CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Huh. Never really thought about this. She had communicative access with all of the colonies/worlds that housed Guardians but couldn't find the Infinity. Plus as we know, she only needs one Guardian to "warden" the galaxy, so the whole process was overkill to begin with.

Good point. Never realized this plot hole.

I thought Guardians could only really police a Solar system?

Oh shit, I don't remember Reach campaign that well, was Arbiter actually in it leading the covenant in the attack? I had no idea, guess TIL.

I don't think it's referred to in any of the games but it's a reasonable conclusion to make. He was the general who lead the Covenant in CE which took place directly after the PoA jumped from Reach.

I think Doom is the best looking console game I've ever seen

I honestly think Halo 5 is one of the ugliest Halo Games, H3 MCC is more appealing to the eye than Halo 5
  • Upvote (+1) 6

Serious question, but who did you enjoy more in H5 campaign then? (blue team or osiris). Because I really didn't care much for blue team at all, and Chief only had a few great moments, mainly the dialogue he has with cortana, especially that bit when he was riding the platform up and he's pointing out all the things cortana is doing "physcholgical tactics, using my name" etc... His voice acting was so good too, you could really hear the struggle of Chief dealing with cortana being a villain.

The issue with Locke wasn't his character writing as much, as the story of Halo 5 REVOLVING around our favourite hero Chief, the whole story is about Chief. It's all about how Locke can go and find Chief. I'd the say the game would have been better if half of it was just about Osiris, and the other half just about Chief. Instead of this light back and forth between the two.

There's nothing THAT likable about Locke, outside of he's got some cool lines, is a good leader, a good guy and a good friend. For me I love the way he continuously respects Chief and the people around him, even when under the assumption that Chief has gone rogue he still calls him "sir". But Chief is still the hero here, still the sun that the whole story revolves around, and his line when talking to Locke is the same bad ass Chief we all know and love. "Cortona's our concern now, sir" pause "like hell she is". Also my favourite bit from that scene was when they're running out and Buck doesn't make it through the portal and is hanging on, everyones gone and you just see Locke pop back through "I SAID RUN!" and pulls him through.

These small moments of dialogue and cut scenes are the only things which I liked about the campaign. If it wasn't for these, the story wouldn't have had any salvageable moments. The voice acting was so good, the script on the other hand was super weak.

The writing really has problems, they need to sort that out ASAP. Get Reed under some supervision, make sure he is writing interesting things and not just making some interesting points and dropping it straight away. Also more cut-scenes, enough of this level starts with you just dropping in. 

I actually agree with what you're saying here. There's no denying that given Locke's background, he has the POTENTIAL to be more interesting than the Chief, but as of right now his PERSONALITY falls completely flat.

I'd say that my favorite character is honestly Buck. I would say Chief but he's in such a weird character state thanks to the writing of Halo 5 after the events of Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You completely misinterpreted what I said.

He's an icon because of marketing and the success of Halo, not because he's an interesting character. He is not considered iconic because of some imaginary "unique personality". Hell, Pacman is iconic but you wouldn't call him an interesting character.

We love the Chief because we love Halo, not the other way around. His purpose is to be a player vessel and occasionally say badass lines, that's not enough to create a personality. The reason we love him is because we've built up 15 years of nostalgia around him and Halo as a whole, we've been through a hell of a lot with the Chief. I love the Chief, I think he's badass too. However, I recognise that he's an uninteresting character lacking in personality.

I could look at a number of games I don't particularly like or I'm not interested in and still point out great characters. Take Joel from the Last of Us, I'm not that into the gameplay so I don't rate the game that high. However, I can still tell you why Joel is a fantastic character. Take anyone who's never played Halo before or isn't that interested in it and let them play through the first three games, I guarantee they will tell you that the Chief is "generic space marine #1". That's because there is nothing to relate to about the Chief, there's very little about him which you can make an emotional connection with.

The Chief fits his purpose as a badass player vessel very well, however he's no more interesting than every other green space marine out there.

(Note: The above is entirely based on the Chief's portrayal in the first three games. Taking into account external media and H4 and the Chief does start to become a fairly interesting character.)

