CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Hi guys - I think maybe people didn't notice that I wasn't reposting the same news, this confirms online multiplayer H5 custom games on PC with mouse and keyboard support (didn't think that was known yet)

Nobody states custom games, just being able to invite your friends to Forge.

The only thing that hints at it is win conditions but even then, I'm not holding my breath.

Currently praying for a Halo game on PC. Except Halo Wars 2 since yes it'll be awesome. But it's not a FPS Halo game.

Hi guys - I think maybe people didn't notice that I wasn't reposting the same news, this confirms online multiplayer H5 custom games on PC with mouse and keyboard support (didn't think that was known yet)

It was assumed because the previous article said the maps could be tested with friends.  That pretty much implies customs games.  More on my fears about that at the end of this post.

Part of me is actually glad it will be customs only.  And maybe just at first...

Let me explain myself before you loose your britches: 

Halo 5 on Xbizone could have a strong customs game scene, but it just doesn't.  People get on and usually just search matchmaking.  It's much faster to get to the action.   I have noticed a lot of the friends on my xbox live list use the PC app and are also PC gamers.  Since it looks like customs games will be the only thing available to play with friends on PC, I think people will embrace playing custom games much more and deal with the overhead of getting lobbies together and organized for each game.   Speaking of overhead and getting lobbies together, this is much less painful on PC with the xbox app and mouse/keyboard, not to mention you can browse the internet and such while lobbies are being put together.  Nothing sucks more than just sitting there on xbox one waiting for people to get their shit together and get a lobby going. 

I just hope we do actually get a real customs game lobby and actual customs games, not just invite your friends to forge session and play within forge.  That would be hard to play actual custom games. That would lead to insanity of Just switch to monitor right before you die, conserve momentum, repeat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was assumed because the previous article said the maps could be tested with friends.  That pretty much implies customs games.  More on my fears about that at the end of this post.

Part of me is actually glad it will be customs only.  And maybe just at first...

Let me explain myself before you loose your britches: 

Halo 5 on Xbizone could have a strong customs game scene, but it just doesn't.  People get on and usually just search matchmaking.  It's much faster to get to the action.   I have noticed a lot of the friends on my xbox live list use the PC app and are also PC gamers.  Since it looks like customs games will be the only thing available to play with friends on PC, I think people will embrace playing custom games much more and deal with the overhead of getting lobbies together and organized for each game.   Speaking of overhead and getting lobbies together, this is much less painful on PC with the xbox app and mouse/keyboard, not to mention you can browse the internet and such while lobbies are being put together.  Nothing sucks more than just sitting there on xbox one waiting for people to get their shit together and get a lobby going. 

I just hope we do actually get a real customs game lobby and actual customs games, not just invite your friends to forge session and play within forge.  That would be hard to play actual custom games. That would lead to insanity of Just switch to monitor right before you die, conserve momentum, repeat.

I agree with all of this ... if the XB1 version had a custom games browser I wouldn't play anything else, but a PC version (which maybe isn't happening, I suppose) would be great as well

I agree with all of this ... if the XB1 version had a custom games browser I wouldn't play anything else, but a PC version (which maybe isn't happening, I suppose) would be great as well

I think I would actually start enjoying Halo 5.

The writing team is pretty good (Halo 4). I blame everything wrong with Halo 5s campaign on Brian Reed.

Yeah, it sucks that Chris Schlerf, or however one writes his name, left after Halo 4's completion. I want Halo 4's writing team back. So damn good.

Yeah Tyrant assault must be more heavily weighted for these last few days of the preview. I think it's the best map for assault because the games usually get finished at least before the time runs out. 

Yeah, it sucks that Chris Schlerf, or however one writes his name, left after Halo 4's completion. I want Halo 4's writing team back. So damn good.

All 343 would have to tell me is that 4s writing team was coming back and it would be an instant buy.

Yeah Tyrant assault must be more heavily weighted for these last few days of the preview. I think it's the best map for assault because the games usually get finished at least before the time runs out.

The only problem is with how easily you could play the ball in a base.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only problem is with how easily you could play the ball in a base.

The way the game type is currently structured though, it needs to be a little easy to plant the bomb otherwise the game almost always lasts the full 12 minutes plus OT. 

The way the game type is currently structured though, it needs to be a little easy to plant the bomb otherwise the game almost always lasts the full 12 minutes plus OT.

Let me clarify, playing the ball is when you bring the ball to their base and a spawner happens to grab it and dump it off the map, resetting the ball and preventing a possible cap.

This strat kind of takes away from the nature of assault which tends to be a slow methodical push onto an enemies base, it gives the team trying to defend too easy of an option to stop a cap completely.

Let me clarify, playing the ball is when you bring the ball to their base and a spawner happens to grab it and dump it off the map, resetting the ball and preventing a possible cap.

This strat kind of takes away from the nature of assault which tends to be a slow methodical push onto an enemies base, it gives the team trying to defend too easy of an option to stop a cap completely.

