CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Ugh. No because then the H5 campaign's dilemma is nullified

Doing that would be even worse

It would?

Cortana's rampant personality turned most of the universe's AI against humans in an attempt to claim the Mantle. What would be nullified there apart from the fact we were led to believe it was actual Cortana?

It would?

Cortana's rampant personality turned most of the universe's AI against humans in an attempt to claim the Mantle. What would be nullified there apart from the fact we were led to believe it was actual Cortana?

Narrative fulfillment.

You're led to believe Cortana is now the enemy. The plot of Halo 5 and it's dilemma revolve around her turning evil. To explain it away like "oh its just personality" may make sense in universe, but narratively? Its dumb.

Narrative fulfillment.

You're led to believe Cortana is now the enemy. The plot of Halo 5 and it's dilemma revolve around her turning evil. To explain it away like "oh its just personality" may make sense in universe, but narratively? Its dumb.

Gotcha.

I really hope they do tie it up with the whole rampancy stuff from Halo 4, though. She went rampant, she went in the domain, completely lost her fucking mind and think what she's doing now is right for everyone.

I'm excited for the quick time event to kill her in Halo 6, though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly?

Where do you go from here? The plot has now turned to Organics vs Synthetics now, which is so incredibly bland. Master Chief has regressed into faceless soldier again. Blue Team are also not people, and the new characters are also nothing to write home about.

Her army is literally unkillable too considering the Warden can NEVER die if he can replicate himself infinity billion times. The plot is also a mess now that entire character motivations have changed (Palmer is now okay with Halsey? Oh)

Its just a mess

Blue Team from the novels was so much more interesting. 343 somehow managed to get none of their skills or personality conveyed within the game. Why didn't we see Kelly's speed, or Linda's sniping? Smh.

The in-game depiction of Spartans in general has been pretty disappointing throughout the series tbh, besides the Chief and perhaps the opening cinematic of H5. I was very disappointed by Reach's depiction of Spartans, much too similar to regular soldiers. Was so hyped to finally fight alongside other Spartans, instead we got Emile crouch walking across the entire final level while firing his shotgun at distant enemies.  :laugh:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I saw you standing by your ship,

armoured hand on armoured hip

Both my hearts began to pound,

so lovely was what I found

I loved your brightly shining armour

human named, Commander Palmer

:mj:

Enough

Honestly?

Where do you go from here? The plot has now turned to Organics vs Synthetics now, which is so incredibly bland. Master Chief has regressed into faceless soldier again. Blue Team are also not people, and the new characters are also nothing to write home about.

Her army is literally unkillable too considering the Warden can NEVER die if he can replicate himself infinity billion times. The plot is also a mess now that entire character motivations have changed (Palmer is now okay with Halsey? Oh)

Its just a mess

I missed the narrative discussion, but this is exactly the issue (and what I and others have been saying since completing the campaign last year).

The story of Halo 4 was not by any measure phenomenal, but the right seeds were sown for potentially interesting future developments, in particular, John's humanity (especially given the loss of Cortana, and the parallel of issues of individual 'humanity' with those of the species through the tripartite ONI/Covenant/Promethean fiasco - What does it mean to be human? What is the place of humanity in the galaxy?). Those threads have been squandered, and frankly any attempt to progress those in Halo 6: Subtitle will feel out of place narratively, due to the lack of development in Halo 5: Guardians.

Halo 5's story has nullified any interest I had in where the franchise narrative goes; the AI rebellion is simply not interesting.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I thought this was annoying when I played yesterday. Has anyone else got this?

(Far Right)

AoG7VBV.png

I forgot how fucking awful some people are at this game. 

Love when I get them on my team every game against parties. Thanks for no lone wolf playlist still 343  :simms:

(Far Right)

AoG7VBV.png

Screen tearing?

I guess. This was my first time getting it.

Was in constantly like that or just for a quick second?

really is a shame that the story for h5 is as sub par as it ended up being, all that pre release hype written by competent writers...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are the Hannibal vehicles still in the req pool? I spent 200k and didn't get one, and I have heard that others haev spent up to 3mil and not got either of them.

Blue Team from the novels was so much more interesting. 343 somehow managed to get none of their skills or personality conveyed within the game. Why didn't we see Kelly's speed, or Linda's sniping? Smh.

The in-game depiction of Spartans in general has been pretty disappointing throughout the series tbh, besides the Chief and perhaps the opening cinematic of H5. I was very disappointed by Reach's depiction of Spartans, much too similar to regular soldiers. Was so hyped to finally fight alongside other Spartans, instead we got Emile crouch walking across the entire final level while firing his shotgun at distant enemies.  :laugh:

Well we only did have 3 missions with blue team and a handful of cutscenes compared to how much time we spent with Osiris.

(Far Right)

AoG7VBV.png

This BR looks so much more sexy than the standard one - With the scope and everything. 

really is a shame that the story for h5 is as sub par as it ended up being, all that pre release hype written by competent writers...

Same as H4. I was immensely excited after ODST and Reach to finally play as the MC again, with all the extended universe stuff leading up to H4 and "an ancient evil awakens" the hype was real. But then H4 came out and the story was hard to follow, the prometheans were some of the worst enemies I've ever seen and the game ended ended in a cliffhanger. yay.

I haven't even played the H5 campaign, only watched the cutscenes on youtube and it was enough to be honest. 343 wrote themselves into a corner and I imagine it's really hard to get out of the mess that Halo's plot has become.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well we only did have 3 missions with blue team and a handful of cutscenes compared to how much time we spent with Osiris.

The lesson being that you should be careful to not overburden your narrative, in order to avoid neglecting the development of important characters. Blue Team's debut had lots of potential, which this game didn't even come close to fully utilizing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If they want to redeem themselves on this Cortana stuff, they need to come out and say that this is one of her rampant personalities.

please.

That actually sounds cool, and it would be a really neat twist if the "good" Cortana is still with the Gravemind, cue interesting way to re-introduce the flood.

I don't care if he died on High Charity, I would enjoy that twist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That actually sounds cool, and it would be a really neat twist if the "good" Cortana is still with the Gravemind, cue interesting way to re-introduce the flood.

I don't care if he died on High Charity, I would enjoy that twist.

You get a retcon, you get a retcon, everyone gets a retcon!

• Upvote (+1) 4