CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I casually scrolled through and saw about 10 people who are like SR 40s and haven't played in months.

They're probably "VIPs" though.

Right, Saucey is an SR37 ... sigh.  Though the Company is about more than just the Achilles helmet.

Anyway the game has been out for eight months; anyone who isn't at SR80 or SR90 hasn't really been playing the game

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do you not get notified if your post is deleted? I just noticed it was missing. I mean fair enough, I was pretty harsh on Frankie because I think he is being dishonest.

But I will state again the 5 million SHIPPED number is meaningless, there's probably tons of copies sitting on shelves. I want sold through numbers. I'm sure they'll sell most of those shipped copies but it's still a terrible number after hitting 10 million copies 3 times in a row. Just proves how badly halo 4 and mcc damaged the brand. And I would say it is bad for Microsoft and Xbox in general and probably contributes to low console sales.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do you not get notified if your post is deleted? I just noticed it was missing. I mean fair enough, I was pretty harsh on Frankie because I think he is being dishonest.

But I will state again the 5 million SHIPPED number is meaningless, there's probably tons of copies sitting on shelves. I want sold through numbers. I'm sure they'll sell most of those shipped copies but it's still a terrible number after hitting 10 million copies 3 times in a row. Just proves how badly halo 4 and mcc damaged the brand. And I would say it is bad for Microsoft and Xbox in general and probably contributes to low console sales.

A few million copies sounds about right ... keep in mind that there are ~20 million XB1 consoles versus (iirc) ~120 million X360 consoles at H4's release

The person "confirming" this goes on to specify that he didn't specify shipped vs sold because they're "the same thing" which assuredly, it is not.

Frankies a low level ms exec. To him it is the same.

4mil seems like a concrete number, physical+digital+1mil copies on shelf's around the world. I think h5 is in a great place consider 4 and mcc commiting brand assassination, Xbox one doing MEH and the unfinished game they shipped to us.

If ms comes out and says they shipped 5mil copies to stores and such, you can bet they're covering for less than desirable numbers actually sold, it's a deliberate misdirect of the truth. Funny thing is I've seen activision do this with cod ghosts, they said they shipped one billion worth of games to stores, but I don't think we ever got concrete numbers from them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

considering that ce is an amalgamation of different shooter concepts I'd say @@Infinity is correct on this one, btw so is @@Cursed Lemon since he said this is one of his vids a while back.

Halo has had an outer identity crisis since the beginning, but an inner one since H2.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Frankies a low level ms exec. To him it is the same.

4mil seems like a concrete number, physical+digital+1mil copies on shelf's around the world. I think h5 is in a great place consider 4 and mcc commiting brand assassination, Xbox one doing MEH and the unfinished game they shipped to us.

I've mentioned this before, but I think it's worth mentioning again: the Xbox One is not really doing all that "meh" compared to the 360 at this point in its respective lifespan, despite the reputation and PS4 selling about twice as fast. H3 was dealing with a smaller install base at its launch and was far healthier for years.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ya last I heard the xb1 was outselling the 360 at the same point in their respective lifecycle.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Posts get deleted here wtf? Didn't notice, my reply to your post disappeared too.

I wonder what the attach rate was for hce and h2.

Like 80-90%?

Divide game sales by total xboxes sold.

Halo 1 was 7/20 and halo 2 was 8/20. So 35 and 40%. For a brand new IP to drive sales of a console like that is nearly unprecedented.

I don't normally post here, only lurk when there is a bunch of commotion going on / new update drops. So Hello 

---

I thought I'd show everyone here some stats that I've been pulling from around the place.

I'm basing this off what Frankie said on NeoGAF to be sold copies (although clarification of whether it's sold or shipped would be superb). There he said ~5 Million at 3 months, with an emphasis on the tilde (~), that could mean 4.5 - 5.5M sold.

