CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

no Halo in the last 6 years has been anything like its predecessor

More like the only Halo games that are anything like one another are 2 & 3.

and even 2 and 3 are noticeably different.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

That's true, and I agree, but that doesn't really contradict my point.

I'm not going to pretend Halo 2 & 3 were perfect, because I can definitely point out their flaws, but it was at least believable that they were part of the same franchise as Halo CE at the core they were Halo, Halo Reach-5 have no identity they go against what made Halo unique and cater to a "wider audience" when really Halo never actually needed that because guess what? It already had a large/loyal fanbase, but not anymore its been completely fractured and no one really agrees on anything anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 4

mASN1GJ.jpglDD2ZBl.png

This is the closest I could make my spartan look to Master Chief. 

And the one on the right is my Spartan. Currently I'm trying to unlock the HellJumper helmet. My gamertag is HellJumper5252 so if you ever wanna play Halo 5 or MCC then hit me up. I have the unicorn helmet which I hear is really popular but I honestly don't like it at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My top 5 favorite Halo games are (best to worst)

1. Halo 3

2. Halo 2

3. Halo Reach

4. Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 5 Guardians tied

5. Halo 3 ODST (this one would be higher on the list if it had it's own multiplayer)

Halo 4 is my least favorite by far. It's a great game but it's not a great Halo game at all. 

My top 5 favorite Halo characters are (best to worst)

1. Edward Buck

2. Thel Vadam

3. Master Chief

4. Cortana

5. Ship Master

6. Sargent Johnson

7. Agent Locke

8. The Grave Mind

9. Fred

10. Carter

What about you guys?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

1. Halo 3

2. Halo 2

3. Halo Reach

5. Halo 3 ODST (this one would be higher on the list if it had it's own multiplayer)

Halo 4 is my least favorite by far. It's a great game but it's not a great Halo game at all.

1. Edward Buck

2. Thel Vadam

3. Master Chief

4. Cortana

5. Ship Master

6. Sargent Johnson

7. Agent Locke

8. The Grave Mind

9. Fred

10. Carter

What about you guys?

Halo reach over halo 1 and 5

Halo reach over halo 1 and 5

TU and ZB Reach was pretty good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Best shot for what? some sort of competitive revival?

if that's where you are headed with this, I hate to break it to you but it aint gonna happen.

Best shot for a game that isn't the boring, typical sprint ADS junk that keeps getting shoved down our collective throats.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I enjoyed Halo 4 far more than reach. Though I didn't play after the TU, I quit halo after that trash came out.

That isn't necessarily the case though. The BR is extremely useful at all ranges, as is the DMR, Storm Rifle, and Carbine.

Tier 2 weapons are better in niche circumstances but one could argue those circumstances are wayyyy too niche for some weapons.

That REALLY sucks for me to say, because I love how unique those weapons function in H5's sandbox.

Like I said in an edit I made to my previous post, Majority of these issues would be solved if "Tier 1" was eliminated altogether. Just have niche power weapons/ultra power weapons and spawn us with:

1. A capable, powerful utility weapon that can only really be outclassed by those niche circumstances with niche power weapons and ultra power weapons in general.
  2.  A noob-friendly spray-and-pray, yet punishing automatic (due to its ease of use).

I thought of a way we could naturally improve the "3-Tier" system 343i implemented with Halo 5's sandbox for H6!

Ok, so according to my previous post on this subject (quoted), I argued for a non-tiered system, where the only weapons on map should be the more common "niche" power weapon and the occasional "ultra" power weapon.

So what I'm about to say may freak you guys out but hear me out till the end.. ..what if we actually had more than 3 tiers of weapons? Think about previous Halo games. What feature do some gamers (myself included) miss with Halo 2/3? DUAL-WIELDING

Now here's where the signature TB PitchforksTM come out. I know, I know, dual-wielding is a cancer to society. But I feel like dual-wielding could actually give everyone what they want when carefully balanced and placed smartly on maps.

So to give a broad picture of what I'm thinking about before I dive into the specifics, here's a list of my "Tiered Sandbox" idea:

• T0.5: On-map. Holding one of a dual-wieldable weapon.
  • T1: Starting weapons. These weapons function exactly as I stated in the list of my quoted previous post.
  • T1.5: On-map. Dual-Wielding weapons that have that ability.
  • T2: On-map. "Niche" Power Weapons
  • T3: On-map. "Ultra" Power Weapons

ALL WEAPONS ARE DESIGNED AROUND A STARTING PRECISION WEAPON WITH A1SEC TTK TO PREVENT TEAM-SHOTTING WHILE PROMOTING THE UNIQUE, DYNAMIC COMBAT HALO CONTAINS.

T0.5 are unique weapons that are literally worse than the weapons you start with, however can be somewhat effective in niche circumstances if skillfully used. Some examples include:

1. Weaker plasma rifle (return of stun mechanic).
  2. Plasma pistol (no stun, can disable vehicles, most capable weapon at taking down shields).
  3. Maulers (cannot one-shot someone without dual-wielding, surprisingly effective at taking down shields however).
  4. SMG (think in between H2/H3 in terms of power and range).

T1 weapons are our starting weapons. A true, powerful, utility, and precision weapon as well as a noob-friendly yet punishing automatic.

1. Halo 5 magnum, buffed to a 4sk.
  2. AR (see bottom for Smart-Link changes)

T1.5 is when you dual-wield 2 T0.5 weapons. When properly balanced, these can have more power than our T1 weapons, at the cost of being unable to use spartan abilities, grenades, sprint (if still in-game), ect. unless one weapon is manually dropped before-hand. Having spartan abilities AND dual-wielding adds a new layer of trade-off to the gameplay.

T2 are very circumstantial power weapons. Self-explanatory.

