CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Honestly, Halo is going to be a husk of a franchise with the current 343 management in charge. I've learned to accept it and move on. No point bitching because they won't listen to us. Instead I've found a new flame:

<3 HITMAN <3

Io sends out surveys regularly asking its fans what they think about the game, even going as far as to let us decide WHAT NEW GAMEPLAY FEATURES GET ADDED INTO IT. The surveys also have not shyed away from asking about controversial topics. And my personal favorite part: Io asks us what we think about the AMBIENCE of the game. Not in noise or visual effects, but the unquantifiable feeling the game gives us. I have never seen a developer want my feedback on the atmosphere and ambience of a game before, and Io have completely won me over with that, even if I don't agree with all their decisions. (Oh and they want to know what needs to change about how they communicate with the fanbase about feedback, so that's totally cocking awesome). In comparison, 343 is a fucking joke.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I've been burnt with the last 4 releases, Halo Reach was the beginning of a bad trend, The 4 was a complete shit show from top to bottom, Halo: MCC was cashgrab joke with no quality control whatsoever, and Halo 5 is one GIANT leap forward and fifteen steps back. Like I'm not even salty but I just want to go to their headquarters and grab all of their directors and shake them, I don't really owe them shit and I don't owe them my money. At best I'll buy Halo 6 seven months from its release and buy it used, I can't bring myself to give them my money for a another game I'm just burnt out. But who knows, Halo games just keep getting different so maybe they'll fix all these reoccuring problems but it might be back in the next Halo release (Halo 7)

Honestly at this point its just fucking cute. They won't admit their mistakes, there cheesing off REQ money, they drip us content we've had with last releases, Waypointers and /r/Halo'ers give them a pass or don't really care, and Beyond is the only website that has real eyes that see the problems. Honestly I like this community because at least we can see the problems, yeah anyone can call it a hivemind but its a hivemind that I can respect. 

I just get the vibe that no one on Beyond REALLY hates this game, they just want it to be better in every way possible but there are sooooooo many barriers to fix it this game, to the point where it just feels impossible and it feels sad honestly.

Waypoint And r/Halo will realize what a mess H5 was by the time H6 rolls around, and by then it'll be too late.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly, Halo is going to be a husk of a franchise with the current 343 management in charge. I've learned to accept it and move on. No point bitching because they won't listen to us. Instead I've found a new flame:

<3 HITMAN <3

Io sends out surveys regularly asking its fans what they think about the game, even going as far as to let us decide WHAT NEW GAMEPLAY FEATURES GET ADDED INTO IT. The surveys also have not shyed away from asking about controversial topics. And my personal favorite part: Io asks us what we think about the AMBIENCE of the game. Not in noise or visual effects, but the unquantifiable feeling the game gives us. I have never seen a developer want my feedback on the atmosphere and ambience of a game before, and Io have completely won me over with that, even if I don't agree with all their decisions. (Oh and they want to know what needs to change about how they communicate with the fanbase about feedback, so that's totally cocking awesome). In comparison, 343 is a fucking joke.

It sucks that I can't think of many game companies that I can buy a new game from without any knowledge of it and know it'll be good. Bioware, Obsidian, CD Projekt Red.....honestly can't think of anyone else.

And those are all RPGs as well. Fucking why are RPG Devs getting so much better but FPS gets so much worse?

• Upvote (+1) 1

It sucks that I can't think of many game companies that I can buy a new game from without any knowledge of it and know it'll be good. Bioware, Obsidian, CD Projekt Red.....honestly can't think of anyone else.

And those are all RPGs as well. Fucking why are RPG Devs getting so much better but FPS gets so much worse?

Dragon age 3 sucked. 

Money Man, FPS Developers know they can make below par games and kids will buy their deluxe editions with all the DLC and microtransactions 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Partially, at the very least. One of the solutions they suggest in that post is "Increase maximum horizontal turn speed by at least 3x (make sensitivity knob go up to 30)", and in MoR you will be able to do exactly that.

The "Remove the time-based acceleration at maximum" point was somewhat addressed in Cartographer's Gift when they added the acceleration setting, and the "Remove the velocity jump" point was somewhat addressed in the same update with the addition of the Outer Deadzone option.

I think some people (note: I didn't say all, please don't roast me) haven't had much luck fiddling with the options because they simply don't understand what turning them up or down actually does. For example, most people seem to think that setting the Outer Deadzone to 0% is ideal, but in reality you should be turning it up if you are having slow turn issues.

Thats a fair call but the thing is the new options they gave us didn't actually directly address those key points. They gave us new parameters to essentially tweak more, which is great in itself, but none of those parameters relate to the problem.

Yes, people might not know what they're doing and not actually had a go. I know I wasn't one of those people, I did/do know what I'm doing and it's very safe to say the status of the problem is the same as day-one.

I'm like most Halo players, I played on 4-5 like everyone else, but Halo 5's curve is so fucked, I can play on 10sens 5acc and it still feels as sluggish and janky as 3sens 0acc.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Dragon Age Inquisition is one of my all time favorite games.....

Mass Effect 2 is one of mine, but Mass Effect 3 is the most disappointing game I've ever played. I personally wouldn't have included Bioware in that list.

