CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Can someone talk me out of adjusting my sensitivity post-update so that the horizontal/vertical sens match? Is there a reason why I wouldn't want to do that? Obviously I'll have to feel it out, but I'm already headcasing about aim after getting somewhat comfortable playing on 4/4.

Do you trust 343's tuning of the aim to be the best for you?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Embarrassing question, I was pretty young during Halo 3 and Reach so I didn't explore the features that much. But what the fuck actually was a file browser? I know a lot of people here would say that would be the most important thing to returning Halo to its previous popularity and it can remedy the lack of playlists. But what exactly is it?

From what I read it was just some easier way to find game modes. Was there some kind of Filebrowser playlist? Why is that such a big deal?

Embarrassing question, I was pretty young during Halo 3 and Reach so I didn't explore the features that much. But what the fuck actually was a file browser? I know a lot of people here would say that would be the most important thing to returning Halo to its previous popularity and it can remedy the lack of playlists. But what exactly is it?

From what I read it was just some easier way to find game modes. Was there some kind of Filebrowser playlist? Why is that such a big deal?

It was a way to very easily search for and download maps, gametypes, screenshots, and films to your console without leaving the game. So you could search "Race" and get a list of race maps, download like ten of them and jump straight in to try them out.

I was literally typing in the name of Quake maps during Reach and finding multiple remakes of each, it was amazing. I still have amazing gametype/map collections for both H3 and Reach on my 360.

Also had Bungie favorites, which was a prominently displayed selection of exceptional content that Bungie wanted to promote to the larger community.

Think of it like a search engine for new content, all without leaving the game.

Lol how young are you? I thought i was young during reach. Its pretty important allowes you to easily spread maps and gametypes and pictures and clips

It was a way to very easily search for and download maps, gametypes, screenshots, and films to your console without leaving the game. So you could search "Race" and get a list of race maps, download like ten of them and jump straight in to try them out.

I was literally typing in the name of Quake maps during Reach and finding multiple remakes of each, it was amazing. I still have amazing gametype/map collections for both H3 and Reach on my 360.

Also had Bungie favorites, which was a prominently displayed selection of exceptional content that Bungie wanted to promote to the larger community.

Was there some way to host a game with that mode and have random people join or you needed to have friends?

Offering players different ways to play the game is fine (CS:GO offers tons of UGC tools to players), but presenting them and making them a staple part of the game's identity is not.

Fundamentally, I think the problem with this is the notion that the competitive "eSports" niche has ever really been the series' core identity, or really intended to be. It's a niche just like anything else and, frankly, I think 343 has failed to embrace it in a far more fundamental way than acknowledging wildly popular modes like Grifball and Infection as staple Halo experiences (which, to be frank, they are at this point). If we're worried about the "competitive identity" of Halo, I would think that having universal settings that aren't clogged up with shitty compromises with "casual" Halo would be a much bigger priority than goofy, niche modes that play nothing like core Halo at all.

Halo's audience is already extremely diverse. You aren't going to change that by lumping everything into one big mess of pseudo-competitive, "modern" Halo settings and de-emphasizing the social experiences that Halo's unprecedented customization in the console space allowed for. It would be like making the next Smash Bros. game compromised competitive settings by default. Sure, it has a small, dedicated competitive community, but it's fundamentally a game that most people play to dick around and just have fun. And the competitive community still wants to disable items.

• Upvote (+1) 5

DarK souls is very relevant to this discussion.

DS's MP is as free form/natural as you will ever find. It just has items that allow MP interaction. There are no menus, playlists, settings, etc.

It's all up to the player and the players have essentially created "default" MP and a more competitive pvp section.

If you want normal pvp you just invade and play the game how the devs made it. But then there are also fight clubs where more competitive dark souls pvpers go and play with honour rules were you only fight 1v1. There is no healing. Sometimes some weapons are outlawed. Etc

This is the perfect example of the need for separate default and comp settings. In a natural, free form, player driven game, comp settings will form.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol how young are you? I thought i was young during reach. Its pretty important allowes you to easily spread maps and gametypes and pictures and clips

Never had a 360 during Halo 3 through so all my experience was at my neighbours house. Reach was my first main halo game on my own 360, around 15 at the time I think?All I did was play slayer cuz I really wanted Emiles helmet. Never even knew about infection and all that jazz till a year later lmao 

Rocket League also has Doubles.

You are using the word Doubles arbitrarily. Rocket League maintains the same core formula but just varies its player counts from 2-6 players, whereas every Halo playlist and mode is vastly different from the others. My argument is that the game can't be spread too thin.

But the game was most successful when it was presented that way. People went "holy crap, look at the things you can do in that game, look at how crazy it is, damn it's also played competitively." That was why Halo 3 stayed in our disc trays for months at a time.

Having casual lists gets people playing and learning the game, which in turn gets them into the more competitive modes.

There is a difference between offer customizability and options and making it a core pillar of the game. Hence why I encourage as many modes as possible to rotate in as niche playlists or be available to Forge or use in Custom Games, but when the core game ships or is updated with a slew of permanent, extremely varied experiences, it's not good for the game.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Was there some way to host a game with that mode and have random people join or you needed to have friends?

