full army of content creators pumping out cool ideas. There are tools to create these, and even tools to share them in game, but you don't see a fucking dodgeball mini game playlist starring at the forefront of Global Offensive's matchmaking. Overwatch is another phenomenal example, as its maps/modes are all lumped into one playlist without ranks, one playlist with ranks, and then there exists a rotational slot for whacky ideas. Imagine if there was just a 12-Man McCree playlist permanently on the Overwatch matchmaking selection screen?

--

The argument against all of this is that "Halo is the game that can do it all!" "You can't shaft all these communities!" "This should have been here at launch!" and all of that I just find to be nonsense. Over the course of 15 years Bungie/343 have chipped away at Halo's identity by handling UGC/Matchmaking in a completely abnormal fashion compared to literally every other game or franchise in the industry. In doing so, they run their own resources extremely thin by forcing themselves to cater to all of these entitled communities (ours included). They focus on one, and the others suffer.

And to be honest, I totally expect nothing to come of it, you can't go back on 15 years of community development because the beast will come back wanting to be fed the same amount it always has. The grave has already been dug.

I truly, truly love all of the support Halo 5 has gotten since launch but deep down Halo 5's state at launch will always have a place in my heart as the moment where a Halo developer truly stuck to their guns with a streamlined vision and identity for their game.

Except Breakout. Fuck Breakout.

• Upvote (+1) 2

54% of the way to Achilles Helmet. I also saw there's been a clean up in the Spartan Company. So if there's active players they should get an invite.

Yup, I went through and removed 8-10 people. I'll be accepting people primarily through this thread.

Active players who play Arena and Warzone preferably, spots can also go to well-established community members.

• Upvote (+1) 2

These servers remind me so much of MCC. Why the FUCK are REQs and Boosts not stored locally if 343 know their servers are fucking garbage? Blows my mind

cuz security purposes. Anything locally stored are a lot easy to hack.

So I decided to play on my alt for a bit and I've been getting that glitch where everyone's guns were pointing up and the vehicles are flipped sideways for both games that I played. Does anyone know why this glitch happens? I remember seeing it months ago so I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet.

Why is Rumble Rockets a playlist?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well I'm giving it a bigger shot today than I did months ago guys and I just can't take this shit seriously. This game hands out headshots like candy. I'm aiming at a guy's back torso and it gives me a headshot. Well at least it disincentives sprint I guess? Do people really think the pistol takes skill in this game though? I guess compared to most of the other rifle pickups which are redundant but give you an advantage over anyone who just has a pistol. The pistol needs to be harder to use and get a buff to 4sk if we're gonna keep all these redundant utility weapons.

Oh and fuck the aiming for CQB. It's not completely terrible outside of 15 feet but in close I want to just kill myself and get it over with.

EDIT: Also the sticky aim is like lock on from Goldeneye. Doesn't feel low at all to me.

So much this. I don't know where people are getting the notion from that H5 is a skillful game. Even if you stripped away the crazy abilities the game still features some of the highest aim assist of the entire franchise. How are people coming to the conclusion that the pistol is hard to use? The only thing that makes it hard to use is the low RRR and the fact that players are zapping across the screen all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 4

So much this. I don't know where people are getting the notion from that H5 is a skillful game because even if you stripped away the crazy abilities the game still features some of the highest aim assist of the entire franchise. How are people coming to the conclusion that the pistol is hard to use? The only thing that makes it hard to use is the low RRR and the fact that players are zapping across the scree all the time.

Nah nah man, that's just Halo 5 having amazing gunplay! -NeoGAF

• Upvote (+1) 1

On another note, there is a round on Darkstar where three Promethean Soldiers spawn in Mantises. It honestly takes two minutes of continued fire of a Ghost Ultra to kill one of them, all while they are guarded by aimbot 1 hit kill Knights. Is this really what 343 considers fun? My tinfoil hat is telling me the bosses are OP like this to get more people to buy Gold REQs to even stand a chance against them.

On another note, there is a round on Darkstar where three Promethean Soldiers spawn in Mantises. It honestly takes two minutes of continued fire of a Ghost Ultra to kill one of them, all while they are guarded by aimbot 1 hit kill Knights. Is this really what 343 considers fun? My tinfoil hat is telling me the bosses are OP like this to get more people to buy Gold REQs to even stand a chance against them.

The real reason ODST FF wasn't included in the MCC?

It was to force you to buy Gold REQ's for Warzone FF

• Upvote (+1) 1

The real reason ODST FF wasn't included in the MCC?

It was to force you to buy Gold REQ's for Warzone FF

Well I think anything that reminds 343/M S about the Halo trilogys success is one more nail for their coffin. That they can not do better than the old games (forge excluded).

That might explain why they stopped their support for MCC or it was some Corporate BS or business move, honestly idk & I doubt we ever get any good explanation what truly happened which is sad.

Btw thanks for the explanation that you can use Forge with Silver membership :)

• Upvote (+1) 4

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4qzy06/something_needs_to_be_done_about_the_reputation/?st=iq6lbyon&sh=da80955d

Currently a thread on the Xbox Reddit about players blocking higher skilled players so they fall into the avoid me reputation and can't use matchmaking properly. Is this what the larger gaming community has become?

