CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Dumb ass

This is part of why they continue to do what they do, because they can.

I will most likely rent the game before I figure out if I will buy it. If that's still a thing.

I will most likely rent the game before I figure out if I will buy it. If that's still a thing.

One day I will probably rent Quantum Break.  Definitely refuse to buy it.   I just need a solid weekend without the old lady to play it.

I ran an old gears of war irc channel back in 2006, after the game launched .. cliffyb (the once lead designer for gears) came in and was hanging out with about 30 of us in the channel. he asked us for some questions and i asked a game design one, such as why doe the gnasher shotgun have a random damage output? he took a while to answer and eventually said it's probably lag... then i said i had done lan tests, etc... then he left the room.

All the people were praising him because he was there and asking lore questions and simple crap, but as soon as a logical question about design comes up.... they run away everytime.

Trusting your side of the story. It's very possible that success goes to their heads. Cliffy B was pretty internet famous for a while there, could be that he just wanted his ego stroked. If it were me I would've just said "yeah I didn't get that nitty gritty with the code for that gun" or something along those lines. Or even just "we wanted the gnasher to behave like a real shotgun." Would be a stupid reason, but it's better than just ghosting once someone questions one of your design choices.

I mean, I don't know why the devs have to take such simple design choices so personally. Expecting consistent damage output from guns isn't some crazy entitlement or unreasonable request.

At least buy it used if you can't rent.

One day I will probably rent Quantum Break.  Definitely refuse to buy it.   I just need a solid weekend without the old lady to play it.

Whats wrong with buying Quantum Break?

Trusting your side of the story. It's very possible that success goes to their heads. Cliffy B was pretty internet famous for a while there, could be that he just wanted his ego stroked. If it were me I would've just said "yeah I didn't get that nitty gritty with the code for that gun" or something along those lines. Or even just "we wanted the gnasher to behave like a real shotgun." Would be a stupid reason, but it's better than just ghosting once someone questions one of your design choices.

I mean, I don't know why the devs have to take such simple design choices so personally. Expecting consistent damage output from guns isn't some crazy entitlement or unreasonable request.

The thing i observe is that most people who buy these games are not analyzing them at all... they buy the game, download/install and hop right in. The game could outright be broken in their face and they wouldn't know what to even look for. Things like the halo 3 br issue... most just let it go over their heads, without questioning why something does what it does... instead they think something such as... oh i guess my aim sucks or that guy had the better shot. I read the comments pages on that weekly update from 2008 and i was literally shocked by how many people didnt care one bit about the br's design... they were more concerned about the dlc maps and bobbleheads.

This is what most devs encounter online and in person at shows like E3, it's the fanboys. But once a player goes beyond the line of just casual fanboyism... suddenly the conversation goes sour for some reason and ill never understand that.

Whats wrong with buying Quantum Break?

Nothing, it looks fun as hell, but I know myself and I would play through once and never touch it again.  That's worth a rent value to me. Redbox baby.  $6 for two days.   Assuming it comes to redbox...  It hasn't yet.   I wish I could "rent" if for PC, although I've heard the PC port is shitty.

Nothing, it looks fun as hell, but I know myself and I would play through once and never touch it again.  That's worth a rent value to me. Redbox baby.  $6 for two days.   Assuming it comes to redbox...  It hasn't yet.   I wish I could "rent" if for PC, although I've heard the PC port is shitty.

Ah I just figured buying it would be something terrible or something.

Anyone constantly lag out of games multiple times a day randomly? I'm on my third stint of this occuring. I'll just start lagging out every few games for a day or so every 4-6 weeks.

The thing i observe is that most people who buy these games are not analyzing them at all... they buy the game, download/install and hop right in. The game could outright be broken in their face and they wouldn't know what to even look for. Things like the halo 3 br issue... most just let it go over their heads, without questioning why something does what it does... instead they think something such as... oh i guess my aim sucks or that guy had the better shot. I read the comments pages on that weekly update from 2008 and i was literally shocked by how many people didnt care one bit about the br's design... they were more concerned about the dlc maps and bobbleheads.

This is what most devs encounter online and in person at shows like E3, it's the fanboys. But once a player goes beyond the line of just casual fanboyism... suddenly the conversation goes sour for some reason and ill never understand that.

Haha you reminded me of that "Brutes in multiplayer" thread that was super popular on the bungie forums during the H3 days.

Might be the juxtaposition between us and the fanboy communities. Like you said, they get heaps of praise everywhere else, so in relative terms we probably seem like an angry mob. When in reality we just want some explanation, a back and forth, basic discussion, etc, because we care about the game from iteration to iteration. And not just the competitive aspect, I don't think I've ever advocated for a change that would benefit the competitive community at the expense of any other community, and I'd say that holds true for the majority of people here.

