CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Are any of those games RNG, though? 

And I'm pretty sure the majority of the economy in CS:GO involves users buying and selling among themselves.

Yes a lot of these systems can have exclusively or non exclusively random paid content. Very successful system in League is gifting your friends random champions or skins, it's become very popular due to it's very low price and possibility at anything, good way for players to just waste money. Hearthstone also has a similar system where you can buy packs which will included any random cards similar to REQ (in fact I'd say REQ copied this). 

Granted these are in free to play games, so it really depends on how Halo 5 will be sold. Also with regards to CS:GO, the skins are attained randomly through drops. They can range 2-8 a week, but you do have the options to sell them later similar to what you linked. Same can be said about Overwatch with random loot boxes.

Either way the Halo 5 micro transaction is actually the most garbage I have ever seen, and I play a lot of micro transaction games. It's a success on console (which is a wonder), but really they could have done it much better. Overwatch imo has an amazing system. Similar to REQ where you can buy loot boxes, 2 boxes are $2, 50 $40, they drop significantly more interesting items, (yay another orange scout hog I'll never use!!!). 

What does he have to gain by lying?  I just don't see it ... lying about pop numbers isn't going to magically make the game do better.  Why would you assume that the XBL most played list is more accurate than 343's internal numbers?

Why does Frankie or anyone from 343 lie about anything, ever?

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just spent a good time on r/halo arguing with a guy for the removal of sprint. His reasoning for it is "because I got bored of old Halo", "I wanted something new", "I want to feel like a super soldier" and the creme de la creme, "Sprint also allows balance for shoulder charge and slide, without that build up (with no shooting allowed) those awesome mechanics would be easily imba. I'm hoping H6 will have more default armor abilities because that route seems like the best solution to adding new mechanics.".

What a place, both love it and hate it.

The biggest issue is you chose a non gamer to play a FPS. Their biggest challenge will be getting used to using analogue sticks in a shooter, not worrying about mobility.

Grab any body who's played shooters before. They've never had an issue understanding the basics. Especially if they played AW, which introduced thrusts using the stick.

I have a friend who only plays COD as his shooting experience. Halo 5 was easier for him to understand than previous Halo's. Number of "how do I sprint" "I don't like aiming with stick" and all that. Halo 5 has aiming with trigger option and mechanics any body who's played new shooters can understand (thrusts, slides). Only thing new is ground pound.

Ya right lol.

Unless it's a 60 year old man the person will be able to pick twin sticks. Picking up sprint, thrust, ground pound. The fact that every time they jump they just also clamber. Most jumps need a sprint, thrust and clamber. All that kind of extra stuff.

Plus comparing h5 to other halos. What kind of arguement could you possibly make that says other halo's have a higher skill floor?

What does he have to gain by lying?  I just don't see it ... lying about pop numbers isn't going to magically make the game do better.  Why would you assume that the XBL most played list is more accurate than 343's internal numbers?

Really? Most of the things he has told us have been lies. You never know with Frankie or 343i.

How many people of those hundred thousands are playing campaign or customs? Not that they should be valued less, but what is the amount of actual people playing 343-created maps and modes in MM?

Hundred of thousands a day is believable. That still makes for 10-20k concurrent.

H3 pulled 100k+ concurrent and million+ per day.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Plus comparing h5 to other halos. What kind of arguement could you possibly make that says other halo's have a higher skill floor?

Halo CE has a significantly higher skill floor than Halo 5 because of clunky movement, the reliance on external timers, and a few other oddities.

Halo 2 has a higher skill floor than Halo 5 because of button combos.

H5 sits somewhere above Halo 3 and below Halo 2 in terms of skill floor.

• Downvote (-1) 1

HAHA-GIF.gif

• Upvote (+1) 7

Halo CE has a significantly higher skill floor than Halo 5 because of clunky movement, the reliance on external timers, and a few other oddities.

Timers and button combos are not basic elements. Hell I can't do any h2 button combos and I got to like level 25 in MCC hce before I used a weapon timer.

A floor is the very, very bottom. The things you need to know to play the game at the most fundemental level.

The floor of hce consists of walking, aiming, shooting, nade, melee, switch weapons, pick up a weapon, and knowing that walking over a power up gives you a power.

Oh and that you have a mother fucking flashlight.

