CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So a little of topic but i gotta say, Doom's snapmap is really really good like, like it is like halo 5 except with more things u can do lol. I've really been having a hard time to find a reason to play halo 5 and doom, although its matchmaking isn't good, u can literally make what u want, un hinged by developer denying access to part of the game. A campaign u can make it, a firefight/horde mode easy, a ultra competitive mode with fast base movement and a 3 shot primary and classic weapon placements check, a wacky gametype, a freaking piano lol. I just cant think of why so many people would disregard such a tool and better yet, it has its own ingame file browser with featured gametypes and cross gen map making. Should i be hyped about it or is it all a lie like i was led to believe like halo4-5

So I tried changing my controller settings last night so I could jump and thrust without taking my fingers off the sticks, but after an hour or so I just got so frustrated that I switched it back to what I'm comfortable with. I know it's a huge advantage to be able to jump/thrust while aiming, but man I really don't think it's worth the frustration of going through at least a couple days of getting wrecked over and over again.

I've played halo with A as jump my entire life; at this point I just don't think I want to unlearn that. I assume I'm in the minority because almost everybody I see on here uses bumper jumper or paddles, but whatevs I'm not going pro anytime soon.  

This was part of the reason why I decided on getting a new PC instead of an Xbox One. I went through a phase where I wanted to get better, switched to bumper jumper, practiced with it for several months, and it by the time I gave up it barely felt natural. I actually found a button layout I felt was ergonomic and allowed aiming while performing actions in Xbox TF2 of all places, since it allows for custom button configs (Right analog click to jump is godly), but Halo never offered offered anything close to a custom button config while I was still around. I just got tired of fighting my own input device.

just played 10 placement matches... won 9 of them. and im diamond 4. WHAT THE HELL

And this is why I say 1-50 was so much better and just way simpler. Also it gives you a true incentive to get the rank, instead of grinding for something you're just going to lose in a month. Lame.

Ya. It's funny because getting champ last season kinda killed my drive to play. Once you get there and it just vanishes a week later, what the hell is the point?

I remember getting my first 50. It drove my incentive to keep playing threw the roof.

• Upvote (+1) 4

So a little of topic but i gotta say, Doom's snapmap is really really good like, like it is like halo 5 except with more things u can do lol. I've really been having a hard time to find a reason to play halo 5 and doom, although its matchmaking isn't good, u can literally make what u want, un hinged by developer denying access to part of the game. A campaign u can make it, a firefight/horde mode easy, a ultra competitive mode with fast base movement and a 3 shot primary and classic weapon placements check, a wacky gametype, a freaking piano lol. I just cant think of why so many people would disregard such a tool and better yet, it has its own ingame file browser with featured gametypes and cross gen map making. Should i be hyped about it or is it all a lie like i was led to believe like halo4-5

I'm hyped for it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has anyone noticed the lag being worse than usual lately?  I can barely play the game. 

Yup. Lag spikes through the roof. Gotta love when people start walking into a wall for a second or two and then teleport 10 feet then you're instamelted lol. 

I will never forget all the critiques I made about this game before it released and hearing the old cop out, "you can't make those kinds of criticisms because you haven't played the game yet."

1-2 months after the game released, I made all the same criticisms while proudly stating that I had not played the game or spectated any gameplay footage- the response to which was the same cop out, "you haven't played the game, therefore your criticisms hold no weight."

The game has been out for about 5 months now. I've still not played the game, nor spectated any gameplay footage (with the exception of about 5 minutes of gameplay with the CE pistol). I still criticize halo 5 for all the same reasons I had BEFORE the game launched.

This is an "I told you so" post.

Wait, you still haven't played the game? Jesus Christ, pick it up on sale or something.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

just played 10 placement matches... won 9 of them. and im diamond 4. WHAT THE HELL

That's not how it works, you have a hidden CSR when you play your placement matches and whatever it is at the 10th game is your rank.

Spawning with a rocket/shotgun/sniper=MEH, I liked doom but that stuff I want no part of.

Wait, you still haven't played the game? Jesus Christ, pick it up on sale or something.

I don't want to play h5 though.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Do you know if you can make a classic Doom style deathmatch game mode, with weapon pick ups, and unlimited weapon inventory, with Snap Map?  I got some friends who are on the fence, but want to know if it is like that.

Do you know if you can make a classic Doom style deathmatch game mode, with weapon pick ups, and unlimited weapon inventory, with Snap Map?  I got some friends who are on the fence, but want to know if it is like that.

You're always limited to 2 weapons. Pickups are in, though.

Also, Snapmaps are limited to 4 players.

Reading all these comments makes me glad I quit H5 a while back.

I'm actually curious to see how far 343 drives this series into the ground.

