CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm curious to see where snapmap goes. The fact that I can actually find and play what is being made is exciting.

It's a shame that forge cannot be like this in H5.

SM gets away with these features because of its limitations though. Things like the 4 player limit, being locked to premade rooms, a lack of outdoor environments, etc.

Unless all you're making are Doubles maps, it's more of a scenario creator than a viable multiplayer map editor.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone that wants to play Slayer sometime hmu. I hate playing by myself.

Snapmap looks fantastic for creating fun mini-games and campaign style levels. However it doesn't look anywhere near as flexible as Forge as far as actual map design is concerned.

I don't think they're really comparable because they're trying to do fairly different things. 

SM gets away with these features because of its limitations though. Things like the 4 player limit, being locked to premade rooms, a lack of outdoor environments, etc.

Unless all you're making are Doubles maps, it's more of a scenario creator than a viable multiplayer map editor.

Oh ya, it's much more limited than forge. It's still superior though because people can actually share and access it's content.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any good, solid FFA tips or strategies? I've been wanting to get serious about it once again, but a lot of my hesitance in playing comes from not knowing how to play FFA this time around, given how whack things can be.

Look up Jimbo's FFA tips series on youtube. He's an EU pro and it's pretty helpful. He explains some important things with regard to the mental game.

My main tip is to use headphones and chase down the sound of gunfire. Stealing kills is how you make a living in FFA

I'm not sure how to embed YT links, especially on mobile, but here you go:

https://youtu.be/OTxpbC-R4Mg

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's all incompetence. Why am I matching the same group of people 3 times in a row? Is Halo 5 that fucking dead already? Jesus this game is fucking the worst.

Because each time you're initiating the search at exactly the same time.

The game has already decided that the connection and skill parameters are close enough to match you, that's not going to change over the course of a few games.

If you don't want to match the same people again, back out and wait for 15 seconds then try and match again.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Because each time you're initiating the search at exactly the same time.

The game has already decided that the connection and skill parameters are close enough to match you, that's not going to change over the course of a few games.

If you don't want to match the same people again, back out and wait for 15 seconds then try and match again.

So, it is dead, there are no other matches or people looking for games that match that criteria.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

So, it is dead, there are no other matches or people looking for games that match that criteria.

That's not the case because otherwise backing out directly after the match would match you with those same people again, which isn't the case. Every time I back out of the lobby after a game, I get a new set of people to play with. If you stay in the lobby, there is a much higher chance of getting matched with the same players again just because you stayed in the lobby. 

Map-gametype linking is something that would be massive for forge. It'd be cool to see it in H5 but I imagine that would require a lot of backend changes which probably aren't in place.

Maybe in H6.

Look up Jimbo's FFA tips series on youtube. He's an EU pro and it's pretty helpful. He explains some important things with regard to the mental game.

My main tip is to use headphones and chase down the sound of gunfire. Stealing kills is how you make a living in FFA

I'm not sure how to embed YT links, especially on mobile, but here you go:

Interesting. This shall help, as well. Thanks a lot. <3

Snap map let's you publish a map, give it a hash tag to let people search and pull up whatever they're looking for (ex #doubles #core #rocketroom #demonarena stuff like that). There's a global most played section, another section for up and coming maps, and then when your map is played everyone in the lobby can uo/downvote it. If your maps keep getting upvotes they'll climb the leaderboards and people will keep playing and rating it.

There's also a matchmaking system where you can either select Search for X, or host lobby and it'll throw people in with you. So it's like a server browser and matchmaking in one. Then you can search between FFA, Doubles CTF, or 4 player coop and play a map in the experience you're looking for. The leader can put on whatever map they want.

All maps can even be given a thumbnail with custom text and stuff just like a YouTube thumbnail so you know exactly what map you're going to play and make it recognizable.

Each map has the gametype built in so there's no need to match gametype and map. So if the creator wants their map played with 2x running speed, higher damage output, and weapons on map to make it feel like quake they can do so. It'll just happen on its own when you start the game.

This is literally all in game under the snap map section, freaking baller stuff. There's even tutorials on how to use snap map built in right there.

The snap map editor itself is extremely powerful AND easy to use in terms of scripting and whatnot, what sucks is tree actual map creation is limited to prefab rooms. So geometrically you can't get as creative as you'd like, but the EXPERIENCES you can make are incredible.

Is this for xbox one as well? Damn, gonna have to try dubs asap.

Snap map let's you publish a map, give it a hash tag to let people search and pull up whatever they're looking for (ex #doubles #core #rocketroom #demonarena stuff like that). There's a global most played section, another section for up and coming maps, and then when your map is played everyone in the lobby can uo/downvote it. If your maps keep getting upvotes they'll climb the leaderboards and people will keep playing and rating it.

There's also a matchmaking system where you can either select Search for X, or host lobby and it'll throw people in with you. So it's like a server browser and matchmaking in one. Then you can search between FFA, Doubles CTF, or 4 player coop and play a map in the experience you're looking for. The leader can put on whatever map they want.

All maps can even be given a thumbnail with custom text and stuff just like a YouTube thumbnail so you know exactly what map you're going to play and make it recognizable.

Each map has the gametype built in so there's no need to match gametype and map. So if the creator wants their map played with 2x running speed, higher damage output, and weapons on map to make it feel like quake they can do so. It'll just happen on its own when you start the game.

This is literally all in game under the snap map section, freaking baller stuff. There's even tutorials on how to use snap map built in right there.

The snap map editor itself is extremely powerful AND easy to use in terms of scripting and whatnot, what sucks is tree actual map creation is limited to prefab rooms. So geometrically you can't get as creative as you'd like, but the EXPERIENCES you can make are incredible.

Reading this just makes me angrier that the forge team didn't get so much as 10% of this kind of infrastructural support in H5. Imagine how much better the game would be with this kind of robust UGC social, curating, and matching features AND the fucking bad-ass Forge? Jesus. And what do we have? The pathetic bookmarks system. Meh. I'm really tempted to pick up Doom.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I lost most games in placement vs Onyx/Diamond 3+

I get placed in Diamond 1.

I proceed to lose 8 games.

Today is not my day...please advise, I've been wanting to get into plat because i just don't play this game seriously anymore. 

I would literally not play for a month, and then do my placements with a shitty aim and movement...and still get placed in diamond..and then proceed to get my ass kicked for next few games...

.what do :'( 

Does anyone else find it funny how Halo started online as basically a custom games browser(XBConnect), but nothing of the sort has ever been implemented in game.?

• Upvote (+1) 2

And once again the aim has gone back to sit

HEY LETS NOT FIX THE ACTUAL ISSUE THAT WILL HELP RIGHT??

• Upvote (+1) 1

And once again the aim has gone back to sit

HEY LETS NOT FIX THE ACTUAL ISSUE THAT WILL HELP RIGHT??

It's too late at this point. Some people were talking about also allowing people a "beta aiming" setting. I don't think that would go over so well when "beta aimers" start putting people in trash bags and throwing them in the dumpster.

Not sure if this has been posted before or not but the new textures make Forge so damn good:

Holy crap thats actually awesome, playlists needed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Once again, my game randomly crashes mid battle and now I'm banned for 24hrs. I'm all about quit penalties but none of the "quits" I have are me leaving, it's all the game crashing. Pretty soon I'll be banned for life. I've tried reaching out to @@Bravo and Halo but to no avail... Frustrating. Have it all on Xbox DVR too.

• Upvote (+1) 1