CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This question has to be posted at least a few times a week. Not that I'm against that. I want an actual answer as much as anyone else.

Unfortunately, it seems like we won't ever get one aside from "you wouldn't use a pistol at close range".

I would think that quote was reductive or a parody if i hadn't seen that exact argument multiple times on this forum :(
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'll add a little more onto Halo 5-related stuff.

It's funny going to forgehub sometimes and reading the different reasons people come up with for re-imagining a classic map 'to fit Halo 5's style of gameplay'. As if changing the map is going to make it play better in Halo 5.

And all they do is make it more like Halo 5's launch maps: Higher ledges, adding more routes, 2x more cover, 2x bigger in overall scale, etc. They just add everything that makes Halo 5's Arena maps play horribly. The exact same map but with added chokepoints, weaker power positions, and awkward breaks in gameplay everywhere.

Most people realize by now that Clamber as a mechanic does no one any sort of good in a gunfight. You can't shoot. Why place ledges of that height in the middle of basic map routes, then? At least make people detour a bit to have to use it, like the elbow jumps to Sniper on Coliseum.

Like, why are we adding more cover as well? Did the fact that you're building it for SA's go completely over your head? You're going so, so much faster around the map and can thrust out of danger at your leisure... Does it not make more sense to decrease cover options? You're also just closing off important sightlines, streamlining automatic usage, and buffing Spartan Charge.

The worst parts of 343's map design philosophy have a really annoying way of spreading.

You mean DMR?

Halo 2 BR.

• Upvote (+1) 8

@@Moa yeah I don't remember too many issues if you solely stuck to campaign tbh. You'd get the odd black screen and scoring didn't work and little shit like that.

If they advertised it as just a campaign collection it would be fine. Although they know nobody was running out to buy Xboxes for that.

I'll add a little more onto Halo 5-related stuff.

It's funny going to forgehub sometimes and reading the different reasons people come up with for re-imagining a classic map 'to fit Halo 5's style of gameplay'. As if changing the map is going to make it play better in Halo 5.

And all they do is make it more like Halo 5's launch maps: Higher ledges, adding more routes, 2x more cover, 2x bigger in overall scale, etc. They just add everything that makes Halo 5's Arena maps play horribly. The exact same map but with added chokepoints, weaker power positions, and awkward breaks in gameplay everywhere.

Most people realize by now that Clamber as a mechanic does no one any sort of good in a gunfight. You can't shoot. Why place ledges of that height in the middle of basic map routes, then? At least make people detour a bit to have to use it, like the elbow jumps to Sniper on Coliseum.

Like, why are we adding more cover as well? Did the fact that you're building it for SA's go completely over your head? You're going so, so much faster around the map and can thrust out of danger at your leisure... Does it not make more sense to decrease cover options? You're also just closing off important sightlines, streamlining automatic usage, and buffing Spartan Charge.

The worst parts of 343's map design philosophy have a really annoying way of spreading.

Halo 2 BR.

Very good observations man. People love putting a million ways to get around any given room.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't even be surprised if he lagged out.

Is there a way to check?

True the servers are that bad, i guess i could check in theater to see if he stopped moving for a second before he left or not? The other way would be to ask him or his teammates lol
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The Hog Wild update is coming this month right? I know its only Reqs this time but I havent heard anything in the last week about it.

I wouldn't even be surprised if he lagged out.

Is there a way to check?

Don't you get banned for lagging out as well?

Don't you get banned for lagging out as well?

I've heard mixed reports.

I've heard mixed reports.

According to a beyond article you can get banned for "excessive disconnects". I assume that means that a disconnect counts as a quit like in other halo games.

Stupid, but I'm opposed to quitbanning anyway.

According to a beyond article you can get banned for "excessive disconnects". I assume that means that a disconnect counts as a quit like in other halo games.

Stupid, but I'm opposed to quitbanning anyway.

Is that one that I wrote last year? 

Is that one that I wrote last year?

Maybe lol are you Rhys weir?

