CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Still the most emotional moment for me is when Chief relaxes his head against the crate at the end of Halo 3.

This indestructible, invincible super soldier who's been through hell over the past 3 games finally shows a slight bit of humanity. We're talking about a guy who showed no signs of weakness even if he knew the odds. He was always so confident and so ready for anything.

But the moment he tilted his head back and relaxed it against the crate, it's as if I did it with him. Over 3 Halo games and several years, I sighed with him, the fight was finished. It felt so good to see him show some humanity and vulnerability.

Ill never forget that. Halo 3 was the perfect mix of badass silent chief, one liner chief and emotional chief, especially with his scenes with cortana. Halo 4 also did a fucking great job of this, but just not as memorable as that moment in 3 to me.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I disagree, halo 2 had the most complex and complete story.

Halo 2 arbiter arc saved the covenant from being an one dimensional villain. Not only did you get a beautiful character arc with the arbiter, you also was introduced to different factions within the covenant. With their own political agendas. Making them much more interesting villains..

Halo 5 is a joke compared to halo 2

And the Chief's story in that game? 

They cut the entire third act.

And the Chief's story in that game?

They cut the entire third act.

The human story wasn't the focus but it still gave the players new information. The gravemind bit in particular comes to mind. The chiefs side also perfectly compliments the arbiter side. The actions taken in the Chiefs story (assassinating regret) directly effects the abirter side. Connecting the two stories and created some serious world building.

After replaying the original trilogy recently in order. I honestly don't believe the earth section would have work. There was a lot going on, it would have felt tacked on and bloated. Bungie made the controversial but correct desicion to leave the earth section to halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Halo 5 (and 4) obliterated any interest I had in the Halo story. It's all just space magic now. Halo 1-3 were one super soldier saving the galaxy.

With... Yunno... Halo space magic.

Come on man, don't promote that. Terrible behavior and not conducive to improving the MM experience.

I find it okay in certain situations. I definitely don't abuse it like other do. It's not like you're directly affecting a match like quitting mid match. If you QTB, you're only increasing the search times. It's when people abuse it to like ONLY play HCS game types or to avoid DLC maps like the plague do I feel that it becomes a problem.

There's certain maps and gametypes that I feel are not on the table at all for improvements (RIPtide) which could use some attention. I'll test out new rebalancing to a map anyday.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any good, solid FFA tips or strategies? I've been wanting to get serious about it once again, but a lot of my hesitance in playing comes from not knowing how to play FFA this time around, given how whack things can be.

Watch Vetoeds stream. Notice how he uses his ears to find the action and engage. Rotate properly. Don't be afraid to use autos wheb necessary.

Camping in FFA won't work up to a certain point, you have to move and rotate. Maybe focus on a specific powerup or weapon you want to always push for, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

(RIPtide)

1. Accidental neg

2. You're right, I understand the frustration with getting the same gametypes over and over but in terms of quitting unbalanced gametypes I think it's more healthy for 343 to get conclusive map data (landslide victories, % of people quitting per map) and QTB doesn't encourage that collection of that data.

3. Are you referring to the actual RIPtide (Infection) or insulting the actual map?

• Downvote (-1) 1

Watch Vetoeds stream. Notice how he uses his ears to find the action and engage. Rotate properly. Don't be afraid to use autos wheb necessary.

Camping in FFA won't work up to a certain point, you have to move and rotate. Maybe focus on a specific powerup or weapon you want to always push for, etc.

I burned through his Road to Champion series yesterday to gain some knowledge and tune into his streams quite a bit. In turn, began using headphones while playing to hear things in greater detail. To that point, I won't lie, it's very hard for me to use autos, AR mainly. I've tried it multiple times, but it always feels like I fire a peashooter against a chaingun. The Storm Rifle's fine, and the Suppressor's now my best, but the spawn auto is just... "Ugh". It feels so ineffective.

1. Accidental neg

2. You're right, I understand the frustration with getting the same gametypes over and over but in terms of quitting unbalanced gametypes I think it's more healthy for 343 to get conclusive map data (landslide victories, % of people quitting per map) and QTB doesn't encourage that collection of that data.

3. Are you referring to the actual RIPtide (Infection) or insulting the actual map?

Insulting the actual map. The hydra buff helps, but I don't think it's enough to fix the Blue room problem.

It's funny because I think the map with a couple of layout changes and weapon placement shifts would play really well yet here we are with the almost the same map since launch of Riptide compared to overgrowth which recieved a bunch of attention for several patches.

