CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So last night I was playing on my alt for a bit. Encountered some weird shit.

Consistently kept matching golds, no one above until my last match which were platinums. However, these guys had those GT's you'd expect of an alt and were consistently predicting spawns, blocking them, and making very high level plays. Most of them gold 1 or 2.

Ended up ranking gold 4 when it was all said and done. I'm confused, because i had closer matches here then on my main account which has consistently placed diamond since launch.

I understand background MMR, but is it possible certain accounts are biased towards certain ranks? Very confused.

Here's my speculation based on what I've seen:

The mm system takes into account matches/time played on an account.

It will always default a new account to land somewhere within Bronze-Plat as a safeguard to new players picking up Halo 5 (note: this wasn't as severe at launch).

Thus, new account that could be playing onyx's will still rank down in plat because the system doesn't want to place them too high off of a "new" account.

Coincidently, this is what also exacerbates the boosting problem. You can make a new account and play with your team of onyxs for 10 matches. Once you place Plat, the avg csr drops and now you start to match diamond or lower players to compensate.

If anyone has been paying attention to Reddit, Halo 5 has made it to the frontpage for 3 nights in a row, 2 of them getting the #1 spot on Reddit.

Any redditors, please carry on this trend, it helps Halo grow. I've seen all of the comments like "Ive seen Halo 5 a lot recently, should I get it?"

This sort of trend is what makes game popular.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And this is precisely why I say that people are taking video games too seriously. You're talking about a video game in terms of "punishment" for people who have spotty connections. When I was kid, my parents house had a connection that disconnected me from the Internet when they got a phone call, and I was also frequently disconnected by storms. When I was going to school at one point I shared a house with 5 people and the Internet was constantly spotty.

Then there are tons of people who live in shitty areas who have terrible connections and frequently lag out. What you're saying is that after they saved their lunch money or whatever to get a new console and halo 5 and then getting quitbanned repeatedly because they have a trash connection they should just suck it up and take the quitban (even if it's an FFA). If I had been getting quitbanned all the time when I was a kid because of my connection I probably would have quit playing halo for good; by the way, this is probably a reason for population drops in recent halo games

You said you quit 3v4 games.... Quit bans discourage 3v4s from happening in the first place.

If kids were lagging out of most games I would quit playing the game. It ruins the experience by your own admission otherwise you wouldn't quit out.

Continuing the ranks talk....it seems like Platinum really is more of a wasteland than Diamond. I was diamond most of last month, but lagged out of 2 placement matches this month so I got stuck at Plat 1 right away. It has been so much harder to rank up solo in platinum than it was in diamond last season. It's like the wild west. 

You said you quit 3v4 games.... Quit bans discourage 3v4s from happening in the first place.

If kids were lagging out of most games I would quit playing the game. It ruins the experience by your own admission otherwise you wouldn't quit out.

1. Quitbans don't discourage disconnecting as that is an issue unrelated to a player's choice

2. Are we talking about "lagging out of most games" or are we talking about twice every TWENTY games as you mentioned on the previous page? I've seen a couple of users on this website talking about how their connection will boot them about that often. Are you really saying that people who lag out of an average of 10% of games (keep in mind this can be when your team is up 49-15 in slayer and the outcome is virtually certain) should regularly be quitbanned?

1. Quitbans don't discourage disconnecting as that is an issue unrelated to a player's choice

2. Are we talking about "lagging out of most games" or are we talking about twice every TWENTY games as you mentioned on the previous page? I've seen a couple of users on this website talking about how their connection will boot them about that often. Are you really saying that people who lag out of an average of 10% of games (keep in mind this can be when your team is up 49-15 in slayer and the outcome is virtually certain) should regularly be quitbanned?

Nope, I already told you halo 5 is shit. I'm saying for a game with decent servers and ranked playlists and a quit ban system that isn't broken.

Social lists I couldn't give a shit.

And quitbans will discourage people from playing in those playlists if their connection is shit.

Halo should do the rocket league approach if someone quits from a social playlist. Replace them with a competent AI.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo should do the rocket league approach if someone quits from a social playlist. Replace them with a competent AI.

Well, idk about that.

Social should have jip and no quit penalties though.