Ohhh gotcha. That makes sense. Yes, that prolongs the game needlessly as well. 

You guys don't remember mister chief?   :kappa:

Fair enough. Hes pretty neat.

He was pretty neat until I realized that instead of being a humorous self-deprecating look at Frankie's artistic ability, he was actually a visual representation of where Frankie was bringing the series.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

He was pretty neat until I realized that instead of being a humorous self-deprecating look at Frankie's artistic ability, he was actually a visual representation of where Frankie was bringing the series.

I mean I like the joke but I don't think Frankie makes those choices. Quinn and Josh can be blamed for multiplayer. Brian Reed can be blamed for the campaign. And I blame Bonnie Ross for all the other shit including REQs.

The writing team is pretty good (Halo 4). I blame everything wrong with Halo 5s campaign on Brian Reed.

Chris Schlerf, the former lead writer at 343, actually did a decent job for Escalation 1-3. I really wouldn't call Halo 4's story "well-written" (Giant exposition dump, anyone?), and he sorta dropped the ball in Escalation 4-6.

Like, 343 would have you believe that Chief is supposed to be questioning his humanity in Halo 4, but it just doesn't work because the story itself does jack all to support this idea. The only thing that plays into it is Cortana's one line where she accuses Chief of being "the real machine" of the two, and Lasky's "Soldiers aren't machines" or whatever. This doesn't make an ounce of sense, considering that in Halo 4, or in any of the Halo games, there's no point where Chief makes some heartless decision as a result of his overly stoic and cold nature. So why does the game try to challenge Chief's humanity? Hell, if anything, he's one of the most compassionate characters in the story, considering that his desire to save Cortana, a computer program he has only known for a few months, borders on obsession.

It's one thing to POSE a question, and another thing entirely to actually explore it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So after a break of over a month of h5 I've played a few games now.

Just have to say...what were they thinking when they designed this game's aiming?

I can take months off playing other shooters and jump on and the aiming will still feel fine. Take time off h5 and come back? Feels totally fucked. I actually had to jump back over to another game quickly just to make sure my controller wasn't broken.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So after a break of over a month of h5 I've played a few games now.

Just have to say...what were they thinking when they designed this game's aiming?

I can take months off playing other shooters and jump on and the aiming will still feel fine. Take time off h5 and come back? Feels totally fucked. I actually had to jump back over to another game quickly just to make sure my controller wasn't broken.

Have you tried any of the new settings? Apparently changing the vertical/horizontal ratio helps a lot.

Have you tried any of the new settings? Apparently changing the vertical/horizontal ratio helps a lot.

No I haven't. Seems like most people are saying it doesn't fix the main issue.

We are giving players the ability to play full custom games to test their Forge creations on PC. Because Forge supports and builds upon existing Arena content, that includes the same maps and modes that are available in Arena on XB1. The intent of the experience is to allow Win10 users to Forge more effectively w/ keyboard and mouse and test their creations on PC before publishing to Xbox One. As such, there is no support for matchmaking or server browser. You will need to invite friends into a session through LIVE.

Thanks Josh, this is so insanely awesome. Give Tom a big hug for me will ya :prayers:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Kind of random but anyone ever brainstorm like kind of a Fantasy Football type thing but instead of like teams in a league, you would pick teams from each of the Halo games and put them in groups to make the best Halo game yet? Haha! Fantasy Halo Devs!   :laugh:

• Halo 5's Forge Team
  • Halo 3 Multiplayer Design Team
  • Halo 1 and 2's Gameplay Design Team
  • Halo 3's Audio Team
  • Halo Reach's UI team
  • Halo 5's Cinematic/Animation Team
  • Halo 5's Networking Team (The dedicated servers are amazing when they work properly)
  • + Whoever made Halo 3's Theater Mode

That'd be a bad ass team. Halo 5's Forge Team is the GOAT. I have to give them credit on this because the ability to export their editor to a Windows 10 App is pretty god damn neat and I'm glad to see that some sort of thought was prepared ahead of time to accommodate for multiple platforms. Shows good planning and judgement on their hands.

We are giving players the ability to play full custom games to test their Forge creations on PC. Because Forge supports and builds upon existing Arena content, that includes the same maps and modes that are available in Arena on XB1. The intent of the experience is to allow Win10 users to Forge more effectively w/ keyboard and mouse and test their creations on PC before publishing to Xbox One. As such, there is no support for matchmaking or server browser. You will need to invite friends into a session through LIVE.

Good shit. Being able to actively test on PC is definitely a great addition. The server browser would be nice, but the ability to at least connect with users through Live will definitely suffice.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

Took ya long enough to come back Holmes

Any ETA though on those new file browsing options? Waypoint searching is not nearly as convenient

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Amazing.

Will Windows 10 Forge be constantly up to date with the Xbox version of Halo 5?

Like, when Hog Wild drops for example and new filters are added, will they be immediately available on Windows 10?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are we going to be able to test maps using a keyboard and mouse or will we have to plug in a controller for that?