CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Ya, it totally baffles me.

Hey let's make the entirety of MM (except warzone$$$$) a giant sweat fest. That's clearly going to make everyone happy.

Nothing says casual fun like playing people who are as skilled as you are at your best every game.

And they also make the sweatiest playlists in the game the least rewarding in terms of REQ points. Basically no incentive for a casual player to give the ranked lists a shot beyond curiosity.

And they did both of those things, but they just had to throw randomness on top of it all for some reason.

clearly they wanted to limit it's range to force players to get closer, but still allow it to antagonize snipers. Can't say they needed to do that though, since the sniper still holds an obvious advantage over a br with better accuracy, since it's projectile, slower killing and lacks the longer rrr.

Honest question - not trolling here.

What keeps you guys playing this game?  

Daily win packs, mostly.

They actually give decent rewards. Like, I got Kelly's shotgun from a daily win pack once. Not a certification, but still a pretty good find.

clearly they wanted to limit it's range to force players to get closer, but still allow it to antagonize snipers. Can't say they needed to do that though, since the sniper still holds an obvious advantage over a br with better accuracy, since it's projectile, slower killing and lacks the longer rrr.

Tweaking the rrr would've been enough imo. Even with a zero-spread burst, cross mapping without the aid of reticle friction is difficult enough to encourage closer range encounters. It's all stuff you have to play with to get the balance correct, but any solution is better than one which creates instances of players being robbed of kills based on RNG.

Tweaking the rrr would've been enough imo. Even with a zero-spread burst, cross mapping without the aid of reticle friction is difficult enough to encourage closer range encounters. It's all stuff you have to play with to get the balance correct, but any solution is better than one which creates instances of players being robbed of kills based on RNG.

right, bungie made the wrong tweaks to create an environment that could've been created from other, more beneficial ways.

That's what everyone with half a brain could see about Bungie's stance, all they needed to do was make the gun harder to use and thus increase the average kill speed with the BR from H2, while keeping the maximum possible kill speed the same (or ideally quicker than the H2 BR). Then allow your CSR/ ranking system to do the rest. 

Create one whole new, bigger problem while trying to fix the 'problem' that existed before. Bungie did this throughout their time with Halo. They fixed multi accounting by destroying the ranking system entirely. They fixed random spread by making 'controllable' bloom, but failed to realise (how they failed to realise I have no idea) that the most efficient way to fire the gun was to completely ignore bloom.

Never has such a basic maxim as a FPS's precision guns should shoot where you aim them been so flagrantly and brazenly disregarded. Still bemuses me now. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I mean, sure. But Halo 3's number of playlists? Too many for a game that clearly doesn't have as large of a population.

It's a paradox.

People leave due to lack of variety.

Lack of variety due to people leaving.

Just give us a healthy amount of variety at launch and people wouldn't get tired of the game so fast.

• Upvote (+1) 2

right, bungie made the wrong tweaks to create an environment that could've been created from other, more beneficial ways.

What really annoyed me was how stubbornly they held to that design choice, while on the other hand tweaking the melee system to reduce randomness. And when that contradiction was pointed out to them, they got reaaaaaaallllyyy butthurt about it.

Halo 2-5 is what happens when you push the lead designer of your successful first game multiplayer out of the way. I mean Hardy almost built the multiplayer completely by himself out of what Bungie handed him. It was like hey we need multiplayer... just let this guy do it by himself and we'll slap it in.

Then they subsequently forget he was the reason for its success and you're just making it worse and worse every time you fiddle with his ideas.

• Upvote (+1) 4

And they did both of those things, but they just had to throw randomness on top of it all for some reason.

In my opinion, what they should have done with the BR in Halo 3 was have the three-round burst perform a natural spread over distance...in other words...at sniper distance, you would basically ping the sniper...and I'm talking distances like BTB maps where you're at the 50yd line of the map and you're trying to BR someone at their base...

Naturally as distances draw closer, the spread tightens, thus your medium to close range engagements provide the most accuracy and over distance it loses accuracy.

No, instead, they did what the did with BR so that snipers and AR spawning players had a fighting chance. The weapon sandbox in Halo has been extremely screwed since Halo 2. I don't even think they wanted to do to the BR like they did post-patch in Halo 2. I truly think that was something they wish they could have gone back and corrected.

