CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It doesn't help that the uncharismatic EG keeps on winning. I feel like I'm watching robots when they're accepting trophies or being interviewed. "Yes, we have won. We trained a lot. Goodbye." Final Boss won a lot and it was awesome because they had energy and spunk. I rather watch a Twitch commercial than hear anyone on EG talk.

EG?

Okay, I'm convinced you dont even watch the HCS and are just complaining to complain right now.

Shhhh.

EG?

Okay, I'm convinced you dont even watch the HCS and are just complaining to complain right now.

Shhhh.

EG is Royal 2, Snakebite, Frosty, and Lethul, right?

EG?

Shhhh.

Yes, EG. Yes, I do watch it. Yes, people have different opinions about other people. EG is extremely boring to watch.

does anybody ever wanted  or requested a hard MMR reset after each time they tweak the Ranking System?

Yes, EG. Yes, I do watch it. Yes, people have different opinions about other people. EG is extremely boring to watch.

I agree. EG and CLG are both extremely boring to see win. Maybe it's because that's all we've seen for a couple years, but it makes the tournaments very unexciting and predictable.

does anybody ever wanted  or requested a hard MMR reset after each time they tweak the Ranking System?

They did this after pre-season for SWAT and FFA since the initial MMR results were skewed.

100gb? Jesus. I think my bandwidth is only 150.

I dunno where everyone is getting 100GB from. Halo 5 is about 80GB, varying per region. It might jump, but not 100GB surely.

I know you've clarified EG a few times now.. but CLG won the HWC.. 

like I don't think anyone is debating your opinion of EG being uncharismatic, but stating things are boring because EG keeps winning doesn't really make sense to me unless you are talking about CLG.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The real difference there is in how appropriate the bag is.  I find bad players tend to bag when they finally kill you after you've dumped on them like 4 times in a row.  Or they do it after very mundane kills where they had help.  It's ridiculous but it doesn't get under my skin.  It's almost more of a compliment that I made them so angry to begin with.

The bolded always kills me. XP Run their ass through the grinder and then they bag when they finally get you. Once. It's always petty gold when it happens in Warzone/WZ Assault,  solely due to the nature of the gametype.

• Upvote (+1) 3

LOL Hopefully people have a 100gb to spare for Halo 5! Why not just make it free forever?

Lol. Didn't even think of that. Who the hell is going to download a 100 gig game for 5 days? Makes no sense.

I dunno where everyone is getting 100GB from. Halo 5 is about 80GB, varying per region. It might jump, but not 100GB surely.

It's 80 something now. With the firefight update incoming. I would be very suprised if it's under 10 gigs.

Bandwidth is 175 so 80 should be ok.

Interested to see what Forge is like and stuff. And see if the aiming is any better...

Played the game for a couple hours yesterday.  Played doubles.  Had a fairly decent time.   

Played Team arena today to do placement matches.  Good god the game is so bad.  Nothing was fun about it.  It was so stale and boring.   Not to mention the most frustrating game to play ever.   It took everything I had just to keep playing.  By game seven I wanted to puke.  Everything about it is frustrating. 

Bandwidth is 175 so 80 should be ok.

Interested to see what Forge is like and stuff. And see if the aiming is any better...

Nope

Nope

I haven't played since before they released the setting adjustments for the control stick.

I know it's still ass but it has to be better than before that update.

Human bases on Sanghelios.. The one time where they could actually have an excuse to do something different like using Convenant skins/designs for the bases and they choose not to. I guess I expected too much.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Why not remove the Sprint and change the speed boost to resemble Sprint and Halo 6? It gives you the ability to sprint for a certain amount of time. It gives Sprint and non Sprint players their wishes but also changes the speed boost into a useful power up.

Any plan where Step One is removing sprint, I'm on board.

I like Halo 5.  It's fun.  But it's not as fun as it should be.  They could keep this direction and I'd be ok with it, if they changed the following:

Party Restrictions.  It's absence is killing Arena.