The Xbox One has sold 20 Million units worldwide. If H5 has sold exactly 5 Million by January, that means Halo 5 has an attach rate of 25%. Now here is some speculation, if Halo 5 continued on the trend and now has sold 6-7 Million - providing the Xbox One hasn't sold anymore units - that would put it at a 30-35% attach rate. So granted there are more units, that % will be lower. 

---

Let's take a look at the previous Halo titles. (Note I don't have the initial sales numbers, so I'm basing Halo CE and 2 off of total sales).

The original Xbox sold 24M units.

Halo CE sold a total of 5.5M copies in total. That gives it a 23% attach rate.

Halo 2 sold 8.46M copies in total. That gives it a 35% attach rate.

---

The Xbox 360 sold 17.7M units by the end of 2007.

Halo 3 sold 8.1M copies by the end of 2007. That gave it a 46% attach rate. What's interesting to note is that there were less 360 units at the end of 2007 than there are X1 units at the end of 2015, but there are also more copies of Halo 3 sold than there were copies of Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Posts get deleted here wtf? Didn't notice, my reply to your post disappeared too.

Yeah I've had my posts mysteriously dissappear after something in the thread went down its a normal thing I guess, but still I don't like it happening.

Sio I've started playing again and last night like two games in I started lagging and being DCed hardcore. Is this normal?

Sio I've started playing again and last night like two games in I started lagging and being DCed hardcore. Is this normal?

Yup. Welcome back.

Any destiny fans here? I really wanna give it a shot this summer because my Internet tends to be crappy where I'm going.

Would that mean the game would still lag even if I'm doing solo content?

Any destiny fans here? I really wanna give it a shot this summer because my Internet tends to be crappy where I'm going.

Would that mean the game would still lag even if I'm doing solo content?

Destiny lost me at the beta. Coming from WoW, it was like a poor mans mmo with guns. I've heard it's gotten better though, but it's been a long time coming. 

Divide game sales by total xboxes sold.

Halo 1 was 7/20 and halo 2 was 8/20. So 35 and 40%. For a brand new IP to drive sales of a console like that is nearly unprecedented.

Ya but that's total sales vs final console figures.

I mean like a few months after hce launched. Hce probably sold like 2-4 mil and there were only like 5 mil xboxs sold at the time.

Ya but that's total sales vs final console figures.

I mean like a few months after hce launched. Hce probably sold like 2-4 mil and there were only like 5 mil xboxs sold at the time.

Halo CE sold 1 mil in 5 months, and the Xbox sold 1.53 mil in 3 months. So probably pretty close to 50%.

Potentially, not exactly sure though.

Not saying 5 million is not accurate. That's fairly reasonable for a Halo game to be honest; no matter the title. My only issue rest in the fact that the person who tweeted this equates shipped = sold, which is 100% not the case. Fairly reasonable to believe they sold over 5 million. I'd actually be willing to bet they sold more than that to be honest.

Now Halo 5's player retention rate is another story but I won't go into that.

I agree with you. Digital has majority sales for sure. If Frank is accurate in the unique player total. Its not doing too bad

Played a few matches this evening and forced myself to use the autos: SMG and AR. I remember someone posted a few days ago about Sirlin's play to win philosophy and that if you dub something "cheap", you're basically in a scrub mentality.

I've read Sirlin's stuff and I agree with a majority of it, but personally, I can't stand to take advantage of a game's mechanics or glitches in order to compete to win a game. I find it unethical and downright against the core of competitive play in the first place.

I was playing slayer on Empire earlier and I thought I'd grab the SMG right off spawn...and I ended up getting a triple kill from it. Then I continued to use it in the shotgun area...again...just getting easy clean up kills and some from fullshield to death. I thought...is this really how I'm supposed to be playing this game? Taking advantage of this skill-less garbage? Like...how is that remotely fun? You aim a big ass circle on someone and hold the trigger down spraying them till they die. That to me in boring as hell and it most certainly isn't proving any form of shooting skill other than I'm in a mental state of knowing if I have the SMG, I can wreck havoc on the opposition.

