CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Aiming seems promising but its not going to be..... Just adds more options on top of the bad base aiming. 343 has to change the BASE aiming in order for it to feel normal, other wise the update is useless.

You don't know that. I'll wait and try it for myself. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

To be fair, the last time they added aiming options it helped a lot. It didn't fix it, but it was a significant improvement. Here's hoping this helps as much as aim accel and deadzones did.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Just got smacked by shootygirl. I think its time to retire, im never going to be good at this game. Any recommendations? and no doom.

I really hope that update fixes the god forsaken aiming in this game and so when I play other games and not have it fuck up my aiming in H5.

To be fair, the last time they added aiming options it helped a lot. It didn't fix it, but it was a significant improvement. Here's hoping this helps as much as aim accel and deadzones did.

Well it says if we match the values together it will be old school values like previous halos should we take them at their word?.  I am more interested in these matchmaking preferences they mentioned last week, must be a later update i guess.

Aiming seems promising but its not going to be..... Just adds more options on top of the bad base aiming. 343 has to change the BASE aiming in order for it to feel normal, other wise the update is useless.

Same old 343 bull honestly.

"Hey, instead of fixing the main problem that we caused in the first place, let's fix all the tertiary issues to it instead! Are we not the best guys?"

A lot of people here like to assume things and spread bullshit. Aside from that guy who posted about the sensitivity curve adjustment needing fixed, please back up your complaining with actual facts and reasoning, otherwise I'll just assume it's the usual 343 bashing circle jerk haste. To the guy who posted about "base" aiming, can you please elaborate on what "base" aiming is? Or do you even know what you're saying?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Same old 343 bull honestly.

"Hey, instead of fixing the main problem that we caused in the first place, let's fix all the tertiary issues to it instead! Are we not the best guys?"

Vast majority think the aiming is fine, why would you change the aiming for everyone when only 2% of the population notices its bad?

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 7

Vast majority think the aiming is fine, why would you change the aiming for everyone when only 2% of the population notices its bad?

I don't care what the vast majority thinks. It's a big enough issue that they're going out of their way to conjure up these settings for that "2%". It's yet another pathetic band aid solution to a problem they caused. Yes, the last time they added aiming options it helped somewhat. But as long the base aiming system remains as is, it's still going to be a problem.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I was actually about to post this unbeknownst to your post but the discussion was conveniently going on so I'll throw in the quote.

Ranked Slayer doesn't belong in Halo when there is a primary competitive 4v4 playlist (Team Arena). Fans are crying out for a Social Slayer list every tim they rotate it in. People argue that "you should have the ability to play whatever you want with Ranks" but that completely waters down and nullifies the purpose of a ranking system altogether.

Remove ranks from Slayer (creating Social Slayer) would create the availability of a relaxed standard 4v4 experience while simultaneously amplifying competition for Team Arena.

343i keeping it purely out of tradition of Halo 3 or because of the entitlement of players is just beyond infuriating for me.

Competitive and casual are two opposite sides of the spectrum. There are multitudes of varying levels in between those two degrees of competitiveness that doesn't make it black and white.

Casual, casual competitive, competitive casual, competitive, hardcore competitive etc.

No one is entitled to anything and no one is claiming that. Ranked Team Slayer has been the most popular playlist since Halo 3, and continues to be the most popular playlist in Halo 5. I don't think removing ranks from Team Slayer would be a good idea at all. Where do you get the idea that including the most popular ranked playlist of the past in Halo 5 is an entitlement thing or a 'just out of tradition thing'?

Believe it or not, the competitive and hardcore competitive side of the spectrum of the population is a minority and has always been a minority in Halo. Just because there demands are met with a Team Arena/Hardcore playlist doesn't mean other playlists should be sacraficed.

I'm the exact person that would be mad if ranks were removed from slayer. I belong to the "casually competitive" crowd that I mentioned earlier. I'm competitive enough where I want to play ranked, but not competitive enough to go into an OBJ based playlist and form a team and call out and coordinate pushes and all that. Solo is a nightmare in this game, and Slayer has been the only tolerable/doable playlist while searching solo. Making an OBJ based playlist the only traditional 4vs4 ranked playlist wouldnt go well with a large portion of the population, IMO. It would certainly decrease my drive to play this game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't even care about anything else in that blog. Reading this:

The first thing you might notice here is that the two new settings do not appear to match numerically. Don’t be alarmed, there is nothing wrong and nothing has changed. Your current settings will be exactly the same as before the update, it just reflects the under-the-hood adjustments that we made to the ratios for Halo 5 in order to accommodate a number of factors, e.g. a reduction in aim assist and an increase in verticality.

One interesting thing to note is that if you do make these settings match numerically then you’ll have the look sensitivity ratio of previous Halo titles.

If you change the new settings to a ratio combination that does not match the defaults we created for launch, then the main look sensitivity setting will be displayed as ‘Custom’:

Now THAT is what I'm talking about. If I can actually aim like Halo 2, best believe I'll be a happy panda. And considering the fact that I'm using comic sans, I mean business.

Not going to jump for joy yet though, I know better than that.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just got smacked by shootygirl. I think its time to retire, im never going to be good at this game. Any recommendations? and no doom.

