CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Different video, but same

(also I had a clever gif, but i don't know how to post it, anyone know how to help a brother out)

Just post it like an image. Unless of course, it's over 5 MB.

I'm sorry man but you literally have the wrong opinion.

I'm not even kidding lol.

The opinion that more people disliked H4 because it was called Halo or the opinion that H4 is actually a decent game?

The first one is arguable I guess although I think it's fairly reasonable considering a large number of complaints about H4 seem to be based on what should and shouldn't be in a Halo game.

Correct but imagine you took a guy who's best strength in soccer and then told him to make suggestions for a game like baseball

I respect @@TiberiusAudley for what he does but I think him being more inclined to BTB style gameplay isn't the best route for 4v4 competitive if ya feel me

Have you watched any of his analysis videos? The guy knows what he's talking about.

Just post it like an image. Unless of course, it's over 50(?) MB.

Correct but imagine you took a guy who's best strength in soccer and then told him to make suggestions for a game like baseball

I respect @@TiberiusAudley for what he does but I think him being more inclined to BTB style gameplay isn't the best route for 4v4 competitive if ya feel me

Kudos for actually tagging him and not talking shit behind his back.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The opinion that more people disliked H4 because it was called Halo or the opinion that H4 is actually a decent game?

The first one is arguable I guess although I think it's fairly reasonable considering a large number of complaints about H4 seem to be based on what should and shouldn't be in a Halo game.

Have you watched any of his analysis videos? The guy knows what he's talking about.

He knows what the current game plays like...of course.

I take issue with a lot of his suggestions to improve the game and what his vision is for the competitive 4v4 side versus mine.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Kudos for actually tagging him and not talking shit behind his back.

Now I am shit talking him to his face! :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey man, at least the gun's shot straight in Halo 4.

Can't say that about THE BEST GAME IN THE HALO FRANCHISE.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yea the spread on the CE pistol was trash :kappa:
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Yea the spread on the CE pistol was trash :kappa:

Too bad we all know what a lot of peoples first impression of the "Best Halo Game" is.*cough 3 cough*

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 4's BR had more spread than Halo 3's.

You don't have to be super MLG pro to have a good understanding of a game. See: nearly every sports analyst on ESPN, CBS Sports, etc

Not what I meant.

Plus sports analysts are just for TV it's not like a team or players would take what they say seriously.

Edit: You know what, it's not worth it. I've been down this road too many times, some people just can't accept that subjective opinions aren't facts. 

Says the guy who says people are not allowed to have the opinion that H4 is a bad game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Nothing, and I mean nothing, was redeeming about Halo 4.  Not the multiplayer mechanics, not the story, not the writing, certainly not the soundtrack, not the UI, not the forge, not the theatre, not the post game DLC, not the post game support with patches, not the matchmaking playlists, not the physics engine, not the weapon sandbox, nothing.

Actually...let me take that back.

I liked the voice actor for the Didact.  That's all.

https://youtu.be/3cIFNDy2zDM?t=82

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yet tiberiusaudley, who is considered by some to be an intelligent analyst, thinks they are good for the game. I never thought I'd be in the minority in a competitive halo forum for thinking that spawning with a strong AR is bad for the game

I don't think you're in the minority at all. I think it's safe to say my opinions regarding autos are definitely the minority among the competitive scene .

My ability to analyze gameplay that already exists is separate from my opinions regarding the design of the Halo weapon sandbox, and, although my opinions/defense of the default settings are definitely against "good logic" -- they don't reflect my opinions for an ideal design for the Halo franchise. I just avoid talking about those opinions on here surrounded by circular logic and essentially barking at the moon toward 343 regarding changes that will likely never see the light of day anyway.

I like autos. They are more skillful than people realize. But I don't think their design is ideal, nor do I think they are balanced. But that imbalance doesn't spell "the end of the world" to me, and I think a large part of their skill in the context of Halo 5 ties into the game's mobility. Thruster usage and number of trigger pulls determine the outcome of an auto battle. Not just randomness. So I don't think their existence is the end of the world.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

In an ideally designed game, the core gameplay between 8v8 and 4v4 gameplay would be the same general gameplay design, with the differences being maps / presence of vehicles.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think you're in the minority at all. I think it's safe to say my opinions regarding autos are definitely the minority among the competitive scene .

My ability to analyze gameplay that already exists is separate from my opinions regarding the design of the Halo weapon sandbox, and, although my opinions/defense of the default settings are definitely against "good logic" -- they don't reflect my opinions for an ideal design for the Halo franchise. I just avoid talking about those opinions on here surrounded by circular logic and essentially barking at the moon toward 343 regarding changes that will likely never see the light of day anyway.