My hype for this game, and any future Halo's, is well and truly dead.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have come to accept the fact that we probably won't be getting a real sandbox rebalance until after the the second pro league season in the fall. 343 seems pretty set on keeping all of h5 having universal settings and I can't see them changing it mid season, or even for the second season when all the other qualifiers/seasons had the same settings. This makes me sad. I want a rebalance for the competitive side of this game so badly. There is so much potential there. 

I have come to accept the fact that we probably won't be getting a real sandbox rebalance until after the the second pro league season in the fall. 343 seems pretty set on keeping all of h5 having universal settings and I can't see them changing it mid season, or even for the second season when all the other qualifiers/seasons had the same settings. This makes me sad. I want a rebalance for the competitive side of this game so badly. There is so much potential there.

During HWC16 we said "wait until the season ends and 343 will rebalance the sandbox" HWC16 ended and nothing happened, now we're hoping for change to happen after pro league, At this point I don't think 343 will change anything tbh...

The only chance I see is if 343 releases some major fall update as a 40-60€ stand-alone similar to what Destiny is doing, that might bring change

During HWC16 we said "wait until the season ends and 343 will rebalance the sandbox" HWC16 ended and nothing happened, now we're hoping for change to happen after pro league, At this point I don't think 343 will change anything tbh...

The only chance I see is if 343 releases some major fall update as a 40-60€ stand-alone similar to what Destiny is doing, that might bring change

"Wait for the patch" has been the mantra since Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Wait for the patch" has been the mantra since Halo 3.

and halo 3 was the last game that could survive not having a big enough patch population wise. Reach dropped a bit over the course of the year but settled at a decent number, and then 4 dropped and settled at an abysmal number. 5 looks to be no different than these 2.

My opinion, 343 has zero reason to change the balance of the game unless they see something in the esports scene that is not right or game breaking. Seems as long as gen population is happy and buying reqs.. no reason to change anything.

Note, this is not me saying there shouldnt be some changes, im simply giving my perspective of 343.

This was part of the reason why I decided on getting a new PC instead of an Xbox One. I went through a phase where I wanted to get better, switched to bumper jumper, practiced with it for several months, and it by the time I gave up it barely felt natural. I actually found a button layout I felt was ergonomic and allowed aiming while performing actions in Xbox TF2 of all places, since it allows for custom button configs (Right analog click to jump is godly), but Halo never offered offered anything close to a custom button config while I was still around. I just got tired of fighting my own input device.

Well on the XB1 you can map the buttons however you like. For example, right now I have my right and left stick clicks switched so that crouch is on the left stick (I did this before Ninja did btw). Putting jump on the right stick is something I've never thought of, but it seems like it would make perfect sense. Definitely going to give that a try. 

My opinion, 343 has zero reason to change the balance of the game unless they see something in the esports scene that is not right or game breaking. Seems as long as gen population is happy and buying reqs.. no reason to change anything.

Note, this is not me saying there shouldnt be some changes, im simply giving my perspective of 343.

This game's population is anemic. "Gen pop" is not happy.

A loud, vocal minority is happy.

Except as of right now the population isnt exactly great.  From what they posted regarding tweaking settings of the Arena playlist, and making it more closely resemble HCS, i wouldnt be surprised to see some more major tweaks than people think.  I doubt we will see some of the things that we want the most (removal of radar), but more likely things like tweaks to auto weapon respawns, power weapon and powerup placements and spawns, etc.  Things like that can help give the competitive community some of what it wants, while not creating a noticable difference for the casual gamer in terms of difference of gametypes from casual to pro.

It's pretty well documented why the pistol in its current form is not good for competitive play but I think we often ignore why it's bad from a casual standpoint as well.

- casual FPS players generally prefer fast kill times and powerful weapons. The pistol has a slow ttk (especially if your aim is poor) on top of visual and auditory feedback that screams "this gun is weak as fuck".

-Getting constantly mowed down by a weapon that you perceive to be weak can be infuriating.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's pretty well documented why the pistol in its current form is not good for competitive play but I think we often ignore why it's bad from a casual standpoint as well.

- casual FPS players generally prefer fast kill times and powerful weapons. The pistol has a slow ttk (especially if your aim is poor) on top of visual and auditory feedback that screams "this gun is weak as fuck".

-Getting constantly mowed down by a weapon that you perceive to be weak can be infuriating.

As of right now, the pistol is tied for the fastest TTK with the DMR of all the precision weapons.  The only difference between the pistol and the DMR is the red-reticule range.

As of right now, the pistol is tied for the fastest TTK with the DMR of all the precision weapons. The only difference between the pistol and the DMR is the red-reticule range.

Based on what numbers?

Even if you are correct(prove it) the AVERAGE ttk of the pistol is slow compared to the other precision weapons. Especially at low levels.