1. Shotgun
  2. Hydra
  3. Plasma Caster/Grenade Launcher
  4. Sniper
  5. ect.

T3 are all-around power weapons. Self-explanatory.

1. SAW (would receive a slight buff considering it's tier)
  2. Rail-Gun (fine as is)
  3. Rocket Launcher
  4. Fuel Rod Cannon
  5. ect.

By having this system, we can remove the current system in place that many people seem to dislike, where our starting weapons are just outmatched by the other precision and automatic weapons on map. In addition, this reduces redundancy in the sandbox by adding this new trade-off element to each weapon that would otherwise function nearly identical to each other in Halo 5's case. Finally, it adds a new layer to the moment-to-moment gameplay, increasing how dynamic Halo's sandbox can be.

To wrap things up, I'd just like to list some additional mechanic-based changes I'd make to Halo 6 that I think would make everyone happy:

• Hello dual-wielding.
  • No sprint.
  • Therefore, no spartan charge and slide.
  • No smart-link for dual-wielded weapons/lower tier automatics. Power automatic weapons can work (ex. SAW).
  • Hello faster movement to account for sprint (or smaller maps).
  • Make clamber slightly more punishing, greater reward for those who can skillfully platform while retaining its usefulness.
  • Allow weapons (except T1.5) to be used while thrusting. This allows thrusting to truly be both an offensive/defensive mechanic.
  • No manual pickup of power-ups (ex. over-shield).
  • Tone down sniper glare slightly.
  • Less sniper magnetism.

What do you guys think?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Best shot for a game that isn't the boring, typical sprint ADS junk that keeps getting shoved down our collective throats.

Whats sad is that is exactly what 343 is going to keep giving us - Oh, and more bells and whistles with each game that nobody wants or will be seen first in the next shit COD title to get released. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

tier city

Respect the thought put into this post but it's easier said than done, especially Dual Wielding. I think our current Tier system is fine, its just a matter of

• Fixing Map's Weapon Placements
  • Cutting Down # of Tier 1 Weapons
  • Moving All Tier 1 Weapons to Tier 2 Timers
  • Balancing and Tuning Tier 3 Weapons (Sniper Strength, Railgun/Fuel Rod Ammo)

No need to reinvent the wheel when the current system just needs some tweaks

• Upvote (+1) 1

Respect the thought put into this post but it's easier said than done, especially Dual Wielding. I think our current Tier system is fine, its just a matter of

• Fixing Map's Weapon Placements
  • Cutting Down # of Tier 1 Weapons
  • Moving All Tier 1 Weapons to Tier 2 Timers
  • Balancing and Tuning Tier 3 Weapons (Sniper Strength, Railgun/Fuel Rod Ammo)

No need to reinvent the wheel when the current system just needs some tweaks

Agree to disagree I guess. I personally think the current Tier system is far from fine, and my solution not only fixes the problems for both the TB/Waypoint stereotype communities, but also allows for far more dynamic gameplay while including a long-lost feature that never reached its potential before being removed (obviously referring to dual-wielding).

I have no idea how to this would work in Warzone, just thinking about the more traditional "Arena" Halo multiplayer.

I also LOL'd pretty hard at your "tier city" quote.

1. Halo 3

2. Halo 2

3. Halo Reach

1. Edward Buck

2. Thel Vadam

3. Master Chief

4. Cortana

5. Ship Master

6. Sargent Johnson

7. Agent Locke

8. The Grave Mind

9. Fred

10. Carter

What about you guys?

Top Halo games. 

1. Halo 3

2. Halo 1

3. Halo 2 

4. Halo 5 

5. Halo 4 

6. Halo Reach 

I don't know enough story to rank characters really. 

1. Master Chief 

My Top 3 Halo Games for Each Category (no specific order though)

Multiplayer:

• Halo 5
  • Halo 2
  • Halo 3

Campaign:

• ODST
  • Halo 3
  • Halo 4
  • (and the Opening Cutscene to Halo 5)

For the last 2 days i am getting booted from games and getting the "Your Fireteam has Changed. Returning you to the Main Menu"  Its like its disconnecting from the servers every 10 minutes for some reason

MP

HCE >> H3 > H2 >>>>>> H5 >>>>>>>>>> Reach >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> H4

Campaign

Hce >>>> H2 >>>> Reach >>>> H3 >>>> H4 >>>> H5

MP:

CE

H3

Reach

H5

H4

SP:

H3

Reach

CE

Odst

Halo 2 mp isn't listed because I haven't played it as much as the others, so I can't form as accurate of an opinion on its mp as I can with the others, though I never disliked playing it when I got to.

Campaign

CE > 2 = 3 > 4 > Reach >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> H5

DON'T CLICK IF YOU HATE SPOILERS

If you can't tell, retconning Cortana's death in a forum post and then bringing her back as hitler messiah is one of the most shitty-fanfiction-like things I've ever seen in a story in my opinion. Gameplay was alright though, although soldiers and wardens can go to hell

As for MP, I haven't played enough of the first two, so I won't rank them.

3 roughly equals 5 > Reach >>>>>>>>>>> 4

• Upvote (+1) 1

MP

HCE >> H3 > H2 >>>>>> H5 >>>>>>>>>> Reach >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> H4

Campaign

Hce >>>> H2 >>>> Reach >>>> H3 >>>> H4 >>>> H5

H3 over H2?

:apg:

• Upvote (+1) 1

MP:

H2

H:CE

H5

H3

HR

H4

Campaign:

H4

H3

H:CE

H2

ODST

H5

HR

Only played H5 campaign once, though, so idk. It may be worse than Reach for me. Halo Reach has been my least favorite campaign for so long that I may just be biased against it at this point.