CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It sickened me to see a poll on Waypoint in which people actually want sprint in future Halo titles

I think I've isolated the problem here.

• Upvote (+1) 6

It sickened me to see a poll on Waypoint in which people actually want sprint in future Halo titles

I was on Waypoint from 2011 till I was banned in 2014,2015?

The sprint siders never won back then. They have chased away everyone like we are witches. 

The only thing that sucked getting banned over there was that I lost my "Masters of Unicorn" rank. I was like 1 of 3 or so people that had it in the end. I wonder if there are any Master of Unicorns survivors over there left. 

Controversial opinion: I honestly prefer larger maps... I like the larger size which truth has. I can see why others disagree though.

95% convinced you are a highly dedicated troll.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

95% convinced you are a highly dedicated troll.

I'm honestly not. I just happen to have some fairly contrary opinions (at least as far as this thread goes) and I like discussing Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I played this for the first time today in like a month and a half. Is there any news I should know about? Any aiming fix coming or anything?

I wish halo 5 had a map long in length but not width. sorta like narrows

Torque would be your map, bud.

Controversial opinion: I honestly prefer larger maps... I like the larger size which truth has. I can see why others disagree though.

There is a difference between a map being large in size (Pit, Eden, Plaza) and a map that has stretched engagement spaces and dead areas where no combat goes on. I'm a big fan of how Truth plays in H5 but the map has a lot of dead space because of Sprint. 

I too prefer larger maps (Eden, for example) but the combat areas need to be appropriately scaled and there needs to be items and opportunities that incentivize healthy map movement.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I played this for the first time today in like a month and a half. Is there any news I should know about? Any aiming fix coming or anything?

Press A on your look sensitivity to independently adjust Horizontal and Vertical sensitivities. This helped a lot of people with their issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Press A on your look sensitivity to independently adjust Horizontal and Vertical sensitivities. This helped a lot of people with their issues.

Thanks man. I'll give this a try.

There is a difference between a map being large in size (Pit, Eden, Plaza) and a map that has stretched engagement spaces and dead areas where no combat goes on. I'm a big fan of how Truth plays in H5 but the map has a lot of dead space because of Sprint.

I too prefer larger maps (Eden, for example) but the combat areas need to be appropriately scaled and there needs to be items and opportunities that incentivize healthy map movement.

That's all true but I actually quite like the larger spaces as well. It's not for any real logical gameplay reason, I just like having the room to move around.

After playing the H5 beta, every time Midship or Heretic came up on the MCC it just felt super claustrophobic to me.

Again, I can completely see why people disagree and like I said I can't really back up why I prefer it with much. I guess it's just game feel really...

• Downvote (-1) 2

5-14 today and I went negative almost every game. Yay me  :salt:  :salt:  :salt:

It feels so good that an FPS without sprint is coming to consoles and the whole "it's [current year], console FPS's without sprint are totally not possible" argument can go away. If anyone wants to argue for Sprint, explain how it is a positive for Halo that doesn't have to do with "well they're doing it!"

Its realistic, it doesn't make sense a super solider can't sprint.

• Downvote (-1) 4

Who gives a damn, I'm playing a video game dammit. I want there to be quality gameplay, if I have to sacrifice immersion so be it.

In Dooms single player I feel more lie a super soldier that I have in the last 2 halos. I should mention there's no sprinting.

• Upvote (+1) 8

In Dooms single player I feel more lie a super soldier that I have in the last 2 halos. I should mention there's no sprinting.

Seriously

It also doesn't make sense that a super soldier can't run and shoot at the same time.

Which is how the other halos played, yes the running speed was slowed down but it also meant for more strategical game play, rather than who can shoot first or crouch strafe better.

I mean lets be honest if you were a super soldier with enhanced tactical knowledge you wouldn't be running around a map like a headless chicken knowing there are other super soldiers trying to kill you.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's because you actually do super soldier things and generally fuck stuff up instead of plodding along slowly through some trash lore killing the same enemies for the billionth time watching them just sort of die without any sort of impact whatsoever. Basically Halo is boring and vanilla by comparison.

My problem with Truth mostly revolves around it being a completely different map from Midship and plays NOTHING like it. If Truth is what 343 calls a remake, I don't want them to touch any old Halo map again.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

My problem with Truth mostly revolves around it being a completely different map from Midship and plays NOTHING like it. If Truth is what 343 calls a remake, I don't want them to touch any old Halo map again.

Well, that's in no small part because Halo 5 is completely different from the games Midship was in previously. Honestly, I don't think that's so much a map design problem on there end as it is the inevitability of remaking a classic Halo map to account for all of the "mobility" shit in Halo 5. It has to be big to accommodate sprint/thrust, there have to be a tons of ledges and shit to make clamber seem like it isn't pointless, there has to be extra cover to compensate for the size, etc. A faithful Midship remake would be horrid in Halo 5.

my problem with it is that carbine is fucked. Bubble spawns are dumb, and too advantageous, and spawning with frags makes the map a nade fest. There's a reason midship spawned with plasmas; h5 should be 1 frag 1 plasma on that map.

and in v3, removing the br from the base is dumb. It makes it even harder on the team to get out of their base when only carbine and p2 have rifles

Monthly reminder that I'm still active in Halo 5 and I'm doing my part towards commendation completion in the Beyond company.  Can't for that Achilles Helmet! 

See, that's my biggest issue too. That, and "dead space" as Infinity mentioned earlier. It's big, which can be fine, but the heatmap for that map must be a carbon copy of a Halo ring.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly you don't even need to be a super soldier to run and shoot at the same time. It's such utter fucking nonsense. Obviously it will be much harder to run and shoot accurately, but it can be done with enough practice.

Now apply this to a supersoldier, who has far superior strength, reflexes, and hand-eye co-ordination. They could probably run very fast while shooting accurately.

Sprint is lore-breaking. Fast movement with gun up is not.
  • Upvote (+1) 2