CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So. I plan on building a PC but I am not good at it. What would be best for me if my cash limit was 600-700?

It depends on when you want to use it but its generally best to wait as long as you can before buying anything. The 1080 is pretty safely out of the 600-700 bracket since that's roughly the cost of a single 1080 and half your budget would be gone to a 1070. They'll drop in price probably especially once the generation after that comes out but really if I were you I'd just put that cash away somewhere and save more until we're further down the line.

If you're just trying to make a PC for right now though you can do it within that budget pretty easily especially if you wait for good deals. Its hard to say exactly what you would want though without knowing exactly what you'd like to use it for. 

Whoever enjoys Plaza Slayer... I.. just don't get it. It's such an awful gametype.

All game long BRs, SRs, SMGs. 

Should only be 1 BR and 1 SMG or SR, THATS IT.

I could see an argument for SMGs or BR's but SR? There's only one on map and it's in a generally unfavorable position. That's one of the few uses of proper weapon placement we saw on the on-disc launch maps.

Now Truth is a completely different story, easily one of the most frustrating slayer experiences in the sense that everyone always has a weapon better than your spawns at all times. THAT's a better example of improper weapon placement. Hopefully, some of the new map changes in the Arena playlist get rotated over to slayer.

It depends on when you want to use it but its generally best to wait as long as you can before buying anything. The 1080 is pretty safely out of the 600-700 bracket since that's roughly the cost of a single 1080 and half your budget would be gone to a 1070. They'll drop in price probably especially once the generation after that comes out but really if I were you I'd just put that cash away somewhere and save more until we're further down the line.

If you're just trying to make a PC for right now though you can do it within that budget pretty easily especially if you wait for good deals. Its hard to say exactly what you would want though without knowing exactly what you'd like to use it for.

I want to switch from a pure Xbox player to at least 75% PC and 25% Xbox.

I could see an argument for SMGs or BR's but SR? There's only one on map and it's in a generally unfavorable position. That's one of the few uses of proper weapon placement we saw on the on-disc launch maps.

Now Truth is a completely different story, easily one of the most frustrating slayer experiences in the sense that everyone always has a weapon better than your spawns at all times. THAT's a better example of improper weapon placement. Hopefully, some of the new map changes in the Arena playlist get rotated over to slayer.

When you already have SMGs, Shotty, and SR, it's a nightmare. Moving on from Slayer to the now horrible Plaza SH, it's in the most elite position ever.... with radar and a giant truck/pillar protecting you, you can do some damage with it.

Are you talking about old Truth or new Truth? New Truth is pretty fire for CTF/Assault other than the Fuel Rod

I want to switch from a pure Xbox player to at least 75% PC and 25% Xbox.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/chW8FT

That's basically a super quick mock up of a PC for $600 I grabbed from reddit. Obviously you'd want to ask around either in other places like on Reddit or even the PC thread on this website. I'm sure it could be improved/changed in a number of ways depending on which games or activities you'd use it for. Like I personally would never want a Micro ATX board as long as I have room for a big enough case just so I won't have spacing issues later and I wouldn't buy a 900 series card right now. The interesting part of that build is actually the ~$30 windows 10 key. That's a good look for anything you build and the only reason that build caught my attention at all.

Servers are really rough lately. Not a good sign considering this is like my second day I've gotten to play Halo since my two month hiatus. 

Have they been this rough this whole time? 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/chW8FT

That's basically a super quick mock up of a PC for $600 I grabbed from reddit. Obviously you'd want to ask around either in other places like on Reddit or even the PC thread on this website. I'm sure it could be improved/changed in a number of ways depending on which games or activities you'd use it for. Like I personally would never want a Micro ATX board as long as I have room for a big enough case just so I won't have spacing issues later and I wouldn't buy a 900 series card right now. The interesting part of that build is actually the ~$30 windows 10 key. That's a good look for anything you build and the only reason that build caught my attention at all.

My budget may go higher depending since I plan on buying the parts separately.

