CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It still blows my mind how this game doesn't have social slayer.

I'm a huge fan of H5 but some nights even I don't feel like choosing between (1) WZ, which has gotten a bit stale, (2) sweaty Arena, or (3) a mediocre BTB playlist.  How effing hard can it be ... just add social slayer and action sack, like every other Halo multiplayer experience since 2007 or whatever

We have just launched the ASTRO Spartans FFA Tournament for tomorrow at 6pm EST, free entry as always.

Are the settings like MLG's settings on Gamebattles?

It always meant one thing until h5.

Hell, it still means the same thing in every other game.

No visible ranks, fast searches, loose skill parameters.

Well, it seems to mean something different to anyone you ask.

For example, to me it just means unranked play. To others it means a playlist where they get to pubstomp.

Social, to me at least, has simply been a playlist where you don't have to worry about losing or gaining rank.

You really never see Charge at higher levels of play though.... While it's a universally despised mechanic due to it's ridiculous reach and aiming capability, rarely does it become a huge factor in someone getting a clutch kill.

While I don't like it's aim assist, I just feel like it's a mechanic that like double melee while sprinting in older halos, doesn't really see much use outside of movement in H5.

when playing 'casually' (that thing people used to do in Halo i heard) it's horrible and cheap

• Upvote (+1) 3

At least they got rid of that god awful speed boost + spartan charge = one hit kill idea. 

That's like saying "But at least they got rid of flinch in halo 4"

That's like saying "But at least they got rid of flinch in halo 4"

Bad phrasing on my part. Just bringing up that they somehow made this mechanic worse while ignoring the overall problem.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, it seems to mean something different to anyone you ask.

For example, to me it just means unranked play. To others it means a playlist where they get to pubstomp.

Social, to me at least, has simply been a playlist where you don't have to worry about losing or gaining rank.

Well considering 99.99% of games with social use the same system with H5 being the only outlier I can think of I'm going to assume most people see social in a similar light.

H5 has social. It's warzone. Warzone dominates h5 population. While obviously it has "pub stomping" issues, these issues are easily offset by the fact that it provides an enjoyable casual experience.

I fail to see the point of a playlist that functions in the exact same manner as a ranked list but with the rank not displayed on the in game UI. It's not providing a different enough experience to justify existence.

I would bet good money that if 343 put out "social" slayer with tight MM and then later actual social slayer that the later would obliterate the former in population metrics.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are the settings like MLG's settings on Gamebattles?

Yes, minor difference is we have BR/Pistol start.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How many people in each match?  6, 8?

How many people in each match?  6, 8?

8, top 4 advance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pros Spartan charge all the time especially with sword. And Spartan charge is way worse that double melees. It has longer range, insane magnetism (video proof), has a quicker recovery time than a regular melee, and it makes you absolute.

I don't know what pro gameplay you're watching, but more often than not, melee range battles end with AR use or a regular melee. I rarely have seen a pro just blatantly charge in to an engagement because the lag coupled with aware enemy teams will normally get you melted, let alone the fact that you can dodge it pretty easily if you see it coming.

Spartan Charge with sword should be tested in terms of range vs a regular zoom lunge. I think the zoom lunge has more range, but you can obviously choke it a bit easier than a spartan charge. I do think that spartan charge 1 shot with sword is a bit too much, the hammer doesn't even have that anymore.

Are you 100% sure on faster recovery time than a normal melee? I don't think that's actually the case. 

Charge making you absolute to a BR, DMR, or AR coupled with it's magnetism is one of my biggest problems with that ability. 

IMO, they should make charge be just that, a quick horizontal floaty normal melee attack with longer range and knockback. Maybe increase the y-direction on the knockback to pop players up in the air for a finish/possible thrust to counter. It having insane range and magnetism coupled with how much damage it does in general is a little too strong for what it should be.

