CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So when the H5 PC stuff is released, is it all going to break when someone with a low end PC tries to run it and it falls below 60fps?

I don't know all of the details, but from what I understand from other people explaining it and experiencing it myself on some games, it'll probably just slow the ingame timer and fuck up some sounds.

So when the H5 PC stuff is released, is it all going to break when someone with a low end PC tries to run it and it falls below 60fps?

Did they confirm you could run at a higher framerate?

Again, I'm not saying it was some evil scheme, but they definitely considered the offset of people who would get pissed enough not to buy it vs people who will buy another copy and console in order to play co op into their decision. If split screen resulted in lost revenue then they would invest the money into keeping it. It's simple financial analysis. And it is likely that more revenue was gained out of cutting split screen. Microsoft cares about the bottom line and doing the bare minimum to earn profit as evidenced by their other practices in the software space.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Did they confirm you could run at a higher framerate?

Not sure if they've said anything regarding PC settings to be honest. But the standard for PC releases is to allow varied framerates.

Again, I'm not saying it was some evil scheme, but they definitely considered the offset of people who would get pissed enough not to buy it vs people who will buy another copy and console in order to play co op into their decision. If split screen resulted in lost revenue then they would invest the money into keeping it. It's simple financial analysis. And it is likely that more revenue was gained out of cutting split screen. Microsoft cares about the bottom line and doing the bare minimum to earn profit as evidenced by their other practices in the software space.

I do think it would be make them more money to include it. It would've boosted Halo 5's review scores for sure. Most juggernaut franchises on console have had some form of local multiplayer.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why are you just making up a different argument now? I don't care about what will be offset and what resources they have, that has nothing to do with what I was debating. You just realised that the point you were originally arguing was so ridiculous that now you're moving goalposts with a different argument "to save resources".

That has ZERO relevance to what I was talking about and what you replied to. I said the statement "MS cut split screen to sell more Xbox's" because they cannot play together has to be the most numbingly, stupid, and ridiculous conspiracy tin foil theory I have ever heard. Really... What the fuck kind of business plan is that.

Like I said before, lets raise some serious valid points if we're gonna criticise something. Split screen was cut because they didn't want to take risks and to save resources. Sure.

Splitscren was NOT cut for MS to sell more Xbox's. What a waste of my time if you're gonna argue one point with me and last second change it to a different reason, and no self respecting reviewer should EVER raise that as a point if he's trying to make the claim he is making an objective fair review.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I said the statement "MS cut split screen to sell more Xbox's" because they cannot play together has to be the most numbingly, stupid, and ridiculous conspiracy tin foil theory I have ever heard. 

Regardless of whether or not it was the true intention, the fact that you think this is a ridiculous, inconceivable concept is...well, adorable. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Regardless of whether or not it was the true intention, the fact that you think this is a ridiculous, inconceivable concept is...well, adorable. 

It's inconceivable because of how much of a horrible business plan it is. 

Almost like saying MS purposely gimped MCC at launch so more people would have to buy xbox's so they can LAN up together instead of going through matchmaking.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Almost like saying MS purposely gimped MCC at launch so more people would have to buy xbox's so they can LAN up together instead of going through matchmaking.

Well, LAN has also been removed from the xbox one

I'll let you guess why :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 6

The reason why splitscreen got removed is because Xbone couldn't handle 60fps and splitscreen

at the same time. You could argue 343 dropped the ball hard when it comes to H5's engine, but

it's too late to do something about it now

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's only about as ridiculous of a concept as the idea that MS rushed MCC out the door knowing they could never make it work properly, but knowing that it would move consoles. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

It's only about as ridiculous of a concept as the idea that MS rushed MCC out the door knowing they could never make it work properly, but knowing that it would move consoles. 

Because that is actually something that would happen? Honestly I probably would have bought MCC knowing it was broken at launch, and I did, just played campaign.

Who the fuck would buy 6 xbox's just so they can play together with friends? 

Because that is actually something that would happen? Honestly I probably would have bought MCC knowing it was broken at launch, and I did, just played campaign.

Who the fuck would buy 6 xbox's just so they can play together with friends? 

You also have to keep in mind that video game developers/publishers/housing companies are always trying things. Testing the waters, seeing what they can get away with. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I can't remember the last time my friends and I sat down on the couch and played co-op campaign or multiplayer with split-screen. Sucks it happened, but it's a dying feature.

Xbox Live is my virtual couch.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Do you guys usually play your 10 placement matches as soon as you can after ranks reset? Or do you wait a couple days to let things settle? I've done it both ways before, and I can't really tell if one or the other is a better way to get ranked. I like the theory behind waiting a little bit to let the high volume players grind up to their true ranks, but I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference. 

I can't remember the last time my friends and I sat down on the couch and played co-op campaign or multiplayer with split-screen. Sucks it happened, but it's a dying feature.

Xbox Live is my virtual couch.

Worth noting both the PS4 and Xbox One have very little games that support split-screen.