My budget may go higher depending since I plan on buying the parts separately.

Try to at least save up close to $1,000. You won't regret it. I spent $1,200 on my build

Try to at least save up close to $1,000. You won't regret it. I spent $1,200 on my build

Oh I know I won't regret it. But currently my weekly wage is 150$ and I plan on moving to Austin in 2-3 years. So dropping 1200$ on a PC seems extreme.

"Today, we're excited to announce that"

Everytime I read that sentence now I read it in Bonnie Rosses voice and it sucks. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah if people are going to actually build a PC with this type of stuff in mind the time of the GTX 1080 is soon and by the time H6 comes around it'll be at least a generation better than that. The big deal about the 1080 and to a much lesser extent the 1070 however is that this is where 4k cards start to become a very real thing for a lot of people.

I'm assuming this is where the rumor/actual potential of an upgraded PS4/Xbone comes from. PC resolutions/graphical horse power are about to take the biggest shit on consoles we've seen in quite a long time.

We need 4k 120hz IPS panels.   Still going to be an expensive problem.

Oh I know I won't regret it. But currently my weekly wage is 150$ and I plan on moving to Austin in 2-3 years. So dropping 1200$ on a PC seems extreme.

Good luck.  Austin housing is expensive AF.  Unless you plan on living on the east side.

Are you talking about old Truth or new Truth? New Truth is pretty fire for CTF/Assault other than the Fuel Rod

Old truth, since we were talking about old slayer variants I believe. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Servers are really rough lately. Not a good sign considering this is like my second day I've gotten to play Halo since my two month hiatus. 

Have they been this rough this whole time? 

I would say yes since I see people post this daily here.

Good luck. Austin housing is expensive AF. Unless you plan on living on the east side.

I'm sharing the rent with three others (or will).

We need 4k 120hz IPS panels.   Still going to be an expensive problem.

Yes it is. I've been wondering what I'm going to do for a new monitor when 4k really rolls around these last few days. I'm pretty much just hoping I can put it off long enough that the good monitors will be a reasonable price by the time I really upgraded everything. Probably at least a couple of more years before its the standard though so we have awhile.

This new forge on PC free thing makes me think that there is going to be some kind of update in game to find custom maps and games really easy. I mean this forge isn't just limited to forgers who want a bit more precision of a PC, but there is also going to be a whole array of NEW content creators who might not have Halo 5 on Xb1 and still is creating content for us to use.

I'm pretty excited to see how they do this (if this does happen). Maybe some kind of server browser with a forge creation top voted map rotation?

• Upvote (+1) 1

So the closest thing to "Apollo" to change my GT to from "dp Apollo qb" was "Apoll0". 

I decided if i got it i would make it all caps so the zero looks more like an o.  It became available and in my excitement i forgot to Capitalize everything so now i'm stuck with Apoll0....  Anybody know a way to edit capitalization without spending $20....?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe some kind of server browser with a forge creation top voted map rotation?

A man can dream...

tumblr_m3rsk31miL1qj8qnm.gif

If we get a custom game server browser of some sort. Holy jesus. Fuck playing Matchmaking.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Honestly thought you were being serious.

And accidental beg. Mobile is a pain sometimes

Are there any websites that you can see your stats on a map by map basis? It doesn't look like Waypoint, HaloTracker, or Halo5Arena have it, so I'm not sure where else to look or if it's even possible. Curious to see how bad I am at my "bad" maps and vice versa. 

So the closest thing to "Apollo" to change my GT to from "dp Apollo qb" was "Apoll0". 

I decided if i got it i would make it all caps so the zero looks more like an o.  It became available and in my excitement i forgot to Capitalize everything so now i'm stuck with Apoll0....  Anybody know a way to edit capitalization without spending $20....?

I got my original gamer tag back.   Thanks for reminding me the recently released a bunch of old unused tags.  Been using one with 'IV' appended for years because my original tag was lost on some old email I didn't have anymore.