Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I wouldn't for a few reasons:

Campaign wouldn't be shit

Split screen

Content at launch

Better community features

Better maps

Game will work as advertised

Let the esports crowd forge their own maps and settings instead of making us live with RADAR

Only problem is we might have a bloom utility.

Your only argument that 343 is better is that they keep improving... Except they've had a step backwards with every release until halo 5 and that's only because both h4 and mcc hit rock bottom and it would have been really hard to be possibly worse.

As far as gameplay goes, H5 is a lot better than where Bungie was taking us. Bungie consistently showed a fundamental lack of understanding of what made Halo good, and they were arrogant as hell about it too. It was like talking to a wall. They did not give a shit what we thought.

H4 sucked ass, but it got WAY better after the turbo update. The changes they made gave me hope they they kind of get it. H5 was another step in the right direction, and it continues to improve as well.

With the backlash they received about splitscreen, I think it will be back for H6. And I still think we could get radar removed in Team Arena if we were actually unified and loud about it. We did get Breakout removed. We can get radar removed too. And the type of persuasion that 343 has already shown themselves to be receptive to, that's the exact shit that Bungie NEVER would listen to. In fact, they would proudly ignore it, right @@TTUVAPOR? Right @@chaosTheory?

• Upvote (+1) 3

It had an amazing story (best in series) it actually had a good amount of content to play, the game actually worked which is hard to come by lately. The graphics were top notch for the 360. The gameplay was actually fun if you were drunk or forgot it was a Halo game.

I disagree. It's a terrible mesh of cod and halo that doesn't work because it's so frustrating that people can run away all the time. And it's too random.

It had an amazing story (best in series) it actually had a good amount of content to play, the game actually worked which is hard to come by lately. The graphics were top notch for the 360. The gameplay was actually fun if you were drunk or forgot it was a Halo game.

Gameplay was fun if drunk.

This is true of any game. Hell, it's pretty much true for every...thing.

There was an empire strongholds game between optic and renegades that was, without exaggeration, probably at least 60% auto fights. People in the HCS thread (including at least one pro player) could only talk about how great and exciting the gameplay was because the score was close while all I saw was a clusterfuck of people jumping into a stronghold with ARs. I don't know whether most of the people who are against this crap have left as @@Cooper said or if people have such a sense of brand loyalty to Halo that they don't care if the gameplay suffers as long as the game is popular. Either way, this might not be the website (or game) for me anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lets be real here. Lack of splitscreen was 100% Xboxs fault for making a completely shit console that can't handle a split screen Halo 5.

• Downvote (-1) 6

Gameplay was fun if drunk.

This is true of any game. Hell, it's pretty much true for every...thing.

Do I sense some bad memories of being drunk?

As far as gameplay goes, H5 is a lot better than where Bungie was taking us. Bungie consistently showed a fundamental lack of understanding of what made Halo good, and they were arrogant as hell about it too. It was like talking to a wall. They did not give a shit what we thought.

H4 sucked ass, but it got WAY better after the turbo update. The changes they made gave me hope they they kind of get it. H5 was another step in the right direction, and it continues to improve as well.

With the backlash they received about splitscreen, I think it will be back for H6. And I still think we could get radar removed in Team Arena if we were actually unified and loud about it. We did get Breakout removed. We can get radar removed too. And the type of persuasion that 343 has already shown themselves to be receptive to, that's the exact shit that Bungie NEVER would listen to. In fact, they would proudly ignore it, right @TTU Vapor? Right @@Chaos theory?

Bungie didn't listen to us during development, but they also didn't force settings down our throat. We came up with our own and they begrudgingly put it into a playlist.

343 refuses to put in a classic style playlist. Even COD has that.... Pathetic.

EDIT: they also didn't force sprint in as an always on ability. You might argue that they were going to, but they considered it for halo 2 and chose not to. I think they understand halo a little better than you give them credit for. Not as much as hardy lebel did, but a little.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lets be real here. Lack of splitscreen was 100% Xboxs fault for making a completely shit console that can't handle a split screen Halo 5.

Erm, no.

It's Halo's 343's fault for having the game rely on a steady 60FPS.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Erm, no.

It's Halo's 343's fault for having the game rely on a steady 60FPS.

Lets say 50/50 then.

I'd still take 60fps over SS any day.

Lets say 50/50 then.

I'd still take 60fps over SS any day.

Oh, so would I. But there should have been split-screen running at 30FPS. 

I think Mario Kart did this.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I don't know if they're shills so much as they're just the people that are left. It stands to reason that most people who are very against those things just are not around to be heard anymore.

343 is in full blown delusion/cover up mode about population figures though so waiting for them to realise that they've scared off the vast majority of potential players is pretty much a lost cause. They seem content to bask in the tiny echo chamber they've built for themselves.

343 is in an echo chamber but MS is not. Eventually they will look at the numbers and say this series has irreversiblely tanked ever since 343 came in. Even though MS is greedy and doesn't understand halo I think they might eventually realize 343s direction and incompetence is not selling. I would not be surprised if halo 5 was a net loss.

Bungie didn't listen to us during development, but they also didn't force settings down our throat. We came up with our own and they begrudgingly put it into a playlist.