Edit: To link this into the Locke discussion, the criticisms levelled at Locke (which I think for the most part are perfectly reasonable) can equally be levelled at the Chief's portrayal in CE through H3. They actually are, a lot of criticism against the story of Halo revolves around how the Chief is a boring character. However, diehard Halo fans love the Chief anyway because of that connection we've built up through the love of the games, rather than interest in the actual character. Had Locke been the original main of character of Halo it'd be no different.

The biggest issue with this argument is the fact that Locke didn't enter the universe when we needed that "bad-ass superhero vessel" in a light-hearted save the galaxy adventure, he entered the universe after everything started taking a serious, fleshed out direction.

Take Chief for example, sure Locke would be a fine character in the original trilogy if they simply added a unique element to his personality, but since this is the 343era of Halo, everything is meant to be taken way more seriously. They understood that with Chief, and they gave him a character arc that fit the giant change in direction 343i was going for in Halo 4. Locke being a boring character with no uniqueness (i.e. Bungie-era Chief) just makes him fall completely flat in this style of storytelling.

I doubt anyone will respond to me but because if I'm not actively trashing the game I get ignored. But my win percentage is like 20% what do I have to to win solo? Is it even possible to do?

I doubt anyone will respond to me but because if I'm not actively trashing the game I get ignored. But my win percentage is like 20% what do I have to to win solo? Is it even possible to do?

Personally it's really random for me. I'm definitely not at 20% though, I'd say I win at least half of the games I play these days, but there are times when I just completed get DUMPED on. I don't know why it happens, one game I'll be on all these sprees and doing great with the team, then the next 5 game suddenly I suck more than anyone on Earth.

I find Warzone for me to be the most balanced, I always win some and lose some even on solo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Playing with randoms is no different than rolling dice. You just have to be lucky and get decent teammates and not be matched up against a party.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Git gud
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Playing with randoms is no different than rolling dice. You just have to be lucky and get decent teammates and not be matched up against a party.

It sucks. I really don't play any differently than when playing with a team but I just lose like 10-15 in a row.

Reach v7 at 60fps would easily beat Halo 5 for playtime for me personally.

I even enjoyed TU 85% bloom.

• Upvote (+1) 2

When people would rather play Halo Reach than Halo 5.  :kappa:

unlike some people I still find reach to be pretty fun, anniversary, v7, tu playlists, invasion, griffball, and other playlists allowed me to actually play that game for years, I stopped playing 5 after a few weeks.

Guys, i did some numbers with the stat that circled around last month. "200000 players completed their placements".

Now lets assume that in average every player played 100 games (I know is way above what people play), lets assume 8 minutes games duration (0.13333 h).

Result: 200000x0.13333/720x100= 3704 players on average

Another scenario, lets assume that 20% of all the players play at the same hour, since we are having 100 games a season that is like 3.3333 games/day.

Result: 200000x0.2= 40000 concurrent players for 3.333*8= 27 minutes

This game wont last 3 years hahaha, we are at H4 numbers or lower atm.

Obviously this is a very rough estimate, but that doesn't account for Warzone players at all though. From looking at Waypoint (yuck, I know), there are a lot of people playing Warzone that rarely ever dabble in arena at all. It's really a rougher than rough estimate. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Obviously this is a very rough estimate, but that doesn't account for Warzone players at all though. From looking at Waypoint (yuck, I know), there are a lot of people playing Warzone that rarely ever dabble in arena at all. It's really a rougher than rough estimate.

I know that is way I overestimated with 100 games a season. The real number of peak concurrent players for arena has to be around 30k .

Guys, i did some numbers with the stat that circled around last month. "200000 players completed their placements".

Now lets assume that in average every player played 100 games (I know is way above what people play), lets assume 8 minutes games duration (0.13333 h).

Result: 200000x0.13333/720x100= 3704 players on average

Another scenario, lets assume that 20% of all the players play at the same hour, since we are having 100 games a season that is like 3.3333 games/day.

Result: 200000x0.2= 40000 concurrent players for 3.333*8= 27 minutes

This game wont last 3 years hahaha, we are at H4 numbers or lower atm.

