CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Next months update!

Looks awesome, cannot wait! 

H1TsMCp.jpg

Me seeing a sticky det instead of a grenade launcher triggers me so hard

• Upvote (+1) 8

I know damn well Cortana still being alive was not the plan they had in mind. She was officially confirmed dead a handful of times. Her sacrifice and final moment with Chief was beautifully concluded.

But nah man, we n33d moar l0ve story for ChiefZ!!1 screw da pl0t.

Halo 5's campaign was soo bad, it ruined the one redeeming quality Halo 4 had. Everything about Halo 4 was made completely pointless in less than 20 minutes of gametime in Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I wonder if Frankie ever reads the things he's said and thinks wow, what was I thinking.

We're talking about the same guy who popped into a Waypoint thread and made a few posts which were mostly banter with a moderator about pizza chains. Once the real questions came in, he disappeared to never be found again.

If he's looking back, he's only thinking about how 'edgy' he was.

Halo 5's campaign was soo bad, it ruined the one redeeming quality Halo 4 had. Everything about Halo 4 was made completely pointless in less than 20 minutes of gametime in Halo 5.

Some of it was expanded on in the Escalation comics, but it was pretty bad too. They were mostly written by Brian Reed as well so that explains it. Black team got killed like cannon fodder and the Didact was composed. That would have made a  better story for the game than what we got as it would not have retconned Cortana's death.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

I don't really buy anything Frankie says anymore.

Especially when, after Halo 5 released, he went on to explain that Cortana being the antagonist for the Reclaimer Saga was totally planned the whole time (even though back before Halo 4 released, the Didact was said to be the long-standing antagonist), and dismissed all the criticism that the campaign received as coming from stupid children who could not understand his brilliant subtlety.

http://time.com/4090404/halo-5-frank-oconnor/

....Darth Vader isn't even 100% evil he fucking redeems himself.

JFC Frankie

....Darth Vader isn't even 100% evil he fucking redeems himself.

JFC Frankie

invokes vader as a truly evil character

Forgets that vader wasn't truly evil

GG frank, GG.

Edit: isn't this also 343 in a nutshell like exactly? Just misunderstand the finer details of everything?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Edit: isn't this also 343 in a nutshell like exactly? Just misunderstand the finer details of everything?

The finer details, and the obvious core concepts, at times.

Probably. I hope they ditch the 4 Spartan idea.

I don't see what the problem was with having multiple MCs running around. Immersion is out the window as soon as you're playing with friends anyway. Creating characters to fill co-op spots is a waste of resources that also dilutes the focus of your story imo.

I like the idea of 4 Spartan team at the command of the player, the ai just needs to be not shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like the idea of 4 Spartan team at the command of the player, the ai just needs to be not shit.

Literally h2 AI was better, how did this AI dude keep his job?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So I just relistened to HuntTheTruth (both seasons) on my drive back from New York and it just makes me wish SO BADLY that the marketing wasn't so in left field from what we got.

The second half of Season 2 is where things really got uninteresting and of course that's when it even comes close to resembling something in Halo 5.

People mentioning this makes me think of Republic Commando and then that makes me think about how good the squad gameplay was in it.

Literally h2 AI was better, how did this AI dude keep his job?

This is what I wanna know. Not just about 5's AI in particular, but the AI in general. Reach made it evident that the AI was purposely programmed to make poor decisions and to be clunky and slow, and it's only slightly improved since then. But like...why? In Reach it was clearly to balance Noble Team, but in that case why not just use Halo 3's revive system? What good or enjoyment is derived from watching Emile use his shotgun like a sniper rifle? Why is reviving you such a low priority for your Spartan Team? The world may never know.

So I just relistened to HuntTheTruth (both seasons) on my drive back from New York and it just makes me wish SO BADLY that the marketing wasn't so in left field from what we got.

The second half of Season 2 is where things really got uninteresting and of course that's when it even comes close to resembling something in Halo 5.

Yeah, season two was a bit of a let down but season one was the best Halo-related lore I've ever listened to.

People mentioning this makes me think of Republic Commando and then that makes me think about how good the squad gameplay was in it.

This is what I wanna know. Not just about 5's AI in particular, but the AI in general. Reach made it evident that the AI was purposely programmed to make poor decisions and to be clunky and slow, and it's only slightly improved since then. But like...why? In Reach it was clearly to balance Noble Team, but in that case why not just use Halo 3's revive system? What good or enjoyment is derived from watching Emile use his shotgun like a sniper rifle? Why is reviving you such a low priority for your Spartan Team? The world may never know.

and then you remember tim longo worked on RC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Doesn't pressing the Help button when you're down make your revival become the priority in Halo 5?

Doesn't pressing the Help button when you're down make your revival become the priority in Halo 5?

Yeah, and they're usually pretty good about it. Some uneven terrain or awkward jumps can get the AI hung up though.

Yes, I think I meant to say misprioritized. Ugh, I don't even know what I was thinking when I wrote that part. When I played through the campaign, my teammates would frequently throw themselves (unnecessarily) into enemy fire when they attempted to revive me, so its certainly not a "low" priority.

and then you remember tim longo worked on RC.

I remember getting excited when they announced someone from Republic Commando was coming in to help create the squad mechanics for H5.

"Cool, so we're getting a cool ass contextual squad ordering system that allows us to set up ambushes, take up sniping positions, set traps and explosives!"

What did we get? Brain dead AI that are barely capable of reviving you, let alone helping you in any meaningful way in combat. Goddammit 343, why can't you copy actual GOOD shit from other franchises. But no, you'd rather spend years nerfing a mechanic that will never belong in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Remember Arena Breakout?

It has extended magazine Pistol and Shotgun starts now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Remember Arena Breakout?

Yeah that sounds like nothing id ever want to play, camp corners, shoot shotgun, gg

Remember Arena Breakout?

Is that a new playlist?

Is that a new playlist?

Nah. It got updated in customs.

No doubt it'll be a weekly one day, though.

Remember Arena Breakout?

Cool. Now when can we just put REQ weapons in real modes?

• Upvote (+1) 2