The aiming is ass.  One of the few things Halo 4 did perfectly was it's aiming (imo smoothest in the series).  Just do that again.

Either nerf the autos or buff the magnum.

Reduce sandbox redundancy.

Either make spartan charge harder to use, or get rid of it entirely.

Make the sniper reasonable.  Halo: Reach level of difficulty would be adequate at this point.

No radar in Team Arena, bigger radar in FFA.

And finally, I'd like to see a visual indication on the player model of whether their thrust is on cooldown or not.

Those are my biggest gripes.  Everything else is small potatoes comparatively.

I agree with everything on your list except the last item, because I would rather that Thrust be removed entirely.  On the surface, it seems as though an ability that gives you an omnidirectional burst of speed anytime, anywhere would do wonders for the player's ability to act creatively.  But I think that Thrust's unlimited nature actually limits the practical creativity players can implement and experience.  I've said this before, but here it is again: "restrictions breed creativity."  If you have Thrust in its current form, you can bypass so many more gaps and subvert intentional restrictions of the map geometry.  It's so easy to mix up your movement now, whereas before you only had your timing and awareness, your mastery of tricky jumps, and a dirty strafe.  Now, I'm not saying that these skills disappear with the addition of Thrust or that you cannot time Thrust or perform trick jumps with Thrust, but I think that their importance is diminished by the relative power of the base Thrust ability used on its own.  As I've said before, the shortest path from A to B is a straight line, and if the obstacles are removed, players will often take that obvious, boring path, and it will be less challenging for them and less interesting for everyone playing against them.

That said, I'm not one to leave it at "remove it."  I'm really interest in the idea of a wall kick.  Jump into a wall, and if you held the jump button because you were smart and planned ahead, you can spring off the wall perpendicularly at full base speed (maybe even just slightly faster) by releasing the jump button while touching the wall.  Release it too early and you're a sitting duck.  Or you can choose not to wall kick and simply slide down the wall, throwing off your opponent who expected you to wall kick because your boots light up while you hold down the jump button (that idea of yours is really good, btw).  In this way, you have a cool movement option that is only powerful when used correctly in the right situations.  It doesn't dominate the game, it doesn't change how you approach basic obstacles like a gap between platforms, and, best of all, it's impractical for escape (I forgot to mention that that's a huge problem with Thrust, it's just so obvious) because the fast routes always run parallel to walls, not perpendicular.  And you've probably already seen the post I'm about to link, but it includes a few other movement options that could take the place of the Spartan Abilities: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/?p=616661 

This is the model I want for additions to Halo.  I want things that increase individual empowerment without decreasing practical individual creativity.

TLDR: Thrust oversimplifies movement and combat, in my opinion. and removes restrictions that force players to be creative.  Replace it with something like wall kicking, which I have detailed above.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Human bases on Sanghelios.. The one time where they could actually have an excuse to do something different like using Convenant skins/designs for the bases and they choose not to. I guess I expected too much.

The day the screenshots were released, I posted to r/halo "what a beautiful backdrop this will be for those pre-fab UNSC warzone bases!" and got downvoted to shit. And whaddya know...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Purple Reign is, honest-to-god, the best map in Halo 5, and the first map in multiple titles (probably going back to Highlands in Reach or Citadel in H3) to scream 'HALO' to me. This type of stuff is what Halo, namely arena Halo, needs going forward.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The day the screenshots were released, I posted to r/halo "what a beautiful backdrop this will be for those pre-fab UNSC warzone bases!" and got downvoted to shit. And whaddya know...

Wait

The new warzone maps use the same bases as all the others?

Lol. Didn't even think of that. Who the hell is going to download a 100 gig game for 5 days? Makes no sense.

Downloading 100 GB would take maybe an hour on my connection, I would do it to play H5 for free if I didn't already own it ...

I mean, I agree that it's a bit ridiculous, but I think this might make the conversion rate a bit higher.  (After a week: "well, I already downloaded the thing, might as well pay half-price and keep it ...")