• Upvote (+1) 5

On halo5arena, is the "top x %" for all players ranked in arena? Right now I'm diamond 4 and I'm top 9%, and in a previous season I was onyx 1607 and top 3%...that seems incredibly low. Is a diamond 4 really the top 9%? I figured it'd be top 15-20% max

Timers and button combos are not basic elements. Hell I can't do any h2 button combos and I got to like level 25 in MCC hce before I used a weapon timer.

A floor is the very, very bottom. The things you need to know to play the game at the most fundemental level.

The floor of hce consists of walking, aiming, shooting, nade, melee, switch weapons, pick up a weapon, and knowing that walking over a power up gives you a power.

A skill floor isn't the bare essential knowledge you need to know to play the game, it's the amount of skill needed to be "average".

Why does Frankie or anyone from 343 lie about anything, ever?

So I'm guessing you have proof/examples?

Hundred of thousands a day is believable. That still makes for 10-20k concurrent.

H3 pulled 100k+ concurrent and million+ per day.

this ... 10k-20k concurrent is absolutely believeable, though, now that I think about it, that's like H4 numbers?  I remember there being around 20k players in all H4 playlists a few months after release

edit: yeah, looks like a daily peak of around 40k-50k concurrent (so 10k-20k concurrent on average) for H4 a few months after release

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697

This would also indicate that XBL most played numbers are roughly correct (judging by the games with pop counters that were close in rank to H5)

So in short, Frankie wasn't lying AND the numbers aren't that great?  H4-level population?  Though on waaaaaaay fewer systems (XB1 has not sold as well as X360 had sold at the end of its lifecycle)

A skill floor isn't the bare essential knowledge you need to know to play the game, it's the amount of skill needed to be "average".

Lol, how does that makes any sense?

Why would floor equate to average?

I don't know what kinds of buildings you find yourself in but around my neck of the woods the floor does not appear at the mid level.

" the amount of things a player needs to know about and be able to do inorder to play the game on a basic level." That's my definition of skill floor.

I will never forget my teammates in MCC turning on the flashlights because "it was too dark" in rat trap.

is it just me or is Torque not as bright now?  the annoying glare seems to be gone

Yup the second he said unique players I was like, if the unique users peak is like what reach had in concurrent players at its peak hours, there's a problem.

Lol, how does that makes any sense?

Why would floor equate to average?

I don't know what kinds of buildings you find yourself in but around my neck of the woods the floor does not appear at the mid level.

" the amount of things a player needs to know about and be able to do inorder to play the game on a basic level." That's my definition of skill floor.

Let's look at League of Legends. At its most basic, you have movement, abilities, and items. Right click, QWERDF, shop time.

If all you do is right-click a spot, mechanically repeat your basic ability combos, and buy recommended items, you'll beat bots, but you won't get anywhere past that. There are certain higher-level skills you have to know to play at an acceptable level against players.

Movement: Dodging skillshots. Walking in straight lines will get you killed.

Abilities: Conserving skills. Spamming your combo instantly will put you on cooldown. Sometimes it's better to back up and save up for another combo.

Items: Adapt builds. The cookie-cutter build won't always cut it. Sometimes you have to change your build path or adjust what you buy first.

If you don't have these three skills, you won't survive random que, let alone ranked play. When people talk about League of Legend's skill floor, they don't use Bronze and/or pre-30 players as the baseline. They use Silver and Gold players.

In CS:GO and DotA, the skill floor isn't dictated by little Timmy two hours, it's dictated by someone who's played the game enough that they understand the basics of it and can win against other "average" players.

If you use bottom-tier players as the skill floor, you're judging the skill gap based on the skill ceiling alone and completely ignoring the fact that "normal" players will completely stomp "skill floor" players.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I will never forget my teammates in MCC turning on the flashlights because "it was too dark" in rat trap.

LOL

Are you talking about mlg/arena settings or default settings when you say this?

is it just me or is Torque not as bright now?  the annoying glare seems to be gone

They added a filter to the map a while ago.

Are you talking about mlg/arena settings or default settings when you say this?

Social BR starts, AKA the settings that most players played.

Halo 3 has the opposite problem that Halo 2 does. Its skill floor is low, but its skill ceiling is fucked because of random spread and other H3 problems. MLG settings helped the skill ceiling, but did little for the skill floor.