I think the question is; HOW badly smacked? Out of morbid curiosity. 

I think the question is; HOW badly smacked? Out of morbid curiosity. 

50-36 I think, teammate went 4-16 but still.

I'll be glad to finally be able to adjust vertical sensitivity. It always annoyed the hell out of me in Halo how it takes forever to look up at someone while I'm shooting.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The first time I read this I thought we were on the same page because I interpreted it as wondering why they changed away from the aiming in older games to begin with. No one had a problem with it. Then I read it again...

Dude, SO many people complain about the aiming in Halo 5. It was massively noticeable, immediately. Yes, a lot of people don't have a problem with it. Maybe even the majority. But it's the majority of the people still playing. Keep in mind how quickly Halo 5's population tanked. Don't you think not being able to aim comfortably might have contributed to that? And also, why change such a fundamental, crucial part of your game from previous games when NO ONE complained about it? Say what you will about Halo 4, but the aiming in that game felt extremely smooth. I mean, do you know of anyone that had a problem looking around in Halo 4? I don't. Enter Halo 5, where I can't make minor pistol adjustments at mid-close, or aim diagonally without feeling like I have Parkinson's disease. It was a massive change for the worse.

This change makes zero changes to default aiming. All it does is help alleviate an enormous problem for those afflicted by it, which is a lot more people than it seems you estimate it is. Help me understand your problem with this.

Precisely. The only reason we have these aiming modifiers is because people complained about the aiming.

Why would you go from 0% of complaints to 2%? That's a net negative, objectively.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Casual, casual competitive, competitive casual, competitive, hardcore competitive etc.

No one is entitled to anything and no one is claiming that. Ranked Team Slayer has been the most popular playlist since Halo 3, and continues to be the most popular playlist in Halo 5.

I'm competitive enough where I want to play ranked, but not competitive enough to go into an OBJ based playlist and form a team and call out and coordinate pushes and all that. Solo is a nightmare in this game, and Slayer has been the only tolerable/doable playlist while searching solo.

Cut out the lines I'm commenting on.

1. You're creating niche definitions that quite frankly don't exist. Some people may identify with a certain level of competitiveness or establish a degree to how hard they want to try when playing matchmaking, but what you just listed aren't actual groups that require playlist catering. When you want to try, you play Ranked, the ranking system does the rest of the work. Plus, we should be bridging the cap between casual and competitive players, not offering more ways to divide them.

2. What you just said is exactly why players feel entitled. "We had X before, why shouldn't we have it now" Secondly, do you really believe that Slayer is the most popular playlist because of its niche ranked experience? I hardly think that. People want to play Slayer because it's pure 4v4 Slayer, and that's fine, but they aren't flocking because of ranks.

3. Objective vs. non-Objective doesn't define how competitive a playlist is, especially in Halo 5 where Slayer is very team-shot oriented and focused around weapons/map control. Maybe a bit more coordination is required for objective specifics but the difference between Objective and Slayer is highly overstated. In addition, if Ranked Slayer was removed, the people who ARE playing it for the ranking system would be funneled into Team Arena. Team Arena's population then goes up which would allow for more flexibility with matchmaking. Who knows, maybe it would even arrow breathing room for Party Restrictions that everyone yearns for.

I understand you're argument, but this is entitlement. I'm not saying that players shouldn't feel entitled to things, especially the way the developers have handled it in the past, but its a simple matter of fact that players have been conditioned to expect certain things out of Halo matchmaking.

If Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 5 had all launched with a single, coherent, Ranked, Competitive 4v4 Playlist, do you really think there would really be an outcry for Ranked SWAT, or Ranked Slayer?

Halo 5 needs to be treated as a competitive game, and streamlining the ranking system is the first step towards amplifying that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Side Note: Can anyone fill me in on what Assault gametypes were kept in Team Arena? Won't be able to play until Sunday but I do enjoy some maps for Assault and I'm curious to know what they kept in.

I would be very disappointed if they removed ranked slayer. As an almost exclusive solo player, Team Slayer is my go-to playlist when I want to be competitive (even though I suck).

Now if we can get told how to replicate previous Halo games aiming so we are ready to go when MoR drops, that'd be dope.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I never really paid attention to just how lousy the amount of req points you get in Arena is.

Yeahhh.

I think the idea is, people who are playing Arena aren't interested in Warzone, hence the less REQ points because when you buy a pack, you're likely to sell all the Warzone stuff inside of it.

Pretty lame, though.

Now if we can get told how to replicate previous Halo games aiming so we are ready to go when MoR drops, that'd be dope.

Step 1: Be John Howard

Step 2: Hack the update before it launches

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeahhh.

I think the idea is, people who are playing Arena aren't interested in Warzone, hence the less REQ points because when you buy a pack, you're likely to sell all the Warzone stuff inside of it.

Pretty lame, though.

Arena games are shorter on average, plus in Warzone you are burning through REQ cards so it makes sense to earn extra points to refill your collection.

It might just be me but I've never had an issue with RP payouts (except for Ultra and Legendary Arena RP boosts).

They said in the update to just make your H/V sensitivities 1:1 (same sens. value). By default the ratio is 1:2