CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Will forge be free for everyone with windows 10 or will we have to buy it?

We are giving players the ability to play full custom games to test their Forge creations on PC. Because Forge supports and builds upon existing Arena content, that includes the same maps and modes that are available in Arena on XB1. The intent of the experience is to allow Win10 users to Forge more effectively w/ keyboard and mouse and test their creations on PC before publishing to Xbox One. As such, there is no support for matchmaking or server browser. You will need to invite friends into a session through LIVE.

Will it require a Gold subscription? What about cross-platform play?

We are giving players the ability to play full custom games to test their Forge creations on PC. Because Forge supports and builds upon existing Arena content, that includes the same maps and modes that are available in Arena on XB1. The intent of the experience is to allow Win10 users to Forge more effectively w/ keyboard and mouse and test their creations on PC before publishing to Xbox One. As such, there is no support for matchmaking or server browser. You will need to invite friends into a session through LIVE.

My personal favorite Halo news I've seen in a while!  Thanks for confirming proper custom games.  I am really pumped for all my free time getting sucked back into forge ;)

Are we going to be able to take maps we've started on Xbox One and finish them and polish them off with the PC forge version?

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can use K&M.

Free.

Interesting. Have you made any changes to the gameplay to better suit a mouse? Such as removing aim assist etc?

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you decide to use a controller on PC to test, is aim assist enabled?

Testing a controller paced fps with a kbm is not ideal.

Thanks Josh.

I know you can't answer this @@Sal1ent, but has the widespread cheer and overall positive response to the PC Forge edition have y'all considering developing Halo 6 for both Xbox One and PC?

Feel free to leave a vague answer with slivers of hope tilted towards yes if you'd like.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've been here the whole time, lurking and responding to PMs. :)

The team is working on a big update for file browser. We want to make sure it's solid and works with content across both platforms before rolling it out. We'll have more info to share as we near release.

Yes. The nature of the experience (shared Forge content across XB1 & Win10) means we need to maintain both and keep them up to date & in sync with one another.

Bless

Now give me a black undersuit too :P

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can use K&M.

Free.

Good job pushing it all to PC multiplayer wise. I really think you guys stand to gain a lot of profit/popularity if you do things right and include things like cosmetic REQs at some point or maybe even for Halo 6. Will the PC version be utilizing dedicated servers? If not how open will the game be to modding if you can answer that? PC communities are quite different than they are on console but if you provide them enough tools/freedom amazing will happen. Just look at any Valve game or Minecraft

Forge news is great. Any news on when forge maps will start rotating into Arena/slayer? The same old(bad) maps are getting stale.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is great.

You can use K&M.

Free.

Will Halo 5 Forge support higher frame rates such as 120fps or 144fps or will it be locked to 60fps? 

Will G-Sync be supported too?

I assume this is being developed as a UWP application. UWP just got updates to support 144hz monitors and g-sync.

ALSO!

Any chance of a Field Of View Slider??

• Upvote (+1) 6

Will Halo 5 Forge support higher frame rates such as 120fps or 144fps or will it be locked to 60fps? 

Will G-Sync be supported too?

I assume this is being developed as a UWP application. UWP just got updates to support 144hz monitors and g-sync.

ALSO!

Any chance of a Field Of View Slider??

Asking the real questions.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Whatever you do, DON'T bring up the aiming!! You'll scare him away. :kappa:

Will an Beta aiming option be available on the PC forge?

Chris Schlerf, the former lead writer at 343, actually did a decent job for Escalation 1-3. I really wouldn't call Halo 4's story "well-written" (Giant exposition dump, anyone?), and he sorta dropped the ball in Escalation 4-6.

Like, 343 would have you believe that Chief is supposed to be questioning his humanity in Halo 4, but it just doesn't work because the story itself does jack all to support this idea. The only thing that plays into it is Cortana's one line where she accuses Chief of being "the real machine" of the two, and Lasky's "Soldiers aren't machines" or whatever. This doesn't make an ounce of sense, considering that in Halo 4, or in any of the Halo games, there's no point where Chief makes some heartless decision as a result of his overly stoic and cold nature. So why does the game try to challenge Chief's humanity? Hell, if anything, he's one of the most compassionate characters in the story, considering that his desire to save Cortana, a computer program he has only known for a few months, borders on obsession.