TB users seem to have a really tough time with statistics.  None of these assumptions are meaningful ... you have no clue how many games people are playing over a month, and you're also only focusing on ranked.  This is the biggest error; you have no clue how many people don't complete placements in ranked playlists.  

The average H5 player is not into sweaty ranked games, and judging by the number of service records I've looked at playing 950 games of Warzone, a majority of WZ players barely touch Arena.  Given the new social playlists and new BTB maps, I wouldn't be surprised if even fewer people were finishing their Arena placements (I only did Team Arena placements this past season, no other ranked playlists).

Obviously H5 is not at H2/H3 population levels but you haven't written a meaningful critique.

• Upvote (+1) 3

343i though it's a smart decision to not include party restrictions which makes this game unplayable for most solo searchers.

I lost my last 11 Warzone matches in a row. Even this gametype has gotten unplayable for me. I write this while I sit back in the homebase of A.R.C getting farmed by a bunch of trash kids.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought Guardians could only really police a Solar system?

I don't think it's referred to in any of the games but it's a reasonable conclusion to make. He was the general who lead the Covenant in CE which took place directly after the PoA jumped from Reach.

Maybe not in game but somewhere I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that he was in control of what happened to Reach and then followed the PoA to the first ring. 

TB users seem to have a really tough time with statistics. None of these assumptions are meaningful ... you have no clue how many games people are playing over a month, and you're also only focusing on ranked. This is the biggest error; you have no clue how many people don't complete placements in ranked playlists.

The average H5 player is not into sweaty ranked games, and judging by the number of service records I've looked at playing 950 games of Warzone, a majority of WZ players barely touch Arena. Given the new social playlists and new BTB maps, I wouldn't be surprised if even fewer people were finishing their Arena placements (I only did Team Arena placements this past season, no other ranked playlists).

Obviously H5 is not at H2/H3 population levels but you haven't written a meaningful critique.

I don't care for Warzone players since they probably don't watch any esports at all and have no desire to compete. And Warzone settings are so different and out there, that is irrelevant for the development of the next game, unless they decide to say: "fuck it lets go full sellout mode and make only Warzone game with even more micro transactions "

TB users seem to have a really tough time with statistics.  None of these assumptions are meaningful ... you have no clue how many games people are playing over a month, and you're also only focusing on ranked.  This is the biggest error; you have no clue how many people don't complete placements in ranked playlists.  

The average H5 player is not into sweaty ranked games, and judging by the number of service records I've looked at playing 950 games of Warzone, a majority of WZ players barely touch Arena.  Given the new social playlists and new BTB maps, I wouldn't be surprised if even fewer people were finishing their Arena placements (I only did Team Arena placements this past season, no other ranked playlists).

Well said. That's a better way of saying what I said before. 

I don't care for Warzone players since they probably don't watch any esports at all and have no desire to compete. And Warzone settings are so different and out there, that is irrelevant for the development of the next game, unless they decide to say: "fuck it lets go full sellout mode and make only Warzone game with even more micro transactions "

Warzone and req packs are the reason we get free DLC. The quality of the DLC is another argument altogether, but not having to pay for new maps every few months is really nice. Ignoring the benefits of Warzone (the idea of it, not necessarily the benefits of the game type itself) is a bad idea. 

Of course most of us on this site like arena much more than Warzone, but there is a large casual group of players that we can't ignore. Without them, I'm not sure the free DLC model can work. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Warzone and req packs are the reason we get free DLC. The quality of the DLC is another argument altogether, but not having to pay for new maps every few months is really nice. Ignoring the benefits of Warzone (the idea of it, not necessarily the benefits of the game type itself) is a bad idea.

Of course most of us on this site like arena much more than Warzone, but there is a large casual group of players that we can't ignore. Without them, I'm not sure the free DLC model can work.

Becasue it was poorly implemented, THE ONLY REASON People play Warzone is because the EXP/REQ rewards are disproportionately higher than Arena. Hell Arena Assault will give you 1300 for losing a 6 minute game.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Becasue it was poorly implemented, THE ONLY REASON People play Warzone is because the EXP/REQ rewards are disproportionately higher than Arena. Hell Arena Assault will give you 1300 for losing a 6 minute game.

Oh?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1