Question, what's the rationale behind BR/pistol starts? Is it a nostalgia thing/cross-map capability/lethality of the BR? From what I've seen of Vetoed and Kampy FFA GB gameplay, it seems like it's just a superior weapon in stealing kills/punishing positioning, something that FFA players promote as an aspect of being a good FFA player. I just personally hate it's ease of use.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Question, what's the rationale behind BR/pistol starts? Is it a nostalgia thing/cross-map capability/lethality of the BR? From what I've seen of Vetoed and Kampy FFA GB gameplay, it seems like it's just a superior weapon in stealing kills/punishing positioning, something that FFA players promote as an aspect of being a good FFA player. I just personally hate it's ease of use.

We did it primarily to adhere to the established GameBattles settings, as those tournaments have gone over fairly well.

There was a lot of discussion that went down (BR Only, Default AR/Pistol, etc.) and we settled on this for continuity's sake with frequent FFA competitors. There are also no Weapons, no Weapon Pads, and no Powerups on map so 8 BRs might have gotten a little stale, this just makes things a tad more interesting and dynamic.

If enough people play and give feedback we are open to changes but we're sure this will play fine as is.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've always thought h5 ffa would be better with BR starts. The autos are utterly ridiculous in that playlist. I also actually think the BR wouldn't result in much of a net gain in "kill stealing" as more individual battles between br users will actually end with someone dying.

You really never see Charge at higher levels of play though.... While it's a universally despised mechanic due to it's ridiculous reach and aiming capability, rarely does it become a huge factor in someone getting a clutch kill.

While I don't like it's aim assist, I just feel like it's a mechanic that like double melee while sprinting in older halos, doesn't really see much use outside of movement in H5.

Are you talking about double melee from C.E., or herpa derp from Reach+?  Double melee from C.E. took skill and is actually only seen at higher levels of play.  Spartan charging does not take skill and should be removed.  I don't see any argument of why it should stay.  

Are you talking about double melee from C.E., or herpa derp from Reach+?  Double melee from C.E. took skill and is actually only seen at higher levels of play.  Spartan charging does not take skill and should be removed.  I don't see any argument of why it should stay.  

Charge has mobility uses and was decent in the beta.

Current charge has ridiculous aim assist and is fucking stupid.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach. It's useful as a way to save your thrust because there are gaps where you can charge across, thus saving your thrust for a 1v1 or other situation. You get punished as well for hitting map geometry with a longer recovery time so when there's no aim assist, it's better. They should just remove the magnetism entirely.

I've always thought h5 ffa would be better with BR starts. The autos are utterly ridiculous in that playlist. I also actually think the BR wouldn't result in much of a net gain in "kill stealing" as more individual battles between br users will actually end with someone dying.

Kill stealing happens more with the BR because of bleedthrough, zoomed RRR, and ease of use. There is absolutely a net gain in kill stealing just from those factors alone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think H5 FFA would be better with pistol only starts.

In a gametype that's based fairly heavily on gunskill, a starting weapon like the BR does a lot to lower the difference between better players and worse players.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Kill stealing happens more with the BR because of bleedthrough, zoomed RRR, and ease of use. There is absolutely a net gain in kill stealing just from those factors alone.

But these increases can be offset by the amount of 1v1 that will end without third party interference.

I think H5 FFA would be better with pistol only starts.

In a gametype that's based fairly heavily on gunskill, a starting weapon like the BR does a lot to lower the difference between better players and worse players.

Especially if there are no other weapons on map. The main justification for choosing BR starts is to lower the average kill time, effectively nerfing automatics, power weapons, and spartan abilities. There's little point if there are no other weapons to nerf indirectly, and I think the BR's greater ease of use might actually counteract the effects of a lower average kill time because players will be more eager to escape when disadvantaged by only a fraction of health. Besides, there isn't really much room for escape anyway when you have seven enemies instead of four, so Magnum-only starts (no AR) couldn't be any more stagnant than BR starts.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Extremely disappointed in BR starts for the FFA. I appreciate free tournaments but this definitely killed some of my hype. I can 4 shot with my toe with that gun, it aims itself. The pistol would make some sick gun fights.