EDIT: they also didn't force sprint in as an always on ability. You might argue that they were going to, but they considered it for halo 2 and chose not to. I think they understand halo a little better than you give them credit for. Not as much as hardy lebel did, but a little.

They also didn't give two shits about the higher end of their game's gameplay, to include tournaments. So when they inevitably make a garbage game (Reach) and no one wants to play it, and they're not hosting their own tournaments, then we're left with shit like AGL and Iron Gaming. It's like people forget that MLG dropped Halo because Bungie made such a shitty game.

So yeah, right now we have to deal with radar and autos. But that's because we have a dev that is very hands on with their game's tournament scene, which is alive and well for a change. Don't forget that. It beats the hell out of AGL doesn't it? Where are Destiny's tournaments btw? And this dev has shown to be receptive to feedback, so I'm confident that we can eventually get better settings.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Mario Kart 8 only does it on 3 and 4 player split, and doesn't let you go online with more than 2 players.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Mario Kart 8 only does it on 3 and 4 player split, and doesn't let you go online with more than 2 players.

Stable two player 60FPS?

There was an empire strongholds game between optic and renegades that was, without exaggeration, probably at least 60% auto fights. People in the HCS thread (including at least one pro player) could only talk about how great and exciting the gameplay was because the score was close while all I saw was a clusterfuck of people jumping into a stronghold with ARs. I don't know whether most of the people who are against this crap have left as @@Cooper said or if people have such a sense of brand loyalty to Halo that they don't care if the gameplay suffers as long as the game is popular. Either way, this might not be the website (or game) for me anymore.

I feel you, but please don't go. MRW if you leave.

vPD5S87.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know if they're shills so much as they're just the people that are left. It stands to reason that most people who are very against those things just are not around to be heard anymore.

343 is in full blown delusion/cover up mode about population figures though so waiting for them to realise that they've scared off the vast majority of potential players is pretty much a lost cause. They seem content to bask in the tiny echo chamber they've built for themselves.

They are paying good money for that echo chamber. Paying the "pro team", putting millions of dollars into the competitive scene, and some people prefer to have a competitive scene to a proper Halo game. Even though that "competitive scene" is just an illusion, a bubble like the SC2 bubble that burst and half the community went to shit.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

I give them reasonable doubt that they tried to make Halo 5 split screen but they bit off more than they could chew. So when it was time to cut it they had to because they didn't want to remake the engine. Could be wrong. Maybe @@Lazerbeard could tell us.

And yet I can play it on Blops 3. A multi plat game that undoutabley had far less optimisation for xb1 than h5 did.

I give them reasonable doubt that they tried to make Halo 5 split screen but they bit off more than they could chew. So when it was time to cut it they had to because they didn't want to remake the engine. Could be wrong. Maybe @@Lazerbeard could tell us.

No doubt. They said it was in like before/after the beta in January 2015 and then closer to launch, it wasn't in.

Because Bungie wasn't churning the big moneys into the competitive scene, they had no horse in the race, the issue now is that we have to suck 343 dick because no other company is going to invest in competitive Halo.

No doubt. They said it was in like before/after the beta in January 2015 and then closer to launch, it wasn't in.

I remember them also saying that it would be in multiplayer but they couldn't get it to work in Campaign. They obviously tried to make it work but built themselves into a corner.

And yet I can play it on Blops 3. A multi plat game that undoutabley had far less optimisation for xb1 than h5 did.

Like I'm saying to Moa. Its a mix of blame. Xbox made a underpowered console and 343 bit off more than they could chew.

They also didn't give two shits about the higher end of their game's gameplay, to include tournaments. So when they inevitably make a garbage game (Reach) and no one wants to play it, and they're not hosting their own tournaments, then we're left with shit like AGL and Iron Gaming. It's like people forget that MLG dropped Halo because Bungie made such a shitty game.

So yeah, right now we have to deal with radar and autos. But that's because we have a dev that is very hands on with their game's tournament scene, which is alive and well for a change. Don't forget that. It beats the hell out of AGL doesn't it? Where are Destiny's tournaments btw? And this dev has shown to be receptive to feedback, so I'm confident that we can eventually get better settings.

I personally don't care that the tourney scene is surviving because it is so uninteresting to watch. I'd rather watch MLG settings vanilla reach tbh. I'm not saying I want to, just choosing between shit and piss basically. That's how bad it is.

PS forgot to mention how bad H5 aiming is. Though bungie are not strangers to that, they learned from it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think eventually we will have a classic playlist. Unfortunately, like everything 343 does, it will just take absolutely forever.

No, Bungie didn't make sprint a permanent ability. They just put Bubbleshields and Dropshields in Oddball and King of the Hill. They just let you disarm the bomb while in Armor Lock. They just let you sprint up and melee twice because melees didn't do bleed through damage and there was no stopping power against sprint. They just let you get one kill and camp space on Zealot. They just put a banshee on Team Rifles on Ascension. They just put plasma pistols everywhere in H2. They just put a HORRIBLE weapon respawn system in H2 and H3. They just let you spawn with a shotgun or a grenade launcher in Invasion. I could go on and on about how they didn't know what was good for the game.

• Upvote (+1) 4