CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Me checking out this thread for the first time in months:  :wutface:  :apg:  :wutface:  :apg:  :wutface:  :apg:

I like this game  :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 3

The only way the aiming problem can gain a serious traction is if the pros tweet about it, or something.

• Downvote (-1) 1

What do you not understand about this having nothing to do with what we are discussing?

It doesn't matter at all if most player's average killtime in h1 is similar to h2- it doesn't change the fact that the fastest possible kill you can achieve in h2 is double that of h1.

That is a fundamental difference in pacing, and it has nothing to do with the average player's ability to kill opponents at the fastest possible killtime.

I understand and this is largly a semantics debate. I know many things can effect pacing. I just don't see pacing changes as something that fits into my defintion of a "fundemental" element of the game.

Me checking out this thread for the first time in months:  :wutface:  :apg:  :wutface:  :apg:  :wutface:  :apg:

I like this game  :mj:

It's weird how much the general opinion in this thread differs to almost everywhere else. Even in the HCS thread the majority of people seem to like the game.

It's my favourite Halo (and by extension one of my favourite games).

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's weird how much the general opinion in this thread differs to almost everywhere else. Even in the HCS thread the majority of people seem to like the game.

The HCS thread seems to be the only mostly positive place. Other than waypoint and reddit but they don't really count since they both actively push away people who are not positive about the game.

Either way most of these places are big time echo chambers because at this point the only people who do not like 343 Halo that have stuck around are masochists and incredibly dedicated people.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The HCS thread seems to be the only mostly positive place. Other than waypoint and reddit but they don't really count since they both actively push away people who are not positive about the game.

Either way most of these places are big time echo chambers because at this point the only people who do not like 343 Halo that have stuck around are masochists and incredibly dedicated people.

I like to think I'm the ladder on that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think I was one of the reasons that the Arena Settings Thread was made, because I would not shut up about radar in the HCS thread. Now I just usually come here, and just read peoples thoughts, and ideas on how the perfect Halo could be made.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5 built an eSports scene from literally nothing. Regardless of the quality of the game, people will always be positive about that. If 343 did the same thing for Halo 4 the reception would be the same, but even then 343 have managed to mess up a lot of HCS's aspects.

When you're invested in a sport, the quality of the game itself is not nearly as important as the sport's scene. Halo is having a scene revival right now, and that's what really matters to us. Something to really be hyped about.

But remember: People who don't like 343's take on Halo and it's competetive scene have already left, their voice isn't really around to be heard.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I like to think I'm the ladder on that.

I'd like to think that I am the former.  :apg:

Halo 5 built an eSports scene from literally nothing. Regardless of the quality of the game, people will always be positive about that. If 343 did the same thing for Halo 4 the reception would be the same, but even then 343 have managed to mess up a lot of HCS's aspects.

When you're invested in a sport, the quality of the game itself is not nearly as important as the sport's scene. Halo is having a scene revival right now, and that's what really matters to us. Something to really be hyped about.

But remember: People who don't like 343's take on Halo and it's competetive scene have already left, their voice isn't really around to be heard.

Gonna have to disagree there. H5 has a scene no doubt, but we also seem to depend on Optic as viewership, and they are the primary reason viewership gets as high as it is. Combine that with the artificial growth as a result if a 2.5m tourney and the number of people with legit interest in competitive Halo dwindles a lot.

I think H5 has done wonders for the scene, but also some lingering bad decisions have it held in limbo here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

but we also seem to depend on Optic as viewership

Biggest misconception and overstatement when referring to viewership.

OpTic playing gives us 5k, 10k extra viewers tops. Our Grand Finals featured a completely new and unknown org (Allegiance) and was only on for two hours. That peaked at 60-70k (Natural, not including Summit viewers) which is nearly twice as much as when OpTic plays in tournaments. Ninja, Roy, Snipedown, Lethul, Snakebite, and more all contest or beat Maniac for scrim/generic stream viewership.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Biggest misconception and overstatement when referring to viewership.