All of this though starts at what the default set of weapons ends up being. Then all other weapons in the sandbox have to adapt to what the player starts with by default.

In addition, bring ranges closer together allows for the spray n pray gameplay that's super easy to do, thus casuals can have their cake and eat it too.

All of this crap that's been going on since Halo 2 is just a bunch of fabricated casual nonsense all to try to sell as many copies of the game as possible and not alienate gamers who are using a two-analog stick controller for the very first time.

Funny how Halo CE being one of the most challenging FPS games on consoles ends up being the very first console FPS using the two-stick controller. Oh the irony...

This says it all....

edit: I dont know how to embed the video from YT...but that is the Halo 3 vidoc where they explain what went wrong with starting SMGs in Halo 2 and then deciding to start with AR in Halo 3. Their design logic is completely close-minded in my opinion.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

So it looks like halo 6 is almost surely going to be on PC. Great news imo. This way people will find a way to mod it, and hopefully the PC version of the game has no sprint. Sprint for a PC fps makes even less sense than for a console game imo. 

Also, I wonder if this means that future Xboxes will have keyboard and mouse support, since they are going for a more PC like model of the Xbox anyways. 

Honest question - not trolling here.

What keeps you guys playing this game?  

The update helped a lot with the aiming situation for me, warzone and BTB have better maps now and pub stomping is still fun with friends. Key phrase "with friends".

BO3 is imo a much better MM shooter on console so I prefer it x100 when I'm by myself, but it's a game centric on solo play, whereas Halo is and has always been about teamwork and team interaction in general. With friends on a good playlist, Halo 5 is awesome.

So it looks like halo 6 is almost surely going to be on PC. Great news imo. This way people will find a way to mod it, and hopefully the PC version of the game has no sprint. Sprint for a PC fps makes even less sense than for a console game imo.

Also, I wonder if this means that future Xboxes will have keyboard and mouse support, since they are going for a more PC like model of the Xbox anyways.

Mod? This is MS we are talking here. This is same company who gave us GFWL. The same company who thought Xbone DRM was

good. Mods and MS doesn't fit together since MS are way too control freak.

Mod? This is MS we are talking here. This is same company who gave us GFWL. The same company who thought Xbone DRM was

How quickly would a modder fix Halo after 12 years of bad design?

If i had to guess..not fast enough before MS shut them down.

You seriously underestimate the power of modders lol. By the way, the DRM stuff was Don Mattrick, not Xbox altogether. If we had Phil Spencer from the beginning, Xbox would be huge. We kind of took quite a hit because of Don Mattrick tbh, but Phil has been doing an amazing job picking up the pieces.

I give it about two weeks.

You seriously underestimate the power of modders lol. By the way, the DRM stuff was Don Mattrick, not Xbox altogether. If we had Phil Spencer from the beginning, Xbox would be huge. We kind of took quite a hit because of Don Mattrick tbh, but Phil has been doing an amazing job picking up the pieces.

Phil? Yeah right

Its not really hard to fix the basics of what people around here generally complain about. Mostly adjusting values not actually rewriting or creating much of anything. Two weeks is far more than enough time unless MS does something to seriously obfuscate things which they likely will. The reason our devs don't fix it is because they don't want to. It has nothing to do with not understanding or being unable to do so. It would take them minutes in many cases.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah, i meant to make my post reflect that it wouldn't take much time for a modder to fix halo, lol. Id bet faster than most forgers. most of the modding would simply be going into data files and changing weapon values and player trait values.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think they are changing their tune.  They are letting mods make their way to console after all and they must see how much modding extends the shelf-life of games.  Just be glad they aren't apple, talk about a closed system....

yes indeed. Phil is much better than Don.  He is the guy who decided the whole "Xbox as an all-in-one platform" pitch was a bad idea and started to actually focus on fucking games.

I almost 100% sure that the girl in your signature is a cam girl

You are 100% correct.

Phil? Yeah right

Um.. Yeah.. Phil Spencer.. Care to elaborate on what you think is wrong with him? If it wasn't for him, Xbox One would still be pumping out more apps to watch TV with instead of actually focusing on games. It's actually the BIGGEST part behind why he got put into that position.

• Upvote (+1) 3