And seperate stats.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think the biggest problem with that is that it would require competent AI.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Easier said than done my friend. There's a ton of complexity and nuance in Halo multiplayer, and as someone who I feel has at least a baseline understanding of how AI generally works in Halo, it would require a ton of scripting, lots of possible behaviors, testing, and genuine innovation to produce realistic AI for Halo, and much of it would have to be done on a per map basis.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think the biggest problem with that is that it would require competent AI.

I'll take Perfect Dark 64's DarkSims any day over some of the Diamonds I get on my team.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Found this on Reddit. Very interesting. Google data on number of searches of Halo.

utwvK3WmmU9ydDCkIz0J4xhY_7v3WWhGy3ftNtRu

Although you cannot really take that much from this, this is very specific and doesn't really give the whole picture. But worth noting. 

I'll take Perfect Dark 64's DarkSims any day over some of the Diamonds I get on my team.

Perfect dark Dark Sims would 13-0 CLG.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Found this on Reddit. Very interesting. Google data on number of searches of Halo.

Although you cannot really take that much from this, this is very specific and doesn't really give the whole picture. But worth noting. 

Man, literally nothing for MCC.

Obviously the peaks are much lower now (MUCH MUCH LOWER WOW), but it's interesting that the "baseline" number of searches hasn't gone down THAT much in comparison to the peaks. Not sure what to glean from that, but it is an observation nonetheless. 

I think the drop between Halo 3 and Reach is what interests me the most. What sort of bad game, or reputation was there between that time frame to affect the interest and Halo. Especially being the last Halo game from Bungie. Has just above half (?) the interest of Halo 2 and Halo 3.

I guess this comes to show the popularity of COD and other shoots really affected the interest in Halo. Either way it was gonna go downhill from there.

Obviously the peaks are much lower now (MUCH MUCH LOWER WOW), but it's interesting that the "baseline" number of searches hasn't gone down THAT much in comparison to the peaks. Not sure what to glean from that, but it is an observation nonetheless.

General interest in halo has hardly dropped. The games are just shitty disappointments.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the drop between Halo 3 and Reach is what interests me the most. What sort of bad game, or reputation was there between that time frame to affect the interest and Halo. Especially being the last Halo game from Bungie. Has just above half (?) the interest of Halo 2 and Halo 3.

I guess this comes to show the popularity of COD and other shoots really affected the interest in Halo. Either way it was gonna go downhill from there.

Uh, what? Between h3 and reach is where we see the biggest peaks that are not from a game launching.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Uh, what? Between h3 and reach is where we see the biggest peaks that are not from a game launching.

The general searches for Halo during Halo 2 and 3 are almost double that of searches of Halo during Reach (talking specifically about the peaks).

In-between we also get ODST, so that has to be accounted. But strictly in the last September 2010 area.

Graph

Did the graph provide the y axis metric? Like 10k, 20k, 100k, or 200k searches??

'Competent' being the worrying word.

The general searches for Halo during Halo 2 and 3 are almost double that of searches of Halo during Reach (talking specifically about the peaks).

In-between we also get ODST, so that has to be accounted. But strictly in the last September 2010 area.

You're attributing a peak drop from reach to COD?

Lol

How about the fact that the game was terrible and not a numbered addition.

This chart shows searches of halo at its highest non game launch point leading into the reach launch. From there it was downhill. No shit. From there we got reach, h4 and the MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're attributing a peak drop from reach to COD?

Lol

How about the fact that the game was terrible and not a numbered addition.

This chart shows searches of halo at its highest non game launch point leading into the reach launch. From there it was downhill. No shit. From there we got reach, h4 and the MCC.

A lot of people loved Reach, this isn't necessarily a Halo 4 vs Halo 3 comparison. Reach was my favourite too. 

Also it got great reviews and had some amazing features with it. It's the most complete Halo game to date. Yes it was not numbered, but the fact that it was known to be Bungies last Halo game had to definitely counter act that. 

The popularity of Mw1 and Mw2 definitely affected the Halo series, and you'd be blind to not see that. Add to that the greater number of shooters we are starting to get (more saturated market).

I can get the drop between Halo 4 to Halo 5. But Bungies track record at the point of Halo 3 was on point, ODST was great, what reason is there for Reach to be at almost half interest if not for the increase in COD popularity?

Game was certainly NOT terrible.