Nope, that would be a server browser (ex, you search HCS FFA and get a list of lobbies hosting that gametype). That's something people have been asking for since the H2/H3 era, because of how amazing the customs scene was for those games.

I doubt it will ever happen though, because there is no way to effectively provide quality control for that sort of thing (343 won't even allow custom forge maps into MM without two months of testing), and because it would drain the population of matchmaking.

You are using the word Doubles arbitrarily. Rocket League maintains the same core formula but just varies its player counts from 2-6 players, whereas every Halo playlist and mode is vastly different from the others. My argument is that the game can't be spread too thin.

I think you may be mistaking my not terribly subtle jab at the lack of Doubles in this game for something it isn't. Though, on reflection, it is interesting how Halo 5's core formula pretty much just breaks down when you have anything more or less than 2 teams of 4 players.

Halo 3's File Browser was a simple tool where you could just go to someone's gamercard (Like Xbox Live Gamercard/Profile), a little button showed up that said View File Browser and download gametypes/clips/screenshots/maps. You could also just click on their name if they were in the lobby with you and you can view their File Share as well. It literally took about 5 seconds to go to someone's File Share and download a bunch of gametypes/clips/screenshots/maps. It was a simple tool, but it was damn near flawless.

You hear it come up a lot on these forums because it's a feature that was practically perfect and came with Xbox Friends List integration. Furthermore, the file sharing we have today is probably 100x worse. What I meant by Friends List integration I mean, if you were on Halo 3, and you opened up your Friends List through the dashboard (It was called the Guide Menu back then) then it would add a couple Menu items like "View Service Record" "View File Browser" and I could've sworn it was another one like "Send a file" or something. These menus didn't show up if you weren't on the game though, so it was really cool to have.

Today you have to add that person, restart the game (well at least I do because they don't show up on my in game friends list until I restart the game or play a match or two), find their gamertag in the list and download it from their File Browser there. The way it's set up is pretty awful compared to Halo 3's.

Another cool thing about the File Share was that in Halo 3 there was a menu called "Bungie's Favorites" this was updated pretty frequently (Monthly?/Weekly? It's been a long time I forget), and it would add 5 of Bungie's favorite Screenshots, Clips, Maps, and Gametypes in each section respectively. It was pretty damn cool to constantly have fun gametypes to download and play with your friends.

Pretty much covers why you keep hearing about it, pretty much the same premise as most of our problems with 343. We've been used to quality features for a long time and we hate that we can't have them back lol. Even in the pre-game lobby for matchmaking you could look at File Shares and take a look at some cool screenshots before the game started. It was pretty neat man, it's been a highly regarded feature since it was introduced.

Edit: Haha I keep editing this post because I keep remembering all the additional things you can do lol. Jesus our file share sucks now. You could also go here on Bungie.net for example:

https://halo.bungie.net/online/communityfiles.aspx

And you could just look at the most popular clips/maps/gametypes/screenshots and then you could download them from the computer, then the next time you turned on your Halo 3, it would automatically download all the files you queued via the website and it was very quick too. So let's say you were looking for "MLG" gametypes but didn't know where to look, you can go to that link, type in "MLG" and the most popular MLG related content will appear. You can type whatever in, obstacle courses, octagon, whatever. Yeah, having a File Browser is pretty damn significant.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I think redundancy is the bigger problem with this game. Too many lists doing the same thing, not enough stand-alone unique lists where all the iteration can be focused upon one set of design goals. We have this approach where every design tweak needs to work with every single playlist, which is never going to lead to the best experience possible in any one playlist.

Embrace the fact that different lists do different things, and offer hyper refined experiences in each list. Quality and variety, we shouldn't be afraid of gamers getting overwhelmed by unique gameplay experiences within the ecosystem.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My idea for my shooter is to have radar get activated by the left analog stick click. 

You click it, and you send out a small pulse, and everyone withing range will be mapped to your radar. Yes, you will have to click it often but that is the point. I believe that is the trick to getting people to play your game. To give them a reason to do something no matter where you are in the game. I believe that is the real reason for success of sprint. Because even though no one is around, you still click a button and get immersed into the game. In games where players doesn't have sprint, they will often just shoot, or pummel right out in the air for no other reason than nothing is happening. For many that will obviously feel pointless, but sprint doesn't.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My idea for my shooter is to have radar get activated by the left analog stick click. 

You click it, and you send out a small pulse, and everyone withing range will be mapped to your radar. Yes, you will have to click it often but that is the point. I believe that is the trick to getting people to play your game. To give them a reason to do something no matter where you are in the game. I believe that is the real reason for success of sprint. Because even though no one is around, you still click a button and get immersed into the game. In games where players doesn't have sprint, they will often just shoot, or pummel right out in the air for no other reason than nothing is happening. For many that will obviously feel pointless, but sprint doesn't.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's no mention of the vertical/horizontal sensitivity options... can anyone confirm if they're present?

They are. Difference is noticeable immediately.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Any kind of radar is the worst idea you have heard in your life time, so that kind of discredits your opinion on the mechanic itself. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

There's no REQ items in forge, including the new Recon DMR. So take that as you will.