CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I noticed they changed the post-game stats with the XP and RP stuff. Does anyone know what the number is at the very bottom of the RP section? I thought it was XP and RP combined at first, but they don't add up.

I think it's your RP total

I noticed they changed the post-game stats with the XP and RP stuff. Does anyone know what the number is at the very bottom of the RP section? I thought it was XP and RP combined at first, but they don't add up.

Its your overall REQ points.

Alright, thanks. It was confusing me since it was too much for normal RP and none of the numbers added up.

I'm not going to lie, in ODST Firefight, it was probably the most fun FPS PvE experience I've had, at least in regard to wave clearing (The vidmasters were all very fun to do in general). All the enemies had their role to play, and they were all designed very well together as far as what those roles meant when they coalesced. The problem with the Prometheans in general is that they don't mix very well together, or with anything for that matter, and there's no risk vs. reward for them. You just continue shooting until they die.

I remember in ODST while doing the vidmasters that I was the one who took on the Hunters because I was the best at reading their telegraphs and shotgunning them in the back. The reward meant that they would die without firing too many ranged attacks while also taking them out of the game, while the risk was that one misstep and I would be one shot by their melee attack or killed by other AI. Whether Bungie intended this, the result is still that a strategy in response to its "character" was developed that could kill it while not being incredibly easy but still having a reward worth pursuing. It is in this way that 343's AI fail because they are all annoying more than anything to deal with (even the Covenant are just a pain) for multiple glaring reasons, including a certain lack of risk versus reward with "Do X amount of damage" in its stead.

I also hate that their range is fucking infinite and if a swarm of Crawlers/Soldiers/Anything attacks you en masse you might as well just kill yourself and save yourself the time.

ODST FF was just so beautiful. Remember how you could time a dodge and backsmack a grav hammer brute? I bet 343 would have patched that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So I just played my first game of Warzone FF and I have a question... On that Snow map, has anyone had the Banshee Raider get outside/below the map? Literally just loss because we killed 3 out of 4 and the fourth one was outside the map haha.

I'm not going to lie, in ODST Firefight, it was probably the most fun FPS PvE experience I've had, at least in regard to wave clearing (The vidmasters were all very fun to do in general). All the enemies had their role to play, and they were all designed very well together as far as what those roles meant when they coalesced. The problem with the Prometheans in general is that they don't mix very well together, or with anything for that matter, and there's no risk vs. reward for them. You just continue shooting until they die. 

I remember in ODST while doing the vidmasters that I was the one who took on the Hunters because I was the best at reading their telegraphs and shotgunning them in the back. The reward meant that they would die without firing too many ranged attacks while also taking them out of the game, while the risk was that one misstep and I would be one shot by their melee attack or killed by other AI. Whether Bungie intended this, the result is still that a strategy in response to its "character" was developed that could kill it while not being incredibly easy but still having a reward worth pursuing. It is in this way that 343's AI fail because they are all annoying more than anything to deal with (even the Covenant are just a pain) for multiple glaring reasons, including a certain lack of risk versus reward with "Do X amount of damage" in its stead.

I also hate that their range is fucking infinite and if a swarm of Crawlers/Soldiers/Anything attacks you en masse you might as well just kill yourself and save yourself the time.

I recall, when I played the H5 campaign for the first time, I was actually pretty impressed with the overhaul to the hunters. The were deadly, they punishing, they were pretty scary. But on reflection, particularly in the context of your anecdote above, I've realized that what they actually did was make them BORING. Close quarters is really only viable with an energy sword (because you can stun-lock them from behind) and now that they've had a speed buff (even more so when they "rage") and a health buff, trying to engage them close up with pretty much just gets you killed, when it was clearly viable in previous games. So, the strategy largely ends up being pots shots taken as you duck in and out of cover, trying not to get bodied by their fuel rods. They are bullet sponges that you wear down with an endless torrent of ammunition, which is why the first room in which you encounter two of them in the campaign is FULL of grenades and ammunition.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I recall, when I played the H5 campaign for the first time, I was actually pretty impressed with the overhaul to the hunters. The were deadly, they punishing, they were pretty scary. But on reflection, particularly in the context of your anecdote above, I've realized that what they actually did was make them BORING. Close quarters is really only viable with an energy sword (because you can stun-lock them from behind) and now that they've had a speed buff (even more so when they "rage") and a health buff, trying to engage them close up with pretty much just gets you killed, when it was clearly viable in previous games. So, the strategy largely ends up being pots shots taken as you duck in and out of cover, trying not to get bodied by their fuel rods. They are bullet sponges that you wear down with an endless torrent of ammunition, which is why the first room in which you encounter two of them in the campaign is FULL of grenades and ammunition.

