CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If they just cut clamber, sprint, flinch and change the scoping, then it would probably feel like one of the best halo games. I don't think any of the other abilities are bad for gameplay either, I think thrusting(with the ability to shoot) can be great for the game competitively, and something like sliding(if it was mapped to thruster instead of sprint, could allow for the player to be less predictable when it comes to strafing or dodging. As far as charge and GP go, their kind of gimmicky, but if charge was just a thrust+melee that had the same effect as charge, than I think I could be more skillful. GP just needs to be very hard to pull off, have a steep angle of trajectory, and be mapped to the jump button, then you can still ghandi hop, and the controls are simpler.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Eh. It is a huge improvement on Halo 4 because at least when you die, it is because of something that everyone has. Halo 4 sucked in this regard because you literally had no idea what your opponent was going to have. One of them could have Camo and Boltshot, the other could have Promethean Vision and a LightRifle. 

In Halo 5, everyone starts off with the same stuff. Even though that same stuff can be seen as gimmicky and unbalanced, it doesn't even compare to the mess of Halo 4. I'm optimistic about Halo 5, purely because of that. 

This is honestly not as big of as a deal people make it out to be.

If you played a good bit of Halo 4 ( not to blaim you if you didn't) you quickly realized that good players ran pretty much identical loadouts.

Br or DMR/Lightrifle (for long range maps), Boltshot (always), and thruster or jetpack. Whenever anyone was using something else, they were either a noob, going for an achievement/commendation or just fucking around at their own expense.

The problem really wasn't that you couldn't tell if someone spawned with a boltshot or a magnum, (because everyone with an minimum of gameplay insight knew the obvious choice), but the fact you could start with a boltshot or a similiarly broken AA/perk/etc.

All halo 5 did was eliminate the trivial choice between gimmicky and overpowered and useless and underpowered. Just like you said, its still gimmicky and unbalanced and I'm pessimistic about Halo 5,purely because of that.

I'm not sure exactly why other people aren't keen on the idea, but for me it comes down to the fact that you're actually punished with more randomness simply for having been descoped.

In order to make the problem more obvious, imagine the difference in spread was even bigger. You're standing a few feet from the wall, shooting it. Imagine that the spread when scoped was so tight that the bullets all landed within millimetres of each other, and when descoped the bullets land feet apart.

What this means for combat is that when you are descoped, you have to fight against more spread than your opponent does just to get yourself back into a scoped position. You and your enemy are both shooting with pretty much the exact same accuracy in terms of your skill, but your enemy is scoped in, which means that they'll be more likely to stay scoped in due to how much more likely it is that their shots will land. When you shoot them, even if you're being very accurate and staying very calm, you're not being rewarded as much for your accuracy.

That was an extreme example, but when we lower the difference in spread to what it is in Halo 5, we still have a situation where the same problem is present. The person who has been descoped now has to fight the game and the other player just to get back on top.

Shooting with accuracy and remaining calm while descoped against a scoped player is a skill in itself, due to the fact that the enemy is a smaller target on your screen.

That's a very good point. No one really tested how much spread is changed when scoped but from my experience I don't think the unscoped spread is large enough that being able to land a shot on the opponents body is ever a problem.

Remember when we didn't needed an extra visual indicator to help us aim? Remember the lore that was established as to why Spartans didn't need to ADS?

• Upvote (+1) 5

That's a very good point. No one really tested how much spread is changed when scoped but from my experience I don't think the unscoped spread is large enough that being able to land a shot on the opponents body is ever a problem.

It was tested, actually.

This is honestly not as big of as a deal people make it out to be.

If you played a good bit of Halo 4 ( not to blaim you if you didn't) you quickly realized that good players ran pretty much identical loadouts.

Br or DMR/Lightrifle (for long range maps), Boltshot (always), and thruster or jetpack. Whenever anyone was using something else, they were either a noob, going for an achievement/commendation or just fucking around at their own expense.

The problem really wasn't that you couldn't tell if someone spawned with a boltshot or a magnum, (because everyone with an minimum of gameplay insight knew the obvious choice), but the fact you could start with a boltshot or a similiarly broken AA/perk/etc.

All halo 5 did was eliminate the trivial choice between gimmicky and overpowered and useless and underpowered. Just like you said, its still gimmicky and unbalanced and I'm pessimistic about Halo 5,purely because of that.

>Implying most Halo 4 players were good players.

I mean from a distance longer than 5 feet. 

It doesn't matter how far the wall is

Learn trigonometry

The pattern will look basically the same relative to you no matter how far away the wall is

Honestly, Halo 5 looks better to me than 4 and Reach. It seems fair and predictable again. I just don't know how the abilities will go, I don't like the ground pound at all.

