CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

By no means am I a high level player, but I have watched Frosty play the game. I've watched plenty of high level players. It is no where near impossible. It happens frequently and the only thing that combats it in HCS settings is removing modes that directly reward that behavior. Like Empire Slayer, which is awful. Combine that with thrust and extremely cluttered, honey-combed maps and escape in Halo 5 is trivial compared to the rest of the series. Have you ever played H5 FFA? That's even worse.

Who was it that said H5's FFA directly encompasses every problem with H5's sandbox and gameplay? I agree with that person 1000%.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Who was it that said H5's FFA directly encompasses every problem with H5's sandbox and gameplay? I agree with that person 1000%.

That's pretty much the conclusion any sane person would reach after playing that playlist for any real stretch, I think. Every problem with H5's design is significantly worse without team shot to off-set it. FFA is infuriating in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 4

How do thrusters negate sprint nerfs??? Sprint is for faster long distance covers, thrust a slight boost in a direction with a cool down?

I think thrusters is a great addition and feels more natural than sprint.

He means they tried to make sprint less of a get out of jail free card but then added Thruster.

I like Thruster. I think it would be great in a halo game without sprint and with faster kill times.

The main issue I have with Thruster in H5 is that it gives elite/scuff controller users a big advantage over normal controllers.

You can just thrust around corners.

One of the primary complaints towards sprint was players using it to escape gunfights. The windup period before full sprint keeps this from happening. Thrust doesn't have this problem and could be used to get around corners where the player cannot be shot, therefore, cannot be knocked out of sprint. Throw in infinite sprint, teammates you can run to and cluttered maps and BINGO, sprint nerfs mean nothing.

Idk I find thruster escapes a bit more based around positioning and rewards that. If you're caught in the open, sure you could try and sprint but you aren't exactly going to thrust all the way to the nearest cover. 

I just really like thrusters so I don't think that should be reworked, but sprint should. 

Thrusters don't change the design of the map like sprint does, right?

Bruh.

KB/M?
No Xbone required?
KB/M?
Settings galore?
KB/M?

So we want the aiming to be even easier? That will make the game worse, not better.

It feels so good that an FPS without sprint is coming to consoles and the whole "it's [current year], console FPS's without sprint are totally not possible" argument can go away. If anyone wants to argue for Sprint, explain how it is a positive for Halo that doesn't have to do with "well they're doing it!"

• Upvote (+1) 7

I bet if you bring up doom in the sprint debate some one will go "well doom isn't supposed to have sprint, that's how it's played" brilliant, halo used to be the same.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The main issue I have with Thruster in H5 is that it gives elite/scuff controller users a big advantage over normal controllers.

It does? You mean you're not using Recon?

So we want the aiming to be even easier? That will make the game worse, not better.

lolno. You're horribly misinformed. Go play someone competent on Halo 2 Vista, you get KB/M, they get controller, and tell me how many times they kick your ass. The aim assist on controller, especially in a game designed for controllers, MORE than makes up for any advantage KB/M gives you. And its NOT EVEN ABOUT ADVANTAGES. Its about using an input device that's comfortable while also not disadvantaging you. Ffs, the default controller layout for Halo has never allowed you to aim and jump at the same time.

Secondly, why are you against this? They're obviously doing this to push Windows 10, and this, as far as I can tell, is going to be a standalone utility without crossplatforming. It will literally not effect you at all outside of allowing Xbone forgers to potentially push out maps faster.

• Upvote (+1) 1

lolno. You're horribly misinformed. Go play someone competent on Halo 2 Vista, you get KB/M, they get controller, and tell me how many times they kick your ass. The aim assist on controller, especially in a game designed for controllers, MORE than makes up for any advantage KB/M gives you. And its NOT EVEN ABOUT ADVANTAGES. Its about using an input device that's comfortable while also not disadvantaging you. Ffs, the default controller layout for Halo has never allowed you to aim and jump at the same time.

Secondly, why are you against this? They're obviously doing this to push Windows 10, and this, as far as I can tell, is going to be a standalone utility without crossplatforming. It will literally not effect you at all outside of allowing Xbone forgers to potentially push out maps faster.

I'm not "against" it, I just don't see how it's going to fix any of the actual core issues of Halo 5. It will make forging easier, which is great and a really awesome feature on it's own, but completely irrelevant simply because the core game itself is still the same (bad). I'd rather they devote their energy to actually making the game better. "Forge being easier" is, like, wish number 753 on my list.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It feels so good that an FPS without sprint is coming to consoles and the whole "it's [current year], console FPS's without sprint are totally not possible" argument can go away. If anyone wants to argue for Sprint, explain how it is a positive for Halo that doesn't have to do with "well they're doing it!"