So going back to what Sirlin would say in that situation, he would probably call me a scrub for complaining about the SMG because technically it's there in the game ready for me to use...and by choosing not to use it, I'm technically not playing to win the game.

I just have to disagree with that. I think that in a shooting game, the primary core function of a shooter is the actual shooting part, the physical part of one using their thumbs (mouse for PC) on the controller to aim a crosshair on an opponent and try to kill them. There has to be some sort of challenging aspect to the shooting...and not just a case of knowing which weapon to use depending on what range you're in...it needs to go beyond that in regards to the skill required.

I think autos have their place in Halo...but i think back in Halo CE how the AR was deadly at close range...but beyond that, it was merely a defensive weapon to try to deal some quick damage and evade, or it became a sidearm to the pistol...so when you ran out of bullets in the pistol, you'd switch to the AR in hopes of cleaning the kill up or getting away if you're hurt.

There's elements of gameplay in Halo 5 that I absolutely love but then there's this close to mid range game element that I absolutely despise because of the strength of the autos. I get why it's there, but I complete disagree with it being so dominant.

The reason the autos are there are obviously for low tier players that don't have good aiming skill on a controller, so the full auto weapons allow them to achieve some sort of fun factor without having to be good at aiming.

To me...that's bad game design overall.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Played a few matches this evening and forced myself to use the autos: SMG and AR. I remember someone posted a few days ago about Sirlin's play to win philosophy and that if you dub something "cheap", you're basically in a scrub mentality.

I've read Sirlin's stuff and I agree with a majority of it, but personally, I can't stand to take advantage of a game's mechanics or glitches in order to compete to win a game. I find it unethical and downright against the core of competitive play in the first place.

I was playing slayer on Empire earlier and I thought I'd grab the SMG right off spawn...and I ended up getting a triple kill from it. Then I continued to use it in the shotgun area...again...just getting easy clean up kills and some from fullshield to death. I thought...is this really how I'm supposed to be playing this game? Taking advantage of this skill-less garbage? Like...how is that remotely fun? You aim a big ass circle on someone and hold the trigger down spraying them till they die. That to me in boring as hell and it most certainly isn't proving any form of shooting skill other than I'm in a mental state of knowing if I have the SMG, I can wreck havoc on the opposition.

So going back to what Sirlin would say in that situation, he would probably call me a scrub for complaining about the SMG because technically it's there in the game ready for me to use...and by choosing not to use it, I'm technically not playing to win the game.

I just have to disagree with that. I think that in a shooting game, the primary core function of a shooter is the actual shooting part, the physical part of one using their thumbs (mouse for PC) on the controller to aim a crosshair on an opponent and try to kill them. There has to be some sort of challenging aspect to the shooting...and not just a case of knowing which weapon to use depending on what range you're in...it needs to go beyond that in regards to the skill required.

I think autos have their place in Halo...but i think back in Halo CE how the AR was deadly at close range...but beyond that, it was merely a defensive weapon to try to deal some quick damage and evade, or it became a sidearm to the pistol...so when you ran out of bullets in the pistol, you'd switch to the AR in hopes of cleaning the kill up or getting away if you're hurt.

There's elements of gameplay in Halo 5 that I absolutely love but then there's this close to mid range game element that I absolutely despise because of the strength of the autos. I get why it's there, but I complete disagree with it being so dominant.

The reason the autos are there are obviously for low tier players that don't have good aiming skill on a controller, so the full auto weapons allow them to achieve some sort of fun factor without having to be good at aiming.

To me...that's bad game design overall.

The point is that the Autos being grossly overpowered isn't your fault. If you're competing (i.e. Playing the Game), then you should be using the most effective tools at your disposal. That doesn't make the game better or more competitive, it just means you're being effective within the confines of the game. Personally, I just choose not to play those types of games, which is why I stop playing modern Halo games after about a month.

• Upvote (+1) 3