You also have to keep in mind that video game developers/publishers/housing companies are always trying things. Testing the waters, seeing what they can get away with. 

Listen dude, if I can't explain to you why theres a difference in cutting something in the hopes of making someone buy something worth $400 then theres no point. Selling games broken, micro-transactions, XBL Idk whatever you think is they're trying sell to make an extra buck, existents only because of its inherent price difference. Micro transactions aren't $400.

At the end of the day, I am here on beyond for some great, reasoned and sensible discussion. I came here backing Sprint fully, liking the game at launch and all that, and I've been exposed to some really fantastic discussion and seeing logical points being raised in terms of critique. My opinions have changed a lot, and this is honestly the best community for Halo in terms making valid points and trying to help improve the game.

I most certainly did not come to Beyond to have discussions about non-sensical conspiracy theories, false reagan style business strategies, and none useful critiques/consistent flaming and bashing.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Listen dude, if I can't explain to you why theres a difference in cutting something in the hopes of making someone buy something worth $400 then theres no point. Selling games broken, micro-transactions, XBL Idk whatever you think is they're trying sell to make an extra buck, existents only because of its inherent price difference. Micro transactions aren't $400.

At the end of the day, I am here on beyond for some great, reasoned and sensible discussion. I came here backing Sprint fully, liking the game at launch and all that, and I've been exposed to some really fantastic discussion and seeing logical points being raised in terms of critique. My opinions have changed a lot, and this is honestly the best community for Halo in terms making valid points and trying to help improve the game.

I most certainly did not come to Beyond to have discussions about non-sensical conspiracy theories, false reagan style business strategies, and none useful critiques/consistent flaming and bashing.

It's honestly not that far fetched of a theory.. after all, the point of a business is to make money. Not to mention I've seen way worse business practices in the gaming industry.

And just because someone doesn't "personally use split-screen" anymore does NOT equal it's dying.

Imagine if I flipped that argument saying: "well now that I'm in college, the majority of gamers who live on campus only play games that support local multiplayer. Since more people in my surrounding area utilize split-screen, it's popularity has actually gone up."

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's honestly not that far fetched of a theory.. after all, the point of a business is to make money. Not to mention I've seen way worse business practices in the gaming industry.

And just because someone doesn't "personally use split-screen" anymore does NOT equal it's dying.

Imagine if I flipped that argument saying: "well now that I'm in college, the majority of gamers who live on campus only play games that support local multiplayer. Since more people in my surrounding area utilize split-screen, it's popularity has actually gone up."

Business make money right? Why not have Halo 5 on PC? Why not on PS4? Why not cut MCC split screen? Why does COD not cut split screen to sell more consoles? Does all non split screen games have it cut so people buy an extra console? Why not sell DLC in H5?

I'm not sure who taught MS business strategies if thats true, Reagan or John Sculley? Paging bad economics, it's not sensical at all. 

People will NOT buy extra $400 "accessories" just because they cannot split screen. Well not any useful number of people to greatly affect the development of the game.

The notion that they would possibly think that cutting split-screen would move consoles to people who wanted split-screen would require a level of absolute incompetency that even I would struggle to ascribe to anyone at MS or 343. It's such a blatantly idiotic idea that obviously would not work. It's vastly more likely that the cost of getting it working outweighed the projected lost sales from its absence and money-makers like the REQ system took priority.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The notion that they would possibly think that cutting split-screen would move consoles to people who wanted split-screen would require a level of absolute incompetency that even I would struggle to ascribe to anyone at MS or 343. It's such a blatantly idiotic idea that obviously would not work. It's vastly more likely that the cost of getting it working outweighed the projected lost sales from its absence and money-makers like the REQ system took priority.

I agree.  I do not think that was the reason at all. 

I personally think it is simply that they are a bunch of incompetent coders trying to inefficiently push the boundaries of an already prehistoric hardware base and they could not get split screen running smoothly.    Simple as that.   The game looks like dog shit with a single screen already.  Imagine how bad it would look in split screen regardless the fact that the Xbox One couldn't handle it. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Business make money right? Why not have Halo 5 on PC? Why not on PS4? Why not cut MCC split screen? Why does COD not cut split screen to sell more consoles? Does all non split screen games have it cut so people buy an extra console? Why not sell DLC in H5?

I'm not sure who taught MS business strategies if thats true, Reagan or John Sculley? Paging bad economics, it's not sensical at all.

People will NOT buy extra $400 "accessories" just because they cannot split screen. Well not any useful number of people to greatly affect the development of the game.

Why would Activision care about selling more xboxes?

Halo 5 is exclusive in order to sell xboxes.

MCC already had split screen functionality from the base code in the games. Cutting it would have been indefensible. With halo 5 343 had convenient excuses and not as many people cared or gave 343 the benefit of the doubt.

Also it's doubtful many people bought an extra console to play halo 5 alone but it would definitely factor in to some people's decision. For many halo fans that shared a console in the past (brothers, roommates) it would be a huge bummer to have to take turns and be unable to play together at all.

• Upvote (+1) 2