So we have Doom and Overwatch but even then, Battleborn's sprint is completely different to Halo's sprint. Battleborns sprint is just an illusion (very little impact) because when you press a button the character reacts instantly. It's not like in Halo when you have to wait for the animation to go away, changed reticle and stuff, so theoretically you could even use that in your argument. 

So we have Doom and Overwatch but even then, Battleborn's sprint is completely different to Halo's sprint. Battleborns sprint is just an illusion (very little impact) because when you press a button the character reacts instantly. It's not like in Halo when you have to wait for the animation to go away, changed reticle and stuff, so theoretically you could even use that in your argument. 

You mind elaborating a bit more? Not played battle born but what do you mean it just happens instantly?

You mind elaborating a bit more? Not played battle born but what do you mean it just happens instantly?

I only played one character though, but when you play Halo you sprint, stop sprinting and want to shoot there is usually some delay between you can do those two things. The spartan has to bring up his weapon from his pockets or whatever. As far as I remembered is that when you press  the "shoot" button in battleborn the sprint will get cancelled automatically, and you will just start shooting instantly. 

I just wish devs understood that people want to be fast, not handicapped.

I mean, if you moved quick and could shoot at the same time, virtually NOBODY would complain. Just look at how everyone unanimously is praising Doom's campaign for being so fast and fluid.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It does? You mean you're not using Recon?

But then jump would be off a trigger. Either way, elite/scuffs get an advantage.

I bet if you bring up doom in the sprint debate some one will go "well doom isn't supposed to have sprint, that's how it's played" brilliant, halo used to be the same.

No. They'l just tell you that doom is slow compared to h5.

True story

I only played one character though, but when you play Halo you sprint, stop sprinting and want to shoot there is usually some delay between you can do those two things. The spartan has to bring up his weapon from his pockets or whatever. As far as I remembered is that when you press  the "shoot" button in battleborn the sprint will get cancelled automatically, and you will just start shooting instantly. 

Depending on the weapon H5 is just like that. The pistol and the AR both fire near enough instantly if you shoot whilst sprinting.

With other weapons the delay is still very small, shorter than changing a weapon for example.

Depending on the weapon H5 is just like that. The pistol and the AR both fire near enough instantly if you shoot whilst sprinting.

With other weapons the delay is still very small, shorter than changing a weapon for example.

But any delay there is terrible. It looks better, but it is terrible. It forces you to stop sprinting before you turn a corner - So you have to switch between sprinting and not a lot and these two movement options become very seperate and used in different situations. If you absolutely no delay you don't really have to do this (especially also because the reticule doesn't change), so the movement is more fluid. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

One of the primary complaints towards sprint was players using it to escape gunfights. The windup period before full sprint keeps this from happening. Thrust doesn't have this problem and could be used to get around corners where the player cannot be shot, therefore, cannot be knocked out of sprint. Throw in infinite sprint, teammates you can run to and cluttered maps and BINGO, sprint nerfs mean nothing.

The main issue is map design, sprints fucks on map design, you have to make everything huge to balance sprint, butbthe gunplay is sprintless so you end up fighting in this huge rooms and maps. Just compare the size of P2 in Truth vs its original size on H2
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I realize this is off topic, but the fact that overwatch is being sold for $60's to some console players is pretty bad. There is not $60's worth of content in that game in my humble opinion.

H5, even at its launch state, had more content than overwatch does.

The Xbox version is the Origins one.

But any delay there is terrible. It looks better, but it is terrible. It forces you to stop sprinting before you turn a corner - So you have to switch between sprinting and not a lot and these two movement options become very seperate and used in different situations. If you absolutely no delay you don't really have to do this (especially also because the reticule doesn't change), so the movement is more fluid. 

That is the case with the pistol and the AR.

The new Doom has managed to convert some people to no-sprint, but not enough to actually matter.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The main issue is map design, sprints fucks on map design, you have to make everything huge to balance sprint, butbthe gunplay is sprintless so you end up fighting in this huge rooms and maps. Just compare the size of P2 in Truth vs its original size on H2

Controversial opinion: I honestly prefer larger maps... I like the larger size which truth has. I can see why others disagree though.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I wish halo 5 had a map long in length but not width. sorta like narrows

• Upvote (+1) 2

It sickened me to see a poll on Waypoint in which people actually want sprint in future Halo titles

• Upvote (+1) 4