It's one thing to POSE a question, and another thing entirely to actually explore it.

That's because in the games, Chief didn't have to make those choices. Completely glassing New Mombasa was left to the UNSC. Following Cortanas directions to the Ark even if it means sacrificing Earth. All decisions made by others. I would say his biggest decisions that bordered on "Doing what must be done" was blowing up Pillar of Autumn in CE. But in the books he could easily be considered a robot. Killing humans (insurrectionists) without even thinking. Leaving Sam to die to continue the mission. And so on.

That's because in the games, Chief didn't have to make those choices. Completely glassing New Mombasa was left to the UNSC. Following Cortanas directions to the Ark even if it means sacrificing Earth. All decisions made by others. I would say his biggest decisions that bordered on "Doing what must be done" was blowing up Pillar of Autumn in CE. But in the books he could easily be considered a robot. Killing humans (insurrectionists) without even thinking. Leaving Sam to die to continue the mission. And so on.

And then Chief learned compassion in TFoR (By NOT killing those ODSTs during the Mark V testing session. You can tell this is SUPPOSED to be some big deal considering that Cortana comments on it as if she expected the Chief to do the opposite) and later, once again in First Strike (By not giving the UNSC the research file that would ultimately lead them to dissecting Johnson in the pursuit of a Flood "cure"). Probably because the first time around, Nylund didn't exactly make it clear that Chief even had an arc to begin with.

And that's the problem. Halo 4 tried to muse about an aspect of Chief's character that only existed in the books, and was already resolved in the books.

Killing humans (insurrectionists) without even thinking. Leaving Sam to die to continue the mission. And so on.

In the case of the insurrectionists, Chief felt guilt towards them, when innocents began to die as a result of the detonation within the asteroid that he and his team caused. With Sam, he was described as "knowing he'd stay with Sam, had he looked back to him", once he and Kelly began to escape. Kelly may have been verbally opposed to leaving him, but Chief was arguably more torn up by doing so, albeit mentally. He isn't exactly a "robot", just "reclusive" and quiet.

He reluctantly killed Keyes. He chose to help and subsequently defy 343 guilty spark when it put humanity at risk even though the flood were a major threat to the Galaxy. He chose to blow up Halo. The player is left to choose what happens to the crazed marine in 343gs.

And then Chief learned compassion in TFoR (By NOT killing those ODSTs during the Mark V testing session. You can tell this is SUPPOSED to be some big deal considering that Cortana comments on it as if she expected the Chief to do the opposite) and later, once again in First Strike (By not giving the UNSC the research file that would ultimately lead them to dissecting Johnson in the pursuit of a Flood "cure"). Probably because the first time around, Nylund didn't exactly make it clear that Chief even had an arc to begin with.

And that's the problem. Halo 4 tried to muse about an aspect of Chief's character that only existed in the books, and was already resolved in the books.

In the end he is still a sociopathic killer who's entire training was supposed to remove feelings a couple create the ultimate warrior. Why none of the writers ever actually try to write it that way I have no idea.

He reluctantly killed Keyes. He chose to help and subsequently defy 343 guilty spark when it put humanity at risk even though the flood were a major threat to the Galaxy. He chose to blow up Halo. The player is left to choose what happens to the crazed marine in 343gs.

I honestly completely forgot about all that.

WOOOHO, got a B on our game development project. The game did have quite a few combat bugs, however the teacher could look past that as we had a very complicated AI, with many behavior states such as but not only attack, patrolling, looking for the player, calling for help, running away. 

One more exam and then I am ready to tackle the FPS project. 

I only see my goals I don't believe in failure, because I know the smallest voices, they can make it major!! 

• Upvote (+1) 3