OpTic playing gives us 5k, 10k extra viewers tops. Our Grand Finals featured a completely new and unknown org (Allegiance) and was only on for two hours. That peaked at 60-70k (Natural, not including Summit viewers) which is nearly twice as much as when OpTic plays in tournaments. Ninja, Roy, Snipedown, Lethul, Snakebite, and more all contest or beat Maniac for scrim/generic stream viewership.

If I recall, when Optic was finally out of contending for the HWC, viewership dropped like 20k. Thats a pretty big number when H5's viewership is still in the 5 digit range.

Now is that keeping the game from growinf? Nah, just that they are an X factor for views, and I think that'd be hard to dispute.

But pace is often dependent on the skill of the player's in the game. While at high levels yes HCE is a much, much different game than H2/H3 that doesn't necessarily hold true at lower levels of play. There's a reason casual players usually lump HCE, H2 and H3 together as games that play the same. Hell the average ttk of the HCE pistol and H2 BR probably are not that far apart for your average staff captainy player.

Sprint on the other hand changes the game at such a fundamental level that it is apparent no matter what level you play at. You go from having a game where movement and combat are one in the same to a game where they are totally separated. This holds true no matter how good, bad, hardcore, casual etc you are.

I personally think of CE as the Melee of Halo games (funny that they came out the same year). Sure, it is the same series and has a lot of the same mechanics as H2 and H3, but there is so much added skill/depth to the meta that it is almost a different game entirely. I agree that a majority of casual players simply don't know about this added depth. Especially when considering CE 2v2's. I do think that h5 doesn't belong in this group, but for a variety of reasons. 

Same. There's really so little I could ask for with this game, currently. Well, bar a UI update for the armor screen. Holy hell is it bad, clunky and tedious to navigate. This is a case where I'd love the Reach armor UI to return. Was just perfect, when you have a buttload of things to choose from.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Same. There's really so little I could ask for with this game, currently. Well, bar a UI update for the armor screen. Holy hell is it bad, clunky and tedious to navigate. This is a case where I'd love the Reach armor UI to return. Was just perfect, when you have a buttload of things to choose from.

fucking shill.

#HaloIsGreatAgain

like that you got negged for giving your opinion.
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The only thing I would change would be the UI, a small auto damage drop off, and the lunge on Spartan Charge and Melee. Man the lunge make me rage sometimes.

But what do I know, I'm just a filthy gold/platinum scrub lol

• Upvote (+1) 2

Didnt Worlds have like 98k+ or something? I forget

Yeah but that includes summits 17-19k or whatever he had.

@@Infinity Optics viewers probably aren't just those that follow Maniac, Formal & Enable pretty much always tweet about Halo events and you have a number of other CoD pros that tweet about it sometimes as well - Karma, Parasite, Nadeshot, Scump to name a couple I remember seeing.

If I could only change one thing about the game?  Party restrictions.  No doubt about it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

like that you got negged for giving your opinion.

You get used to it. Seriously. Still love the game to bits. Internet people's button pressing shenanigans won't change that. :P 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

to all the people say that they like that you can go around pick up better weapons like in an arena shooter....in an arena shooter better weapons dont become significantly easier to use like in halo 5....in arena shooters EVERY SINGLE WEAPON IS GOING TO BE STUPID HARD TO USE.Even if a gun is made to be easy to use in a real arena shooter it still wont be due to the extremely fast movement and the fact that you HAVE to play on a high sense or you are basically fucked and will get chased from behind....also there is no aim assist

• Upvote (+1) 1

If I could only change one thing about the game?  Party restrictions.  No doubt about it.

Aiming first man...that should be the most intuitive part of your FPS ahahaha

You get used to it. Seriously. Still love the game to bits. Internet people's button pressing shenanigans won't change that. :P 

Well with how many times this forum has turned against you, I'm surprised you haven't morphed into Hayden Christianity by now.