I like autos. They are more skillful than people realize. But I don't think their design is ideal, nor do I think they are balanced. But that imbalance doesn't spell "the end of the world" to me, and I think a large part of their skill in the context of Halo 5 ties into the game's mobility. Thruster usage and number of trigger pulls determine the outcome of an auto battle. Not just randomness. So I don't think their existence is the end of the world.

I mean number of trigger pulls supposedly determined the outcome in Reach DMR battles too. But that doesn't stop someone from firing at max fire rate and still winning fights. And that happens a lot more frequently in this game.

Also, how do autos take more skill than people realize? Do you mean in Halo 5 or the idea of an auto in general? Why do you like autos so much?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Spartan charge. Everyone's favorite new mechanic. I feel that the easiest way to "fix" this issue without too much work is to just not allow you to use it if you get shot (like not being able to start sprinting while taking damage). Of course, in an ideal world it would have no magnetism at all but hey.

In an ideally designed game, the core gameplay between 8v8 and 4v4 gameplay would be the same general gameplay design, with the differences being maps / presence of vehicles.

Of course

The issue is your vision of that and mine don't sync up

I do agree with you it's very simple and repetitive when you listen to it on its own. But for me the first time I heard Arrival was when I played the last section of the last mission of Halo 4, and honesty it's meld's BRILLIANTLY with whats actually going on on an emotional level. In general Halo 4's music hit a different tone than previous Halo's did. Thats why I really enjoy Halo 5's OST because it blends this style with the older Halo's, and we get a whole array of different musical tones to accompany the campaign. 

The only other sound tracks I liked was 117( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzIJV8XrCEIto Halo 5 in the remix really well) and Lasky (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWm-a5Pdfhs ) Did you enjoy those?

The point you made about the drums not sounding real is a very interesting one, and its a major problem I feel Halo 4 has in regards to sound design, and I really don't know how to explain it. There was a very artificial "weird" feel to a lot of the sound effects, plasma pistol, battle rifle etc... all sounded really messed up and non-existent. I really don't know what it is.

If I had to compare Halo 4's overall soundtrack to previous Halo's, only a couple of them would be able to stand up. But in comparison games in general, I feel it's like in the top crowd.

It's cool how a certain moment in a game combined with the right music can add up to more than the sum of their parts. Didn't happen to me personally with that last section of Halo 4, but I can see how it did for you.

Those two tracks are certainly highlights (Kazuma Jinnouchi was already setting himself apart). My main issue with them is how similar they sound to blockbuster film soundtracks. Neither of them would sound out of place during the outro to a Marvel film. Similar techniques, instruments, themes that evoke the military and heroism...very well done, but not the sounds that made Halo what it was during the first three games.

On the one hand, that's high praise, as those film's soundtracks are generally excellent. But for me, original trilogy Halo music is so utterly unique, iconic, and recognizable, that I find it very hard to speak about the new music in positive terms. I don't know if anyone other than Marty could really have carried that legacy forward...but it still doesn't change the fact that something is missing in both H4's and H5's soundtrack.

If I were to guess as to the source of the oddness in H4's (and arguably H5's) sounds, it's that like the everything else in the game, the complexity has been pushed hard. For example, compare the melee sounds between the OG trilogy games and 343's games. Much more of the sound effect is superfluous, and it blends more into the mix instead of cutting through to the player. I also find that 343's effects cause ear fatigue much more quickly for this reason.  But like you said, there is likely something less tangible going on as well that gives the newer sounds that feeling.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 4 Doubles with Slayer Pro settings is some of the most fun I've had playing Halo.

It didn't last long, but it was amazing when it was an option.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 4 Doubles with Slayer Pro settings is some of the most fun I've had playing Halo.

I'll second that. Quality balance of Forge and Dev maps, clean sandbox, online ranks if you cared (but good skill matching nonetheless)

Excited to see what H5 Doubles brings to the table.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll second that. Quality balance of Forge and Dev maps, clean sandbox, online ranks if you cared (but good skill matching nonetheless)

Excited to see what H5 Doubles brings to the table.

Agreed to both.  Even with sprint and no descope, H4 2v2 with the Slayer Pro settings was good fun.  I'd take H4 Slayer Pro over H3 dubs and it's horrible shot registration and equipment everywhere, or Reach's no stopping power sprint + no bleed through melees, and Jetpacks.  

Vanilla H4 deserves every bit of hate it gets around here, but that Turbo update made the game pretty damn fun in the end.

Edit:  Also @, the vid is done.  Just waiting for upload.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1