CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So, anyone up for some Beyond Infection "playdates"? Customs, or in actual multiplayer, party caps permitting? Should certainly be fun to set up!

Count me in!

Reminds me of our old Warzone "playdates.'

Now compare that to the maps that were in Halo 3 at launch vs the maps in Halo 5 at launch.

Construct

Epitaph

Guardian

High Ground

Isolation

Narrows

Snowbound

The Pit

Last Resort

Valhalla

Sandtrap

Coliseum

Eden

Empire

Fathom

Plaza

Regret

The Rig

Truth

Breakout Arena - (Altitude, Crossfire, Gambol, Trench, Trident)

Alpine - (Pegasus, Orion)

Escape from A.R.C.

March on Stormbreak

Raid on Apex 7

I've bolded the maps I think were good, left maps I thought were okay untouched, italicized below average maps, and put outright BAD maps in underlined italics.

(If you're wondering why The Pit is in Italics, two reasons: 1) The map was shit for Slayer, and 2) the Launch version of the map had the attics open. It took an update to make the map playable.)

Well this is all highly subjective but the majority of people would probably rate

H3

Construct

Guardian

Narrows

Valhalla

Pit

Narrows

Sandtrap

H5

Truth

Coliseum

Fathom

As the "good" maps

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well this is all highly subjective but the majority of people would probably rate

H3

Construct

Guardian

Narrows

Valhalla

Pit

Narrows

Sandtrap

H5

Truth

Coliseum

Fathom

As the "good" maps

Dunno if it was intentional, but you listed Narrows twice.

Count me in!

Reminds me of our old Warzone "playdates.'

:3 Gotta get peeps in, then.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone remind me again why map remixes are even a thing?

Maps today are built from some kind of black magic apparently.

Everyone knows that one next gen map is as good as three old gen maps though, so it all works out thankfully  :kappa:

Chiming in on the remix conversation:

• Regret/Truth: Average change in aesthetic, average change in gameplay
  • Riptide/Fathom: Very little change in aesthetic, large change in gameplay
  • Overgrowth/Plaza: Large change in aesthetic, large change in gameplay
  • Torque/Stasis: Very little change in aesthetic, very little change in gameplay
  • Tyrant/Coliseum: Large change in aesthetic, large change in gameplay
  • Empire/Eden: Barely any change in aesthetic, massive change in gameplay
A remix is fine in my books as long as they dramatically change the visuals and the gameplay. Obviously I want the map to actually play well but that's an entirely different topic. Complaining about the reuse of assets isn't connected to bad map design IMO

I don't think the conversation should be about how much changed aestically or gameplay wise. The conversation should be about whether being forced to make a map out of an already existing map caused most remixes to be terrible maps or not.

Reusing assets can most definitely lead to poor map design imo as it is severely limiting to the map creator.

Is there a link where I can see these new forge textures action? I haven't been able to look yet.

Is there a link where I can see these new forge textures action? I haven't been able to look yet.

1 hour 35 min

• Upvote (+1) 1

I find it completely bizarre how the forge guys are light years ahead of the rest of 343.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Dice talking Battlefield 1.

"We're calling it Battlefield 1 for a couple reasons. First off, we've never had a Battlefield 1 before. We started with Battlefield 1942, and went from there. But in the same way, we're also titling it this way because we're going back to our roots. We're bringing back that Battlefield flavour, with sandbox maps and wide open places for you to play. We're seeing how we can take our roots and make them something new again in 2016."

Look 343, a new industry trend. Go, go. Copy something good for once.

Don't jump on the BF so fast or did you forget the disaster of BF4. These are console developers they have no clue how to make games.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I find it completely bizarre how the forge guys are light years ahead of the rest of 343.

They probably hired more people that didn't like Halo because of X reasons.

Dice talking Battlefield 1.

"We're calling it Battlefield 1 for a couple reasons. First off, we've never had a Battlefield 1 before. We started with Battlefield 1942, and went from there. But in the same way, we're also titling it this way because we're going back to our roots. We're bringing back that Battlefield flavour, with sandbox maps and wide open places for you to play. We're seeing how we can take our roots and make them something new again in 2016."

Look 343, a new industry trend. Go, go. Copy something good for once.

Look how boring and slow this looks without sprint! 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Don't jump on the BF so fast or did you forget the disaster of BF4. These are console developers they have no clue how to make games.

Battlefield 4 was a great game in my opinion and the Battlefield 1 trailer looks amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrvBD4aTGY

It's almost as if a faster base movement and bigger FoV make the game feel faster without the need of sprint and fucking up the core gameplay! Who would have EVER thought???
  • Upvote (+1) 3

BF4 at launch was terrible. It is now the best BF game to date by far. Imagine if the MCC got fixed like BF4 did. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't understand why they're taking griffball out as a permanent playlist. 

Can all these playlists not fucking exist at the same time... Is fragmenting the community even a real argument? I don't see how having Griffball and Infection existing at the same time would affect their population to the point where you cannot find players fast and reliably enough. r/halo has a lot of complaints about this so hopefully the backlash will keep griffball in.

BF4 at launch was terrible. It is now the best BF game to date by far. Imagine if the MCC got fixed like BF4 did. 

I just updated the game recently, it's allways surprising to see how far they have come and what they added since the game released

That comes out tonight does it not?

I'll probably pick it up.

The fact that there are no reviews is kind of sketchy though.

I don't understand why they're taking griffball out as a permanent playlist. 

Can all these playlists not fucking exist at the same time... Is fragmenting the community even a real argument? I don't see how having Griffball and Infection existing at the same time would affect their population to the point where you cannot find players fast and reliably enough. r/halo has a lot of complaints about this so hopefully the backlash will keep griffball in.

I'm sure population divide is a fair argument, but the reason I hate Infection/Grifball/Action Sack being permanent playlists is that it takes away from the competitive identity of the game.

When people think of League of Legends or CS:GO, you automatically have an image of what the game is, what it looks and feels like (and this image is cemented even further by eSports). When people play Halo, they can think of Race, Machinima, Action Sack, Grifball, Infection, BTB, Warzone, HCS, etc.

Bungie dug us a grave for the game's image by supporting these niches, and now people are conditioned to expect the full developer treatment to support their favorite bits and pieces of the game.

I'm personally very happy that they are going to be removing Grifball. Not because I don't like the mode (I love playing it when it's rotational and treated as a unique niche experience), but because it alongside Infection would detract from the game's image as a whole.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

lol

That is the game's image. Multi faceted, customisable Halo. Halo is not LoL or CS GO. Hell, no console shooter will ever be. 

It's funny because before I submitted that post I had a line predicting that you would say that  :lxthul:

And that's why the game is never going to be what it could potentially be. Without a cohesive vision and identity, the game will always have wedges driven through its population.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3