CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I always laugh when people say oh sprint is balanced now because your shield won't recharge!

OK, it might be a little more balanced, but now it's like fucking Benny Hill the game with two morons sprinting around a map unable to shoot at each other.

H5 feels very strange when you haven't played it for awhile and you've been playing other shooters. I wonder if this is how casual players view h5 as well. The game has this akward mix of being able to get around the map quite quickly mixed with very slow kill times. It's like the game is fast...until you go to shoot someone. Then you move slowly and kill slowly. Then you get the even more akward situations where you're moving and killing slowly but the guy you're shooting is moving quickly. It's almost as is two different playing games are mixed into one.

Meanwhile all the other shooters feel coherent. COD, doom, MCC halo. They're very different from one another but each one's pacing and mechanics feel good in their own right.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

H5 feels very strange when you haven't played it for awhile and you've been playing other shooters. I wonder if this is how casual players view h5 as well. The game has this akward mix of being able to get around the map quite quickly mixed with very slow kill times. It's like the game is fast...until you go to shoot someone. Then you move slowly and kill slowly. Then you get the even more akward situations where you're moving and killing slowly but the guy you're shooting is moving quickly. It's almost as is two different playing games are mixed into one.

Meanwhile all the other shooters feel coherent. COD, doom, MCC halo. They're very different from one another but each one's pacing and mechanics feel good in their own right.

Disagree with COD, I've been getting really frustrated with this game following what I like to call, "titanfall-isation", all the wall running, super boosting, specific character abilities (like gravity spikes). Although BO3 plays really well with it compared to AW, I see it like Halo 5 to 4 where it still retains these new mechanics but at least does it much better than the last game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

and it's only $40 so there should be no excuse why anyone shouldn't have this game.

my impression is that it's just TF2 with pretty colors, does it actually play well? I'm pretty addicted to the Halo formula but could give it a shot

my impression is that it's just TF2 with pretty colors, does it actually play well? I'm pretty addicted to the Halo formula but could give it a shot

It's not at all. TF2 is a class-based shooter. Overwatch is a hero-based shooter. CliffyB is making one as well, the same with Battleborn. It's a quick rising trend because of LoL/DOTA2. I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend getting it on the PC. Blizzard is known for every one of their games to be playable on any PC. The reason that I don't recommend the console version is because the game will thrive on PC while the console community will likely be on life support after Infinite Warfare/Battlefield 1.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Disagree with COD, I've been getting really frustrated with this game following what I like to call, "titanfall-isation", all the wall running, super boosting, specific character abilities (like gravity spikes). Although BO3 plays really well with it compared to AW, I see it like Halo 5 to 4 where it still retains these new mechanics but at least does it much better than the last game.

While I don't like the new stuff either it still feels coherent. You move quickly, you kill quickly. It's all smooth.

It's not at all. TF2 is a class-based shooter. Overwatch is a hero-based shooter. CliffyB is making one as well, the same with Battleborn. It's a quick rising trend because of LoL/DOTA2. I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend getting it on the PC. Blizzard is known for every one of their games to be playable on any PC. The reason that I don't recommend the console version is because the game will thrive on PC while the console community will likely be on life support after Infinite Warfare/Battlefield 1.

Can you explain what the difference is? You're still playing different characters who have different abilities. Haven't played Overwatch just watched some gameplay so maybe I'm missing something.

Where are people getting that overwatch is $40? Im at eb games right now and it's the regular 79.99 Canadian.

Even if it's Titanfall-ized, the pace is always pretty smooth. Your encounters with enemies end very fast. Conversely in newer Halo you run around and then you stop and strafe slowly and then sometimes one of you will just run away.

Cooper, I'm betting this weird pacing does affect the population. It doesn't feel right to most people so they quit. Then you only have the people left over who are used to its bad pacing.

Where are people getting that overwatch is $40? Im at eb games right now and it's the regular 79.99 Canadian.

Everything is cheaper in America. 