Insulting the actual map. The hydra buff helps, but I don't think it's enough to fix the Blue room problem.

It's funny because I think the map with a couple of layout changes and weapon placement shifts would play really well yet here we are with the almost the same map since launch of Riptide compared to overgrowth which recieved a bunch of attention for several patches.

Just making sure. Because I actually believe Riptide is one of the best DLC maps. It suffers from 2-3 design/flow mistakes, but the colossal issue is the weapon layout. 

In fact, Fuel Rod being removed totally screwed the map. Fuel Rod was gimmicky and claustrophobic but it actually provided flow through Orange and a viable option to contest the Blue Room setup (which wasn't even that prevalent to begin with. The map actually had some nice flow between the two weapon pads/areas but people complained about Fuel Rod and tight hallways, it got removed, and thus the Blue setup was born. I can only imagine what it would have been like if Rockets or something replaced Fuel Rod.

Overgrowth is too entrenched in the 'hallways everywhere' design to be saved with a new layout, but I don't mind the map in either Slayer or Strongholds at this point. It's a flat average. Not good or bad.

Actual design problems:

• Dead area of Water Room/Orange BR
  • No Route from Orange to Blue Gen
  • No route from Pit to Blue Tree/Dunes

<p>

Just making sure. Because I actually believe Riptide is one of the best DLC maps. It suffers from 2-3 design/flow mistakes, but the colossal issue is the weapon layout.

In fact, Fuel Rod being removed totally screwed the map. Fuel Rod was gimmicky and claustrophobic but it actually provided flow through Orange and a viable option to contest the Blue Room setup (which wasn't even that prevalent to begin with. The map actually had some nice flow between the two weapon pads/areas but people complained about Fuel Rod and tight hallways, it got removed, and thus the Blue setup was born. I can only imagine what it would have been like if Rockets or something replaced Fuel Rod.

Overgrowth is too entrenched in the 'hallways everywhere' design to be saved with a new layout, but I don't mind the map in either Slayer or Strongholds at this point. It's a flat average. Not good or bad.

Actual design problems:

• Dead area of Water Room/Orange BR
  • No Route from Orange to Blue Gen
  • No route from Pit to Blue Tree/Dunes

What we need is a powerup in Orange Area

What we need is a powerup in Orange Area

A Dual Powerup setup will work if they cut down on Storm Rifles. Having a Storm Rifle bunkered down in Blue would completely body any chance of an OS pushing.

However, that map just is screaming for the addition of a Camo in Slayer.

I remember when forge came out with what was essentially community btb. Community breakout soon followed and I thought wow, cool were obviously going to be going to seeing much more of this. Community slayer, community doubles, team classic. The possibilities are endless!

Ya...I miss bungie.

https://halo.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/playlists.aspx?player=CoooooooooooP

So many options. So much variety. Even with shit gameplay, so much fun to be had.

• Upvote (+1) 9

grZAZ.gif

Logged in just to +rep this lol.

Literally nothing on Riptide is made well. One of the worst maps in the Halo series.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Matched the same team of 4 while searching solo twice. :)

This is extremely common in higher Onyx or late at night when the population is low, even with the "focused" thing on. Im tired of playing champions being a 1500 Onyx myself (haven't been playing much this season).
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What's this I'm reading about Doom community voting maps or playlists or something that people can make and vote for? If true, sad Halo 5 doesnt have it yet, in class so cba researching rn but I never knew Doom had these features. Defo gonna pick it up after exams then.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What's this I'm reading about Doom community voting maps or playlists or something that people can make and vote for? If true, sad Halo 5 doesnt have it yet, in class so cba researching rn but I never knew Doom had these features. Defo gonna pick it up after exams then.

The entire snap map creation/voting/searching system is brilliant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The entire snap map creation/voting/searching system is brilliant.

Do you mind giving me a rough explanation of what it is? Otherwise I'll just wait till I get home and check it out, I saw it in the IGN review. Some kind of map building?

Do you mind giving me a rough explanation of what it is? Otherwise I'll just wait till I get home and check it out, I saw it in the IGN review. Some kind of map building?

Here you go.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm curious to see where snapmap goes. The fact that I can actually find and play what is being made is exciting.

It's a shame that forge cannot be like this in H5.

Here you go.

Woah thats pretty cool, I get the vibe its more using dev stuff instead of free for all like Halo 5 forge.

How would you say the two compare, because I don't know much about Halo 5 forge, but from what I've seen on /r/halo it's pretty amazing but just under-appreciate in the community (no easy way to vote and play and all that).