Maybe lol are you Rhys weir?

Yupppp.

I wrote that under what information 343 put out there and I guess what they intended. Although I've heard of people not getting quit bans for lagging out while others do.

To sum up this video, "Video game writers are too pretentious and forget that they're making a video game." Uncharted is fun when you're actually playing the damn game but like every iteration in the series, it suffers from an over-saturation of scripted events. Just like Gone Home, Fire Watch, and other "muh story" games, it's just cringe worthy writers that are appealing to a demographic that likely hasn't read a full book outside of school in the last 5 years so they can get compliments from someone.

Spec Ops: The Line is the best example. Spoiler alert, American marines find out America isn't all that great and we may be the villains. Holy shit, that premise hasn't been beaten to death since Vietnam. But in a medium where Americans are always the great guys who save the day (video games), it looked like it was breaking some barrier. If I play one more video game where everyone says the story makes it worth it, I'm going to drop kick a puppy. Uncharted is in that middle ground. I just want to play games, not be forced to watch an amateur writer's story who couldn't get his book published. I don't mind stories in video games as long as there is a sufficient amount of gameplay, but there are developers that feel that all they need in a video game is a story because you have their fanbase who don't even want to read the back of the game case complimenting them on their writing while telling everyone who is criticizing gameplay that they "just don't understand art."

#MakeVideoGamesGreatAgain

It's funny you post this. I'm near the end of Sunless Sea, aka "Amazing Narrative: The Game". It's slow like a glass of wine over an evening, and for those who see gratification through perseverance. It's also fucking brutal in the way it punishes you for bad decisions . People think Dark Souls is bad for dropping your souls on the ground and sending you back to a flame? How about getting sent back to day 1.

To chime in on the lag out thing, yes, you can get banned. I think I've "quit" out of like 7 or 8 games total in Halo 5 and 5 of those were me just getting randomly booted back to the lobby; then proceeded to get banned.

If you get banned for getting DCed. And you don't play for like 2 months. Do you keep the record of the ban?

Yes lol.

I've gotten a quit ban for disconnecting. Though the ban came after I had already quit once before. It was a 2v4 so I quit, hopped into another game and DC'd at the very end of the game when it showed the winning Spartans.

For those who have heard about the new news of Xbox SCORPIO (similar to PS4k/Neo, but significantly more powerful). For those interested: http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774294/xbox-one-slim-one-two-scorpio

What implications do ya'll think this will have on Halo as a franchise? With news of Halo also releasing games on Windows 10 (main series not confirmed http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox-one-coming-this-year-more-powerf-1778634446),what does this mean for Halo's future as both a competitive e-sports game and as a fun game?

I think this will have huge implications, things like making sure the pro's and players have similar play fields (not one guy playing at different settings than another). Cross-play? Possible. 

Also the effect it will have on graphics? Xbox SCORPIO is said to have around 6 T-flops, I believe thats on par with most of the high end GPU's on the market (GTX 1080 +).

(If this has been discussed already ignore, haven't been up to date on beyond).

So far i can tell, I'm almost done with Consoles (Done with the Xbox brand at least) So i don't give an shit

either way.

For those who have heard about the new news of Xbox SCORPIO (similar to PS4k/Neo, but significantly more powerful). For those interested: http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774294/xbox-one-slim-one-two-scorpio

What implications do ya'll think this will have on Halo as a franchise? With news of Halo also releasing games on Windows 10 (main series not confirmed http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox-one-coming-this-year-more-powerf-1778634446),what does this mean for Halo's future as both a competitive e-sports game and as a fun game?

I think this will have huge implications, things like making sure the pro's and players have similar play fields (not one guy playing at different settings than another). Cross-play? Possible.

Also the effect it will have on graphics? Xbox SCORPIO is said to have around 6 T-flops, I believe thats on par with most of the high end GPU's on the market (GTX 1080 +).

(If this has been discussed already ignore, haven't been up to date on beyond).

Weird.