Ultimately every enemy had a brute force option to take them down, but there was almost always a secondary option to take them down that was at least relatively apparent. 343 pursued virtually none of that, even if certain Prometheans have multiple weak spots.

I also incredibly dislike how they handle vehicles in Warzone. I kind of understand it, but at the same time it limits our options to just the brute force option of dealing with them and makes the gameplay that much more dull.

God man... Can I fucking opt to NOT join games in progress. Jesus christ man, I can't play a single game of BTB without joining a match down 2-0 in a CTF. Like come on man...

Every time I get on this game there is just constant reminders of why I hate playing this damn game. God...

I might slow down playing Halo, and go back to Runescape. Need to play 07. At least I'll have nostalgia there.

I might slow down playing Halo, and go back to Runescape. Need to play 07. At least I'll have nostalgia there.

Tbh same on the 07 nostalgia. Kinda bored with h5 now and considering to play another shooter as my side game. I know I'll play Shadowrun but maybe I'll play blops 3 as well.

I thinking about giving RS another shot too, I've been hearing so much of randomly lately in random game chats lol.

I can't win a single game today, FF, BTB, Arena... I have to put this game down before I explode.

Overwatch's new competitive mode is pretty sweet. There's a neat feature I wish Halo had.. It's a pretty new matchmaking feature so I don't know if it's possible.. But Blizzard made this thing called "Party Restrictions".

So basically, when you're in a party... You match other parties of the same size. I believe their idea behind this new feature was to make balanced matches. So, you know, that coordinated teams can't steam roll teams of complete randoms.

Imagine if Halo'd had that back in the day. That would have been sweet.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Haven't gotten a chance to play arena since the update, but it's in there? Interesting that we went through all the arena settings test period to mirror the HCS settings only to introduce a new map.

Probably should have mentioned that my observations were based off of customs with friends of mine, and I'm assuming that it is only in the slayer playlist right now.

Probably should have mentioned that my observations were based off of customs with friends of mine, and I'm assuming that it is only in the slayer playlist right now.

Likely Slayer, FFA and SWAT.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I won 6 slayer matches and went from Diamond 1 to Diamond 4.

loses the 7th

Ahh whatever, i'll get off the next time i win

It's been 2 hours and I'm still here. and down back to Diamond 1....is this normal?

post got deleted? anyone wanna play ce? 

> Halo 5 < discussion thread.

Wow, I thought people in regular Warzone were bad. In Firefight, hardly anyone calls in vehicles, teammates shooting enemies not even near the core that were supposed to protect while a herd of enemies is shooting the core untouched, and they're shooting Warden with BR's. *Facepalm*

And who thought it was a good idea to put 3 Wardens in the home base on Stormbreak? If you don't kill the Knights right away, you're pretty much screwed since you can barely even get multiple vehicles in the base to shoot the Wardens before the time runs out. All while you're getting tag teamed by Knights with Incin cannons.

Wow, I thought people in regular Warzone were bad. In Firefight, hardly anyone calls in vehicles, teammates shooting enemies not even near the core that were supposed to protect while a herd of enemies is shooting the core untouched, and they're shooting Warden with BR's. *Facepalm*

And who thought it was a good idea to put 3 Wardens in the home base on Stormbreak? If you don't kill the Knights right away, you're pretty much screwed since you can barely even get multiple vehicles in the base to shoot the Wardens before the time runs out. All while you're getting tag teamed by Knights with Incin cannons.

Yeah people on waypoint cry it's impossible when they do nothing but use BRs and groundpound bosses.

Overwatch's new competitive mode is pretty sweet. There's a neat feature I wish Halo had.. It's a pretty new matchmaking feature so I don't know if it's possible.. But Blizzard made this thing called "Party Restrictions".

So basically, when you're in a party... You match other parties of the same size. I believe their idea behind this new feature was to make balanced matches. So, you know, that coordinated teams can't steam roll teams of complete randoms.

I won all 10 of my placement matches without ever searching in a group larger than 3 thanks to this strange and exciting new feature in the world of online gaming.

Imagine if Halo'd had that back in the day. That would have been sweet.

Oh my goodness.