I'm starting to feel like troll culture and being whiny babies while getting beat is common place to players. Whatever happened to the mentality of leveling up instead of trying to find anyway possible to not play someone better than you?

Throwing out my playlists since I haven't in a while and the current lineup is tilting me into another dimension with how sloppy they are @@Deez @@Sal1ent

Ranked

• Team Arena (4v4, HCS)
  • Team Doubles (Community + Dev Maps)
  • Free-for-All

Social

• Slayer (4v4, can also include Community maps)
  • Breakout*
  • SWAT
  • Big Team Battle

Rotational (Double XP and/or REQ Pack Rewards, Weekly and/or Weekend)

• Community Arena
  • Action Sack
  • Race
  • Grifball
  • Infection
  • Snipers
  • Rumble Rockets
  • Breakout*
  • & more

*Breakout could be permanent or rotational based on population

**Rotational lists would be Weekly or Weekend-only based on popularity and severity of niche (Snipers = Weekly, Grifball = Weekend with better rewards)

Are those social lists or "social" lists?

If 343 isn't going to make real social them all lists should be ranked.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Playlists are fine. Maybe they need better organization in the UI but they're fine.

Lol

Ok

• Upvote (+1) 4

Going to disagree. We've talked about this so feel free to just ignore but I'm writing it out for the memelords to read

• Importance/Image of Ranking System
  • Identity of Halo and Matchmaking's Effects on it
  • Balance of Diversity, Consistency, and Healthy Population
The last one we can't comment on without seeing actual numbers or a list that compared the playlists' popularity relative to each other, but the former two are super important for any game.

I can only plug this post so many times before I become frustrated with my own monotony. Having Breakout, SWAT, and Slayer Ranked dilutes the identity of 4v4 competition as the core of Halo, and makes ranks less coveted and sought after (along with a lack of rewards for performing well and extremely short/punishing seasons). At the RTX Halo panel today, people were making jokes about cutting the line for Q&A and Tom French (praise) joked "whoever has the highest CSR!" and like one person laughed. Hardly anyone knew what it meant. I'm not saying multiple playlists is the SOLE reason people don't care about ranks but it is a major, major part of it.

And as for the second point the debate reaches a dead end very quickly but I'll throw out my reasoning. Halo is the only game I know that stretches itself so thin and manages to limp on and stay afloat. BTB. SWAT. 4v4 Arena. Infection. Grifball. Mini games. Snipers, and more all slaughter the image that comes to a person's mind when they think of Halo.

CS:GO - 5v5 Defuse

LoL - 5v5 Rift

Both of these games have clear, established gameplay that everyone identifies with, especially when pointed in the direction of eSports. Due to their colossal populations, they have the flexibility to dabble in other experiences such as LoL's Dominion or CS' Deathmatch, but the core remains the same, especially when it comes to Ranks, Playlists, or eSports.

Hell, CS:GO has some of the sickest UGC tools on the market, with a full army of content creators pumping out cool ideas. There are tools to create these, and even tools to share them in game, but you don't see a fucking dodgeball mini game playlist starring at the forefront of Global Offensive's matchmaking. Overwatch is another phenomenal example, as its maps/modes are all lumped into one playlist without ranks, one playlist with ranks, and then there exists a rotational slot for whacky ideas. Imagine if there was just a 12-Man McCree playlist permanently on the Overwatch matchmaking selection screen?

--

The argument against all of this is that "Halo is the game that can do it all!" "You can't shaft all these communities!" "This should have been here at launch!" and all of that I just find to be nonsense. Over the course of 15 years Bungie/343 have chipped away at Halo's identity by handling UGC/Matchmaking in a completely abnormal fashion compared to literally every other game or franchise in the industry. In doing so, they run their own resources extremely thin by forcing themselves to cater to all of these entitled communities (ours included). They focus on one, and the others suffer.

And to be honest, I totally expect nothing to come of it, you can't go back on 15 years of community development because the beast will come back wanting to be fed the same amount it always has. The grave has already been dug.

I truly, truly love all of the support Halo 5 has gotten since launch but deep down Halo 5's state at launch will always have a place in my heart as the moment where a Halo developer truly stuck to their guns with a streamlined vision and identity for their game.

Except Breakout. Fuck Breakout.

You're ignoring that these other games have server browsers for these alt experiences. Halo doesn't. If they are not in a playlist, nobody gets to play them.

Plenty of console games have alt experience playlists. COD has tons of them.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It probably is time for Slayer to move to being Social rather than ranked. I can understand that would upset people as there is a community that really cares about ranks in Slayer.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Launched my xbone & H5 tried to go Forging only to find out that it needs Gold memebership... just why..

It probably is time for Slayer to move to being Social rather than ranked. I can understand that would upset people as there is a community that really cares about ranks in Slayer.

Why

why what?

Why would they move slayer from visual ranks to hidden ranks?