As for buying Halo 6: Subtitle, Halo 5's campaign killed any interest I had in where the franchise was going narratively, and the multiplayer is, as @@Gazorpazorp alluded to, a strange mix of steps forward in some areas and backward in others (with issues that, months later, are still to be addressed, e.g. the balancing of the sandbox) that failed to maintain my interest.

Dragon Age Inquisition is one of my all time favorite games.....

It was OK imo. But it suffered big time from post Skyrim copycating.

It's a shadow of what bioware can(maybe) and has done.

It was OK imo. But it suffered big time from post Skyrim copycating.

It's a shadow of what bioware can(maybe) and has done.

I enjoyed it. Dorian is such a good character in my eyes. (Also amazingly hot) and just the idea of leading the inquisition and being the biggest player in the world is so good.

The fact that I have this game in my house and have 0 urge to play the multiplayer says a lot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fact that I have this game in my house and have 0 urge to play the multiplayer says a lot.

A+ post, thanks for the contribution.  Maybe try playing another game and posting on its forum, then.  

For example, I own Destiny but have zero urge to play it, which is why I don't post in Destiny forums.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 14

I enjoyed it. Dorian is such a good character in my eyes. (Also amazingly hot) and just the idea of leading the inquisition and being the biggest player in the world is so good.

It's the best of the Dragon Age games imo, but that series is missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. Never been able to fully enjoy it for some reason, always seems to have little issues that I can't quite ignore. I agree with @@Cooper about the overuse of Skyrim elements. Tying back into the thread topic, it's another example of a game studio perhaps focusing too much on the success of other titles in their genre.

Agreed about Bioware's characters though, they never disappoint in that area.

A+ post, thanks for the contribution.  Maybe try playing another game and posting on its forum, then.  

For example, I own Destiny but have zero urge to play it, which is why I don't post in Destiny forums.

Except everyone who posts here has had a love for Halo at some point. Its his choice to post here no matter what.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's the best of the Dragon Age games imo, but that series is missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. Never been able to fully enjoy it for some reason, always seems to have little issues that I can't quite ignore. I agree with @@Cooper about the overuse of Skyrim elements. Tying back into the thread topic, it's another example of a game studio perhaps focusing too much on the success of other titles in their genre.

Agreed about Bioware's characters though, they never disappoint in that area.

What Skyrim elements?

Welp any interest in playing Halo today died when after my first game and the realisation Region lock is off. Going to be complete shite when i come back after Memories of Reach is released with MM Preferences, you don't play 6 hours a day every day you come back the next day and you can't aim, thanks to the aiming that makes absolutely no sense because no other shooter on consoles aims like it.

Back to The Witcher 3 for me!

• Upvote (+1) 1

What Skyrim elements?

Giant empty maps mainly. An obsession with scale while the pacing of the gameplay and story suffer.

Skyrim brought scale and detail to the table, whereas most other open world games just have scale. Sure, Dragon Age excels with the story and character elements, but the majority of the game is still gameplay, which is what is lacking imo.

I'm not a fan of open world games generally, I prefer well designed spaces that are constructed with care and purpose. I'll take a small detailed building over a giant empty sprawl any day. All of this is just my opinion of course.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Giant empty maps mainly. An obsession with scale while the pacing of the gameplay and story suffer.

Skyrim brought scale and detail to the table, whereas most other open world games just have scale. Sure, Dragon Age excels with the story and character elements, but the majority of the game is still gameplay, which is what is lacking imo.

I'm not a fan of open world games generally, I prefer well designed spaces that are constructed with care and purpose. I'll take a small detailed building over a giant empty sprawl any day. All of this is just my opinion of course.

But that made it sound like a lot of elements in Skyrim were introduced into Inquisition when its only really one.

You know... I realized the main reason that I hate playing Arena in Halo 5. The weapon sandbox is not designed for it, rather it has been purposely designed for Warzone. I do have good fun in Warzone, and lately, my Halo 5 experience has digressed into me casually playing Arena until I'm Diamond 1, then playing nothing but Warzone. I have little issue with this playlist, other than farmers, and snowballing. However, playing Arena makes my stomach turn. Then I realized, it's not that 343 doesn't know how to properly design a weapon sandbox, and need guidance, rather they simply designed the current sandbox for Warzone, and left Arena as a secondary thought. This would explain:

- The excessive range of automatics.

- Literally every precision weapon being an upgrade to our "utility" weapon.

- The ease of use for the sniper, and it's lens glare.

- Excessive range of the shotgun.

- Why certain power weapons were weaker than they should of been in the first place, this was to justify an upgraded version of it in Warzone. The Spartan Laser is the best example of this.

- The Halo 4-like magnetism of The Halo 2 BR. To justify the existence, and legendary status of this weapon, it needed an advantage that the regular BR does not have.

- The ease of use of The Halo 1 Pistol, relative to it's original form.

Literally, everything that I hate about Arena(and then some), is a problem that stems from Warzone, yet I sit there, and play it.

Words cannot even express my displeasure right now.

• Upvote (+1) 9

The man posts here because he loves Halo(not in it's current form obviously), and he wants to save it. He is invested in the well-being of this game on a fundamental level.

• Upvote (+1) 3