CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

"To give the Covenant back their bomb" remains to this day one of the most bad ass lines ever uttered in games period, and I still get chills watching that scene.

Nothing in H4/5 has come even close to that. MC from the original trilogy was a fantastic character and there's a reason he's considered one of the most revered characters in gaming. Sometimes less is more with storytelling.

"Tell that to the covenant" line was badass also
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Cortana's "sod off" line in Halo CE trumps anything we've seen or we'll ever see.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 2 was filled with badass 1 liners. Halo 3 less so. After that the writing was so bad I don't want to think about it

• Upvote (+1) 1

Trying to explain to halo reddit people that not having sprint makes doom play fast is like trying to teach calculus to my dog.

The real problem is trying to break the ingrained notion that speed is just that - how fast you move. Disregarding the shooting aspect of the game as being important is a problem, and thats a big thing. The speed of COMBAT is true fast pace.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Also @@Hard Way your Fathom video has made me so much better on it

I used to avoid top mid because it was so exposed until I realized that I needed some trust in my teammates and that there were only two ways up to top mid. Also, playing conservatively has really upped my game as well. I always get really aggressive in this game and die for it A LOT

Bless

• Upvote (+1) 1

Trying to explain to halo reddit people that not having sprint makes doom play fast is like trying to teach calculus to my dog.

I probably spend about four hours of every work day ranting on r/halo.  

It's a tough life, but some things just need to be said.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5's art design in the campaign was top notch aside from a few nitpicks here and there that I have no hope 343 will change.

The encounters, while varied a bit more than Halo 4, were still very bland however. Too much focus on infantry combat. It still feels a step backwards from Reach and 3.

I feel similarly about the soundtrack. It's a great step in the right direction, and some tracks really stand out, but it's still a shadow of Marty's unique, immersive touch. That extends beyond the soundtrack and how it was implemented into the game. I miss the music from a cutscene flowing into gameplay without any cuts, loading, and/or hiccups.

The narrative.. ..well.. ..you know.

As far as Locke goes, he's a pretty terrible character to be honest.

Chief and Noble 6 were the silent, one-liner badass from the get go. They only spoke when absolutely necessary, and typically in the most straightforward, badass way possible. The devs KNEW that trying to make an emotional character out of someone who literally saves the galaxy from space zombies and a religious cult of various alien species, one of which is known for their cuteness/humor more than anything else, wouldn't work well.

Locke isn't that way at all. His character flip-flops like a pancake. There's absolutely no interesting mystery behind him, he's set up in Nightfall as someone who might have to deal with his horrific past(?) but it's never further addressed, his lines are NOT interesting, and overall it just makes him an uninteresting character. He's almost as bad as Tanaka.

I've said my praises with Halo 5's multiplayer, but I have mainly negative thoughts regarding 343i's direction with the campaign.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Locke isn't that way at all. His character flip-flops like a pancake. There's absolutely no interesting mystery behind him, he's set up in Nightfall as someone who might have to deal with his horrific past(?) but it's never further addressed, his lines are NOT interesting, and overall it just makes him an uninteresting character. He's almost as bad as Tanaka.

I think the other guy from nightfall (that ex-spartan) would have made an much more interesting character then Locke

"To give the Covenant back their bomb" remains to this day one of the most bad ass lines ever uttered in games period, and I still get chills watching that scene.

Nothing in H4/5 has come even close to that. MC from the original trilogy was a fantastic character and there's a reason he's considered one of the most revered characters in gaming. Sometimes less is more with storytelling.

Eh, no. When a character's most defining trait in a trilogy are his one liners, mixed with a majority of silence, that is hardly something "fantastic". The Chief was a pretty stereotypical "silent badass" in the original trilogy, with the context behind his general silence and overall actual character being told within the pages of multiple novels, or other media outside of the games.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah so what happened to mission victories not burning until you win?

You should be given them back a little time after the game ends. 

Slightly delayed.

I remember seeing somewhere that the free DLC ends in July and after that 343 will start implementing paid DLC. Is there any truth to this?

I remember seeing somewhere that the free DLC ends in July and after that 343 will start implementing paid DLC. Is there any truth to this?

No. 

The DLC they've announced so far will take us to Summer with the release of Warzone Firefight. It won't be long before they announce the next lot of free DLC.

They made a huge deal about how paid DLC splits the community, they aren't suddenly going to go back on that.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I remember Frankie saying somewhere the date they added to the DLC was just for legal reasons. He did confirm there will be more DLC after that date, and he did confirm there will be support (implying free or paid). I highly doubt it's gonna stop considering the success of REQ's thus far. I can see another team working on this or someone other company because I'm assuming most of 343 is already working on the next game.

I remember Frankie saying somewhere the date they added to the DLC was just for legal reasons. He did confirm there will be more DLC after that date, and he did confirm there will be support (implying free or paid). But I highly doubt it considering the success of REQ's thus far. I can see another team working on this or someone other company because I'm assuming most of 343 is already working on the next game.

xxlAWD4.png

qAc06yh.jpg

xxlAWD4.png

qAc06yh.jpg

I'm surprised people are still concerned about this.

He already said this the month of E3 last year when the content plan was announced.

Chiming in on the remix conversation:

• Regret/Truth: Average change in aesthetic, average change in gameplay
  • Riptide/Fathom: Very little change in aesthetic, large change in gameplay
  • Overgrowth/Plaza: Large change in aesthetic, large change in gameplay
  • Torque/Stasis: Very little change in aesthetic, very little change in gameplay
  • Tyrant/Coliseum: Large change in aesthetic, large change in gameplay
  • Empire/Eden: Barely any change in aesthetic, massive change in gameplay

Stumbled across this while going back and reading as I haven't been in the H5 thread in awhile.

It disgusts me knowing that instead of having 12 completely different fresh maps, we get six maps with each having an average at best remix.

Stumbled across this while going back and reading as I haven't been in the H5 thread in awhile.

It disgusts me knowing that instead of having 12 completely different fresh maps, we get six maps with each having an average at best remix.

There wouldn't be 12 completely fresh maps, though. The whole point of remixes is to push out a new map which plays differently without using half the budget an actual map would.

There wouldn't be 12 completely fresh maps, though. The whole point of remixes is to push out a new map which plays differently without using half the budget an actual map would.

I'd take higher quality new maps being released more slowly over these remixes every month. Higher quality DLC maps would definitely help retain population too.

EDIT: and I don't want a map that plays differently, I want a map that plays good.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'd take higher quality new maps being released more slowly over these remixes every month. Higher quality DLC maps would definitely help retain population too.

EDIT: and I don't want a map that plays differently, I want a map that plays good.

I'll take both, I guess. I'd much rather have Tyrant and Stasis than getting a one-off Arena map that might be terrible like Torque or Overgrowth.

• Upvote (+1) 3