CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Halo 5's aiming on launch is what made me drop it after 2 months. I've since picked it back up thanks to the ability to un-fuck it all up, and I actually feel good about matches that I lose now, because now I know it's not because a select few thought that the aiming system was okay when it was actually garbage.
Like, just re-use Halo 4's aiming. Or Reach. Or 3. Or, anything else because they worked, and not what Halo 5's trash was. You don't have to purposely make your game difficult to make it competitive-viable. 

I had a Faux-LAN party yesterday, and my friend who had never played Halo 5 until then struggled with aiming, but was able to do pretty well when we switched to MCC and played CE for the rest of the night. (EDIT: He also hadn't played the other Halo titles in a while, so it wasn't a case of being conditioned to the good-style of aiming immediately prior to picking up Halo 5, either.) 

To clarify, I love Halo 5, I think for the most part it's mechanics and game feel are fantastic and 343i should continue with what they're doing. But if Halo 6 has aiming in a similar state of Halo 5 at launch, I'll be pretty disappointed/frustrated/un-enthusiastic about the entire game.

Probably. I hope they ditch the 4 Spartan idea.

Honestly, I don't even think it's the 4 Spartan thing that's the problem so much as it's the EIGHT controllable player characters, 6 of which have never been in a game. Well, and the fact that most of the characterization of all 8 was awful. It honestly doesn't make that much sense for Chief to be wandering around solo and the conceit that made that work in the original trilogy has pretty much run dry. I like playable Blue Team, but it doesn't work when they're all in the background because the writers are fumbling over themselves trying to introduce a shitload of other new characters. Fred, Kelly, and Linda were pretty much just in Halo 5 to be concerned about Chief in cutscenes.

Agree, I liked it in some cases, was nice to have some missions with them. But I wanted to be alone at times, or split up.

Locke as a lone operative, perhaps? Plus plenty of ways to narratively justify splitting up the Blue Team squad without removing the Republic Commando format from campaign entirely.

Honestly, I don't even think it's the 4 Spartan thing that's the problem so much as it's the EIGHT controllable player characters, 6 of which have never been in a game. Well, and the fact that most of the characterization of all 8 was awful. It honestly doesn't make that much sense for Chief to be wandering around solo and the conceit that made that work in the original trilogy has pretty much run dry. I like playable Blue Team, but it doesn't work when they're all in the background because the writers are fumbling over themselves trying to introduce a shitload of other new characters. Fred, Kelly, and Linda were pretty much just in Halo 5 to be concerned about Chief in cutscenes.

Locke as a lone operative, perhaps? Plus plenty of ways to narratively justify splitting up the Blue Team squad without removing the Republic Commando format from campaign entirely.

I wouldn't call the characterization awful, just non-existent. Spartans Ops Palmer in Halo 4 is awful characterization. Her dialogue is obnoxious, un-witty, and adds nothing but irritation to a bland and repetetive game-mode. She was fine in the main campaign of 4, and got better in 5. Not great in Halo 5, but also not awful.

Reach had more characterization than 5 and we only knew those characters a short time before they died. Dunno if that's just cause their situation was shitty, or because they only had so much time, but we need more of that.

When it comes to Halo 6, I think a Mass Effect-style of campaign where you pick out your squad from the likes of Kelly, Fred, Linda, Tanaka, Buck, Vale, The Arbiter, Palmer, or Thorne(?) on any given mission while you switch back and forth between Chief and Locke would work great. Might let the players get attached to the characters more if they get to hand pick their squad?

Every FPS games on this planet have better aiming system than halo 5

at this point.

Far Cry Instincts: Predator and Perfect Dark Zero were both worse.  But H5 is still among the worst I've ever played.

Far Cry Instincts: Predator and Perfect Dark Zero were both worse.  But H5 is still among the worst I've ever played.

I've heard if you tune PDZ all the way down it makes it a lot better. The biggest problem with the aiming system is that its just far too fast for the gameplay.

I haven't tested it yet, but I'd like to.

I wouldn't call the characterization awful, just non-existent. Spartans Ops Palmer in Halo 4 is awful characterization. Her dialogue is obnoxious, un-witty, and adds nothing but irritation to a bland and repetetive game-mode. She was fine in the main campaign of 4, and got better in 5. Not great in Halo 5, but also not awful.

Reach had more characterization than 5 and we only knew those characters a short time before they died. Dunno if that's just cause their situation was shitty, or because they only had so much time, but we need more of that.

When it comes to Halo 6, I think a Mass Effect-style of campaign where you pick out your squad from the likes of Kelly, Fred, Linda, Tanaka, Buck, Vale, The Arbiter, Palmer, or Thorne(?) on any given mission while you switch back and forth between Chief and Locke would work great. Might let the players get attached to the characters more if they get to hand pick their squad?