Their approach holds them back from making better games at the end of the day. The worst case scenario for community interaction is stirring up a PR disaster, but that's usually a consequence of dishonest or oversimplified communication rather than the communication itself. Things got a bit heated after Josh suggested they had a pro-player consensus on Breakout being in HCS (I don't believe there was any malicious intent on 343s part there), but despite the hysteria we had for a while, the end result was very beneficial to everyone. Even though the root cause was them not paying close enough attention to the desires of the community on that issue, their response to that interaction won them points in my book.

Transparency builds good will. They should WANT us to pounce on the bullshit, so it can get fixed and everyone can enjoy the game more. That's worth enduring the occasional callous response imo.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Anyone constantly lag out of games multiple times a day randomly? I'm on my third stint of this occuring. I'll just start lagging out every few games for a day or so every 4-6 weeks.

I lag out about once per 15 games.

been awhile...

So are autos still OP?

Have they implemented party restrictions yet?

Haven't had the urge to play in a couple months now, won't until both of those issues are addressed.

been awhile...

So are autos still OP?

Have they implemented party restrictions yet?

Haven't had the urge to play in a couple months now, won't until both of those issues are addressed.

Yes. No. Sorry.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honest question - not trolling here.

What keeps you guys playing this game?  

I play the game because while I despise radar, it's virtually been in this game since Halo 2 excluding Team Hardcore and MLG playlist. I get enjoyment out of the game in small sessions, once lag kicks in, I get off the game and go play/do something else...I don't waste my time with nonsense like that.

The positives I see in the game are the starting weapons, the pistol, despite I think it should be 4-shot kill, is lethal and does work to defend one's self off spawn, but I think there's total lack of map movement gameplay.

There isn't enough timing going on in this game. There are maybe one to two power weapons per map, and then maybe a powerup. That's very little going on in the game that you actually need to think about and manage.

Item control to me is a crucial part of an arena shooter and it's always been a staple to Halo with Halo CE and Halo 2...somewhat in Halo 3, but I curse that game due to the BR fiasco.

There's a lot of improvements they could easily make with Halo 5 if they just tested them and let the community be the testers. Testing the HCS settings in team arena is great...but go beyond that. Why weren't more items placed on the maps to time/control? Why not disable radar? Why not test a weekend with a 4-shot pistol?

I haven't played in months. I come here every so often to see if they fixed aiming or anything else. 

The fact that its the only working game on the xbox that feels like Halo

The fact that its the only working game on the xbox that feels like Halo

MCC mostly works.

Would rather play inconsistent hit reg Halo CE and 2 than Halo 5 for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haven't touched halo in a while, would like to get on reach and mcc again.

For me, it's just Achilles. Once I get that helmet, I'll probably wont play as much. The game feels like a huge beta.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

MCC mostly works.

Would rather play inconsistent hit reg Halo CE and 2 than Halo 5 for sure.

Lucky you.

I tried to play it today, went into the customization menu and the game froze. Tried playing Hardcore and it restarted the search when we were voting 2 times.

Have any of you actually read the br weekly update from halo 3 back in 2008?

aways loved these parts:

The result of the “tweaked” Halo 2 Battle Rifle was a weapon that functioned astonishingly well at short, medium and long range. It was utilitarian and when coupled with a mountain of button combinations, astonishingly lethal. Arguably too lethal.

Halo 3’s Battle Rifle, as we’ve discussed before, while similar in some respects to Halo 2’s – it is still the Battle Rifle, it still fires three-round bursts, has had its functionality changed and now the Rifle performs much differently from its H2 predecessor.

Admittedly, it can certainly be jarring to see the weapon look nearly identically to a previous iteration and have its performance be different from what you’d expect. That is the case in Halo 3, and it is the case for a number of reasons.

The Battle Rifle works this way because after Halo 2 it was retuned to be a reliable headshot and anti-sniper weapon (in terms of pinging Snipers at distance from their scoped-in state). The first bullet in the burst fills this role – it is quite accurate (identical to the Halo 2 BR, but with a travel time), and will kill an unshielded unit with a headshot or ping a sniper.

Another design goal with the Battle Rifle in Halo 3 was to bring the kill-range closer. One way this was achieved was by giving bullets 2 and 3 from the BR a wider error, which makes them less likely to land outside of the BR’s intended effective range. Summarily, this reduces the BR’s effectiveness AND damage output at those ranges, without compromising its ability to finish a target at the same range.

This change allows the Battle Rifle to be competitive in terms of damage output at closer-than-Halo 2-levels, without being so effective at longer range, that players caught in the open are gunned down too quickly (that task in Halo 3’s sandbox belongs to the Sniper Rifle. If you need to control a space 30wu [world units] away, use it instead).

Typical Bungie/343: implementing a "solution" that is worse than the "problem". Other examples include but are not limited to: (1) having an indecipherable and nonsensical system for booting betraying teammates so that people can't game the system, and (2) quitbanning
  • Upvote (+1) 4

The h2 br wasn't "arguably too lethal", it's was arguably too easy to use, the only changes bungie needed to make to the br for 3 was to make it projectile and make aiming harder, spread just slowed the game down on larger maps.

• Upvote (+1) 3