CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Nightfall was locked behind a pre-order bonus for MCC wasn't it?

Have it in-game or a game for it.

It could be a separate purchase but it was free if you had MCC. Nightfall was your typical scifi channel flick... but I did still enjoy it

I really feel like Halo 5's story gets more hate than it deserves... I actually like it more as time passes. The warden fights were unneeded though

• Downvote (-1) 1

It could be a separate purchase but it was free if you had MCC. Nightfall was your typical scifi channel flick... but I did still enjoy it

I really feel like Halo 5's story gets more hate than it deserves... I actually like it more as time passes. The warden fights were unneeded though

The Warden fights were annoying, especially on Genesis where you fight one, immediately followed by two more. I just replayed the campaign last night and god damn, I didn't remember there being two Warden fights being that close. 

Saying that, once you know how to actually kill them, it's a simple fight.

Edit: To link this into the Locke discussion, the criticisms levelled at Locke (which I think for the most part are perfectly reasonable) can equally be levelled at the Chief's portrayal in CE through H3. They actually are, a lot of criticism against the story of Halo revolves around how the Chief is a boring character. However, diehard Halo fans love the Chief anyway because of that connection we've built up through the love of the games, rather than interest in the actual character. Had Locke been the original main of character of Halo it'd be no different.

The difference between Chief and Locke is that Locke is annoying and Chief isn't. Locke probably has more dialogue in H5 than Chief does in the entire first trilogy and I literally can't remember anything that he says except maybe "you're not taking the Chief". This is completely different than MC, who I want to find out more about. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Halo 5 was officially revealed two years ago today. They released that Halo Xbox One trailer in 2013 but the actual title "Halo 5" wasn't confirmed until May 16th. 

Pretty crazy day. Confirming a new game and sending everyone into rampant speculation about what Halo title would be dropping in 2014 which eventually turned out to be Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

I still believe that trailer wasn't actually a trailer for Halo 5 or anything specific, but a trailer for the general direction of future Halo sequels. 

I still think we might see in the future some cloaked Chief or some desert guardian etc... Idk I thought it was pretty cool how he looked and some of the concept art, most specifically this uAqlPVq.jpg

The concept art for Halo 5 is actually glorious, and I wish they were better at sticking to some of the themes, the whole massive scenes and vistas and you're just alone to explore. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

i noticed that while i was playing the campaign, on the meridian level during the elevator section, that it was 99% 343 halo, there was no covenant, no classic music or art style, only fireteam osiris, and the prometheans. this made me realize what the future of the franchise is, eventually its going to be completely different, and not for any reason other than "just cuz". oh and money cant forget that part.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Fair enough, I think WZ players aren't generally huge fans of esports ... but it's definitely relevant in terms of player base and general popularity of the franchise

The majority of the people who still care about "modernized" Halo are playing the most "modern Halo" game type—where the majority development resources appear to have gone—the most. Shocker. Of course it's relevant. That's the largest group of people who wouldn't rather play an older Halo or the modern shooters 343 wishes Halo was. That's the primary target audience of this game. And Halo eSports gets what's left because that industry (eSports in general) is on the rise and they see long term profit in the investment.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still believe that trailer wasn't actually a trailer for Halo 5 or anything specific, but a trailer for the general direction of future Halo sequels. 

I still think we might see in the future some cloaked Chief or some desert guardian etc... Idk I thought it was pretty cool how he looked and some of the concept art, most specifically this uAqlPVq.jpg

The concept art for Halo 5 is actually glorious, and I wish they were better at sticking to some of the themes, the whole massive scenes and vistas and you're just alone to explore. 

It was for Halo 5. The people who made it originally had a version which said "Halo 5" at the end but it was later removed, likely because they knew Halo 5 wasn't going to be the final title and it wasn't releasing in 2014.

Anything that showed up in that trailer that didn't make it into the game such as Chief's cloak, the old Guardian design, the location, etc was because it was content cut from the campaign. 

It's pretty clear they cut a lot of Blue Team missions and maybe even some Osiris ones for whatever reason. There's also concepts like the one you linked as well as the Infinity hub, the entire hunt the truth aspect being non-existent in the game, etc. 

If they were really smart, they'd bend that original trailer in their favour and say it was for the overall direction of the Chief games but being realistic, it was time constraints that resulted in this content being cut from the game entirely.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd argue that H5 easily has the best environmental art design in the series (at least in the campaign).

I don't think that H5's story is actually all that bad, however, it could've been so, so much better. 

• Downvote (-1) 3

If they were really smart, they'd bend that original trailer in their favour and say it was for the overall direction of the Chief games but being realistic, it was time constraints that resulted in this content being cut from the game entirely.

If they were smarter, they'd say it was for Halo 6. XP

If they were smarter, they'd say it was for Halo 6. XP

that'd be about as frustrating as when Ubisoft said assassins creed was staying 30fps because it was more cinematic.

that'd be about as frustrating as when Ubisoft said assassins creed was staying 30fps because it was more cinematic.

Nah, it makes perfect sense now, as a trailer. Totes possible Halo 6 was delayed from 2014, to 2018(?), and was given a trailer before Halo 5.

I usually just pretend Halo's story stopped after 3.

Also who the hell writes this script? 33:55.

Am I the only one who finds that dialogue cringey?

• Upvote (+1) 4

I usually just pretend Halo's story stopped after 3.

Also who the hell writes this script? 33:55.

Am I the only one who finds that dialogue cringey?

Do you mind pointing out to me what exactly from what you linked was cringey/crap and doesn't fit into the Halo universe?

So there isn't an Arena playlist on H5 right now..

It's back. Minor hiccup.

Nah, it makes perfect sense now, as a trailer. Totes possible Halo 6 was delayed from 2014, to 2018(?), and was given a trailer before Halo 5.

How is that possible when Halo 5 wasn't even fucking out before 2014

Assault, Slayer, Assault, Slayer, Assault, Assault, Slayer. <Pretty much sums up my Arena experience in the past couple days.

Assault, Slayer, Assault, Slayer, Assault, Assault, Slayer. <Pretty much sums up my Arena experience in the past couple days.

If you need to, just QTB to avoid gametypes you don't want to play.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you need to, just QTB to avoid gametypes you don't want to play.

Come on man, don't promote that. Terrible behavior and not conducive to improving the MM experience.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any good, solid FFA tips or strategies? I've been wanting to get serious about it once again, but a lot of my hesitance in playing comes from not knowing how to play FFA this time around, given how whack things can be.

Come on man, don't promote that. Terrible behavior and not conducive to improving the MM experience.

Sarcasm right?