CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Hahaha, dude 4 shots Raven Celica and then kills both of us while being 1 shot.

New goat. :simms:

When one GOAT retires, another one gains his power

too be fair it's hard to compete with id on a technical level, the engine they use allows for really smooth actions and pretty much perfect gun play, bungie was one of the few developers that was even remotely close to them, and 343 isn't bungie, they're not an uncommonly talented studio like id and bungie are on a technical level.

Which really surprises me, because when I think of xbox 360 343, I always assumed they were a technically capable power house. They had some fantastic graphics programmers, notably Corrinne Yu (who left to go work on Uncharted 4 with ND). Halo 4 really looked amazing and was one of the best looking games of last gen. Which is why I am so dumb founded by Halo 5. 

I get it, it's almost perfect locked 60 frames. But there are many other games out there which look better and still retain a good steady frame rate (Battlefront, DOOM) etc...

I don't know why they were too afraid to experiment like they did with Halo 4, too much over optimisation I guess?

I guess I can kind of understand the reasoning, it was supposed to be a big e-sports game, and it would be pretty unacceptable to have any frame rates in tourneys which may affect gameplay some how.

I was too afraid before for them to go the 30 fps campaign, 60 MP route because it would be jarring, but considered they shafted challenges and campaign replayability they should just do that. Uncharted 4 and Gears 4 are doing that.

With all this talk about sprint, and the recent releases of big shooters which don't really feature sprint, does anyone think maybe 343 will possibly take steps back (either in classic playlists or Halo 6 redesigns) and get rid of sprint?

Honestly as much as I enjoy Halo 5, and Halo Reach being the Halo I put most of my time into (and that has sprint), I definitely can see the arguments for the removal of sprint and would hope this is definitely something 343 think hard about in the future.

Idk why I both can and cannot see 343 taking steps back, because that would mean they would actually have to... take steps back. Maybe a lot of nerfs to sprint idk.

I've sadly not played DOOM as I'm taking a break from gaming till my exams are over. Then I've got to power through UC4. Cannot wait to see if all the comparisons are fair.

I think there's a shot at h6 not having sprint. The industry is kind of trending that way and even though 343 made the dumb decision to keep sprint for h5 atleast they had discussions about not having it.

If overwatch, lawbreakers, and unreal hit it big. If word of mouth about doom's campaign starts igniting sales. If the next COD really does trend downwards. Who knows.

I think there's a shot at h6 not having sprint. The industry is kind of trending that way and even though 343 made the dumb decision to keep sprint for h5 atleast they had discussions about not having it.

If overwatch, lawbreakers, and unreal hit it big. If word of mouth about doom's campaign starts igniting sales. If the next COD really does trend downwards. Who knows.

Sales/Money dictates game design.

If a game comes out that is 180 degrees different from the popular AAA games....and it manages to outsell or sell much larger than expected...only then can it make a change in game design.

Well maybe the biggest console gaming franchise in the world shouldn't have been handed to a studio who doesn't know how to create a cohesive aiming system for the franchise that revolutionized twin stick aiming.

It's like if Halo 3 came out with no online play.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't believe Halo 6 not having sprint default. There may be non-sprint playlists though. If the trend continues and we keep getting non-sprint games, maybe Halo 7.

I am going to be so old then.. Like 28.. Noope.. better just go make your own game than wait for them. 

Well maybe the biggest console gaming franchise in the world shouldn't have been handed to a studio who doesn't know how to create a cohesive aiming system for the franchise that revolutionized twin stick aiming.

Well, that's not entirely fair. They clearly know how to. They just didn't.   :poop:

I don't believe Halo 6 not having sprint default. There may be non-sprint playlists though. If the trend continues and we keep getting non-sprint games, maybe Halo 7.

I am going to be so old then.. Like 28.. Noope.. better just go make your own game than wait for them.

Lol, I'm 28 now. I'm not old :(

Too be honest I have more free time and more potential gaming time now then I did from like 16-25. Back then I had school, work and an active social life. Now I'm married with a step son. I'm not out all the time. I don't have school. If my wife is working and it's past the little guy's 8pm bedtime, I can't leave the house.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol, I'm 28 now. I'm not old :(

Too be honest I have more free time and more potential gaming time now then I did from like 16-25. Back then I had school, work and an active social life. Now I'm married with a step son. I'm not out all the time. I don't have school. If my wife is working and it's past the little guy's 8pm bedtime, I can't leave the house.

Vidya all the time then? Sounds like the dream haha.

Do you still play H5 or just every now and then?

Lol, I'm 28 now. I'm not old.

keep telling yourself that grampa :kappa:
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Nope.

If they're gonna do classic playlists, they'll be rotational because they always have shite population.

They do? What evidence is there for that?

Nope.

If they're gonna do classic playlists, they'll be rotational because they always have shite population.

So what's the excuse for breakout again?
  • Upvote (+1) 7

They can do it. The aiming felt fine during the beta. It fell victim to the "fix-what-isn't-broken" strategy that has been applied to everything else in the game. What they can't seem to do is take the simple approach. Everything always needs to be more sophisticated or have more moving parts, even when the more simple design ends up being optimal when all is said and done.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Plays Doom for a weekend.

Comes back.

Movement feels like ass.

Guns feel like ass.

Kill times feel like ass.

Aiming feels like dragging your aimer through a massive pile of shit.

Maps look like ass.

If Doom had even starts Halo Would've been uninstalled by now.

I really enjoyed the doom beta, never played a doom before but I had more fun than a Halo 5 match.

Felt good playing a game without sprint, wasnt to bothred by loadouts too as I mainly stuck with rockets and shotgun

And ffa

Can't imagine a classic playlist drawing lower population than those two.

Is there anyway to view your stats vs another player? I remember this used to be a feature on like halocharts with Halo 3. 

EX. My stats vs *random guy i match against a lot*. W/L, K/D, etc..

They do? What evidence is there for that?

Have you seen every classic playlist in Halo since 2007?

I guess the argument could be made that the settings weren't too good, but I'm still willing to bet that it would be a low population because most people don't want to be limited to one playlist 

Probably the fact they spent so long on it in development. 

I think Breakout should have been relegated to a rotational a while ago, to be fair.

JUST CAME HERE TO SAY THAT THE DOOM SLAYER KICKS EXPONENTIALLY MORE ASS THAN THE MASTER CHIEF EVER COULD. IF YOU DISAGREE YOU ARE WRONG.

oh ok

• Upvote (+1) 1

JUST CAME HERE TO SAY THAT THE DOOM SLAYER KICKS EXPONENTIALLY MORE ASS THAN THE MASTER CHIEF EVER COULD. IF YOU DISAGREE YOU ARE WRONG.

You mean Doomguy?

oh ok

My new favorite one-liner.

And I'm pretty sure saying that any other space marine is better than MC is against the Team Beyond ToS. And if its not, it should be, why am I forced to bear witness to such lowly heresy?

• Upvote (+1) 2

he really always could if we're being honest, I mean he killed id's version of the devil in doom 2 (I guess the Vatican had a copyright on the mainstream devil?) by himself. Cheif has done a lot like destroy multiple armadas and drive an entire species to the edge of the Galaxy, but he didn't kill the ultimate evil in all of existence listening to heavy metal.

Also, doomguy in the new game is a better developed character than Locke is in both nightfall and h5.