Honestly I still think that there was a huge campaign overhaul like towards the end of the development of the game. Kinda like what happened to Destiny.

Honestly I still think that there was a huge campaign overhaul like towards the end of the development of the game. Kinda like what happened to Destiny.

There absolutely had to be. The plot was a complete curveball compared to where we were heading with Hunt The Truth, trailers, comics, etc. Really fucking sucks.

There clearly was. There's like a couple pieces of concept art that shows Chief fighting man-made robots, and even more with Pancho-Chief, wandering the wastes alone.

There absolutely had to be. The plot was a complete curveball compared to where we were heading with Hunt The Truth, trailers, comics, etc. Really fucking sucks.

There clearly was. There's like a couple pieces of concept art that shows Chief fighting man-made robots, and even more with Pancho-Chief, wandering the wastes alone.

Yea it sucks that there was. Honestly I want to know what caused it. Was it Brian Reed? Or did they realize that there wasn't enough time?

Yea it sucks that there was. Honestly I want to know what caused it. Was it Brian Reed? Or did they realize that there wasn't enough time?

More than likely time restraints. The biggest pointer to this is the lack of Master Chief missions in the campaign.

Maybe someone higher up decided that Halo 5's original story was 3edgy for a mainstream Halo game. According to the concept art depicting the man-made robot, Chief probably would have fought human insurgents on top of the Covenant and Promethean forces.

Considering that the Halo games, at the end of the day, are all about dudes in armor saving humanity from aliens, its possible that Microsoft didn't want its flagship character to be mowing down people in the next installment. Especially when 343 has been fond of putting the Insurrectionists in a more favorable light, something Bungie simply never did.

More than likely time restraints. The biggest pointer to this is the lack of Master Chief missions in the campaign.

There was an interview where Frankie pretty much says that it was planned from the beginning having a bunch of Locke missions to see a "different perspective" on the Chief and learn more about Chief. He also said that with the whole campaign we experienced way more with the chief than with Locke, even though there was only 3 Chief missions. Not exact quotes, but thats what I understood.

So I'm not sure if it was time restraints. Maybe they did have a few more missions in mind, but they were like 'Fuck it, no time.'

There was an interview where Frankie pretty much says that it was planned from the beginning having a bunch of Locke missions to see a "different perspective" on the Chief and learn more about Chief. He also said that with the whole campaign we experienced way more with the chief than with Locke, even though there was only 3 Chief missions. Not exact quotes, but that what I understood.

I don't really buy anything Frankie says anymore.

Especially when, after Halo 5 released, he went on to explain that Cortana being the antagonist for the Reclaimer Saga was totally planned the whole time (even though back before Halo 4 released, the Didact was said to be the long-standing antagonist), and dismissed all the criticism that the campaign received as coming from stupid children who could not understand his brilliant subtlety.

But my hopes for the future of the universe are that we can tell a realistic story. I saw a complaint online, somebody had been reading spoilers, they hadn’t played the game, and they said ‘Why is this character evil?’ And my question back to them is, ‘What makes you say they’re evil?’ Certainly a lot of our younger players are going to struggle with that subtlety, that nuance, because they’re expecting Darth Vader.”

http://time.com/4090404/halo-5-frank-oconnor/

• Upvote (+1) 2

You know. What if E3 2013s Halo trailer is for Halo 6? Master Chief could be clutching Cortanas chip because he knows all the shit thats happening is because of her. And he could be looking for Mendicant Bias and a rouge Guardian so that Bias can control it and have a AI vs AI fight?

@ is the alt of @ confirmed.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I wonder if Frankie ever reads the things he's said and thinks wow, what was I thinking.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't really buy anything Frankie says anymore.

Especially when, after Halo 5 released, he went on to explain that Cortana being the antagonist for the Reclaimer Saga was totally planned the whole time (even though back before Halo 4 released, the Didact was said to be the long-standing antagonist), and dismissed all the criticism that the campaign received as coming from stupid children who could not understand his brilliant subtlety.

http://time.com/4090404/halo-5-frank-oconnor/

The Didact really needs to come back. Shitty comics be damned.

The frankie quote though, I don't know if I see anything wrong with it.

So do I. I might be Savery. Can we get a mod to confirm?

you also might be raven.

Mods.... halp.

So do I. I might be Savery. Can we get a mod to confirm?

you also might be raven.

Mods.... halp.

NavG. Savery. Raven.

Three names.

Three sides to a triangle...

We're a part of the Illuminati

Confirmed.