Can you explain what the difference is? You're still playing different characters who have different abilities. Haven't played Overwatch just watched some gameplay so maybe I'm missing something.

TF2 and other games with classes have a specific character for each class. Games like Overwatch, Battleborn, and the upcoming LawBreakers do it very differently. Because of the popularity in the hero system in LoL/DOTA2, a few developers decided to throw that into shooters. Instead of one character per class, these new games make multiple heroes + ultimate + unique abilities, and with how these ults/abilities are designed determines the class that each hero will be set in. It's a huge spin on the class-based shooter and it's enough to call it it's own genre at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 3

$48 on Amazon for XB1 version, $40 for PC version in various places ... not sure if US version would work in Canada, maybe though

TF2 and other games with classes have a specific character for each class. Games like Overwatch, Battleborn, and the upcoming LawBreakers do it very differently. Because of the popularity in the hero system in LoL/DOTA2, a few developers decided to throw that into shooters. Instead of one character per class, these new games make multiple heroes + ultimate + unique abilities, and with how these ults/abilities are designed determines the class that each hero will be set in. It's a huge spin on the class-based shooter and it's enough to call it it's own genre at this point.

But isn't the basic concept still the same? It's still a class based shooter like TF2, just with slightly different variations within each class.

Halo 5 feels strange even if you play it everyday.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I realize this is off topic, but the fact that overwatch is being sold for $60's to some console players is pretty bad. There is not $60's worth of content in that game in my humble opinion. 

H5, even at its launch state, had more content than overwatch does.

Everything is cheaper in America.

Ya, but generally 79 Canadian is equivalent to 59 American not 40 American.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But isn't the basic concept still the same? It's still a class based shooter like TF2, just with slightly different variations within each class.

Anyone who plays either game will tell you they play very differently. TF2 is rooted in its Quake origins and focuses on mechanics and gunplay while Overwatch is focused much more deeply in hero selection and rock-paper-scissors use of abilities.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Blizzard is known for every one of their games to be playable on any PC.

Starcraft 2 says otherwise.

(Source: beta + launch SC2 player)

I wonder why the hell 343 went through soo much trouble tacking on ridiculous nerfs to sprint, and then went right ahead and implemented thrusters that completely negate said nerfs.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Anyone who plays either game will tell you they play very differently. TF2 is rooted in its Quake origins and focuses on mechanics and gunplay while Overwatch is focused much more deeply in hero selection and rock-paper-scissors use of abilities.

Thanks, that explanation makes sense to me.

Don't really care for hero selection strategy... I wish I could buy into what makes LoL and Dota so popular since they are such big scenes, but I just can't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wonder why the hell 343 went through soo much trouble tacking on ridiculous nerfs to sprint, and then went right ahead and implemented thrusters that completely negate said nerfs.

How do thrusters negate sprint nerfs??? Sprint is for faster long distance covers, thrust a slight boost in a direction with a cool down?

I think thrusters is a great addition and feels more natural than sprint.

How do thrusters negate sprint nerfs??? Sprint is for faster long distance covers, thrust a slight boost in a direction with a cool down?

You can just thrust around corners.

• Upvote (+1) 5

One of the primary complaints towards sprint was players using it to escape gunfights. The windup period before full sprint keeps this from happening. Thrust doesn't have this problem and could be used to get around corners where the player cannot be shot, therefore, cannot be knocked out of sprint. Throw in infinite sprint, teammates you can run to and cluttered maps and BINGO, sprint nerfs mean nothing.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Idk what you guys are playing, but it is nigh impossible to escape a gunfight by sprinting away in high level play.

By no means am I a high level player, but I have watched Frosty play the game. I've watched plenty of high level players. It is no where near impossible. It happens frequently and the only thing that combats it in HCS settings is removing modes that directly reward that behavior. Like Empire Slayer, which is awful. Combine that with thrust and extremely cluttered, honey-combed maps and escape in Halo 5 is trivial compared to the rest of the series. Have you ever played H5 FFA? That's even worse.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1