So I just re-read Josh Holmes' ( @@Sal1ent ) post which dropped a huge knowledge bomb about why certain things are still included in Halo 5 and I noticed this little snippet:

Some of the Spartan Abilities are core mobility options like Clamber, Sprint and Thruster that allow for more fluid and natural movement through the environment. They should augment combat in interesting ways, when used effectively. Other abilities are offensive in nature and more oriented toward “crowd-pleaser” moves (like Charge or Ground Pound) that provide a big punctuation point in a match. At a competitive level you are not going to see many GPs attempted in close games because the risk is too high. But when someone does go for it and manages to land it, they deliver a big wow moment that pays off both for them and the viewers of the match.

Now please tell me I'm reading this wrong, I seriously hope I am but is he saying that both Spartan Charge and Ground Pound are only in the game to make people go 'wow' in a competitive match?

Please, somebody tell me I'm wrong :/

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I just re-read Josh Holmes' ( @@Sal1ent ) post which dropped a huge knowledge bomb about why certain things are still included in Halo 5 and I noticed this little snippet:

Now please tell me I'm reading this wrong, I seriously hope I am but is he saying that both Spartan Charge and Ground Pound are only in the game to make people go 'wow' in a competitive match?

Gotta get that flare in Halo eSports

Please, add me if you're looking for a good team to run MM on December 29th. I was in the early access so I have enough experience.

Seems to me like they are the new equivalent to a teabag. You do it only when you are dominating, they are not necessary but risky and insulting. Pointless additions... As much as I hate sprint I can understand its inclusion, but ground pound is just top tier gimmicky shit.

On another note, I would much prefer a game winning kill cam than the dude bro high 5 screen.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think grounds pounds most competitive use will not be used to kill people. Probably doing something weird with it. from what I recall in the 343 pros stream they were using it to stay in the air longer mainly. And Spartan Charge will probably not be used. Unless it's a one hit kill. I didn't play the beta. 

Seems to me like they are the new equivalent to a teabag. You do it only when you are dominating, they are not necessary but risky and insulting. Pointless additions... As much as I hate sprint I can understand its inclusion, but ground pound is just top tier gimmicky shit.

On another note, I would much prefer a game winning kill cam than the dude bro high 5 screen.

Yeah I'd rather that myself. Except with how buggy the killcams are 

The game winning would be some guy getting a skull melee kill on Guardian,

While we are playing Halo 5 TS on Truth 

I wish you were wrong, but no...you are not. We are getting "offensive abilities" for the sake of crowd please and not to Empower the Player.

le sigh

Didn't you hear? LoL, DOTA 2, and CS have all done something like this. CS has a mechanic where a dead body explodes randomly, LoL and DOTA have both featured random fireworks that block the view. That flare does help. There is so much evidence that supports 343's decisions. How can you be against this?

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think grounds pounds most competitive use will not be used to kill people. Probably doing something weird with it. from what I recall in the 343 pros stream they were using it to stay in the air longer mainly. And Spartan Charge will probably not be used. Unless it's a one hit kill. I didn't play the beta. 

Spartan Charge can be used to backsmack a guy sprinting away from you. Even if that's not going to happen often, I'd say it's beneficial to the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

New shots of the Halo 5 Rocket Launcher and Hydra MLRS:

Hydra

h5-mp-beta-regret-hydra-537c8c6ba4594e29

BCnZT49.jpg

swYy82L.jpg

Rocket Launcher

h5-mp-beta-pegasus-throwing-rocks-5e51e8

Rb1rpZU.jpg

UrZdaoi.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

The latest episode of The Bulletin came out and we can finally vote of what weapon we want to see during Week 2 of the Beta.

We have a choice between the Rocket Launcher or the Hydra - the new multi-missle lock-on launcher we've seen briefly.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/bulletins/the-bulletin-episode-6

Please vote for the Hydra - we already know what the Rocket Launcher can do. I want to test the shit out of a new weapon and I want to tell them how fucking good or bad the Hydra is after we've all had a chance to use it. We've had 13 years of using the Rocket Launcher, we don't need to test that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It doesn't matter how far the wall is

Learn trigonometry

The pattern will look basically the same relative to you no matter how far away the wall is

??? The further the bullets travel, the more they will deviate due to spread... you can shoot from far away, then look from up close.

Wow Halo 5 looks good graphically. The spartans look like I'd want them to look. A mix of Halo 3s and Halo 4s. Has the graphical style of Halo 4 but without the shimmer? I don't know how to explain. More grit from Halo 3. It'd like it to be a little bit darker like Halo 3 but still looks good. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wow Halo 5 looks good graphically. The spartans look like I'd want them to look. A mix of Halo 3s and Halo 4s. Has the graphical style of Halo 4 but without the shimmer? I don't know how to explain. More grit from Halo 3. It'd like it to be a little bit darker like Halo 3 but still looks good. 

I actually think they look more electric, which is appropriate from an artistic perspective the Spartan-IV's follow.

The visors are sexy as hell, and that red? Get out, I think I'll be wearing that one for a long time.

I know this isn't the community for Lore but we can finally make a bulkier Mark V armor set with the Mark VI pieces now. YISSSSSS.

• Upvote (+1) 1